- Hird, Essendon have their days in court
- Where has it gone wrong for Qantas?
- Police hunt man after lift assault
- Teens injured in Western Ring Road drag racing flip
- James Hird nominates Patrick Smith
- I found the experience so deeply unsettling
- 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives'
- $400k fire at iconic St Kilda restaurant
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Going after Greens voters.. Their evil twin the Greens won't be to impressed with that more
- Ross on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' "Process", "Process", "Process". Davis is a broken record. I'm a Paramedic, and if I had a dollar for every time he's called ... more
- Gloria on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Danny Boy Andrews, how to win friends and influence people, bring in a drug law that can be rorted by druggies and ... more
- Peggy on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' What a situation we are going to be in at the next election. If we want to do the right thing and have this approved and ... more
- Samantha Mclean on Shoeless creep attacks in Fitzroy North Put guards back at all stations!!! more
- IBARKER on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Tell him to walk and if he does he might loose one of those "CHINS". more
- Atticus on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... He parked put the front so that porky would not have to walk too far.Disgrace. more
- James on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Why didn't 3AW give him a spot in the visitor car park if he is expected/a regular guest? more
- Bugs54 on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If you park your car on the nature strip the council will say it's their land and fine you,yet they want you to mow it and ... more
- Mr Gararth on Monash Council to fine you for not ... No wonder Rudd dropped Geoff Lake as the candidate for Hotham last year. Get out of our lives local government! more
- KANE on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Melbournians are going to be 'Taxed, Dutied, Priced, Tar riffed, Levied, Excised, Pork Barreled OUT OF EXISTANCE!!! more
- Geoff on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Easy solution to the problem. If the council don't want to look after their own land ie the nature strips, just give the ... more
- mylene on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If Darebin council tried this they'd make a billion dollars before the sun went down. more
- bc on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' get WADA to come in over the top and give the killer blow stuff the AFL and hird and doctor little more
- Rod on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' What's Paul Little talking about. They have only been in court for 3 days. If Essendon don't get some sort of penalty, Then ... more
- Mooroolbark Mick on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' "Swepped" indicates the level of intelligence we have in this debate. I give up! more
- Peter Flynn on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Yes we the footy public do want to know and if the Essendon Football Club and James Hird were not gagged maybe we would. And ... more
- Docklands on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Show Cause Notices Issued.Essendon shows bokk of what was given and on what dates and to who ?Notices withdrawn. What has ... more
- Arthur Hiliard on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' If these footy "sportsman" have nothing to hide they should be welcoming any investigation! Seems they're a bit shocked to ... more
- David on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' We haven't got deal fatigue. We want to see Essendon held to account. Let the charges be heard! The public wants to see ... more
Memories haunt every day
THURSDAY: One of the Good Samaritans who tried to save a woman, set on fire by her partner at a Bayswater petrol station says he still lives with the horror.
Bayswater man David Warrick Hopkins was yesterday sentenced to life with a 30-year minimum, convicted of pouring petrol on his de facto, Nicole Miller, then stabbing her and setting her on fire.
Beau Fleming was at that service station in June of last year and tried to save the woman.
He's told Neil Mitchell it still haunts him.
Listen to his interview in full below.
WEDNESDAY: A man who taunted his de facto partner after he poured petrol on her, stabbed her and set her on fire at a suburban petrol station has been jailed.
In sentencing 42-year-old Bayswater man David Warrick Hopkins, Supreme Court Justice Betty King said so many people were traumatised by Hopkins' actions and said it was amongst the worst kind of viciousness and sadistic behaviour a court was ever likely to see.
Hopkins, who was on a cocktail of drugs and in a rage for no apparent reason, poured petrol over mother of three, Nicole Miller, before he stabbed her and set her on fire at a Bayswater service station in June last year.
Hopkins swore at and taunted Ms Miller and used a knife to stop witnesses from trying to help her after she crawled from the car screaming in pain and asking for help.
Hopkins eventually fled when driven at by another car and when police found him nearby he tried to suck gas from a pipe and cut an electrical cord to give himself a shock.
He was jailed for life with a 30-year minimum after he pleaded guilty to one count of murder.
IMAGE: The scene on the day of the murder.
Poor baby. Any thoughts for the off duty Police officer who was hung, drawn and quartered because he happened to be going past, and decided to do the right thing and stop? He was hung out to dry by overpaid pen pushers with absolutely no idea of the seriousness of the situation. My advice to ANY Police officer who approaches a situation off-duty, KEEP DRIVING, IT IS NOT WORTH IT.Gus Thursday 20 October, 2011 - 7:15 PM
thank god there are people like beau in this world. it takes someone extraordinary to do what he did that day. selfless. set the perp on fire. an eye for an eye.. 30 years is not enough. BRING BACK CAPITAL PUNISHMENT. is there a stronger case for it ???andrew norton Thursday 20 October, 2011 - 10:17 AM
I'm not an advocate of capital punishment, but this story almost changes that. To think he will get a chance at parole one day astounds me. An American court would give him 125 years!JR Wednesday 19 October, 2011 - 8:53 PM
Why is a minimum term set? Life should mean life with NO possible chance of release!Pam B Wednesday 19 October, 2011 - 7:43 PM
This is a case for bringing in the death penalty. You can still live back in society after 30 years (life sentence) in jail. Once your convicted and on death row you will never get out.hawkeye Wednesday 19 October, 2011 - 6:15 PM
No prison sentence is sufficient for what this scum of the earth did. He should be put to DEATH. No ifs. No buts. No maybes.
What a sick society we live in, where it's perfectly okay to murder innocents in the womb but not okay to terminate the life of a monster like this.
Woe to them that call good evil, and evil good!Davo Wednesday 19 October, 2011 - 4:09 PM