- One person trapped after army base tank collision
- Craig Thomson MP faces 19 extra charges
- Essendon footballer in hospital after alleged stabbing
- Top five Melbourne cycling danger spots revealed
- Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing dog amongst rubble
- Tornado death toll revised to 24, including nine children
- Elderly woman critical after home invasion stabbing
- Man accused of hit-run in court
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jillian on Essendon footballer in hospital after ... Another stabbing in the community, but if this case is going to toughen up our legal finding's on stabbing cases then I ... more
- Jillian on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... If only dog's could talk! God bless the both of you. more
- mandy on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... Something good came out of something so bad. Amazing how that little dog survived. more
- Gerard on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill is yet again 'over the hill'.I take it he wants to make his job even easier than it ... more
- KNOW-ALL COPPER on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... ANOTHER CASE OF A GEN X COP, SUSS AT THAT, TALKING DOWN TO THE GENERATION BELOW HIM.NOTHING IS NEW HERE. THIS AGE GROUP X ... more
- Pj on Kevin Rudd changes stance on gay ... Rudd changed his mind? Like he did on the Spill leaving his mates high and dry? Note for us: Lets not give him an ... more
- Greg on Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving ... And this fool was in charge of young AFL players futures.What a role model,not more
- Greg on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... What a huge con the .05 system is.It tells people you can drink & drive but not over that limit.Why not have a zero limit ... more
- Sarah on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... As a current green P-plater with no desire to ever drive after having even one drink, this doesn't bother me at all... If it ... more
- mylene on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... The Nanny State lives!! more
- Jillian on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... How about having a number plate H for hoon or D for drink driver. Let these unstable driver's be known to the motorist on ... more
- robynne on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... I would say till 21,also they should have defencive driving classes at school! more
- stuart on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Why not increase P plate age by 1 year every second year and closely monitor accident results. Evidenced based rules/law ... more
- Joseph Richmond on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... So, why a big Deal? Ugly is still ugly, right? more
- Harry Brown on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... Question is was the baby Ugly or not?If it was then what's the fuss? more
- bushiepete on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... wow most nsw rugby players are ugly and have no necks i guess the babys the same ?? dident see it at least i will sleep ... more
- Jan on Is Celebrity Splash the worst ... I probably only watch a couple of hours of TV in a week now, programming is absolute garbage, I loathe every so called ... more
- Sinbad on Narre Warren homes damaged after Ford ... Dg, it was widely reported in numerous media outlets that the victims were "known to police". 1 + 1 usually equals 2 mate! more
- mandy on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... The parents need to have a go at whoever sent it and why and JAMES it was the NRL it has nothing to do with channel 9 Melb ... more
- Jenny on Bag snatcher targets blind woman in ... Welcome to the new Australia! We are on our way down under the lowest of the lowest. We are so full of ourselves and the ... more
Penny Wong not embarrassed by budget surplus back flip
Finance Minister Penny Wong has defended the government's decision to break its budget surplus promise, and insists she's not embarrassed by the back flip.
Speaking with Justin Smith, Ms Wong said a much bigger than anticipated hole in forecast tax revenue left the government with no choice than to leave the budget in deficit, despite continual assurances to bring the budget back to surplus.
"We believe we've come to the point where if we continue to cut to offset a loss of tax revenue, a hole in how much tax revenue we get, that could jeopardise jobs and growth and we're not prepared to do that," she said.
"We had to make the call and we had to be upfront with the Australian people, which is what we've done.
"I'm never embarrassed by making decisions that are in the best economic interests of the nation."
Ms Wong said an 'unusual set of circumstances' involving a high Australian dollar value and decreasing commodity prices were hitting businesses and profits, resulting in less tax revenue.
"Despite the fact we'd already written down how much we assumed we would get in tax revenue, we saw an even bigger hit - $3.9 billion," she said.
Treasurer Wayne Swan called a snap news conference yesterday to make this announcement, and assured Australian's there won't be further spending cuts by arguing such a move risks jobs and could damage economic growth.
We’re a Labor Government - and nothing is more important to us than jobs and job security for the Australians we proudly represent
— Wayne Swan (@SwannyDPM) December 20, 2012
Mylene, everyone is a wake up to you, come on 'fess up that you are a Labor stooge only out to stir us real people up.GIW Monday 24 December, 2012 - 5:11 PM
Crooked, Crooked ,Crooked.
I can't think of any more positives to describe this horrible group of people falsely claiming to represent the Australian public. Led by the worst of the lot, JULIAR. Enjoy your holiday and I hope Katut gives you a rash.Eddy Monday 24 December, 2012 - 11:06 AM
There has been no loss at all in tax revenue Madame Wong. The disgraceful massive debt has been made by you bunch of incompetents throwing money away like confetti such as the $1 Billion given to damned Afghanistan and the list goes on and on. And don't lie to us about 'being up front' you knucklehead. We Aussies don't suffer fools easily Madame!!!Samuel Kyrikos Monday 24 December, 2012 - 7:08 AM
abbott/workchoices has been saying a surplus budget was wrong for australia at this time.surely now,he will come out and support the goverment.maybe he will even release his IR policy,,ooops,sorry that would destroy any political gain dr no can squeeze out of this one.........garry Sunday 23 December, 2012 - 1:26 PM
I have a gut feeling that if the entire failed,incompetent so called cabinet of Gillard and comrades went and jumped off the Gap, then Madame Wong, if true to her vocal unwavering support of these clowns, would likewise jump over with them. She may be a tad smarter to her credit and I dare say might watch the rest of the motley team of boofheads go down! eh eh eh!Luigi T Cassimatis B.Ec Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 10:17 PM
Oh look this Wong woman would blatantly come out with her usual mangled garbage to support any decision taken by the band of utter incompetent boofheads that form this minority socialist Gillard temporary 'government.' A one term mob of abject failures, rorters, dunces and clowns in every way. The lies, the about faces on every issue shows them up for what they are :- incompetent damned fools! Amen.Jonathon L Benson Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 9:57 PM