- Elderly woman killed at Reservoir
- Neil's Pics: Radio selfies
- Gang attack over baseball cap
- I never injected anyone: Demetriou
- Demetriou steps aside
- Tottenham soccer player di(v)es
- Laverton home goes up in flames
- William and Kate avoid Melbourne on royal tour
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Garry on Kew coup: Napthine's headache The extreme right of the Liberal Party strikes again, a good competent member now in trouble, Smith is probably one of Tom's ... more
- l ross on Demetriou steps aside Best News IN years more
- Brendan on Demetriou steps aside Andrew has done an excellent job. Its all about bums on seats and tv. ratings. A+ in both areas. more
- Steve. on Demetriou steps aside And not before time, the man was always out of his depth. more
- David on Demetriou steps aside He should have been removed last year for his attack on Essendon with no evidence or proof of any wrong doing. He did a ... more
- Kate on Demetriou steps aside I think this was in the rumour file! more
- biggles on Kew coup: Napthine's headache Qantas will av a jobe for her more
- Pradman on Kew coup: Napthine's headache Good to see some young blood instead of another matron. more
- Gazza on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault What a surprise more workers lose their jobs after Abbott/WORKCHOICES is elected.its the liberal way...... more
- colin on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault Hey, didn't a high profile 3AW minion classify this this whole thing as Bulltish.Haven't seen a rebuttal, but I will not ... more
- klarie mcintyre on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault how can a australian carrier expect to be sustainable when qantas opted to purchase a380s instead of 777-300ers which are ... more
- Bruno Marino on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault It's about time that we stop blaming all the companies that are RUNNING away from Australia and turn our attention on the ... more
- ian on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault Tell Joyce to spend less on his hair DYE ?and he might save the AIRLINE.??? more
- Rachel on Talking Geelong I have started a Meetup Group called Grassroots Geelong Grassroots Geelong is an ideas exchange and Meetup group for ... more
- JX on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault The union leaders won't rest until every Australian business goes under. You only have to look at the ex union hacks in the ... more
- david on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault Hi perhaps, if those saving a couple of dollars on the cheap airlines should have put their hand in their pocket and flown ... more
- Reg Claybrook on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault Clearly Joyce has to go. Its almost beyond belief he is still there. Like to hear what John Borghetti, now with Virgin,what ... more
- Steve on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault High wage demands by greedy unions and labors carbon tax have had a big influence on these decisions by Qantas and others ... more
- Steve on Dawson always loved Miller: Ford What a tragic waste of life and talent,R.I.P Charlotte.. more
- Janet P on Dawson always loved Miller: Ford Very Sad News she was a lovely lady, RIP. more
MP criticised for politicising Australia Day
A local Member of Parliament has come under criticism for holding a political fundraiser on Australia Day.
The invite, which was sent mainly to Liberal Party supporters, asks recipients to 'Join them in celebrating Australia Day with all funds going to support the re-election of Hon Bruce Billson' with a large Australian Flag in the background.
Should Australia Day be used for political fundraising? Comment below
3AW Morning Host Justin Smith said fundraisers were a political reality, but the timing and Australian insignia raises questions.
"Bruce Billson is an MP and Greg Hunt is involved in this as well, he’s the member of Flinders, and they are both still members of Parliament. Surely there is something better they could be doing on Australia day than asking people for money" Justin Smith told his listeners.
Lifetime Australia Day Ambassador Dr Hugh Wirth said the event was bordering on unethical.
"You don’t celebrate Australia Day by raising money for a local MP," he said.
"I’m outraged. It’s completely unethical to do what they’ve done.
"If the electorate wants to run a fundraiser to re-elect a local politician but don’t do it in the name of Australia Day and what Australia Day means to people."
TO ALL YOU VOTERS THAT HAVE THE "BALLS" TO SAY YOU VOTED LABOR AT THE LAST ELECTION. HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME.??.GET A LIFE AND GET RID OF "JULIAR".IAN Saturday 29 December, 2012 - 1:36 PM
What do people expect from the Liberal party, they only care about money & helping their rich mates, even if it means exploiting Australia Day. Also Justin is going to be in trouble, you can't have a go at Mitchell's party without repercussions.Marco Friday 28 December, 2012 - 7:56 AM
@Matt against everything Aussie, why would you care what anyone does on Australia Day as surely you would not observe it in any way, shape or form? You are truly a most obnoxious person, I could think of more adjectives that would suit you and your anti-Australian comments but won't lower myself to your rotten level. Ditto to @Peter Hillster.Proud Australian Thursday 27 December, 2012 - 6:40 PM
@Matt; Bearing in mind that there were a number of countries in the 1700's and 1800's that were looking to add to their influence by adding "new" lands to their colonies; which would you prefer to have settled/colonised Australia: France? Spain? Germany? Russia? Japan? China? England? The fact is that "Invasion" was going to happen; it was only a question of who was going to do it.David T. Thursday 27 December, 2012 - 5:49 PM
So what?? The sooner the Libs get back in power the sooner we will have a responsible government this is important to Australia,old Hugh Wirth should stay in his cage>!!Steve Thursday 27 December, 2012 - 2:17 PM
Couldn't agree more with Peter Hillster, the day had been hijacked by drunken bogans draped in Aussie flags walking around snearing at anyone who isn't Anglo. It's become a racist day, which is probably befitting as the day celebrates an invasion & subsequent massacre of a ancient culture.Matt - proudly Un-Australian Thursday 27 December, 2012 - 1:20 PM