- Hird, Essendon have their days in court
- Police hunt man after lift assault
- Teens injured in Western Ring Road drag racing flip
- James Hird nominates Patrick Smith
- I found the experience so deeply unsettling
- 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives'
- $400k fire at iconic St Kilda restaurant
- $350k gone in brazen copper heist
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Going after Greens voters.. Their evil twin the Greens won't be to impressed with that more
- Ross on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' "Process", "Process", "Process". Davis is a broken record. I'm a Paramedic, and if I had a dollar for every time he's called ... more
- Gloria on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Danny Boy Andrews, how to win friends and influence people, bring in a drug law that can be rorted by druggies and ... more
- Peggy on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' What a situation we are going to be in at the next election. If we want to do the right thing and have this approved and ... more
- Samantha Mclean on Shoeless creep attacks in Fitzroy North Put guards back at all stations!!! more
- IBARKER on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Tell him to walk and if he does he might loose one of those "CHINS". more
- Atticus on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... He parked put the front so that porky would not have to walk too far.Disgrace. more
- James on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Why didn't 3AW give him a spot in the visitor car park if he is expected/a regular guest? more
- Bugs54 on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If you park your car on the nature strip the council will say it's their land and fine you,yet they want you to mow it and ... more
- Mr Gararth on Monash Council to fine you for not ... No wonder Rudd dropped Geoff Lake as the candidate for Hotham last year. Get out of our lives local government! more
- KANE on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Melbournians are going to be 'Taxed, Dutied, Priced, Tar riffed, Levied, Excised, Pork Barreled OUT OF EXISTANCE!!! more
- Geoff on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Easy solution to the problem. If the council don't want to look after their own land ie the nature strips, just give the ... more
- mylene on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If Darebin council tried this they'd make a billion dollars before the sun went down. more
- bc on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' get WADA to come in over the top and give the killer blow stuff the AFL and hird and doctor little more
- Rod on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' What's Paul Little talking about. They have only been in court for 3 days. If Essendon don't get some sort of penalty, Then ... more
- Mooroolbark Mick on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' "Swepped" indicates the level of intelligence we have in this debate. I give up! more
- Peter Flynn on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Yes we the footy public do want to know and if the Essendon Football Club and James Hird were not gagged maybe we would. And ... more
- Docklands on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Show Cause Notices Issued.Essendon shows bokk of what was given and on what dates and to who ?Notices withdrawn. What has ... more
- Arthur Hiliard on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' If these footy "sportsman" have nothing to hide they should be welcoming any investigation! Seems they're a bit shocked to ... more
- David on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' We haven't got deal fatigue. We want to see Essendon held to account. Let the charges be heard! The public wants to see ... more
Penny Wong not embarrassed by budget surplus back flip
Finance Minister Penny Wong has defended the government's decision to break its budget surplus promise, and insists she's not embarrassed by the back flip.
Speaking with Justin Smith, Ms Wong said a much bigger than anticipated hole in forecast tax revenue left the government with no choice than to leave the budget in deficit, despite continual assurances to bring the budget back to surplus.
"We believe we've come to the point where if we continue to cut to offset a loss of tax revenue, a hole in how much tax revenue we get, that could jeopardise jobs and growth and we're not prepared to do that," she said.
"We had to make the call and we had to be upfront with the Australian people, which is what we've done.
"I'm never embarrassed by making decisions that are in the best economic interests of the nation."
Ms Wong said an 'unusual set of circumstances' involving a high Australian dollar value and decreasing commodity prices were hitting businesses and profits, resulting in less tax revenue.
"Despite the fact we'd already written down how much we assumed we would get in tax revenue, we saw an even bigger hit - $3.9 billion," she said.
Treasurer Wayne Swan called a snap news conference yesterday to make this announcement, and assured Australian's there won't be further spending cuts by arguing such a move risks jobs and could damage economic growth.
We’re a Labor Government - and nothing is more important to us than jobs and job security for the Australians we proudly represent
— Wayne Swan (@SwannyDPM) December 20, 2012
Mylene, everyone is a wake up to you, come on 'fess up that you are a Labor stooge only out to stir us real people up.GIW Monday 24 December, 2012 - 5:11 PM
Crooked, Crooked ,Crooked.
I can't think of any more positives to describe this horrible group of people falsely claiming to represent the Australian public. Led by the worst of the lot, JULIAR. Enjoy your holiday and I hope Katut gives you a rash.Eddy Monday 24 December, 2012 - 11:06 AM
There has been no loss at all in tax revenue Madame Wong. The disgraceful massive debt has been made by you bunch of incompetents throwing money away like confetti such as the $1 Billion given to damned Afghanistan and the list goes on and on. And don't lie to us about 'being up front' you knucklehead. We Aussies don't suffer fools easily Madame!!!Samuel Kyrikos Monday 24 December, 2012 - 7:08 AM
abbott/workchoices has been saying a surplus budget was wrong for australia at this time.surely now,he will come out and support the goverment.maybe he will even release his IR policy,,ooops,sorry that would destroy any political gain dr no can squeeze out of this one.........garry Sunday 23 December, 2012 - 1:26 PM
I have a gut feeling that if the entire failed,incompetent so called cabinet of Gillard and comrades went and jumped off the Gap, then Madame Wong, if true to her vocal unwavering support of these clowns, would likewise jump over with them. She may be a tad smarter to her credit and I dare say might watch the rest of the motley team of boofheads go down! eh eh eh!Luigi T Cassimatis B.Ec Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 10:17 PM
Oh look this Wong woman would blatantly come out with her usual mangled garbage to support any decision taken by the band of utter incompetent boofheads that form this minority socialist Gillard temporary 'government.' A one term mob of abject failures, rorters, dunces and clowns in every way. The lies, the about faces on every issue shows them up for what they are :- incompetent damned fools! Amen.Jonathon L Benson Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 9:57 PM