- Rumour File: AFL faces legal fight with union and Record reporters
- Aussie MH17 investigators in the line of fire
- Breakfast in Glasgow: Ross and John's day of food
- Abbott softens talk on Russia
- Australian to face charges over Commonwealth Games village fight
- Drive-by shooting in Springvale South
- Carlton player Simon White charged by police
- Social media trails show ISIS link to Melbourne schools
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Paul on On the road with Patty the poet cabbie Pat Mullaney now thats a good scots name??? more
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
PM's Partner makes bizarre 'Asian Doctor' gaffe
The Prime Minister's partner is in hot water for making a joke about Asian women during a reception at the Lodge.
Tim Mathieson was addressing the West Indian Cricket Team on the importance of getting their prostate checked when he joked a digital examination is the only true way to get a correct reading, preferably by a small female Asian doctor.
*Scroll down and watch Tim Mathieson's bizarre comment*
"We can get a blood test for it, but the digital examination is the only true way to get a correct reading on your prostate, so make sure you go and do that, and perhaps look for a small Asian female doctor is probably the best way," Mathieson said.
Premier Ted Baillieu makes a comment on the Tim Mathieson finger gaffe. "Not something you would want see repeated." @3aw693— Justin Smith (@JustinSmith3AW) January 28, 2013
Julia Gillard appeared visibly uncomfortable in the background after the comment was made.
AMA President, Doctor Steve Hambleton says Men's health shouldn't be joked about, especially when the information Mr Mathieson has given is incorrect.
Mathieson apologised this morning, admitting 'poor taste.'
"My comments last night were trying to raise awareness about prostate cancer and the need for men to have regular checks and the importance of early detection.
"It was meant as a joke and on reflection I accept it was in poor taste. I apologise for any offence caused."
Meanwhile, Legal expert Justin Quill says Mathieson's comments might be in breach of proposed anti-discrimination laws.
"There is a very good chance he'd be in breach of the offence provision, which states that you can't insult someone," Quill said.
"If someone feels offended or insulted, you're in breach and you need to see if one of the defences applies to you."
Neil Mitchell does not think Mathieson should be punished by law, but agreed with the general consensus that his comments were entirely inappropriate.
"This is the sort of thing that should be said in a locker room or the pub," Neil said.
"This is the spouse of a Prime Minister who rallies against sexism and misogyny, who talks about the degradation of women and here he is talking about a small female Asian doctor doing a rectal examination.
The Prime Minister said Mr Mathieson did the right thing by apologising for the joke.
PLAY: Legal Expert Justin Quill says Tim Mathieson might be in breach of the proposed anti-discrimination laws
TOM ELLIOTT: Now this joke about preferred prostate doctors having small hands is as old as the hills. It’s only ever intended to add a bit of levity to what is generally accepted as a very serious subject.
Major over reaction to an old, old joke. What I found of most interest in the entire saga was a certain cartoonist whose work appears in a major Australian daily newspaper. For weeks afterwards, every cartoon published under his name included a caricature of Mathieson with an asian woman behind him asking "You want it now Mr Mathieson?" to which Mathieson replied, "Not now Ting Tong, not now!". Where was all the righteous indignation and wails of "Racist, Sexist yarp yarp yarp that usually accompanies any public caricature of a non-white person???Ian Monday 13 May, 2013 - 6:19 PM
Neil I have had 3 rectal examinations by both male and female doctors, uncomfortable yes, hurt no, besides that orifice is elastic, and I could not tell the difference between the male and female doctor.
As for the PSA test, that only tells them there is something wrong, not always cancer, the digital exam tells them wether or not the cancer has reached the surface of the prostrate and about to jump to the bladder.
A worse test still is the biopsy, but I won't go into that here, that really does hurt.
Timo's joke has got to me as the last female doctor was Asian and she wondered why I had a smile on my face.gez Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 6:39 PM
What is he trying to say, our own doctors are not good enough and we should go to Asia for treatment?oxxie Friday 1 February, 2013 - 7:03 PM
I don't really like to denigrate someones views but...you're an idiot Justine. Everyone is different...no 2 people are the same (even twins are not 100% identical in every facet)I bet you're the type who gives dolls to boys to play with and wonder why they grow and don't know who the hell, or what, they're supposed to be.
Your comment is one of the reasons this country is going backwards at an alarming rate....socialist ideology rubbish...thought police, who needs them!!Graeme Thursday 31 January, 2013 - 9:51 AM
Asian women may have smaller hands than western men but you cannot say that. Everyone is equal, same size hands, feet and same build. Every person regardless of ethnic background or religion are identical in every way.Justine Thursday 31 January, 2013 - 1:23 AM
The wheels have gone flat on Australia and there is nothing we can do. If you suggest a woman changes the tyres then that would be sexist. If you suggest a man change the tyres then that is a slap in the face to woman and suggests they can not do it. Political correctness has destroyed what was once a great country. People are living in fear of speaking and this is no way to live. Give me back my country the way it was before the minority took control.Monica Wednesday 30 January, 2013 - 9:39 PM