- Carlton player Simon White charged by police
- Social media trails show ISIS link to Melbourne schools
- Ross and John in Glasgow: Heritage Day
- Robert Doyle: 'It's a mess, a gigantic error'
- Sex attacker assaults girl, 16
- Jim Schembri reviews: Hercules 3D, Mrs Browns Boys D'Movie and more
- 'Heads must roll, or the voters will roll you'
- On the road with Patty the poet cabbie
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Paul on On the road with Patty the poet cabbie Pat Mullaney now thats a good scots name??? more
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
Power surge residents will receive compensation
UPDATE: Residents of Mornington, Mt Martha and Moorooduc who suffered damage as a result of yesterday’s power surge can have their broken appliances replaced.
Spokesperson for United Energy Lisa Drought says customers should submit a ‘claim form’ which will then be judged on a case-by-case basis.
“This is a terrible inconvenience for people, it is also a frightening experience in some cases, obviously yesterday and overnight we have been focusing on taking people calls and helping them if they are concerned at all from a safety point of view,”
“Now we are moving onto that next phase of assisting people with their claim. They do have to work through a process and our job is to make that process as painless as possible” she told Neil Mitchell.
United Energy ask all customers within the affected areas to please check your appliances for electrical damage and call them on 1300 131 689 if you have any questions or concerns.
If you wish to make a claim following appliance damageyou can access a claim form here.
WEDNESDAY: An electrical surge in Mount Martha and Mornington has sparked nearly 60 calls to the CFA for help.
Residents around the area have been urged to check their homes after the surge came from the Mornington sub-station around 9:00am.
The affected area is between Craigie Road and Bungower Road
Neil Mitchell spoke to CFA Operations Manager Trevor Owen who said fire fighters have put out 48 small fires in the area, 14 of which that could've turned into significant blazes if not for their quick response.
"Our biggest concern is that people smell smoke and contact emergency services straight away. They should also be looking out for their neighbours properties who might not be home. If they see smoke coming out of their windows it's a sign there might be a fire," he said.
Owen added the danger could persist for the next four to five hours.
"Wires in fuses, insulation, roofs and appliances can still catch fire and the repercussions could be very serious if they aren't noticed."
If you detect smoke in your house, turn off appliances and call 000 immediately.
LISTEN: CFA Operations Manager Trevor Owen:
Over 7 months waiting for compensation from united energy, also the inconvenience of non-working appliances. Wrong on so many levels.
There should be a class action taken against them for the $100,000 residents are out of pocket through no fault of their own.sue Tuesday 9 July, 2013 - 10:02 AM
Just spoke to Keiren Mcallister at United Energy.....Computers over 3 years of age will not be replaced ---no claim at all...I had a working pc for a home business and now have no working computersharon Thursday 31 January, 2013 - 4:07 PM
I have again contacted united, just get the run around, I replaced the phone and bought a new pc on interested free terms at Harvey Norman.Pond pump is dead microwaves catches fire if I turn it on. They asked me to email photos of the appliances...have done that, now that just leave me on hold in the hope that I hang upsharon Thursday 31 January, 2013 - 3:51 PM
We have also been effected by a United Energy Claim.
The Best thing to do is contact Channel 9 ACA or Channel 7 Today tonight with a story, as they will follow it up quicker than the drawn out process that united energy take.D.P Tuesday 29 January, 2013 - 6:04 PM
I am in Wantirna Sth and we just had a power surge that blew up my little flat screen, not that old and not happy being a pensioner!Joanne Bamber Monday 28 January, 2013 - 5:25 PM
United Energy are not making the claim process easy! They are certainly not paying promptly as promised at their Community meetings held at Benton's Square. I, and many others that I am aware of (I work in customer service and people like to talk!)are still waiting more than 5 weeks after this happened for United Energy to "investigate" our claims, making us feel as though we're criminals trying to rort the system. In our case, and again many others that I'm aware of, their own service teams were required to attend our property on the day of this power surge, and the resulting damage would have been documented. And yet, we wait with outstanding bills to be paid, while United Energy do not respond to our emails, nor provide any info in follow up calls, other than to say that this is their process and all claims have to be investigated. They are not providing the service they promised after being pushed into any action initially only as a response of 3AW's interest in this on the day of the power surge, and they seem to have totally missed the point that this power surge was NOT our fault, we are the victims here!fed up of Mornington Friday 18 January, 2013 - 12:26 PM