- Two murdered with kids in the house
- One killed in South Yarra apartment fire
- Taxi driver jailed for raping teenage girl
- Soccer Match-fixer pleads guilty
- Myki confusion forces closure of Southern Cross info booth
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Reward offered for information on Grandmother's murder
- Western Bulldogs dump cheer squad
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Joseph Logan on Two murdered with kids in the house I am just wondering if a FamIly Law Court decision had anything to do with this this " domestic violence"? Like, one man ... more
- Gary on Myki confusion forces closure of ... MYKI was always a job for the boys and a way to milk the system for mates. When once I raised a question about long lunches ... more
- Graeme on Myki confusion forces closure of ... One big mistake the Libs did when they got into power....not scrap this crap system and return to the old one. If it isn't ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Western Bulldogs dump cheer squad The Bulldogs also new a new song and no more a silly cheer squad yelling Woof woof it is so stupid....the doggies are ..it. more
- Simon on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Just part of the legacy of Steve Bracks! I miss being able to ride a tram occasionally but its too damn difficult. I hope ... more
- Carole Campisano on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... Puneet is only concerned about his own welfare right now,it's all about him.He hasn't considered the poor victim's ... more
- jason on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 A great man who can now rest in peace. As for Mylene, you really are a weird miserable thing. more
- jason on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Another ripper Labor project which was estimated at $400,000 yet turned out to be the world's most expensive ticketing sytem ... more
- Christine on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... I totally agree with Trent's comments. This person has a nerve carrying on about how he thinks he will be treated, when he ... more
- Lukew on Myki confusion forces closure of ... I am not surprised. Myki confusion is reducing the number of people using public transport, especially casual users and ... more
- Gloss on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 You must all know by now that mylene never misses an opportunity to slag off at Tony and the Libs. Yes a true lefty with a ... more
- Steve on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... This gutless coward will be treated for what he is a hit and run driver and when there is a fatality he deserves to do time ... more
- Mark on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Oh Mylene - what a cuddly witty little lefty you are. Your lack of decency and judgement knows no boundaries. more
- trent on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... He won't be treated as a terrorist. He'll be treated as what he is - a coward and a reckless, worthless, uncaring killer. more
- Craig on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... This man needs to take responsibility and face what he did... more
- JamesD on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Just watched Mitchell's interview with Nelson - have to say I was surprised he was chosen to do it but he performed well more
- William Griffin on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Mylene never let a solemn moment like the death of Nelson Mandela to say something silly. The people have spoken wether we ... more
- William Griffin on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... What you do you not get Puneet you pleaded guilty to a crime now you are to be held to account you scream I am be treated ... more
- mylene on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Ironic we hear about the death of guy who united South Africa while Neil 'interviews' the man who's divided Australia. ;) more
- Tim on Having issues streaming 3AW? Have tried your suggestions but still no luck. Have had to swap our Companies on-hold station from 3AW to your rival FM ... more
Newton 'misleads' on violence
UPDATE: Anti-domestic violence organisation White Ribbon says Matthew Newton is not taking enough responsibility for his actions, following the actor's controversial TV interview on Monday night.
Newton, who talked about his battles with mental illness in an interview on Channel Nine's A Current Affair, was on Monday described by 3AW reporter Peter Ford as a 'poster boy for domestic violence' after allegations of violence were levelled against him by former partners Brooke Satchwell and Rachel Taylor.
White Ribbon Australia head, Dr Michael Flood, has questioned whether Newton sent the right message to the almost 1 million people who watched the program.
"Matthew Newton's story puts the spotlight on some men's use of violence against women. But it also misleads," said Dr Flood.
"Men who've abused a partner are more likely to stop if they acknowledge their violent behaviour and the harm it has caused others, make a commitment to change, address their sexist beliefs and sense of entitlement in dominating partners; and seek professional help in perpetrators' programs."
"So far, Matthew Newton hasn't done enough to take responsibility for his actions or commit himself to changing them."
Dr Flood was careful not to be flippant about Newton's battle with mental illness, however, acknowledging it 'can be a risk factor for violence'.
But Dr Flood says 'most men who abuse and control their partners aren't suffering depression or other mental ill health and use violence because they feel entitled to do so'.
"Their violence is one way they seek to dominate their partners. Men's violence against women is a symptom of gender inequalities and our culture's tolerance for violence," Dr Flood said.
As Neil Mitchell mentioned on Monday, it is White Ribbon Day this Friday, when men and boys are encouraged to swear to the oath: "Never to commit, excuse or remain silent about violence against women."
EARLIER: Patti Newton says she wondered why her son Matthew would agree to a television interview about his troubled past.
The 34-year-old actor spoke to Channel Nine about his battle with manic depression and allegations he assaulted girlfriends Brooke Satchwell and Rachel Taylor.
Matthew Newton, 34, told A Current Affair he suffers manic depression which has caused him to abuse himself and others.
He's currently being treated for his condition.
He says he is ashamed of his behaviour.
RATINGS: The highly-provocative Matthew Newton interview on Channel Nine's A Current Affair has failed to translate into a ratings success.
A Current Affairs had 971,000 viewers while Today Tonight secured 1.1 million viewers.
Lifeline: 13 11 14
Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800
MensLine Australia: 1300 78 99 78
Headspace (Non-crises youth support): 1800 650 890
PLAY: Neil Mitchell tests the audience on Newton interview
Matthew Newton has 'become the poster boy for domestic violence', says 3AW Breakfast Entertainment Reporter Peter Ford on the mentally ill actor's pre-recorded A Current Affair interview which has been shown. Click on the image on the right.
3AW SPECIAL: Neil Mitchell held a mental health / suicide forum in November. The commercial-free segment includes Neil Mitchell hosting discussion between Michael Carr Gregg, Adolescant Pyschologist, Professor Pat McGorry, Executive Director of Orygen Youth Health and Tom Harkin, Youth Worker with the Reach Foundation.
The level of compassion and understanding shown by the contributors to this site is staggering.Lukew Thursday 24 November, 2011 - 8:14 AM
I really do not think Bert and Patti are milking their son's problems at all.
I am sure they are frustrated immensely with Matthew's problems like any parent would be.
You reach your wit's end sometimes with children and you do not know what to do, when things go wrong.
Compassion please for Bert and Patti, they would give anything for Matthew to be well.Faye Wednesday 23 November, 2011 - 2:06 PM
Matthew Newton is a no talent twit. If he's serious about getting help for whatever he claims to have, then going on national television to talk about it should not be part of his therapy. Men who beat up women are simply cowards and deserve to be behind bars. If he thinks he's so 'dangerous' why not stand up to someone you know you can't beat?Richard Wednesday 23 November, 2011 - 10:25 AM
Please tell me we will not have to suffer Bert and Patties reaction on ACA. Matthew Newton is nothing more than a coward and his parent will milk it for all its worth. Why can't you Newton's just blow away in the wind.Jane Tuesday 22 November, 2011 - 7:07 PM
HOW MUCH WAS THIS PATHATIC GUY PAID....
no sympathies at all for this prat....might be trying to get another job promo.
poor old aca..
drop[ the useless showchris watts Tuesday 22 November, 2011 - 4:29 PM
Newton, is wallowing in self pity,it back fired for channel 9 ratings as well>!Steve Tuesday 22 November, 2011 - 4:20 PM