- Victoria shivers through coldest December day in seven years
- Cricket Australia apologises for insensitive tweet
- Qantas to cut 1000 jobs
- Future of Heidelberg BMX track still in doubt
- 338 PSO fines wrongly issued
- Gold Coast Suns sack Campbell Brown
- Breakfast farewells Mal Walden
- Young hoon performs burnouts in front of cops
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Tim on Having issues streaming 3AW? Have tried your suggestions but still no luck. Have had to swap our Companies on-hold station from 3AW to your rival FM ... more
- Janet Saunders on Having issues streaming 3AW? I am sick of the 3aw dropping out all the time, I changed to chrome, but no better. I think I need to change radio stations, ... more
- Mick on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs Joyce has gone from trimming QANTAS to destroying it. It seems he is hell bent on making it fail. He is ruining one of the ... more
- Peter on Having issues streaming 3AW? Since you have updated the streaming side to 3AW I can no longer listen at work :( I can not change any browser settings as ... more
- Aria Judilla on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs These job cuts are brought to you by Qantas management. The same management who recently begged shareholders for extra money ... more
- paula wilcox on Cricket Australia apologises for ... Why have that Piers Morgan have any credibility. If he sets foot in England he will be charged with fraud for faking ... more
- paula wilcox on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs I am really sick of that CEO that they imported from Ireland. Send him back and fine him to give to the workers he has ... more
- Sinbad on Cricket Australia apologises for ... Same as Afro-American rappers using the 'N' word, same as an Italian calling another Italian a wog......Is this still racist ... more
- Blake on Cricket Australia apologises for ... yeah...not racist. more
- bretho on Cricket Australia apologises for ... Since when has it ever been racist for 4 Indians to dress up as Indians? I understand if it was 4 white people but this is ... more
- John on Cricket Australia apologises for ... I hope the person responsible for this tweet is removed from his position immediately. Very distasteful indeed. Does anyone ... more
- Lukew on Cricket Australia apologises for ... I would like to know what is racist about it? more
- simon on Having issues streaming 3AW? I am a Melburnian currently living in Cebu City Philippines. I am able (sometimes) to get audio but the studio video feed ... more
- Karly on Council calls off BMX track demolition I support Heath and his mates.similar thing happened to my boys in belgrave south. Every time the kids built a bike track ... more
- Pradman on Young hoon performs burnouts in front ... ....and he's allowed to vote more
- LynetteOZ on Breakfast farewells Mal Walden The consummate professional! You'll be missed Mal. Thanks for bringing us the news with a dash of humour where appropriate. more
- John on Having issues streaming 3AW? I run FireFox on win 7 and on Linux Mint FireFox. Install VLC. Shockwave and jvanjvan@plugins (latest levels)and it will all ... more
- Kirk on Breakfast farewells Mal Walden Well done on a great career mal, you were the one that go me interested in watching the news in my early teens in 1996, i ... more
- fiona on Breakfast farewells Mal Walden What a lovely man mal waldon is .lovely to see such emotion on the show tonight, wouldn't we all love to loved and ... more
- Gazza on Young hoon performs burnouts in front ... Surely the revenue cameras will stop this behaviour...... more
Penny Wong not embarrassed by budget surplus back flip
Finance Minister Penny Wong has defended the government's decision to break its budget surplus promise, and insists she's not embarrassed by the back flip.
Speaking with Justin Smith, Ms Wong said a much bigger than anticipated hole in forecast tax revenue left the government with no choice than to leave the budget in deficit, despite continual assurances to bring the budget back to surplus.
"We believe we've come to the point where if we continue to cut to offset a loss of tax revenue, a hole in how much tax revenue we get, that could jeopardise jobs and growth and we're not prepared to do that," she said.
"We had to make the call and we had to be upfront with the Australian people, which is what we've done.
"I'm never embarrassed by making decisions that are in the best economic interests of the nation."
Ms Wong said an 'unusual set of circumstances' involving a high Australian dollar value and decreasing commodity prices were hitting businesses and profits, resulting in less tax revenue.
"Despite the fact we'd already written down how much we assumed we would get in tax revenue, we saw an even bigger hit - $3.9 billion," she said.
Treasurer Wayne Swan called a snap news conference yesterday to make this announcement, and assured Australian's there won't be further spending cuts by arguing such a move risks jobs and could damage economic growth.
We’re a Labor Government - and nothing is more important to us than jobs and job security for the Australians we proudly represent
— Wayne Swan (@SwannyDPM) December 20, 2012
Mylene, everyone is a wake up to you, come on 'fess up that you are a Labor stooge only out to stir us real people up.GIW Monday 24 December, 2012 - 5:11 PM
Crooked, Crooked ,Crooked.
I can't think of any more positives to describe this horrible group of people falsely claiming to represent the Australian public. Led by the worst of the lot, JULIAR. Enjoy your holiday and I hope Katut gives you a rash.Eddy Monday 24 December, 2012 - 11:06 AM
There has been no loss at all in tax revenue Madame Wong. The disgraceful massive debt has been made by you bunch of incompetents throwing money away like confetti such as the $1 Billion given to damned Afghanistan and the list goes on and on. And don't lie to us about 'being up front' you knucklehead. We Aussies don't suffer fools easily Madame!!!Samuel Kyrikos Monday 24 December, 2012 - 7:08 AM
abbott/workchoices has been saying a surplus budget was wrong for australia at this time.surely now,he will come out and support the goverment.maybe he will even release his IR policy,,ooops,sorry that would destroy any political gain dr no can squeeze out of this one.........garry Sunday 23 December, 2012 - 1:26 PM
I have a gut feeling that if the entire failed,incompetent so called cabinet of Gillard and comrades went and jumped off the Gap, then Madame Wong, if true to her vocal unwavering support of these clowns, would likewise jump over with them. She may be a tad smarter to her credit and I dare say might watch the rest of the motley team of boofheads go down! eh eh eh!Luigi T Cassimatis B.Ec Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 10:17 PM
Oh look this Wong woman would blatantly come out with her usual mangled garbage to support any decision taken by the band of utter incompetent boofheads that form this minority socialist Gillard temporary 'government.' A one term mob of abject failures, rorters, dunces and clowns in every way. The lies, the about faces on every issue shows them up for what they are :- incompetent damned fools! Amen.Jonathon L Benson Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 9:57 PM