- GWS joins gay marriage debate
- Smoking cops 'not a good look'
- Sly's Policeman of the year award
- Husband's 'brutal' bludgeoning to stop wife moving
- The most powerful selfie ever?
- Bung case not limited to one man: Lay
- Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry assistance
- Concerns for missing 14-year-old
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- bc on Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry ... ask mud guts hockey to take a pay cut not on your life buddy neil ask hockey how much is it costing the tax payers flying ... more
- double standards for coppers on Smoking cops 'not a good look' Former Victoria Police detective Charlie Bezzina, who has(had) 38 years experience in force, says sometimes internal police ... more
- wayne on Having issues streaming 3AW? I listen to the ABC because I still cant get any Fairfax Stations at all and the computer is two years old FIX IT more
- bigmoralcopper on Man launches petition to reel in ... Perhaps if this Steve, who by his own admission was employed for over thirty years constant,was made to follow the ... more
- oh dear on GWS joins gay marriage debate what will Gay Western Sydney do next? support climate change legislation and asylum seekers? more
- mandy on Killer whales spotted in Western Port ... Don't tell those rednecks in W.A Peter Glee son,Greg Hunt,and the fisheries minister Troy Buswell they will want them culled ... more
- Will on Face-bong: Online drug market On Neils show today it was mentioned that 5 people had been put in intensive care this week using the fake synthetic ... more
- Steve on Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry ... Why don't the government give all the money that goes to Indonesia to the car industry? charity begins at home or it should ... more
- Steve on Preston road rage caught on camera Morons; like this bloke should lose their license good chance he may have been on drugs the rear number plate is visible so ... more
- Pradman on Preston road rage caught on camera '....she was punched in the face by a cyclist.' after she did an illegal u-turn on Beach Road. more
- Aria Judilla on Preston road rage caught on camera I'm just waiting for all the usual feral drivers to start cheering on the braindead ute driver because the other car ... more
- jgl Melb on The most powerful selfie ever? South Africa can think themselves lucky Dubbya didn't invade the joint looking for WMD. more
- Chris on Man launches petition to reel in ... Typical feral female. more
- mylene on Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry ... Hockey seems to be enjoying this. It's good to see someone so happy just doing their job. more
- Joseph Logan on Husband's 'brutal' bludgeoning to stop ... So Judge thinks it is "selfish, egotistical and controlling to love and want three children? The woman was taking the 3 to ... more
- Christine on Joe Hockey won't budge on car industry ... It's time this industry stood on their own and stop threatening the Government. Same with the unions, get in the real ... more
- Catherine on The most powerful selfie ever? I find this action to be totally disrespectful. more
- Gloss on Baby Daniel 'gagged, tied, kept in a ... The mother knew her son was being tortured and did NOTHING because she was frightened. Come on, how frightened was her poor ... more
- GIW on Man launches petition to reel in ... How about petition for those who belive this feral idiot got what she deserved. more
- kezza on 'Livelihood' stolen while family slept these guys not only have had their livelihood stolen, but have battled to recover since the devastating Black Saturday ... more
Police shoot and kill dog in driveway
Victoria police are being accused of being heavy handed after shooting a pet dog dead in the driveway of a Wendouree home.
Two officers attended the Willow Grove property just before 9am when the incident occurred.
Police allege the dog, a seven-year-old Bull Mastiff approached the officers in a "threatening manner", saying a male senior constable fired the single shot after fearing he was going to be attacked.
But local residents have reacted angrily to the incident, telling the Ballarat Courier the dog was docile and loved in the local community.
LISTEN: Distraught daughter of the dog owner, Renee Fraser
Renee Fraser, daughter of the dog's owner was at home at the time and says the dog was walking away from officers when it was shot in the back of the head.
"The police were standing outside our front gate, they said they were going to discharge their firearm and they shot him in the back of the head," Renee said, fighting back tears.
"The dog had his back turned to them and he was shot in the back of the head. I don't understand it.
Image: Justin Whitelock, Ballarat Courier
"He never bit anyone, we got him purebred for $2000 and now we're burying him in the backyard."
Ballarat Police released a statement on Tuesday afternoon:
"Around 8.55am this morning two members from Ballarat police attended an address on Willow Grove, Wendouree in relation to an ongoing police investigation.
When they arrived at the property a dog has approached the members aggressively, leading to them fearing they were in danger of being attacked.
A male senior constable has fired a shot at the animal, killing it. No one else was injured during the incident and the deceased bull mastiff remains at the property.
Under Victoria Police guidelines members are able to use their firearm or other equipment to deter attacking animals. A use of force report will now be filed in relation to the incident."
The scene in Wendouree (Justin Whitelock, Ballarat Courier)
this is unfair and cruelty to animals, it was turning around but the police officer shot it. it could not have been dangerous to anyone if it had turned around then got shot in the back of the neck!!ashley Thursday 12 September, 2013 - 11:39 AM
This was someone's pet. A part of their family. Whether they live in Willow Grove or Wendouree Parade, if their dog was NOT being aggressive, it should not have been shot.
Let the family grieve without your judgement calls.Disgusted with Ballarat Saturday 7 September, 2013 - 11:37 PM
What is going on in the world? The police are getting a bit out of hand, wouldn't you say? Really! What is going on with the police?Mona Friday 6 September, 2013 - 11:16 AM
This is such a sad sad story. The dog was in its yard. It wasnt roaming the streets. I am disgusted at your judgemental comments Mandy!!! You dont know these people & whether they work or not & what that even has to do with their dog being shot is beyond me! This dog was shot in the back of the head so the cop is obviously gun happy. This happens in the USA all the time. This better be a 1 of incident as I am horrified of happening again. RIP Bruiser. You did nothing wrong mate. The human race should be ashamed of itself :(Bobbie Wednesday 4 September, 2013 - 2:40 PM
@Maureen, none of us were there but we are going on the report of the people who were there.
Good enough for you?Peggy Wednesday 4 September, 2013 - 2:32 PM
I cannot understand how the dog was shot in the back if it was about to attack...was it some for of doggie ninja. OR a simple act of cowardice by a person who is supposed to act to help us.
This act has to be investigated and the officer punished for murdering this beautiful member of the familymichelle Wednesday 4 September, 2013 - 2:00 PM