- FBI help police swoop on accused terror aid
- Bike found with woman's body found at Benalla
- Government puts pen to paper on East West contracts
- Woman assaulted, abused on train
- Out-of-control driver smashes into Hawthorn home fence
- Labor leads election polls
- Body found after Mt Helen house fire
- You could be at home right now
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Mick on Labor leads election polls can't believe there are that many stupid people in the state, I was a regular Labour voter, not any more, all labour want to ... more
- PJ on Labor leads election polls i simply cannot believe Victorians think a socialist will provide economic security and do nothing other than increase CFMEU ... more
- Willow on Labor leads election polls I can't believe that people would prefer Dopey Danny as Premier. Then again this was published in THE AGE which is a wing of ... more
- David T. on Labor leads election polls How soon people forget the incompetence and spending waste of the previous Labor governments. more
- mylene on Labor leads election polls No surprise. The Liberals are cheerleaders for big business sacking workers and avoiding taxes. Their record on public ... more
- Gazza on Labor leads election polls Bring on the election more
- Joy of Clayton on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error What a stupid comment "Seriously" has made. Some people will recognise this young fellow as the person who lives next door, ... more
- Seriously on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error Yes it was a stupid mistake but the the guy they mistook him foreveryone knows is no longer walking around. And who ... more
- Sam on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error As David T commnted above one wonders about the research and verification process related to such an important news ... more
- David T. on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error As if the decent Muslims don't have enough problems caused by these Isil thugs; now the Fairfax press is causing them ... more
- Factsseeker on Police put on high alert Every country has its violent extremists. Our prisons are full of these people. Each bikie gang seems to have a small number ... more
- pete on Police put on high alert make muslims pay for extra security via taxes also families of young terrorists to be charged with facilitation more
- PJ on Police put on high alert Your interview with Krayem was disappointing. He basically said this murderous maniac was our problem and not his ... more
- Stephen james on Police put on high alert Abbott really needs to cut down on the fear and loathing rhetoric,stop this silly Team Oz stuff, and start talking in more ... more
- Jane on Police put on high alert "A little disappointed with Victoria Polices' immediate reaction". Well Mr Ghaith, I am disappointed with Muslim community ... more
- John on Police put on high alert Islamic Council - you are kidding right? Where is your condemnation for the youth that took a knife to the meeting and ... more
- karen on Police put on high alert The Islamic council was disappointed by police reaction? Are you kidding me? They will always find an excuse! It's really ... more
- Ed Niemiec on Police put on high alert Well done Vic Pol!! more
- Jackie on Police put on high alert I hope both officers, recover well. Feeling very much for them, their families, friends and colleagues. more
- John Thompson on Police put on high alert our brave defenders of law and order once again probabley having to pay a price for just doing their job and what a job they ... more
Penny Wong not embarrassed by budget surplus back flip
Finance Minister Penny Wong has defended the government's decision to break its budget surplus promise, and insists she's not embarrassed by the back flip.
Speaking with Justin Smith, Ms Wong said a much bigger than anticipated hole in forecast tax revenue left the government with no choice than to leave the budget in deficit, despite continual assurances to bring the budget back to surplus.
"We believe we've come to the point where if we continue to cut to offset a loss of tax revenue, a hole in how much tax revenue we get, that could jeopardise jobs and growth and we're not prepared to do that," she said.
"We had to make the call and we had to be upfront with the Australian people, which is what we've done.
"I'm never embarrassed by making decisions that are in the best economic interests of the nation."
Ms Wong said an 'unusual set of circumstances' involving a high Australian dollar value and decreasing commodity prices were hitting businesses and profits, resulting in less tax revenue.
"Despite the fact we'd already written down how much we assumed we would get in tax revenue, we saw an even bigger hit - $3.9 billion," she said.
Treasurer Wayne Swan called a snap news conference yesterday to make this announcement, and assured Australian's there won't be further spending cuts by arguing such a move risks jobs and could damage economic growth.
We’re a Labor Government - and nothing is more important to us than jobs and job security for the Australians we proudly represent
— Wayne Swan (@SwannyDPM) December 20, 2012
Mylene, everyone is a wake up to you, come on 'fess up that you are a Labor stooge only out to stir us real people up.GIW Monday 24 December, 2012 - 5:11 PM
Crooked, Crooked ,Crooked.
I can't think of any more positives to describe this horrible group of people falsely claiming to represent the Australian public. Led by the worst of the lot, JULIAR. Enjoy your holiday and I hope Katut gives you a rash.Eddy Monday 24 December, 2012 - 11:06 AM
There has been no loss at all in tax revenue Madame Wong. The disgraceful massive debt has been made by you bunch of incompetents throwing money away like confetti such as the $1 Billion given to damned Afghanistan and the list goes on and on. And don't lie to us about 'being up front' you knucklehead. We Aussies don't suffer fools easily Madame!!!Samuel Kyrikos Monday 24 December, 2012 - 7:08 AM
abbott/workchoices has been saying a surplus budget was wrong for australia at this time.surely now,he will come out and support the goverment.maybe he will even release his IR policy,,ooops,sorry that would destroy any political gain dr no can squeeze out of this one.........garry Sunday 23 December, 2012 - 1:26 PM
I have a gut feeling that if the entire failed,incompetent so called cabinet of Gillard and comrades went and jumped off the Gap, then Madame Wong, if true to her vocal unwavering support of these clowns, would likewise jump over with them. She may be a tad smarter to her credit and I dare say might watch the rest of the motley team of boofheads go down! eh eh eh!Luigi T Cassimatis B.Ec Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 10:17 PM
Oh look this Wong woman would blatantly come out with her usual mangled garbage to support any decision taken by the band of utter incompetent boofheads that form this minority socialist Gillard temporary 'government.' A one term mob of abject failures, rorters, dunces and clowns in every way. The lies, the about faces on every issue shows them up for what they are :- incompetent damned fools! Amen.Jonathon L Benson Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 9:57 PM