- No deal: Ambo pay dispute blows up
- Ambulance Victoria dismisses Melbourne Ebola fears
- Poll points to big Liberal loss
- Chinatown murder charge
- A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is shattered'
- Has this CCTV caught a ghost?
- The Rumour File even we didn't think could be true...
- Man hunt after stabbing shock
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Susan Williams on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Neil I have listened to your interview with Bridget O'Toole and I felt compelled to write to you. I was crying whilst ... more
- Mandi on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... The parle board and those responsible have blood on their hands again sadly I cant see things changing. more
- Craig on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... I do not generally believe in the death penalty, but there are 20 or 30 cases where the death penalty is warranted. This ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? The Police should see this video it looks like a robber. more
- M. Patterson on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... As a friend of the family I have seen their grief firsthand and I am just so heartbroken because of the endless pain they ... more
- PJ on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Broke my heart listening to the agony and the anguish of Bridget. What a person she is to be still standing up after all ... more
- Lee McLean on The Rumour File even we didn't think ... The day my father died in a nursing home in footscray a carer walked up my mother and myself a stated now your father has ... more
- Lance on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? Ghost?Sounds legit. more
- Andrea Davey on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Our Legal System needs a complete overhaul. This man had 200 prior convictions and now a good honest person is dead. Why oh ... more
- Renee Wood on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Bridget my heart breaks for you and your family. Your strength through that interview was amazing. Im ashamed of our ... more
- Mel on The Rumour File even we didn't think ... Shame on YOU! more
- Mel on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? Yes i believe it to be a ghost, yes. more
- Kathryn on The Rumour File even we didn't think ... Dear 3AW, I too was robbed while in Frances Perry Hospital in 2010, three days after giving birth by C Section to my ... more
- Ken LEE TET on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? The shape on the chair is not identifiable as a person in this still photo. Maybe a better view if we could see the video, ... more
- Lisa on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? Neil, Ive seen ghosts, and they are grey to charcoal in colour, this looks white.....mmm I have my doubts ;) more
- Belinda on Wild weather causes train chaos I shot a video of last night's thunderstorm and lightning strikes in Melbourne. My house is in Footscray. more
- Jason on Wild weather causes train chaos Thunderbolts and lightening, very very frightening! more
- Colin Lacivita on Man arrested after police chase The Police should have gotten a couple of truckies to setup a road block and then abandon their trucks. This would really ... more
- PatQuickCrazy on Man arrested after police chase We could do what the Greens like to do for anything and everything like this...how about we just ban cars? more
- Aria Judilla on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues @GIW - Rather than just bag Mylene personally maybe you could actually point out which part of her post you think was ... more
Penny Wong not embarrassed by budget surplus back flip
Finance Minister Penny Wong has defended the government's decision to break its budget surplus promise, and insists she's not embarrassed by the back flip.
Speaking with Justin Smith, Ms Wong said a much bigger than anticipated hole in forecast tax revenue left the government with no choice than to leave the budget in deficit, despite continual assurances to bring the budget back to surplus.
"We believe we've come to the point where if we continue to cut to offset a loss of tax revenue, a hole in how much tax revenue we get, that could jeopardise jobs and growth and we're not prepared to do that," she said.
"We had to make the call and we had to be upfront with the Australian people, which is what we've done.
"I'm never embarrassed by making decisions that are in the best economic interests of the nation."
Ms Wong said an 'unusual set of circumstances' involving a high Australian dollar value and decreasing commodity prices were hitting businesses and profits, resulting in less tax revenue.
"Despite the fact we'd already written down how much we assumed we would get in tax revenue, we saw an even bigger hit - $3.9 billion," she said.
Treasurer Wayne Swan called a snap news conference yesterday to make this announcement, and assured Australian's there won't be further spending cuts by arguing such a move risks jobs and could damage economic growth.
We’re a Labor Government - and nothing is more important to us than jobs and job security for the Australians we proudly represent
— Wayne Swan (@SwannyDPM) December 20, 2012
Mylene, everyone is a wake up to you, come on 'fess up that you are a Labor stooge only out to stir us real people up.GIW Monday 24 December, 2012 - 5:11 PM
Crooked, Crooked ,Crooked.
I can't think of any more positives to describe this horrible group of people falsely claiming to represent the Australian public. Led by the worst of the lot, JULIAR. Enjoy your holiday and I hope Katut gives you a rash.Eddy Monday 24 December, 2012 - 11:06 AM
There has been no loss at all in tax revenue Madame Wong. The disgraceful massive debt has been made by you bunch of incompetents throwing money away like confetti such as the $1 Billion given to damned Afghanistan and the list goes on and on. And don't lie to us about 'being up front' you knucklehead. We Aussies don't suffer fools easily Madame!!!Samuel Kyrikos Monday 24 December, 2012 - 7:08 AM
abbott/workchoices has been saying a surplus budget was wrong for australia at this time.surely now,he will come out and support the goverment.maybe he will even release his IR policy,,ooops,sorry that would destroy any political gain dr no can squeeze out of this one.........garry Sunday 23 December, 2012 - 1:26 PM
I have a gut feeling that if the entire failed,incompetent so called cabinet of Gillard and comrades went and jumped off the Gap, then Madame Wong, if true to her vocal unwavering support of these clowns, would likewise jump over with them. She may be a tad smarter to her credit and I dare say might watch the rest of the motley team of boofheads go down! eh eh eh!Luigi T Cassimatis B.Ec Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 10:17 PM
Oh look this Wong woman would blatantly come out with her usual mangled garbage to support any decision taken by the band of utter incompetent boofheads that form this minority socialist Gillard temporary 'government.' A one term mob of abject failures, rorters, dunces and clowns in every way. The lies, the about faces on every issue shows them up for what they are :- incompetent damned fools! Amen.Jonathon L Benson Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 9:57 PM