- Earthquake hits Greenvale, Epping, Lalor and Roxburgh Park
- Man killed in Wodonga bobcat accident
- Childcare system 'nonsense'
- Paul Dale, Rodney Collins excused from giving evidence
- Fog to cause Melbourne Airport delays
- Scissor bandit can't open cash till
- Government workers cashed in on cosy deals, IBAC hears
- 'Bring them home': Government calls for action
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
- Marlene Gow on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' I wonder how Malthouse would've reacted if some other football identity spoke in that manner to his own daughter those few ... more
- kim on Victorian town's HIV scare Re the Dr Lester interview. It was said earlier in the morning - somewhere between 530 & 630 that the health professional ... more
- Faye on Young Aussies gored in bull run GO BULLS !! more
- Kevin on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' Good manners and decency cost nothing and go such a long way. Mick simply needs to be nice to people, it's not ... more
- Mark Ellison on Victorian town's HIV scare How does "coming into contact" with an HIV infected person, carry a risk? I presume the Health Professional isn't providing ... more
- Matt on Fans ripped-off by Tyson 'Meet & Greet' That is why I picked up the iron, him in the spa. more
- Amanda on Ice town: Victorian region's ... I know of a group of users in Neerim Sth. Folks should take a more loving stance on the unfortunate statement the journalist ... more
'Old world' services YOU want back
"The doors will slide shut on a little piece of Melbourne culture soon when the 10-storey Nicholas building in Swanston Street, home to 100 artists, alternative-fashion types and quirky small businesses, loses its two lift attendants.," writes Carolyn Webb in The Age on Tuesday.
The article in the newspaper prompted Neil Mitchell to ponder what other 'old world' services we used to have in Australian society, and which ones people want to bring back.
@3AW693 posed the question on Twitter and some of the suggestions are published below.
Please leave a suggestion on what service that used to be available that you would like to see implemented again.
@oli_via "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell waiting on line for 20minutes to speak to a person rather than a computer."
@notalegend "@3AW693 people taking responsibility for their own actions instead of always looking for someone else to blame. I'd like to see that"
@danielauhlig "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell really just miss service with a smile. Lack of workplace flex has left us with complacent workers consumers pay"
@jasontrethowan "@3AWNeilMitchell @3aw693 bring back kids who wash your wind screen at stop lights or at servo's."
@simieboy "@3AW693 real neighbourhood community instead of an online one"
@hgo7627 "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell A full copy of weekend Age for Regional Victorians - so that we can read property and career sections!
@JuliaLovich "@3AW693 Staff on all railway stations & train guards"
@Lady_Beer "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell milk bars where u can get 1c and 2c lollies"
@simieboy "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell a huge bag of mixed lollies for 20 cents"
@bruceinessendon "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell how about tram conductors - customer service and a bouncer at the same time!"
@docsherrin "@3AW693 Gas Station attendants & Milk delivered in glass bottles again thanks."
@yyarni "@3AW693 Petrol stations driveway service where they fill up your tank. The 013 service where u actually spoke to a real person on the phone."
@hypergamer2 "@3AW693 Conductors on trams and trains. Instead of rude Ticket Inspectors"
@ali_yesilyurt "@3AW693 I'd like to see a Bank teller in less than five minutes of waiting and not turn branches into delicatessen's."
@3awneilmitchell "@3AW693 Paper boys on street corners. Bring them back."
@happychappy0987 "@3AW693 I'd be happy enough if people just smiled and said good morning. No cost involved for anyone either!"
@correllio "@3AW693 Live human beings answering phones. Preferably with mildly comprehensible Aussie accents."
@kimmee_gee "@3AW693 running under the sprinkler in the back yard sunny boy in hand! I'd like to see that!"
@gmcallahan "@3AW693 the tea lady knew everyone's tea/coffee preference and could tell if you needed a bikkie too. Bring back the tea lady."
@pwnolan "@JustinSmith3AW @3AWNeilMitchell bring back people to fill up your car at the petrol station."
@ejgdy "@3AW693 service stations where they fill your car up for you"
@SNStrategies "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell What about good old hand written letters"
@Elitrian "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell Conductors on Trams and Trains! Plus a Government not stuck to opinion polls and party politics"
@danieljohnlloyd "@3AW693 @3awneilmitchell windscreen washers at servos. Complimentary tea & coffee at truckstops. U fill up $1500+ every Day or so."
@MaryPatrish "@3AW693 @3AWNeilMitchell Having the Petrol Station attendant come to the drivers window, filll her up and clean the windscreen"
@julieholmes1955 "@3AW693 bring back thick brown paper bags in the supermarkets to put groceries in"
Didnt take long for racism rants to start.Ho Hum i am sure you site name matches your personality BORING !! get a life idiotDarrell Wednesday 18 January, 2012 - 12:57 PM
Tram conductors; Service in Department stores and whitegoods/electronics suppliers; Service at retailers generally; Toilets open at railway stations and other venues/centres making their money from the public; a Human Being to take your money at a supermarket; etc. Am I being an idealist? Possibly, (my God, I'm doing a "Kevin Rudd"), but I will ignore any company that does not give me the service that I, as a customer, believe I deserve.David T. Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 5:53 PM
@ Darrell 9.26am - couldn't agree more. Chatting to a neighbour who is gardening etc is long gone. My neighbourhood is slowly being infiltrated by Asians and they do not communicate. Call me racist, it's a fact. They either cannot or will not speak English and a lot will avoid eye contact to boot. I always greet passersby with a smile and greeting when walking around the neighbourhood and it makes me angry that this pleasant courtesy is dying out because 99% of 'them' do not return the courtesy. Australia as we knew it is sadly disappearing.wendy Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 2:55 PM
wow a light article about lift attendants to blatant racism. There are some 'old world' opinions that need to be left behind.Ho hum Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 12:17 PM
no attendents at petrol stations it will be another reason to put petrol up,but i would like all help lines to be real people and in this country.craig Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 12:02 PM
@Steve. The TAC and the ambulance service are crying out to be privatized. What could possibly go wrong?? :pMylene Tuesday 17 January, 2012 - 11:29 AM