- 'Thrill killer' Hemming jailed
- Homegrown terror risks by numbers
- Man arrested after police chase
- Three dead in fatal 'neighbourhood dispute'
- Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues
- Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince Engineering to sack 100 workers
- 'Violence, unsafe sex and drugs'
- Why Rosie Batty erupted
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Colin Lacivita on Man arrested after police chase The Police should have gotten a couple of truckies to setup a road block and then abandon their trucks. This would really ... more
- PatQuickCrazy on Man arrested after police chase We could do what the Greens like to do for anything and everything like this...how about we just ban cars? more
- Aria Judilla on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues @GIW - Rather than just bag Mylene personally maybe you could actually point out which part of her post you think was ... more
- david lucas on Man arrested after police chase Dont the police have road spikes? This has gone too long putting many people in small town and on the road at risk more
- MskK on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues You surely have to ask what all these attacks have as a common denominator.... That would be Islam! more
- PJ on Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince ... Its time we faced facts. Australians subsidise Renewable Energy to the tune of $21 Billion now just so its electricity can ... more
- GIW on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues mylene, your comments are just so unbelievable. Get your Labor/Socialist brain into a right mind and say something sensible, ... more
- David on Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince ... Why do they blame the government? Seems to me that they're just using it as an excuse to reduce staff to make more money more
- PJ on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues Morning Neil, I listen with shock at the interview with that Professor.1. tax payer funded job programmes 2. more free ... more
- Peggy on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues I say, let the Jihadists go and hopefully they won't come back for whatever reson but change laws so that they can't come ... more
- Peggy on Why Rosie Batty erupted Someone failed this little boy that's for sure and this is what this is all about.Everyone must answer all questions ... more
- Linda on Why Rosie Batty erupted @ Heather, the police are not stupid. My husband has dealt with hundreds of court orders over his career. The problem is ... more
- GIW on Why Rosie Batty erupted I agree with you @Damo and like you was not game enough to say anything. I was asking that same question from the beginning. more
- mylene on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues More people are going to get killed in Australia in domestic incidents and disputes with neighbours than terrorism. You ... more
- Ben on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues This is one reason why security should be tight at government premises and that includes a ban on wearing the burka in ... more
- Pradman on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues Meanwhile all burqa wearers are welcome in Canberra. more
- Heather on Why Rosie Batty erupted I feel for Rosie Batty ' s loss of her son Luke. It seems the Andersons actions are attributed to MI when it should be ... more
- Factsseeker on Why Rosie Batty erupted What is the matter with our conservative media. There was a child killed here ! The coronial inquiry is being held to try ... more
- Damo on Why Rosie Batty erupted I know i will cop it for saying this but my understanding of this is: Rosie got a intervention order against her husband. ... more
- IBARKER on Why Rosie Batty erupted This one reason why she should not enter Politics. more
Penny Wong not embarrassed by budget surplus back flip
Finance Minister Penny Wong has defended the government's decision to break its budget surplus promise, and insists she's not embarrassed by the back flip.
Speaking with Justin Smith, Ms Wong said a much bigger than anticipated hole in forecast tax revenue left the government with no choice than to leave the budget in deficit, despite continual assurances to bring the budget back to surplus.
"We believe we've come to the point where if we continue to cut to offset a loss of tax revenue, a hole in how much tax revenue we get, that could jeopardise jobs and growth and we're not prepared to do that," she said.
"We had to make the call and we had to be upfront with the Australian people, which is what we've done.
"I'm never embarrassed by making decisions that are in the best economic interests of the nation."
Ms Wong said an 'unusual set of circumstances' involving a high Australian dollar value and decreasing commodity prices were hitting businesses and profits, resulting in less tax revenue.
"Despite the fact we'd already written down how much we assumed we would get in tax revenue, we saw an even bigger hit - $3.9 billion," she said.
Treasurer Wayne Swan called a snap news conference yesterday to make this announcement, and assured Australian's there won't be further spending cuts by arguing such a move risks jobs and could damage economic growth.
We’re a Labor Government - and nothing is more important to us than jobs and job security for the Australians we proudly represent
— Wayne Swan (@SwannyDPM) December 20, 2012
Mylene, everyone is a wake up to you, come on 'fess up that you are a Labor stooge only out to stir us real people up.GIW Monday 24 December, 2012 - 5:11 PM
Crooked, Crooked ,Crooked.
I can't think of any more positives to describe this horrible group of people falsely claiming to represent the Australian public. Led by the worst of the lot, JULIAR. Enjoy your holiday and I hope Katut gives you a rash.Eddy Monday 24 December, 2012 - 11:06 AM
There has been no loss at all in tax revenue Madame Wong. The disgraceful massive debt has been made by you bunch of incompetents throwing money away like confetti such as the $1 Billion given to damned Afghanistan and the list goes on and on. And don't lie to us about 'being up front' you knucklehead. We Aussies don't suffer fools easily Madame!!!Samuel Kyrikos Monday 24 December, 2012 - 7:08 AM
abbott/workchoices has been saying a surplus budget was wrong for australia at this time.surely now,he will come out and support the goverment.maybe he will even release his IR policy,,ooops,sorry that would destroy any political gain dr no can squeeze out of this one.........garry Sunday 23 December, 2012 - 1:26 PM
I have a gut feeling that if the entire failed,incompetent so called cabinet of Gillard and comrades went and jumped off the Gap, then Madame Wong, if true to her vocal unwavering support of these clowns, would likewise jump over with them. She may be a tad smarter to her credit and I dare say might watch the rest of the motley team of boofheads go down! eh eh eh!Luigi T Cassimatis B.Ec Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 10:17 PM
Oh look this Wong woman would blatantly come out with her usual mangled garbage to support any decision taken by the band of utter incompetent boofheads that form this minority socialist Gillard temporary 'government.' A one term mob of abject failures, rorters, dunces and clowns in every way. The lies, the about faces on every issue shows them up for what they are :- incompetent damned fools! Amen.Jonathon L Benson Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 9:57 PM