- Woman arrested over racist train assault
- Detective of the Year, Wayne Cheeseman, with Ross, John and Sly
- Ebola virus diagnosed in the US
- FBI help police swoop on accused terror aid
- Bike found with woman's body found at Benalla
- Government puts pen to paper on East West contracts
- Woman assaulted, abused on train
- Out-of-control driver smashes into Hawthorn home fence
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- acetrim on Ebola virus diagnosed in the US Why do people who come come back from Ebola infested places go into quarantine we quarantine plants and animals more
- Linda on Ebola virus diagnosed in the US How hard would it be to quarantine people coming in from affected countries for a couple of weeks? Inconvenient yes, but ... more
- Mick on Labor leads election polls can't believe there are that many stupid people in the state, I was a regular Labour voter, not any more, all labour want to ... more
- PJ on Labor leads election polls i simply cannot believe Victorians think a socialist will provide economic security and do nothing other than increase CFMEU ... more
- Willow on Labor leads election polls I can't believe that people would prefer Dopey Danny as Premier. Then again this was published in THE AGE which is a wing of ... more
- David T. on Labor leads election polls How soon people forget the incompetence and spending waste of the previous Labor governments. more
- mylene on Labor leads election polls No surprise. The Liberals are cheerleaders for big business sacking workers and avoiding taxes. Their record on public ... more
- Gazza on Labor leads election polls Bring on the election more
- Joy of Clayton on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error What a stupid comment "Seriously" has made. Some people will recognise this young fellow as the person who lives next door, ... more
- Seriously on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error Yes it was a stupid mistake but the the guy they mistook him foreveryone knows is no longer walking around. And who ... more
- Sam on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error As David T commnted above one wonders about the research and verification process related to such an important news ... more
- David T. on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error As if the decent Muslims don't have enough problems caused by these Isil thugs; now the Fairfax press is causing them ... more
- Factsseeker on Police put on high alert Every country has its violent extremists. Our prisons are full of these people. Each bikie gang seems to have a small number ... more
- pete on Police put on high alert make muslims pay for extra security via taxes also families of young terrorists to be charged with facilitation more
- PJ on Police put on high alert Your interview with Krayem was disappointing. He basically said this murderous maniac was our problem and not his ... more
- Stephen james on Police put on high alert Abbott really needs to cut down on the fear and loathing rhetoric,stop this silly Team Oz stuff, and start talking in more ... more
- Jane on Police put on high alert "A little disappointed with Victoria Polices' immediate reaction". Well Mr Ghaith, I am disappointed with Muslim community ... more
- John on Police put on high alert Islamic Council - you are kidding right? Where is your condemnation for the youth that took a knife to the meeting and ... more
- karen on Police put on high alert The Islamic council was disappointed by police reaction? Are you kidding me? They will always find an excuse! It's really ... more
- Ed Niemiec on Police put on high alert Well done Vic Pol!! more
MP criticised for politicising Australia Day
A local Member of Parliament has come under criticism for holding a political fundraiser on Australia Day.
The invite, which was sent mainly to Liberal Party supporters, asks recipients to 'Join them in celebrating Australia Day with all funds going to support the re-election of Hon Bruce Billson' with a large Australian Flag in the background.
Should Australia Day be used for political fundraising? Comment below
3AW Morning Host Justin Smith said fundraisers were a political reality, but the timing and Australian insignia raises questions.
"Bruce Billson is an MP and Greg Hunt is involved in this as well, he’s the member of Flinders, and they are both still members of Parliament. Surely there is something better they could be doing on Australia day than asking people for money" Justin Smith told his listeners.
Lifetime Australia Day Ambassador Dr Hugh Wirth said the event was bordering on unethical.
"You don’t celebrate Australia Day by raising money for a local MP," he said.
"I’m outraged. It’s completely unethical to do what they’ve done.
"If the electorate wants to run a fundraiser to re-elect a local politician but don’t do it in the name of Australia Day and what Australia Day means to people."
TO ALL YOU VOTERS THAT HAVE THE "BALLS" TO SAY YOU VOTED LABOR AT THE LAST ELECTION. HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME.??.GET A LIFE AND GET RID OF "JULIAR".IAN Saturday 29 December, 2012 - 1:36 PM
What do people expect from the Liberal party, they only care about money & helping their rich mates, even if it means exploiting Australia Day. Also Justin is going to be in trouble, you can't have a go at Mitchell's party without repercussions.Marco Friday 28 December, 2012 - 7:56 AM
@Matt against everything Aussie, why would you care what anyone does on Australia Day as surely you would not observe it in any way, shape or form? You are truly a most obnoxious person, I could think of more adjectives that would suit you and your anti-Australian comments but won't lower myself to your rotten level. Ditto to @Peter Hillster.Proud Australian Thursday 27 December, 2012 - 6:40 PM
@Matt; Bearing in mind that there were a number of countries in the 1700's and 1800's that were looking to add to their influence by adding "new" lands to their colonies; which would you prefer to have settled/colonised Australia: France? Spain? Germany? Russia? Japan? China? England? The fact is that "Invasion" was going to happen; it was only a question of who was going to do it.David T. Thursday 27 December, 2012 - 5:49 PM
So what?? The sooner the Libs get back in power the sooner we will have a responsible government this is important to Australia,old Hugh Wirth should stay in his cage>!!Steve Thursday 27 December, 2012 - 2:17 PM
Couldn't agree more with Peter Hillster, the day had been hijacked by drunken bogans draped in Aussie flags walking around snearing at anyone who isn't Anglo. It's become a racist day, which is probably befitting as the day celebrates an invasion & subsequent massacre of a ancient culture.Matt - proudly Un-Australian Thursday 27 December, 2012 - 1:20 PM