- Mum killer was on parole for rape
- Parolee killer jailed for life
- Corcoran wants out of Essendon
- Apollo theatre ceiling collapses
- Two murder charges over Wayne Amey death
- Abbott must renege on promises: Kennett
- Ashes theft: 'They steal your memories'
- Protests: East-West drilling begins
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- bushiepete on Parolee killer jailed for life justice hollingworth thank you you got this right.. more
- jgl Melb on Parolee killer jailed for life It appears the community outrage at ridiculously lenient sentencing is at last being heard. more
- Christine on Protests: East-West drilling begins So let's do a poll on how many tax payers are happy about the time police are spending at this site. If you're not dole ... more
- Logic on Protests: East-West drilling begins Carol. The fact that most people do not want the tunnel was confirmed by last month's Neilsen poll. That's where the 74% ... more
- Jan Lannan on Corcoran wants out of Essendon So another 1 has left the sinking ship so much 4 staying 2gether thru thick & thin when Carlton we down we all stuck thru ... more
- Lisa on Abbott must renege on promises: Kennett We never got a hand-out in years gone past. We saved to have our Children. What is the Country coming to, just throw out ... more
- mandy on Donna, Mandy to be excused What a bunch of low life losers that poor child never stood a chance its a shame child protection authorities here don't do ... more
- mandy on Abbott must renege on promises: Kennett I couldn't agree with Jeff more scrap the paid parental leave and sort out important priorities. more
- Samuel J on Protester, 60, claims she was 'punched ... Rosie got what she deserved. Law and order must prevail in this country. The police were doing their job. more
- Logic on Protests: East-West drilling begins Can we please have the Doncaster rail that was promised instead? No protests, nobody forced from their home, jobs created, ... more
- ian on Protests: East-West drilling begins Bring the water cannons in. more
- Pradman on Ashes theft: 'They steal your memories' '...other valuable items'? more
- PJ on 'Haters will hate': Tim Wilson He's not a socialist do the Lefties have filled his Twitter full of tweets of hate.And then this from the President of the ... more
- Willow on Abbott must renege on promises: Kennett I am a Liberal devotee but if I was to turn against Mr Abbott it would be the Paid Parental Scheme that would do it. ... more
- Justin on Protests: East-West drilling begins I wonder how Stephen Mayne's union colleagues feel about him protesting against long term infrastructure works for ... more
- Peggy on Donna, Mandy to be excused It doens't make sense why these women are excused when there reason to believe this poor child was tortured.Who are they ... more
- Carol on Protests: East-West drilling begins Yeh right... Kate.. 74% dont want it???.. I would count again, seems more WANT it than dont from the people I speak to... ... more
- Dee on Protests: East-West drilling begins Measuring the support of protesters by how many "likes" a Facebook page gets? Bahahahaha Do these people live in the real ... more
- Justin on Protests: East-West drilling begins I was involved in the protest against the North South Pipeline. The ALP at the time and the inner city latte set labelled us ... more
- Linda on Protests: East-West drilling begins @ Mandy. My husband has attended many protest, including the McDonalds protest in Tecoma. It is the aim of protesters to get ... more
MP criticised for politicising Australia Day
A local Member of Parliament has come under criticism for holding a political fundraiser on Australia Day.
The invite, which was sent mainly to Liberal Party supporters, asks recipients to 'Join them in celebrating Australia Day with all funds going to support the re-election of Hon Bruce Billson' with a large Australian Flag in the background.
Should Australia Day be used for political fundraising? Comment below
3AW Morning Host Justin Smith said fundraisers were a political reality, but the timing and Australian insignia raises questions.
"Bruce Billson is an MP and Greg Hunt is involved in this as well, he’s the member of Flinders, and they are both still members of Parliament. Surely there is something better they could be doing on Australia day than asking people for money" Justin Smith told his listeners.
Lifetime Australia Day Ambassador Dr Hugh Wirth said the event was bordering on unethical.
"You don’t celebrate Australia Day by raising money for a local MP," he said.
"I’m outraged. It’s completely unethical to do what they’ve done.
"If the electorate wants to run a fundraiser to re-elect a local politician but don’t do it in the name of Australia Day and what Australia Day means to people."
TO ALL YOU VOTERS THAT HAVE THE "BALLS" TO SAY YOU VOTED LABOR AT THE LAST ELECTION. HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME.??.GET A LIFE AND GET RID OF "JULIAR".IAN Saturday 29 December, 2012 - 1:36 PM
What do people expect from the Liberal party, they only care about money & helping their rich mates, even if it means exploiting Australia Day. Also Justin is going to be in trouble, you can't have a go at Mitchell's party without repercussions.Marco Friday 28 December, 2012 - 7:56 AM
@Matt against everything Aussie, why would you care what anyone does on Australia Day as surely you would not observe it in any way, shape or form? You are truly a most obnoxious person, I could think of more adjectives that would suit you and your anti-Australian comments but won't lower myself to your rotten level. Ditto to @Peter Hillster.Proud Australian Thursday 27 December, 2012 - 6:40 PM
@Matt; Bearing in mind that there were a number of countries in the 1700's and 1800's that were looking to add to their influence by adding "new" lands to their colonies; which would you prefer to have settled/colonised Australia: France? Spain? Germany? Russia? Japan? China? England? The fact is that "Invasion" was going to happen; it was only a question of who was going to do it.David T. Thursday 27 December, 2012 - 5:49 PM
So what?? The sooner the Libs get back in power the sooner we will have a responsible government this is important to Australia,old Hugh Wirth should stay in his cage>!!Steve Thursday 27 December, 2012 - 2:17 PM
Couldn't agree more with Peter Hillster, the day had been hijacked by drunken bogans draped in Aussie flags walking around snearing at anyone who isn't Anglo. It's become a racist day, which is probably befitting as the day celebrates an invasion & subsequent massacre of a ancient culture.Matt - proudly Un-Australian Thursday 27 December, 2012 - 1:20 PM