- Two dead in Moonee Ponds murder
- One killed in South Yarra apartment fire
- Taxi driver jailed for raping teenage girl
- Soccer Match-fixer pleads guilty
- Myki confusion forces closure of Southern Cross info booth
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Reward offered for information on Grandmother's murder
- Western Bulldogs dump cheer squad
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Simon on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Just part of the legacy of Steve Bracks! I miss being able to ride a tram occasionally but its too damn difficult. I hope ... more
- Carole Campisano on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... Puneet is only concerned about his own welfare right now,it's all about him.He hasn't considered the poor victim's ... more
- jason on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 A great man who can now rest in peace. As for Mylene, you really are a weird miserable thing. more
- jason on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Another ripper Labor project which was estimated at $400,000 yet turned out to be the world's most expensive ticketing sytem ... more
- Christine on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... I totally agree with Trent's comments. This person has a nerve carrying on about how he thinks he will be treated, when he ... more
- Lukew on Myki confusion forces closure of ... I am not surprised. Myki confusion is reducing the number of people using public transport, especially casual users and ... more
- Gloss on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 You must all know by now that mylene never misses an opportunity to slag off at Tony and the Libs. Yes a true lefty with a ... more
- Steve on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... This gutless coward will be treated for what he is a hit and run driver and when there is a fatality he deserves to do time ... more
- Mark on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Oh Mylene - what a cuddly witty little lefty you are. Your lack of decency and judgement knows no boundaries. more
- trent on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... He won't be treated as a terrorist. He'll be treated as what he is - a coward and a reckless, worthless, uncaring killer. more
- Craig on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... This man needs to take responsibility and face what he did... more
- JamesD on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Just watched Mitchell's interview with Nelson - have to say I was surprised he was chosen to do it but he performed well more
- William Griffin on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Mylene never let a solemn moment like the death of Nelson Mandela to say something silly. The people have spoken wether we ... more
- William Griffin on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... What you do you not get Puneet you pleaded guilty to a crime now you are to be held to account you scream I am be treated ... more
- mylene on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Ironic we hear about the death of guy who united South Africa while Neil 'interviews' the man who's divided Australia. ;) more
- Tim on Having issues streaming 3AW? Have tried your suggestions but still no luck. Have had to swap our Companies on-hold station from 3AW to your rival FM ... more
- Janet Saunders on Having issues streaming 3AW? I am sick of the 3aw dropping out all the time, I changed to chrome, but no better. I think I need to change radio stations, ... more
- Mick on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs Joyce has gone from trimming QANTAS to destroying it. It seems he is hell bent on making it fail. He is ruining one of the ... more
- Peter on Having issues streaming 3AW? Since you have updated the streaming side to 3AW I can no longer listen at work :( I can not change any browser settings as ... more
- Aria Judilla on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs These job cuts are brought to you by Qantas management. The same management who recently begged shareholders for extra money ... more
Penny Wong not embarrassed by budget surplus back flip
Finance Minister Penny Wong has defended the government's decision to break its budget surplus promise, and insists she's not embarrassed by the back flip.
Speaking with Justin Smith, Ms Wong said a much bigger than anticipated hole in forecast tax revenue left the government with no choice than to leave the budget in deficit, despite continual assurances to bring the budget back to surplus.
"We believe we've come to the point where if we continue to cut to offset a loss of tax revenue, a hole in how much tax revenue we get, that could jeopardise jobs and growth and we're not prepared to do that," she said.
"We had to make the call and we had to be upfront with the Australian people, which is what we've done.
"I'm never embarrassed by making decisions that are in the best economic interests of the nation."
Ms Wong said an 'unusual set of circumstances' involving a high Australian dollar value and decreasing commodity prices were hitting businesses and profits, resulting in less tax revenue.
"Despite the fact we'd already written down how much we assumed we would get in tax revenue, we saw an even bigger hit - $3.9 billion," she said.
Treasurer Wayne Swan called a snap news conference yesterday to make this announcement, and assured Australian's there won't be further spending cuts by arguing such a move risks jobs and could damage economic growth.
We’re a Labor Government - and nothing is more important to us than jobs and job security for the Australians we proudly represent
— Wayne Swan (@SwannyDPM) December 20, 2012
Mylene, everyone is a wake up to you, come on 'fess up that you are a Labor stooge only out to stir us real people up.GIW Monday 24 December, 2012 - 5:11 PM
Crooked, Crooked ,Crooked.
I can't think of any more positives to describe this horrible group of people falsely claiming to represent the Australian public. Led by the worst of the lot, JULIAR. Enjoy your holiday and I hope Katut gives you a rash.Eddy Monday 24 December, 2012 - 11:06 AM
There has been no loss at all in tax revenue Madame Wong. The disgraceful massive debt has been made by you bunch of incompetents throwing money away like confetti such as the $1 Billion given to damned Afghanistan and the list goes on and on. And don't lie to us about 'being up front' you knucklehead. We Aussies don't suffer fools easily Madame!!!Samuel Kyrikos Monday 24 December, 2012 - 7:08 AM
abbott/workchoices has been saying a surplus budget was wrong for australia at this time.surely now,he will come out and support the goverment.maybe he will even release his IR policy,,ooops,sorry that would destroy any political gain dr no can squeeze out of this one.........garry Sunday 23 December, 2012 - 1:26 PM
I have a gut feeling that if the entire failed,incompetent so called cabinet of Gillard and comrades went and jumped off the Gap, then Madame Wong, if true to her vocal unwavering support of these clowns, would likewise jump over with them. She may be a tad smarter to her credit and I dare say might watch the rest of the motley team of boofheads go down! eh eh eh!Luigi T Cassimatis B.Ec Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 10:17 PM
Oh look this Wong woman would blatantly come out with her usual mangled garbage to support any decision taken by the band of utter incompetent boofheads that form this minority socialist Gillard temporary 'government.' A one term mob of abject failures, rorters, dunces and clowns in every way. The lies, the about faces on every issue shows them up for what they are :- incompetent damned fools! Amen.Jonathon L Benson Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 9:57 PM