- Woman, 73, stabbed in violent break-in
- Tornado rips through Oklahoma City
- Senior cop calls for young drivers to stay on P-Plate up to age of 25
- Kevin Rudd changes stance on gay marriage
- Man deliberately struck in shocking hit-run
- 'Better late than never': Archbishop
- Pair found guilty over Brunswick panel beaters defensive homicide
- Bag snatcher targets blind woman in Keysborough
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Gerard on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill is yet again 'over the hill'.I take it he wants to make his job even easier than it ... more
- KNOW-ALL COPPER on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... ANOTHER CASE OF A GEN X COP, SUSS AT THAT, TALKING DOWN TO THE GENERATION BELOW HIM.NOTHING IS NEW HERE. THIS AGE GROUP X ... more
- Pj on Kevin Rudd changes stance on gay ... Rudd changed his mind? Like he did on the Spill leaving his mates high and dry? Note for us: Lets not give him an ... more
- Greg on Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving ... And this fool was in charge of young AFL players futures.What a role model,not more
- Greg on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... What a huge con the .05 system is.It tells people you can drink & drive but not over that limit.Why not have a zero limit ... more
- Sarah on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... As a current green P-plater with no desire to ever drive after having even one drink, this doesn't bother me at all... If it ... more
- mylene on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... The Nanny State lives!! more
- Jillian on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... How about having a number plate H for hoon or D for drink driver. Let these unstable driver's be known to the motorist on ... more
- robynne on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... I would say till 21,also they should have defencive driving classes at school! more
- stuart on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Why not increase P plate age by 1 year every second year and closely monitor accident results. Evidenced based rules/law ... more
- Joseph Richmond on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... So, why a big Deal? Ugly is still ugly, right? more
- Harry Brown on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... Question is was the baby Ugly or not?If it was then what's the fuss? more
- bushiepete on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... wow most nsw rugby players are ugly and have no necks i guess the babys the same ?? dident see it at least i will sleep ... more
- Jan on Is Celebrity Splash the worst ... I probably only watch a couple of hours of TV in a week now, programming is absolute garbage, I loathe every so called ... more
- Sinbad on Narre Warren homes damaged after Ford ... Dg, it was widely reported in numerous media outlets that the victims were "known to police". 1 + 1 usually equals 2 mate! more
- mandy on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... The parents need to have a go at whoever sent it and why and JAMES it was the NRL it has nothing to do with channel 9 Melb ... more
- Jenny on Bag snatcher targets blind woman in ... Welcome to the new Australia! We are on our way down under the lowest of the lowest. We are so full of ourselves and the ... more
- Trent on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... get over it ! they never called the baby ugly ! the nrl footy show is much better tv then our afl footy show !@ if this is ... more
- IAN on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... If I was the NRL Show I would tell the parents to have a good look at themselves and take a COLD shower. more
- JamesD on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... The Footy Show in Melbourne and Sydney is a disgrace. Newman for years has behaved so poorly with his humiliation of people ... more
PM's Partner makes bizarre 'Asian Doctor' gaffe
The Prime Minister's partner is in hot water for making a joke about Asian women during a reception at the Lodge.
Tim Mathieson was addressing the West Indian Cricket Team on the importance of getting their prostate checked when he joked a digital examination is the only true way to get a correct reading, preferably by a small female Asian doctor.
*Scroll down and watch Tim Mathieson's bizarre comment*
"We can get a blood test for it, but the digital examination is the only true way to get a correct reading on your prostate, so make sure you go and do that, and perhaps look for a small Asian female doctor is probably the best way," Mathieson said.
Premier Ted Baillieu makes a comment on the Tim Mathieson finger gaffe. "Not something you would want see repeated." @3aw693— Justin Smith (@JustinSmith3AW) January 28, 2013
Julia Gillard appeared visibly uncomfortable in the background after the comment was made.
AMA President, Doctor Steve Hambleton says Men's health shouldn't be joked about, especially when the information Mr Mathieson has given is incorrect.
Mathieson apologised this morning, admitting 'poor taste.'
"My comments last night were trying to raise awareness about prostate cancer and the need for men to have regular checks and the importance of early detection.
"It was meant as a joke and on reflection I accept it was in poor taste. I apologise for any offence caused."
Meanwhile, Legal expert Justin Quill says Mathieson's comments might be in breach of proposed anti-discrimination laws.
"There is a very good chance he'd be in breach of the offence provision, which states that you can't insult someone," Quill said.
"If someone feels offended or insulted, you're in breach and you need to see if one of the defences applies to you."
Neil Mitchell does not think Mathieson should be punished by law, but agreed with the general consensus that his comments were entirely inappropriate.
"This is the sort of thing that should be said in a locker room or the pub," Neil said.
"This is the spouse of a Prime Minister who rallies against sexism and misogyny, who talks about the degradation of women and here he is talking about a small female Asian doctor doing a rectal examination.
The Prime Minister said Mr Mathieson did the right thing by apologising for the joke.
PLAY: Legal Expert Justin Quill says Tim Mathieson might be in breach of the proposed anti-discrimination laws
TOM ELLIOTT: Now this joke about preferred prostate doctors having small hands is as old as the hills. It’s only ever intended to add a bit of levity to what is generally accepted as a very serious subject.
Major over reaction to an old, old joke. What I found of most interest in the entire saga was a certain cartoonist whose work appears in a major Australian daily newspaper. For weeks afterwards, every cartoon published under his name included a caricature of Mathieson with an asian woman behind him asking "You want it now Mr Mathieson?" to which Mathieson replied, "Not now Ting Tong, not now!". Where was all the righteous indignation and wails of "Racist, Sexist yarp yarp yarp that usually accompanies any public caricature of a non-white person???Ian Monday 13 May, 2013 - 6:19 PM
Neil I have had 3 rectal examinations by both male and female doctors, uncomfortable yes, hurt no, besides that orifice is elastic, and I could not tell the difference between the male and female doctor.
As for the PSA test, that only tells them there is something wrong, not always cancer, the digital exam tells them wether or not the cancer has reached the surface of the prostrate and about to jump to the bladder.
A worse test still is the biopsy, but I won't go into that here, that really does hurt.
Timo's joke has got to me as the last female doctor was Asian and she wondered why I had a smile on my face.gez Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 6:39 PM
What is he trying to say, our own doctors are not good enough and we should go to Asia for treatment?oxxie Friday 1 February, 2013 - 7:03 PM
I don't really like to denigrate someones views but...you're an idiot Justine. Everyone is different...no 2 people are the same (even twins are not 100% identical in every facet)I bet you're the type who gives dolls to boys to play with and wonder why they grow and don't know who the hell, or what, they're supposed to be.
Your comment is one of the reasons this country is going backwards at an alarming rate....socialist ideology rubbish...thought police, who needs them!!Graeme Thursday 31 January, 2013 - 9:51 AM
Asian women may have smaller hands than western men but you cannot say that. Everyone is equal, same size hands, feet and same build. Every person regardless of ethnic background or religion are identical in every way.Justine Thursday 31 January, 2013 - 1:23 AM
The wheels have gone flat on Australia and there is nothing we can do. If you suggest a woman changes the tyres then that would be sexist. If you suggest a man change the tyres then that is a slap in the face to woman and suggests they can not do it. Political correctness has destroyed what was once a great country. People are living in fear of speaking and this is no way to live. Give me back my country the way it was before the minority took control.Monica Wednesday 30 January, 2013 - 9:39 PM