- Policeman in hospital after hit-run ram
- CFMEU's Grocon blockade unlawful: Supreme Court
- AFL footballer's stalker 'hacked Facebook', organised 'orgy'
- Teenager stabbed amid armed hold up at Ashwood bottle shop
- Two men charged with eight counts of rape
- Rumour as tweet: NSW Waratahs' embarrassing post
- London: Two more suspects arrested following brutal beheading
- Elderly assault victim passes away
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- sneha on High school grades aren't everything im an asian and im a good student, im not amazing but i am usually getting above average scores around 80+. i may be asian ... more
- fay silk on Two men charged with eight counts of ... 1. bring back hanging for rape.2. if these poor women had access to guns and the training to use them then they would be ... more
- fay silk on Gina Rinehart more powerful than PM: ... Its hard to think how many would come to Gina's funeral and how many thousands will come to Hazel Hawkes! one is a selfish ... more
- fay silk on CFMEU's Grocon blockade unlawful: ... What a surprise! Not. The so called law courts would always rule against workers right to protest organize and withdraw ... more
- sad but so what?! on Hazel Hawke passes away What is she famous for? Being the ex-wife of Bob Hawke. That's it! Why is the media making such a big deal? Is this going to ... more
- Jean on London: Two more suspects arrested ... Words fail me as to how anyone could do such a cowardly and barbaric act to another human being. Its beyond belief that ... more
- sandra on Gina Rinehart more powerful than PM: ... intelligence and INTEGRITY thats a bit rich more
- Rich on Teenager stabbed amid armed hold up at ... Not to detract from the fact that the kid is recovering in hospital but why is there a 17 year old working in a liquor store? more
- mylene on Gina Rinehart more powerful than PM: ... Shouldn't there be some kind of disclosure about how much of Fairfax Ms Rinehart holds? It's the only poll I've ever ready ... more
- Peggy on London: Two more suspects arrested ... Every time I think about this it truly disturbs me. This was so horrible that it's hard to accept that a human can do this. ... more
- Monica on London: Two more suspects arrested ... Tragic story and for what? He died in the name allah to display peace and tolerance. Are we really ready to embrace this? more
- James Shaw on Providing incentive is the key to ... TomYour arrogance these last few weeks has been astounding. Tonight, 23 May, you had the audacity to claim you were not ... more
- geert on Terror in London: UK soldier hacked to ... anyone remember geert wilders in australia 6 months ago i believe he was warning us about exactly this, wake up australia!!! more
- Matt - proudly Un-Australian on Jon Anderson rates the 'Four Kings': ... Hagler is my all time favourite boxer & I tried to copy him when I fought, except I wasn't a southpaw. Ray Leonard was the ... more
- Gazza on Hazel Hawke passes away A legend of the workers for the workers.RIP Hazel........ more
- mandy on Hazel Hawke passes away A strong and talented woman I admired her views. more
- mandy on Terror in London: UK soldier hacked to ... What a disgrace an innocent man slaughtered with the blood dripping from that monsters murderous hands they should have been ... more
- Rob on Terror in London: UK soldier hacked to ... What a weird video. At 17 seconds a lady is walking straight up to him and then it is edited by some one. Then at the end, ... more
- Name & Shame on Elderly man fighting for life, police ... How dare this low life force this elderly couple of the road and ruin what little time they have left on this earth. more
- Not Welcome Here on Terror in London: UK soldier hacked to ... If these murderers and all those who have such a hatred for the country they live in, why not go back to their ... more
'Old world' services YOU want back
"The doors will slide shut on a little piece of Melbourne culture soon when the 10-storey Nicholas building in Swanston Street, home to 100 artists, alternative-fashion types and quirky small businesses, loses its two lift attendants.," writes Carolyn Webb in The Age on Tuesday.
The article in the newspaper prompted Neil Mitchell to ponder what other 'old world' services we used to have in Australian society, and which ones people want to bring back.
@3AW693 posed the question on Twitter and some of the suggestions are published below.
Please leave a suggestion on what service that used to be available that you would like to see implemented again.
@oli_via "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell waiting on line for 20minutes to speak to a person rather than a computer."
