- Policeman in hospital after hit-run ram
- CFMEU's Grocon blockade unlawful: Supreme Court
- AFL footballer's stalker 'hacked Facebook', organised 'orgy'
- Teenager stabbed amid armed hold up at Ashwood bottle shop
- Two men charged with eight counts of rape
- Rumour as tweet: NSW Waratahs' embarrassing post
- London: Two more suspects arrested following brutal beheading
- Elderly assault victim passes away
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- sneha on High school grades aren't everything im an asian and im a good student, im not amazing but i am usually getting above average scores around 80+. i may be asian ... more
- fay silk on Two men charged with eight counts of ... 1. bring back hanging for rape.2. if these poor women had access to guns and the training to use them then they would be ... more
- fay silk on Gina Rinehart more powerful than PM: ... Its hard to think how many would come to Gina's funeral and how many thousands will come to Hazel Hawkes! one is a selfish ... more
- fay silk on CFMEU's Grocon blockade unlawful: ... What a surprise! Not. The so called law courts would always rule against workers right to protest organize and withdraw ... more
- sad but so what?! on Hazel Hawke passes away What is she famous for? Being the ex-wife of Bob Hawke. That's it! Why is the media making such a big deal? Is this going to ... more
- Jean on London: Two more suspects arrested ... Words fail me as to how anyone could do such a cowardly and barbaric act to another human being. Its beyond belief that ... more
- sandra on Gina Rinehart more powerful than PM: ... intelligence and INTEGRITY thats a bit rich more
- Rich on Teenager stabbed amid armed hold up at ... Not to detract from the fact that the kid is recovering in hospital but why is there a 17 year old working in a liquor store? more
- mylene on Gina Rinehart more powerful than PM: ... Shouldn't there be some kind of disclosure about how much of Fairfax Ms Rinehart holds? It's the only poll I've ever ready ... more
- Peggy on London: Two more suspects arrested ... Every time I think about this it truly disturbs me. This was so horrible that it's hard to accept that a human can do this. ... more
- Monica on London: Two more suspects arrested ... Tragic story and for what? He died in the name allah to display peace and tolerance. Are we really ready to embrace this? more
- James Shaw on Providing incentive is the key to ... TomYour arrogance these last few weeks has been astounding. Tonight, 23 May, you had the audacity to claim you were not ... more
- geert on Terror in London: UK soldier hacked to ... anyone remember geert wilders in australia 6 months ago i believe he was warning us about exactly this, wake up australia!!! more
- Matt - proudly Un-Australian on Jon Anderson rates the 'Four Kings': ... Hagler is my all time favourite boxer & I tried to copy him when I fought, except I wasn't a southpaw. Ray Leonard was the ... more
- Gazza on Hazel Hawke passes away A legend of the workers for the workers.RIP Hazel........ more
- mandy on Hazel Hawke passes away A strong and talented woman I admired her views. more
- mandy on Terror in London: UK soldier hacked to ... What a disgrace an innocent man slaughtered with the blood dripping from that monsters murderous hands they should have been ... more
- Rob on Terror in London: UK soldier hacked to ... What a weird video. At 17 seconds a lady is walking straight up to him and then it is edited by some one. Then at the end, ... more
- Name & Shame on Elderly man fighting for life, police ... How dare this low life force this elderly couple of the road and ruin what little time they have left on this earth. more
- Not Welcome Here on Terror in London: UK soldier hacked to ... If these murderers and all those who have such a hatred for the country they live in, why not go back to their ... more
Penny Wong not embarrassed by budget surplus back flip
Finance Minister Penny Wong has defended the government's decision to break its budget surplus promise, and insists she's not embarrassed by the back flip.
Speaking with Justin Smith, Ms Wong said a much bigger than anticipated hole in forecast tax revenue left the government with no choice than to leave the budget in deficit, despite continual assurances to bring the budget back to surplus.
"We believe we've come to the point where if we continue to cut to offset a loss of tax revenue, a hole in how much tax revenue we get, that could jeopardise jobs and growth and we're not prepared to do that," she said.
"We had to make the call and we had to be upfront with the Australian people, which is what we've done.
"I'm never embarrassed by making decisions that are in the best economic interests of the nation."
Ms Wong said an 'unusual set of circumstances' involving a high Australian dollar value and decreasing commodity prices were hitting businesses and profits, resulting in less tax revenue.
"Despite the fact we'd already written down how much we assumed we would get in tax revenue, we saw an even bigger hit - $3.9 billion," she said.
Treasurer Wayne Swan called a snap news conference yesterday to make this announcement, and assured Australian's there won't be further spending cuts by arguing such a move risks jobs and could damage economic growth.
We’re a Labor Government - and nothing is more important to us than jobs and job security for the Australians we proudly represent
— Wayne Swan (@SwannyDPM) December 20, 2012
Mylene, everyone is a wake up to you, come on 'fess up that you are a Labor stooge only out to stir us real people up.GIW Monday 24 December, 2012 - 5:11 PM
Crooked, Crooked ,Crooked.
I can't think of any more positives to describe this horrible group of people falsely claiming to represent the Australian public. Led by the worst of the lot, JULIAR. Enjoy your holiday and I hope Katut gives you a rash.Eddy Monday 24 December, 2012 - 11:06 AM
There has been no loss at all in tax revenue Madame Wong. The disgraceful massive debt has been made by you bunch of incompetents throwing money away like confetti such as the $1 Billion given to damned Afghanistan and the list goes on and on. And don't lie to us about 'being up front' you knucklehead. We Aussies don't suffer fools easily Madame!!!Samuel Kyrikos Monday 24 December, 2012 - 7:08 AM
abbott/workchoices has been saying a surplus budget was wrong for australia at this time.surely now,he will come out and support the goverment.maybe he will even release his IR policy,,ooops,sorry that would destroy any political gain dr no can squeeze out of this one.........garry Sunday 23 December, 2012 - 1:26 PM
I have a gut feeling that if the entire failed,incompetent so called cabinet of Gillard and comrades went and jumped off the Gap, then Madame Wong, if true to her vocal unwavering support of these clowns, would likewise jump over with them. She may be a tad smarter to her credit and I dare say might watch the rest of the motley team of boofheads go down! eh eh eh!Luigi T Cassimatis B.Ec Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 10:17 PM
Oh look this Wong woman would blatantly come out with her usual mangled garbage to support any decision taken by the band of utter incompetent boofheads that form this minority socialist Gillard temporary 'government.' A one term mob of abject failures, rorters, dunces and clowns in every way. The lies, the about faces on every issue shows them up for what they are :- incompetent damned fools! Amen.Jonathon L Benson Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 9:57 PM