- No deal: Ambo pay dispute blows up
- Ambulance Victoria dismisses Melbourne Ebola fears
- Poll points to big Liberal loss
- Chinatown murder charge
- A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is shattered'
- Has this CCTV caught a ghost?
- The Rumour File even we didn't think could be true...
- Man hunt after stabbing shock
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Susan Williams on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Neil I have listened to your interview with Bridget O'Toole and I felt compelled to write to you. I was crying whilst ... more
- Mandi on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... The parle board and those responsible have blood on their hands again sadly I cant see things changing. more
- Craig on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... I do not generally believe in the death penalty, but there are 20 or 30 cases where the death penalty is warranted. This ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? The Police should see this video it looks like a robber. more
- M. Patterson on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... As a friend of the family I have seen their grief firsthand and I am just so heartbroken because of the endless pain they ... more
- PJ on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Broke my heart listening to the agony and the anguish of Bridget. What a person she is to be still standing up after all ... more
- Lee McLean on The Rumour File even we didn't think ... The day my father died in a nursing home in footscray a carer walked up my mother and myself a stated now your father has ... more
- Lance on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? Ghost?Sounds legit. more
- Andrea Davey on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Our Legal System needs a complete overhaul. This man had 200 prior convictions and now a good honest person is dead. Why oh ... more
- Renee Wood on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Bridget my heart breaks for you and your family. Your strength through that interview was amazing. Im ashamed of our ... more
- Mel on The Rumour File even we didn't think ... Shame on YOU! more
- Mel on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? Yes i believe it to be a ghost, yes. more
- Kathryn on The Rumour File even we didn't think ... Dear 3AW, I too was robbed while in Frances Perry Hospital in 2010, three days after giving birth by C Section to my ... more
- Ken LEE TET on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? The shape on the chair is not identifiable as a person in this still photo. Maybe a better view if we could see the video, ... more
- Lisa on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? Neil, Ive seen ghosts, and they are grey to charcoal in colour, this looks white.....mmm I have my doubts ;) more
- Belinda on Wild weather causes train chaos I shot a video of last night's thunderstorm and lightning strikes in Melbourne. My house is in Footscray. more
- Jason on Wild weather causes train chaos Thunderbolts and lightening, very very frightening! more
- Colin Lacivita on Man arrested after police chase The Police should have gotten a couple of truckies to setup a road block and then abandon their trucks. This would really ... more
- PatQuickCrazy on Man arrested after police chase We could do what the Greens like to do for anything and everything like this...how about we just ban cars? more
- Aria Judilla on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues @GIW - Rather than just bag Mylene personally maybe you could actually point out which part of her post you think was ... more
'Old world' services YOU want back
"The doors will slide shut on a little piece of Melbourne culture soon when the 10-storey Nicholas building in Swanston Street, home to 100 artists, alternative-fashion types and quirky small businesses, loses its two lift attendants.," writes Carolyn Webb in The Age on Tuesday.
The article in the newspaper prompted Neil Mitchell to ponder what other 'old world' services we used to have in Australian society, and which ones people want to bring back.
@3AW693 posed the question on Twitter and some of the suggestions are published below.
Please leave a suggestion on what service that used to be available that you would like to see implemented again.
@oli_via "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell waiting on line for 20minutes to speak to a person rather than a computer."
@notalegend "@3AW693 people taking responsibility for their own actions instead of always looking for someone else to blame. I'd like to see that"
@danielauhlig "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell really just miss service with a smile. Lack of workplace flex has left us with complacent workers consumers pay"
@jasontrethowan "@3AWNeilMitchell @3aw693 bring back kids who wash your wind screen at stop lights or at servo's."
@simieboy "@3AW693 real neighbourhood community instead of an online one"
@hgo7627 "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell A full copy of weekend Age for Regional Victorians - so that we can read property and career sections!
@JuliaLovich "@3AW693 Staff on all railway stations & train guards"
@Lady_Beer "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell milk bars where u can get 1c and 2c lollies"
@simieboy "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell a huge bag of mixed lollies for 20 cents"
@bruceinessendon "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell how about tram conductors - customer service and a bouncer at the same time!"
@docsherrin "@3AW693 Gas Station attendants & Milk delivered in glass bottles again thanks."
@yyarni "@3AW693 Petrol stations driveway service where they fill up your tank. The 013 service where u actually spoke to a real person on the phone."
@hypergamer2 "@3AW693 Conductors on trams and trains. Instead of rude Ticket Inspectors"
@ali_yesilyurt "@3AW693 I'd like to see a Bank teller in less than five minutes of waiting and not turn branches into delicatessen's."
@3awneilmitchell "@3AW693 Paper boys on street corners. Bring them back."
@happychappy0987 "@3AW693 I'd be happy enough if people just smiled and said good morning. No cost involved for anyone either!"
@correllio "@3AW693 Live human beings answering phones. Preferably with mildly comprehensible Aussie accents."
@kimmee_gee "@3AW693 running under the sprinkler in the back yard sunny boy in hand! I'd like to see that!"
@gmcallahan "@3AW693 the tea lady knew everyone's tea/coffee preference and could tell if you needed a bikkie too. Bring back the tea lady."
@pwnolan "@JustinSmith3AW @3AWNeilMitchell bring back people to fill up your car at the petrol station."
@ejgdy "@3AW693 service stations where they fill your car up for you"
@SNStrategies "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell What about good old hand written letters"
@Elitrian "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell Conductors on Trams and Trains! Plus a Government not stuck to opinion polls and party politics"
@danieljohnlloyd "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell windscreen washers at servos. Complimentary tea & coffee at truckstops. U fill up $1500+ every Day or so."
@MaryPatrish "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell Having the Petrol Station attendant come to the drivers window, filll her up and clean the windscreen"
@julieholmes1955 "@3AW693 bring back thick brown paper bags in the supermarkets to put groceries in"
Didnt take long for racism rants to start.Ho Hum i am sure you site name matches your personality BORING !! get a life idiotDarrell Wednesday 18 January, 2012 - 12:57 PM
Tram conductors; Service in Department stores and whitegoods/electronics suppliers; Service at retailers generally; Toilets open at railway stations and other venues/centres making their money from the public; a Human Being to take your money at a supermarket; etc. Am I being an idealist? Possibly, (my God, I'm doing a "Kevin Rudd"), but I will ignore any company that does not give me the service that I, as a customer, believe I deserve.David T. Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 5:53 PM
@ Darrell 9.26am - couldn't agree more. Chatting to a neighbour who is gardening etc is long gone. My neighbourhood is slowly being infiltrated by Asians and they do not communicate. Call me racist, it's a fact. They either cannot or will not speak English and a lot will avoid eye contact to boot. I always greet passersby with a smile and greeting when walking around the neighbourhood and it makes me angry that this pleasant courtesy is dying out because 99% of 'them' do not return the courtesy. Australia as we knew it is sadly disappearing.wendy Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 2:55 PM
wow a light article about lift attendants to blatant racism. There are some 'old world' opinions that need to be left behind.Ho hum Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 12:17 PM
no attendents at petrol stations it will be another reason to put petrol up,but i would like all help lines to be real people and in this country.craig Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 12:02 PM
@Steve. The TAC and the ambulance service are crying out to be privatized. What could possibly go wrong?? :pMylene Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 11:29 AM