- 'Like winning the lotto': A win for heartbroken wife
- 'Parliament is not a pub'
- Woman hit, man flees on foot, Blackburn Rd closed
- Condition of sinkhole victim worsens
- 'Kids will give cricket away'
- Police swarm on Bandidos club in murder investigation
- Council caught dumping waste
- Hughes in critical condition
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Susan on Special pup for family's last Christmas As Marie said I hope the new pup brings JOY to the family maybe they should rename it Joy 0r Faith or Hope but Pixie's cute ... more
- Carol on Special pup for family's last Christmas Well Done Neil!!This family are well deserving of this money and puppy!! Had me in years all morning! Beautiful bittersweet ... more
- jgl Melb on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo A visit to the nearest Bunnings would've sorted this earth shattering problem.Then again the complainant wouldn't have ... more
- kes from central victoria on Special pup for family's last Christmas Wow, amazing. Just when you think nobody cares this happens....such sad circumstances when the bulldog pup,who is just ... more
- Debs on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo What a crock of shite. You mean to say to me this guy couldn't go to Bunnings/Masters and fork out a measly $30 for a new ... more
- Marie on Special pup for family's last Christmas I cannot believe how this family have managed over the years with 2 of their 3 children so very sick. Being a mum myself I ... more
- Cere on Special pup for family's last Christmas Most amazing and so sad well done to Neil and everyone. The puppy is so beautiful and I know she will give all her love ... more
- Roma Vaccaro on Special pup for family's last Christmas I hope this little angel in the form of a pup brings the family much love and laughter. What a horrible thing for any ... more
- Debbie on Special pup for family's last Christmas Awesome response to an amazing family So happy they have a lil pup, she will certainly be very loved more
- Donny Blake on Special pup for family's last Christmas What a gorgeous little pup and will definitely go to a great home, although I am an one eyed boxer girl. more
- Tarielle on Special pup for family's last Christmas This little girl is absolutely gorgeous. What a very special gift she is. I hope she brings Sam and Ashley much love and ... more
- Andrea Murphy on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Maybe Riley has to turn the other cheek! more
- Dennis on Hundreds flee burning city apartment ... Apparantly Edihad is supplying food and drink to people affected by the fire. I hope they're not charging football prices. more
- Chris on Hundreds flee burning city apartment ... With all the media and fire fighters the dock lands population must have doubled last night. more
- Chris on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Any smart person would have put a new seat on $20 at bunnings and when they leave put the broken one back on. more
- Gloria on 'Corruption, abuse' and Yooralla I had written a cheque yesterday for Yooralla Appeal, will not decide whether to post it or not until investigations are ... more
- andy on Mark Williams diagnosed with cancer good luck more
- jgl Melb on Clive Palmer spits the dummy The punters are starting to twig to Clive (no I haven't s--t myself I only walk like it) Palmer. more
- Stephen on Clive Palmer spits the dummy This is what our stupid voting system gets us. Idiots voted in on hand full of votes and a bucket load of preferences that ... more
- greg on New-age helmet design I'm sure(NOT) that will prevent motorists from hitting cyclists. It's a dumb idea and the helmet is both hideous and ... more
Penny Wong not embarrassed by budget surplus back flip
Finance Minister Penny Wong has defended the government's decision to break its budget surplus promise, and insists she's not embarrassed by the back flip.
Speaking with Justin Smith, Ms Wong said a much bigger than anticipated hole in forecast tax revenue left the government with no choice than to leave the budget in deficit, despite continual assurances to bring the budget back to surplus.
"We believe we've come to the point where if we continue to cut to offset a loss of tax revenue, a hole in how much tax revenue we get, that could jeopardise jobs and growth and we're not prepared to do that," she said.
"We had to make the call and we had to be upfront with the Australian people, which is what we've done.
"I'm never embarrassed by making decisions that are in the best economic interests of the nation."
Ms Wong said an 'unusual set of circumstances' involving a high Australian dollar value and decreasing commodity prices were hitting businesses and profits, resulting in less tax revenue.
"Despite the fact we'd already written down how much we assumed we would get in tax revenue, we saw an even bigger hit - $3.9 billion," she said.
Treasurer Wayne Swan called a snap news conference yesterday to make this announcement, and assured Australian's there won't be further spending cuts by arguing such a move risks jobs and could damage economic growth.
We’re a Labor Government - and nothing is more important to us than jobs and job security for the Australians we proudly represent
— Wayne Swan (@SwannyDPM) December 20, 2012
Mylene, everyone is a wake up to you, come on 'fess up that you are a Labor stooge only out to stir us real people up.GIW Monday 24 December, 2012 - 5:11 PM
Crooked, Crooked ,Crooked.
I can't think of any more positives to describe this horrible group of people falsely claiming to represent the Australian public. Led by the worst of the lot, JULIAR. Enjoy your holiday and I hope Katut gives you a rash.Eddy Monday 24 December, 2012 - 11:06 AM
There has been no loss at all in tax revenue Madame Wong. The disgraceful massive debt has been made by you bunch of incompetents throwing money away like confetti such as the $1 Billion given to damned Afghanistan and the list goes on and on. And don't lie to us about 'being up front' you knucklehead. We Aussies don't suffer fools easily Madame!!!Samuel Kyrikos Monday 24 December, 2012 - 7:08 AM
abbott/workchoices has been saying a surplus budget was wrong for australia at this time.surely now,he will come out and support the goverment.maybe he will even release his IR policy,,ooops,sorry that would destroy any political gain dr no can squeeze out of this one.........garry Sunday 23 December, 2012 - 1:26 PM
I have a gut feeling that if the entire failed,incompetent so called cabinet of Gillard and comrades went and jumped off the Gap, then Madame Wong, if true to her vocal unwavering support of these clowns, would likewise jump over with them. She may be a tad smarter to her credit and I dare say might watch the rest of the motley team of boofheads go down! eh eh eh!Luigi T Cassimatis B.Ec Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 10:17 PM
Oh look this Wong woman would blatantly come out with her usual mangled garbage to support any decision taken by the band of utter incompetent boofheads that form this minority socialist Gillard temporary 'government.' A one term mob of abject failures, rorters, dunces and clowns in every way. The lies, the about faces on every issue shows them up for what they are :- incompetent damned fools! Amen.Jonathon L Benson Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 9:57 PM