- '59 Penfolds Grange reviewed
- Man fronts court over fatal stabbing
- 'I hope you get smashed by the karma bus'
- Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM Abbott and Liberal friends on-side
- AC/DC's Malcolm Young 'seriously unwell'
- Melbourne treated to pink lunar eclipse
- Kindergarten pets mutilated
- Commonwealth Bank customers can't access money
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Greg on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... About time some Politician has been caught out at a Royal Commission or Inquiry,all they ever say is I don't remember or ... more
- Lukew on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... So you can waste billions of dollars of tax payers money mis-managing just about everything - federal and state - and be ... more
- Gazza on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... Standard liberal behaviour more
- boofa on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... PIGS, TROUGH , SNOUT.Lets cover this one up Tony. more
- Sir Matt of the 1950's on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... Lucky Mitchell & little Tommy Elliott are on holidays(again, more holidays than teachers & construction workers they harp on ... more
- Lisa on Commonwealth Bank customers can't ... Australia Post can't take ANY credit cards, because their Eftpos is with Commonwealth. So... People trying to lodge mail ... more
- Milton on Surprise, surprise: Petrol price pain ... It hit $1.71 cents per Litre yesterday in Sydney. So wait for it. more
- Gazza on New way to snap naughty drivers Robert hills comment say it all"we know motorists are quick to put their phone down and put their seatbelt on when they see ... more
- Milton on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Are you blocking all comments about Clive or just the positive ones? more
- Dame Mylene on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Clive Palmer's now the unofficial Prime Minister of Australia. Fun times ahead, Mr Abbott. more
- Milton on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Neil: At least Clive knows how to build businesses and not tear them down. more
- Hooksy from the Country on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Buffoon - pot, kettle, black ...... more
- Mark on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... It would be worse if there were 4 more green loonies. more
- Garry on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Both the Labour and Liberal parties seem hell bent on making themselves unappealing many voters are looking for an ... more
- Dame Mylene on 'One of the biggest law and order ... The only way they'll have a Royal Commission is if they can blame Labor. Otherwise it's not going to happen :p more
- Kristy on Youths charged over Newport crime spree Bloody thugs, blame the pathetic laws for this one too as they know nothing will happen not even a slap on the wrist!! more
- Matt on Youths charged over Newport crime spree So glad I live in Singapore where these criminals would be caught, publicly shamed, caned & jailed. In Melbourne they wont ... more
- Sinbad on 'They've got to do something' Of course, it's also Napthine's fault that he got his head kicked in in the first place ! Now you've got to ask yourself why ... more
- Kevin on 'They've got to do something' Napthine government = fail more
- Ken of Euroa on 'They've got to do something' If he had a fractured neck he wouldn't be standing up more
Memories haunt every day
THURSDAY: One of the Good Samaritans who tried to save a woman, set on fire by her partner at a Bayswater petrol station says he still lives with the horror.
Bayswater man David Warrick Hopkins was yesterday sentenced to life with a 30-year minimum, convicted of pouring petrol on his de facto, Nicole Miller, then stabbing her and setting her on fire.
Beau Fleming was at that service station in June of last year and tried to save the woman.
He's told Neil Mitchell it still haunts him.
Listen to his interview in full below.
WEDNESDAY: A man who taunted his de facto partner after he poured petrol on her, stabbed her and set her on fire at a suburban petrol station has been jailed.
In sentencing 42-year-old Bayswater man David Warrick Hopkins, Supreme Court Justice Betty King said so many people were traumatised by Hopkins' actions and said it was amongst the worst kind of viciousness and sadistic behaviour a court was ever likely to see.
Hopkins, who was on a cocktail of drugs and in a rage for no apparent reason, poured petrol over mother of three, Nicole Miller, before he stabbed her and set her on fire at a Bayswater service station in June last year.
Hopkins swore at and taunted Ms Miller and used a knife to stop witnesses from trying to help her after she crawled from the car screaming in pain and asking for help.
Hopkins eventually fled when driven at by another car and when police found him nearby he tried to suck gas from a pipe and cut an electrical cord to give himself a shock.
He was jailed for life with a 30-year minimum after he pleaded guilty to one count of murder.
IMAGE: The scene on the day of the murder.
Poor baby. Any thoughts for the off duty Police officer who was hung, drawn and quartered because he happened to be going past, and decided to do the right thing and stop? He was hung out to dry by overpaid pen pushers with absolutely no idea of the seriousness of the situation. My advice to ANY Police officer who approaches a situation off-duty, KEEP DRIVING, IT IS NOT WORTH IT.Gus Thursday 20 October, 2011 - 7:15 PM
thank god there are people like beau in this world. it takes someone extraordinary to do what he did that day. selfless. set the perp on fire. an eye for an eye.. 30 years is not enough. BRING BACK CAPITAL PUNISHMENT. is there a stronger case for it ???andrew norton Thursday 20 October, 2011 - 10:17 AM
I'm not an advocate of capital punishment, but this story almost changes that. To think he will get a chance at parole one day astounds me. An American court would give him 125 years!JR Wednesday 19 October, 2011 - 8:53 PM
Why is a minimum term set? Life should mean life with NO possible chance of release!Pam B Wednesday 19 October, 2011 - 7:43 PM
This is a case for bringing in the death penalty. You can still live back in society after 30 years (life sentence) in jail. Once your convicted and on death row you will never get out.hawkeye Wednesday 19 October, 2011 - 6:15 PM
No prison sentence is sufficient for what this scum of the earth did. He should be put to DEATH. No ifs. No buts. No maybes.
What a sick society we live in, where it's perfectly okay to murder innocents in the womb but not okay to terminate the life of a monster like this.
Woe to them that call good evil, and evil good!Davo Wednesday 19 October, 2011 - 4:09 PM