- Video: Bike smashes into car on Clarendon St
- Earthquake hits Greenvale, Epping, Lalor and Roxburgh Park
- Man killed in Wodonga bobcat accident
- Childcare system 'nonsense'
- Paul Dale, Rodney Collins excused from giving evidence
- Fog to cause Melbourne Airport delays
- Scissor bandit can't open cash till
- Government workers cashed in on cosy deals, IBAC hears
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
- Marlene Gow on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' I wonder how Malthouse would've reacted if some other football identity spoke in that manner to his own daughter those few ... more
- kim on Victorian town's HIV scare Re the Dr Lester interview. It was said earlier in the morning - somewhere between 530 & 630 that the health professional ... more
- Faye on Young Aussies gored in bull run GO BULLS !! more
- Kevin on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' Good manners and decency cost nothing and go such a long way. Mick simply needs to be nice to people, it's not ... more
- Mark Ellison on Victorian town's HIV scare How does "coming into contact" with an HIV infected person, carry a risk? I presume the Health Professional isn't providing ... more
- Matt on Fans ripped-off by Tyson 'Meet & Greet' That is why I picked up the iron, him in the spa. more
- Amanda on Ice town: Victorian region's ... I know of a group of users in Neerim Sth. Folks should take a more loving stance on the unfortunate statement the journalist ... more
PM's Partner makes bizarre 'Asian Doctor' gaffe
The Prime Minister's partner is in hot water for making a joke about Asian women during a reception at the Lodge.
Tim Mathieson was addressing the West Indian Cricket Team on the importance of getting their prostate checked when he joked a digital examination is the only true way to get a correct reading, preferably by a small female Asian doctor.
*Scroll down and watch Tim Mathieson's bizarre comment*
"We can get a blood test for it, but the digital examination is the only true way to get a correct reading on your prostate, so make sure you go and do that, and perhaps look for a small Asian female doctor is probably the best way," Mathieson said.
Premier Ted Baillieu makes a comment on the Tim Mathieson finger gaffe. "Not something you would want see repeated." @3aw693— Justin Smith (@JustinSmith3AW) January 28, 2013
Julia Gillard appeared visibly uncomfortable in the background after the comment was made.
AMA President, Doctor Steve Hambleton says Men's health shouldn't be joked about, especially when the information Mr Mathieson has given is incorrect.
Mathieson apologised this morning, admitting 'poor taste.'
"My comments last night were trying to raise awareness about prostate cancer and the need for men to have regular checks and the importance of early detection.
"It was meant as a joke and on reflection I accept it was in poor taste. I apologise for any offence caused."
Meanwhile, Legal expert Justin Quill says Mathieson's comments might be in breach of proposed anti-discrimination laws.
"There is a very good chance he'd be in breach of the offence provision, which states that you can't insult someone," Quill said.
"If someone feels offended or insulted, you're in breach and you need to see if one of the defences applies to you."
Neil Mitchell does not think Mathieson should be punished by law, but agreed with the general consensus that his comments were entirely inappropriate.
"This is the sort of thing that should be said in a locker room or the pub," Neil said.
"This is the spouse of a Prime Minister who rallies against sexism and misogyny, who talks about the degradation of women and here he is talking about a small female Asian doctor doing a rectal examination.
The Prime Minister said Mr Mathieson did the right thing by apologising for the joke.
PLAY: Legal Expert Justin Quill says Tim Mathieson might be in breach of the proposed anti-discrimination laws
TOM ELLIOTT: Now this joke about preferred prostate doctors having small hands is as old as the hills. It’s only ever intended to add a bit of levity to what is generally accepted as a very serious subject.
Major over reaction to an old, old joke. What I found of most interest in the entire saga was a certain cartoonist whose work appears in a major Australian daily newspaper. For weeks afterwards, every cartoon published under his name included a caricature of Mathieson with an asian woman behind him asking "You want it now Mr Mathieson?" to which Mathieson replied, "Not now Ting Tong, not now!". Where was all the righteous indignation and wails of "Racist, Sexist yarp yarp yarp that usually accompanies any public caricature of a non-white person???Ian Monday 13 May, 2013 - 6:19 PM
Neil I have had 3 rectal examinations by both male and female doctors, uncomfortable yes, hurt no, besides that orifice is elastic, and I could not tell the difference between the male and female doctor.
As for the PSA test, that only tells them there is something wrong, not always cancer, the digital exam tells them wether or not the cancer has reached the surface of the prostrate and about to jump to the bladder.
A worse test still is the biopsy, but I won't go into that here, that really does hurt.
Timo's joke has got to me as the last female doctor was Asian and she wondered why I had a smile on my face.gez Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 6:39 PM
What is he trying to say, our own doctors are not good enough and we should go to Asia for treatment?oxxie Friday 1 February, 2013 - 7:03 PM
I don't really like to denigrate someones views but...you're an idiot Justine. Everyone is different...no 2 people are the same (even twins are not 100% identical in every facet)I bet you're the type who gives dolls to boys to play with and wonder why they grow and don't know who the hell, or what, they're supposed to be.
Your comment is one of the reasons this country is going backwards at an alarming rate....socialist ideology rubbish...thought police, who needs them!!Graeme Thursday 31 January, 2013 - 9:51 AM
Asian women may have smaller hands than western men but you cannot say that. Everyone is equal, same size hands, feet and same build. Every person regardless of ethnic background or religion are identical in every way.Justine Thursday 31 January, 2013 - 1:23 AM
The wheels have gone flat on Australia and there is nothing we can do. If you suggest a woman changes the tyres then that would be sexist. If you suggest a man change the tyres then that is a slap in the face to woman and suggests they can not do it. Political correctness has destroyed what was once a great country. People are living in fear of speaking and this is no way to live. Give me back my country the way it was before the minority took control.Monica Wednesday 30 January, 2013 - 9:39 PM