- GWS joins gay marriage debate
- Smoking cops 'not a good look'
- Sly's Policeman of the year award
- Husband's 'brutal' bludgeoning to stop wife moving
- The most powerful selfie ever?
- Bung case not limited to one man: Lay
- Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry assistance
- Concerns for missing 14-year-old
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- bc on Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry ... ask mud guts hockey to take a pay cut not on your life buddy neil ask hockey how much is it costing the tax payers flying ... more
- double standards for coppers on Smoking cops 'not a good look' Former Victoria Police detective Charlie Bezzina, who has(had) 38 years experience in force, says sometimes internal police ... more
- wayne on Having issues streaming 3AW? I listen to the ABC because I still cant get any Fairfax Stations at all and the computer is two years old FIX IT more
- bigmoralcopper on Man launches petition to reel in ... Perhaps if this Steve, who by his own admission was employed for over thirty years constant,was made to follow the ... more
- oh dear on GWS joins gay marriage debate what will Gay Western Sydney do next? support climate change legislation and asylum seekers? more
- mandy on Killer whales spotted in Western Port ... Don't tell those rednecks in W.A Peter Glee son,Greg Hunt,and the fisheries minister Troy Buswell they will want them culled ... more
- Will on Face-bong: Online drug market On Neils show today it was mentioned that 5 people had been put in intensive care this week using the fake synthetic ... more
- Steve on Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry ... Why don't the government give all the money that goes to Indonesia to the car industry? charity begins at home or it should ... more
- Steve on Preston road rage caught on camera Morons; like this bloke should lose their license good chance he may have been on drugs the rear number plate is visible so ... more
- Pradman on Preston road rage caught on camera '....she was punched in the face by a cyclist.' after she did an illegal u-turn on Beach Road. more
- Aria Judilla on Preston road rage caught on camera I'm just waiting for all the usual feral drivers to start cheering on the braindead ute driver because the other car ... more
- jgl Melb on The most powerful selfie ever? South Africa can think themselves lucky Dubbya didn't invade the joint looking for WMD. more
- Chris on Man launches petition to reel in ... Typical feral female. more
- mylene on Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry ... Hockey seems to be enjoying this. It's good to see someone so happy just doing their job. more
- Joseph Logan on Husband's 'brutal' bludgeoning to stop ... So Judge thinks it is "selfish, egotistical and controlling to love and want three children? The woman was taking the 3 to ... more
- Christine on Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry ... It's time this industry stood on their own and stop threatening the Government. Same with the unions, get in the real ... more
- Catherine on The most powerful selfie ever? I find this action to be totally disrespectful. more
- Gloss on Baby Daniel 'gagged, tied, kept in a ... The mother knew her son was being tortured and did NOTHING because she was frightened. Come on, how frightened was her poor ... more
- GIW on Man launches petition to reel in ... How about petition for those who belive this feral idiot got what she deserved. more
- kezza on 'Livelihood' stolen while family slept these guys not only have had their livelihood stolen, but have battled to recover since the devastating Black Saturday ... more
Memories haunt every day
THURSDAY: One of the Good Samaritans who tried to save a woman, set on fire by her partner at a Bayswater petrol station says he still lives with the horror.
Bayswater man David Warrick Hopkins was yesterday sentenced to life with a 30-year minimum, convicted of pouring petrol on his de facto, Nicole Miller, then stabbing her and setting her on fire.
Beau Fleming was at that service station in June of last year and tried to save the woman.
He's told Neil Mitchell it still haunts him.
Listen to his interview in full below.
WEDNESDAY: A man who taunted his de facto partner after he poured petrol on her, stabbed her and set her on fire at a suburban petrol station has been jailed.
In sentencing 42-year-old Bayswater man David Warrick Hopkins, Supreme Court Justice Betty King said so many people were traumatised by Hopkins' actions and said it was amongst the worst kind of viciousness and sadistic behaviour a court was ever likely to see.
Hopkins, who was on a cocktail of drugs and in a rage for no apparent reason, poured petrol over mother of three, Nicole Miller, before he stabbed her and set her on fire at a Bayswater service station in June last year.
Hopkins swore at and taunted Ms Miller and used a knife to stop witnesses from trying to help her after she crawled from the car screaming in pain and asking for help.
Hopkins eventually fled when driven at by another car and when police found him nearby he tried to suck gas from a pipe and cut an electrical cord to give himself a shock.
He was jailed for life with a 30-year minimum after he pleaded guilty to one count of murder.
IMAGE: The scene on the day of the murder.
Poor baby. Any thoughts for the off duty Police officer who was hung, drawn and quartered because he happened to be going past, and decided to do the right thing and stop? He was hung out to dry by overpaid pen pushers with absolutely no idea of the seriousness of the situation. My advice to ANY Police officer who approaches a situation off-duty, KEEP DRIVING, IT IS NOT WORTH IT.Gus Thursday 20 October, 2011 - 7:15 PM
thank god there are people like beau in this world. it takes someone extraordinary to do what he did that day. selfless. set the perp on fire. an eye for an eye.. 30 years is not enough. BRING BACK CAPITAL PUNISHMENT. is there a stronger case for it ???andrew norton Thursday 20 October, 2011 - 10:17 AM
I'm not an advocate of capital punishment, but this story almost changes that. To think he will get a chance at parole one day astounds me. An American court would give him 125 years!JR Wednesday 19 October, 2011 - 8:53 PM
Why is a minimum term set? Life should mean life with NO possible chance of release!Pam B Wednesday 19 October, 2011 - 7:43 PM
This is a case for bringing in the death penalty. You can still live back in society after 30 years (life sentence) in jail. Once your convicted and on death row you will never get out.hawkeye Wednesday 19 October, 2011 - 6:15 PM
No prison sentence is sufficient for what this scum of the earth did. He should be put to DEATH. No ifs. No buts. No maybes.
What a sick society we live in, where it's perfectly okay to murder innocents in the womb but not okay to terminate the life of a monster like this.
Woe to them that call good evil, and evil good!Davo Wednesday 19 October, 2011 - 4:09 PM