- 'Heads must roll, or the voters will roll you'
- On the road with Patty the poet cabbie
- Marathon hero, hamburger lover
- Peter Slipper found guilty
- Demons sign Paul Roos for another year
- Seal swims to South Yarra
- Police investigate football leg break
- Umpire reverses match-winning goal for 'faked' injury
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
Police shoot and kill dog in driveway
Victoria police are being accused of being heavy handed after shooting a pet dog dead in the driveway of a Wendouree home.
Two officers attended the Willow Grove property just before 9am when the incident occurred.
Police allege the dog, a seven-year-old Bull Mastiff approached the officers in a "threatening manner", saying a male senior constable fired the single shot after fearing he was going to be attacked.
But local residents have reacted angrily to the incident, telling the Ballarat Courier the dog was docile and loved in the local community.
LISTEN: Distraught daughter of the dog owner, Renee Fraser
Renee Fraser, daughter of the dog's owner was at home at the time and says the dog was walking away from officers when it was shot in the back of the head.
"The police were standing outside our front gate, they said they were going to discharge their firearm and they shot him in the back of the head," Renee said, fighting back tears.
"The dog had his back turned to them and he was shot in the back of the head. I don't understand it.
Image: Justin Whitelock, Ballarat Courier
"He never bit anyone, we got him purebred for $2000 and now we're burying him in the backyard."
Ballarat Police released a statement on Tuesday afternoon:
"Around 8.55am this morning two members from Ballarat police attended an address on Willow Grove, Wendouree in relation to an ongoing police investigation.
When they arrived at the property a dog has approached the members aggressively, leading to them fearing they were in danger of being attacked.
A male senior constable has fired a shot at the animal, killing it. No one else was injured during the incident and the deceased bull mastiff remains at the property.
Under Victoria Police guidelines members are able to use their firearm or other equipment to deter attacking animals. A use of force report will now be filed in relation to the incident."
The scene in Wendouree (Justin Whitelock, Ballarat Courier)
this is unfair and cruelty to animals, it was turning around but the police officer shot it. it could not have been dangerous to anyone if it had turned around then got shot in the back of the neck!!ashley Thursday 12 September, 2013 - 11:39 AM
This was someone's pet. A part of their family. Whether they live in Willow Grove or Wendouree Parade, if their dog was NOT being aggressive, it should not have been shot.
Let the family grieve without your judgement calls.Disgusted with Ballarat Saturday 7 September, 2013 - 11:37 PM
What is going on in the world? The police are getting a bit out of hand, wouldn't you say? Really! What is going on with the police?Mona Friday 6 September, 2013 - 11:16 AM
This is such a sad sad story. The dog was in its yard. It wasnt roaming the streets. I am disgusted at your judgemental comments Mandy!!! You dont know these people & whether they work or not & what that even has to do with their dog being shot is beyond me! This dog was shot in the back of the head so the cop is obviously gun happy. This happens in the USA all the time. This better be a 1 of incident as I am horrified of happening again. RIP Bruiser. You did nothing wrong mate. The human race should be ashamed of itself :(Bobbie Wednesday 4 September, 2013 - 2:40 PM
@Maureen, none of us were there but we are going on the report of the people who were there.
Good enough for you?Peggy Wednesday 4 September, 2013 - 2:32 PM
I cannot understand how the dog was shot in the back if it was about to attack...was it some for of doggie ninja. OR a simple act of cowardice by a person who is supposed to act to help us.
This act has to be investigated and the officer punished for murdering this beautiful member of the familymichelle Wednesday 4 September, 2013 - 2:00 PM