@notalegend "@3AW693 people taking responsibility for their own actions instead of always looking for someone else to blame. I'd like to see that"
@danielauhlig "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell really just miss service with a smile. Lack of workplace flex has left us with complacent workers consumers pay"
@jasontrethowan "@3AWNeilMitchell @3aw693 bring back kids who wash your wind screen at stop lights or at servo's."
@simieboy "@3AW693 real neighbourhood community instead of an online one"
@hgo7627 "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell A full copy of weekend Age for Regional Victorians - so that we can read property and career sections!
@JuliaLovich "@3AW693 Staff on all railway stations & train guards"
@Lady_Beer "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell milk bars where u can get 1c and 2c lollies"
@simieboy "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell a huge bag of mixed lollies for 20 cents"
@bruceinessendon "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell how about tram conductors - customer service and a bouncer at the same time!"
@docsherrin "@3AW693 Gas Station attendants & Milk delivered in glass bottles again thanks."
@yyarni "@3AW693 Petrol stations driveway service where they fill up your tank. The 013 service where u actually spoke to a real person on the phone."
@hypergamer2 "@3AW693 Conductors on trams and trains. Instead of rude Ticket Inspectors"
@ali_yesilyurt "@3AW693 I'd like to see a Bank teller in less than five minutes of waiting and not turn branches into delicatessen's."
@3awneilmitchell "@3AW693 Paper boys on street corners. Bring them back."
@happychappy0987 "@3AW693 I'd be happy enough if people just smiled and said good morning. No cost involved for anyone either!"
@correllio "@3AW693 Live human beings answering phones. Preferably with mildly comprehensible Aussie accents."
@kimmee_gee "@3AW693 running under the sprinkler in the back yard sunny boy in hand! I'd like to see that!"
@gmcallahan "@3AW693 the tea lady knew everyone's tea/coffee preference and could tell if you needed a bikkie too. Bring back the tea lady."
@pwnolan "@JustinSmith3AW @3AWNeilMitchell bring back people to fill up your car at the petrol station."
@ejgdy "@3AW693 service stations where they fill your car up for you"
@SNStrategies "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell What about good old hand written letters"
@Elitrian "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell Conductors on Trams and Trains! Plus a Government not stuck to opinion polls and party politics"
@danieljohnlloyd "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell windscreen washers at servos. Complimentary tea & coffee at truckstops. U fill up $1500+ every Day or so."
@MaryPatrish "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell Having the Petrol Station attendant come to the drivers window, filll her up and clean the windscreen"
@julieholmes1955 "@3AW693 bring back thick brown paper bags in the supermarkets to put groceries in"
Didnt take long for racism rants to start.Ho Hum i am sure you site name matches your personality BORING !! get a life idiotDarrell Wednesday 18 January, 2012 - 12:57 PM
Tram conductors; Service in Department stores and whitegoods/electronics suppliers; Service at retailers generally; Toilets open at railway stations and other venues/centres making their money from the public; a Human Being to take your money at a supermarket; etc. Am I being an idealist? Possibly, (my God, I'm doing a "Kevin Rudd"), but I will ignore any company that does not give me the service that I, as a customer, believe I deserve.David T. Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 5:53 PM
@ Darrell 9.26am - couldn't agree more. Chatting to a neighbour who is gardening etc is long gone. My neighbourhood is slowly being infiltrated by Asians and they do not communicate. Call me racist, it's a fact. They either cannot or will not speak English and a lot will avoid eye contact to boot. I always greet passersby with a smile and greeting when walking around the neighbourhood and it makes me angry that this pleasant courtesy is dying out because 99% of 'them' do not return the courtesy. Australia as we knew it is sadly disappearing.wendy Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 2:55 PM
wow a light article about lift attendants to blatant racism. There are some 'old world' opinions that need to be left behind.Ho hum Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 12:17 PM
no attendents at petrol stations it will be another reason to put petrol up,but i would like all help lines to be real people and in this country.craig Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 12:02 PM
@Steve. The TAC and the ambulance service are crying out to be privatized. What could possibly go wrong?? :pMylene Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 11:29 AM