- Jim Schembri reviews: Hercules 3D, Mrs Browns Boys D'Movie and more
- 'Heads must roll, or the voters will roll you'
- On the road with Patty the poet cabbie
- Marathon hero, hamburger lover
- Peter Slipper found guilty
- Demons sign Paul Roos for another year
- Seal swims to South Yarra
- Police investigate football leg break
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
Newton 'misleads' on violence
UPDATE: Anti-domestic violence organisation White Ribbon says Matthew Newton is not taking enough responsibility for his actions, following the actor's controversial TV interview on Monday night.
Newton, who talked about his battles with mental illness in an interview on Channel Nine's A Current Affair, was on Monday described by 3AW reporter Peter Ford as a 'poster boy for domestic violence' after allegations of violence were levelled against him by former partners Brooke Satchwell and Rachel Taylor.
White Ribbon Australia head, Dr Michael Flood, has questioned whether Newton sent the right message to the almost 1 million people who watched the program.
"Matthew Newton's story puts the spotlight on some men's use of violence against women. But it also misleads," said Dr Flood.
"Men who've abused a partner are more likely to stop if they acknowledge their violent behaviour and the harm it has caused others, make a commitment to change, address their sexist beliefs and sense of entitlement in dominating partners; and seek professional help in perpetrators' programs."
"So far, Matthew Newton hasn't done enough to take responsibility for his actions or commit himself to changing them."
Dr Flood was careful not to be flippant about Newton's battle with mental illness, however, acknowledging it 'can be a risk factor for violence'.
But Dr Flood says 'most men who abuse and control their partners aren't suffering depression or other mental ill health and use violence because they feel entitled to do so'.
"Their violence is one way they seek to dominate their partners. Men's violence against women is a symptom of gender inequalities and our culture's tolerance for violence," Dr Flood said.
As Neil Mitchell mentioned on Monday, it is White Ribbon Day this Friday, when men and boys are encouraged to swear to the oath: "Never to commit, excuse or remain silent about violence against women."
EARLIER: Patti Newton says she wondered why her son Matthew would agree to a television interview about his troubled past.
The 34-year-old actor spoke to Channel Nine about his battle with manic depression and allegations he assaulted girlfriends Brooke Satchwell and Rachel Taylor.
Matthew Newton, 34, told A Current Affair he suffers manic depression which has caused him to abuse himself and others.
He's currently being treated for his condition.
He says he is ashamed of his behaviour.
RATINGS: The highly-provocative Matthew Newton interview on Channel Nine's A Current Affair has failed to translate into a ratings success.
A Current Affairs had 971,000 viewers while Today Tonight secured 1.1 million viewers.
Lifeline: 13 11 14
Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800
MensLine Australia: 1300 78 99 78
Headspace (Non-crises youth support): 1800 650 890
PLAY: Neil Mitchell tests the audience on Newton interview
Matthew Newton has 'become the poster boy for domestic violence', says 3AW Breakfast Entertainment Reporter Peter Ford on the mentally ill actor's pre-recorded A Current Affair interview which has been shown. Click on the image on the right.
3AW SPECIAL: Neil Mitchell held a mental health / suicide forum in November. The commercial-free segment includes Neil Mitchell hosting discussion between Michael Carr Gregg, Adolescant Pyschologist, Professor Pat McGorry, Executive Director of Orygen Youth Health and Tom Harkin, Youth Worker with the Reach Foundation.
The level of compassion and understanding shown by the contributors to this site is staggering.Lukew Thursday 24 November, 2011 - 8:14 AM
I really do not think Bert and Patti are milking their son's problems at all.
I am sure they are frustrated immensely with Matthew's problems like any parent would be.
You reach your wit's end sometimes with children and you do not know what to do, when things go wrong.
Compassion please for Bert and Patti, they would give anything for Matthew to be well.Faye Wednesday 23 November, 2011 - 2:06 PM
Matthew Newton is a no talent twit. If he's serious about getting help for whatever he claims to have, then going on national television to talk about it should not be part of his therapy. Men who beat up women are simply cowards and deserve to be behind bars. If he thinks he's so 'dangerous' why not stand up to someone you know you can't beat?Richard Wednesday 23 November, 2011 - 10:25 AM
Please tell me we will not have to suffer Bert and Patties reaction on ACA. Matthew Newton is nothing more than a coward and his parent will milk it for all its worth. Why can't you Newton's just blow away in the wind.Jane Tuesday 22 November, 2011 - 7:07 PM
HOW MUCH WAS THIS PATHATIC GUY PAID....
no sympathies at all for this prat....might be trying to get another job promo.
poor old aca..
drop[ the useless showchris watts Tuesday 22 November, 2011 - 4:29 PM
Newton, is wallowing in self pity,it back fired for channel 9 ratings as well>!Steve Tuesday 22 November, 2011 - 4:20 PM