- Hird, Essendon have their days in court
- Truck sinks into Prahran road
- 'He's been a huge success'
- Where has it gone wrong for Qantas?
- Police hunt man after lift assault
- Teens injured in Western Ring Road drag racing flip
- James Hird nominates Patrick Smith
- I found the experience so deeply unsettling
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Going after Greens voters.. Their evil twin the Greens won't be to impressed with that more
- Ross on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' "Process", "Process", "Process". Davis is a broken record. I'm a Paramedic, and if I had a dollar for every time he's called ... more
- Gloria on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Danny Boy Andrews, how to win friends and influence people, bring in a drug law that can be rorted by druggies and ... more
- Peggy on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' What a situation we are going to be in at the next election. If we want to do the right thing and have this approved and ... more
- Samantha Mclean on Shoeless creep attacks in Fitzroy North Put guards back at all stations!!! more
- IBARKER on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Tell him to walk and if he does he might loose one of those "CHINS". more
- Atticus on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... He parked put the front so that porky would not have to walk too far.Disgrace. more
- James on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Why didn't 3AW give him a spot in the visitor car park if he is expected/a regular guest? more
- Bugs54 on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If you park your car on the nature strip the council will say it's their land and fine you,yet they want you to mow it and ... more
- Mr Gararth on Monash Council to fine you for not ... No wonder Rudd dropped Geoff Lake as the candidate for Hotham last year. Get out of our lives local government! more
- KANE on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Melbournians are going to be 'Taxed, Dutied, Priced, Tar riffed, Levied, Excised, Pork Barreled OUT OF EXISTANCE!!! more
- Geoff on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Easy solution to the problem. If the council don't want to look after their own land ie the nature strips, just give the ... more
- mylene on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If Darebin council tried this they'd make a billion dollars before the sun went down. more
- bc on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' get WADA to come in over the top and give the killer blow stuff the AFL and hird and doctor little more
- Rod on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' What's Paul Little talking about. They have only been in court for 3 days. If Essendon don't get some sort of penalty, Then ... more
- Mooroolbark Mick on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' "Swepped" indicates the level of intelligence we have in this debate. I give up! more
- Peter Flynn on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Yes we the footy public do want to know and if the Essendon Football Club and James Hird were not gagged maybe we would. And ... more
- Docklands on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Show Cause Notices Issued.Essendon shows bokk of what was given and on what dates and to who ?Notices withdrawn. What has ... more
- Arthur Hiliard on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' If these footy "sportsman" have nothing to hide they should be welcoming any investigation! Seems they're a bit shocked to ... more
- David on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' We haven't got deal fatigue. We want to see Essendon held to account. Let the charges be heard! The public wants to see ... more
'Old world' services YOU want back
"The doors will slide shut on a little piece of Melbourne culture soon when the 10-storey Nicholas building in Swanston Street, home to 100 artists, alternative-fashion types and quirky small businesses, loses its two lift attendants.," writes Carolyn Webb in The Age on Tuesday.
The article in the newspaper prompted Neil Mitchell to ponder what other 'old world' services we used to have in Australian society, and which ones people want to bring back.
@3AW693 posed the question on Twitter and some of the suggestions are published below.
Please leave a suggestion on what service that used to be available that you would like to see implemented again.
@oli_via "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell waiting on line for 20minutes to speak to a person rather than a computer."
@notalegend "@3AW693 people taking responsibility for their own actions instead of always looking for someone else to blame. I'd like to see that"
@danielauhlig "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell really just miss service with a smile. Lack of workplace flex has left us with complacent workers consumers pay"
@jasontrethowan "@3AWNeilMitchell @3aw693 bring back kids who wash your wind screen at stop lights or at servo's."
@simieboy "@3AW693 real neighbourhood community instead of an online one"
@hgo7627 "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell A full copy of weekend Age for Regional Victorians - so that we can read property and career sections!
@JuliaLovich "@3AW693 Staff on all railway stations & train guards"
@Lady_Beer "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell milk bars where u can get 1c and 2c lollies"
@simieboy "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell a huge bag of mixed lollies for 20 cents"
@bruceinessendon "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell how about tram conductors - customer service and a bouncer at the same time!"
@docsherrin "@3AW693 Gas Station attendants & Milk delivered in glass bottles again thanks."
@yyarni "@3AW693 Petrol stations driveway service where they fill up your tank. The 013 service where u actually spoke to a real person on the phone."
@hypergamer2 "@3AW693 Conductors on trams and trains. Instead of rude Ticket Inspectors"
@ali_yesilyurt "@3AW693 I'd like to see a Bank teller in less than five minutes of waiting and not turn branches into delicatessen's."
@3awneilmitchell "@3AW693 Paper boys on street corners. Bring them back."
@happychappy0987 "@3AW693 I'd be happy enough if people just smiled and said good morning. No cost involved for anyone either!"
@correllio "@3AW693 Live human beings answering phones. Preferably with mildly comprehensible Aussie accents."
@kimmee_gee "@3AW693 running under the sprinkler in the back yard sunny boy in hand! I'd like to see that!"
@gmcallahan "@3AW693 the tea lady knew everyone's tea/coffee preference and could tell if you needed a bikkie too. Bring back the tea lady."
@pwnolan "@JustinSmith3AW @3AWNeilMitchell bring back people to fill up your car at the petrol station."
@ejgdy "@3AW693 service stations where they fill your car up for you"
@SNStrategies "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell What about good old hand written letters"
@Elitrian "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell Conductors on Trams and Trains! Plus a Government not stuck to opinion polls and party politics"
@danieljohnlloyd "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell windscreen washers at servos. Complimentary tea & coffee at truckstops. U fill up $1500+ every Day or so."
@MaryPatrish "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell Having the Petrol Station attendant come to the drivers window, filll her up and clean the windscreen"
@julieholmes1955 "@3AW693 bring back thick brown paper bags in the supermarkets to put groceries in"
Didnt take long for racism rants to start.Ho Hum i am sure you site name matches your personality BORING !! get a life idiotDarrell Wednesday 18 January, 2012 - 12:57 PM
Tram conductors; Service in Department stores and whitegoods/electronics suppliers; Service at retailers generally; Toilets open at railway stations and other venues/centres making their money from the public; a Human Being to take your money at a supermarket; etc. Am I being an idealist? Possibly, (my God, I'm doing a "Kevin Rudd"), but I will ignore any company that does not give me the service that I, as a customer, believe I deserve.David T. Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 5:53 PM
@ Darrell 9.26am - couldn't agree more. Chatting to a neighbour who is gardening etc is long gone. My neighbourhood is slowly being infiltrated by Asians and they do not communicate. Call me racist, it's a fact. They either cannot or will not speak English and a lot will avoid eye contact to boot. I always greet passersby with a smile and greeting when walking around the neighbourhood and it makes me angry that this pleasant courtesy is dying out because 99% of 'them' do not return the courtesy. Australia as we knew it is sadly disappearing.wendy Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 2:55 PM
wow a light article about lift attendants to blatant racism. There are some 'old world' opinions that need to be left behind.Ho hum Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 12:17 PM
no attendents at petrol stations it will be another reason to put petrol up,but i would like all help lines to be real people and in this country.craig Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 12:02 PM
@Steve. The TAC and the ambulance service are crying out to be privatized. What could possibly go wrong?? :pMylene Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 11:29 AM