- Victoria shivers through coldest December day in seven years
- Cricket Australia apologises for insensitive tweet
- Qantas to cut 1000 jobs
- Future of Heidelberg BMX track still in doubt
- 338 PSO fines wrongly issued
- Gold Coast Suns sack Campbell Brown
- Breakfast farewells Mal Walden
- Young hoon performs burnouts in front of cops
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Tim on Having issues streaming 3AW? Have tried your suggestions but still no luck. Have had to swap our Companies on-hold station from 3AW to your rival FM ... more
- Janet Saunders on Having issues streaming 3AW? I am sick of the 3aw dropping out all the time, I changed to chrome, but no better. I think I need to change radio stations, ... more
- Mick on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs Joyce has gone from trimming QANTAS to destroying it. It seems he is hell bent on making it fail. He is ruining one of the ... more
- Peter on Having issues streaming 3AW? Since you have updated the streaming side to 3AW I can no longer listen at work :( I can not change any browser settings as ... more
- Aria Judilla on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs These job cuts are brought to you by Qantas management. The same management who recently begged shareholders for extra money ... more
- paula wilcox on Cricket Australia apologises for ... Why have that Piers Morgan have any credibility. If he sets foot in England he will be charged with fraud for faking ... more
- paula wilcox on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs I am really sick of that CEO that they imported from Ireland. Send him back and fine him to give to the workers he has ... more
- Sinbad on Cricket Australia apologises for ... Same as Afro-American rappers using the 'N' word, same as an Italian calling another Italian a wog......Is this still racist ... more
- Blake on Cricket Australia apologises for ... yeah...not racist. more
- bretho on Cricket Australia apologises for ... Since when has it ever been racist for 4 Indians to dress up as Indians? I understand if it was 4 white people but this is ... more
- John on Cricket Australia apologises for ... I hope the person responsible for this tweet is removed from his position immediately. Very distasteful indeed. Does anyone ... more
- Lukew on Cricket Australia apologises for ... I would like to know what is racist about it? more
- simon on Having issues streaming 3AW? I am a Melburnian currently living in Cebu City Philippines. I am able (sometimes) to get audio but the studio video feed ... more
- Karly on Council calls off BMX track demolition I support Heath and his mates.similar thing happened to my boys in belgrave south. Every time the kids built a bike track ... more
- Pradman on Young hoon performs burnouts in front ... ....and he's allowed to vote more
- LynetteOZ on Breakfast farewells Mal Walden The consummate professional! You'll be missed Mal. Thanks for bringing us the news with a dash of humour where appropriate. more
- John on Having issues streaming 3AW? I run FireFox on win 7 and on Linux Mint FireFox. Install VLC. Shockwave and jvanjvan@plugins (latest levels)and it will all ... more
- Kirk on Breakfast farewells Mal Walden Well done on a great career mal, you were the one that go me interested in watching the news in my early teens in 1996, i ... more
- fiona on Breakfast farewells Mal Walden What a lovely man mal waldon is .lovely to see such emotion on the show tonight, wouldn't we all love to loved and ... more
- Gazza on Young hoon performs burnouts in front ... Surely the revenue cameras will stop this behaviour...... more
Power surge residents will receive compensation
UPDATE: Residents of Mornington, Mt Martha and Moorooduc who suffered damage as a result of yesterday’s power surge can have their broken appliances replaced.
Spokesperson for United Energy Lisa Drought says customers should submit a ‘claim form’ which will then be judged on a case-by-case basis.
“This is a terrible inconvenience for people, it is also a frightening experience in some cases, obviously yesterday and overnight we have been focusing on taking people calls and helping them if they are concerned at all from a safety point of view,”
“Now we are moving onto that next phase of assisting people with their claim. They do have to work through a process and our job is to make that process as painless as possible” she told Neil Mitchell.
United Energy ask all customers within the affected areas to please check your appliances for electrical damage and call them on 1300 131 689 if you have any questions or concerns.
If you wish to make a claim following appliance damageyou can access a claim form here.
WEDNESDAY: An electrical surge in Mount Martha and Mornington has sparked nearly 60 calls to the CFA for help.
Residents around the area have been urged to check their homes after the surge came from the Mornington sub-station around 9:00am.
The affected area is between Craigie Road and Bungower Road
Neil Mitchell spoke to CFA Operations Manager Trevor Owen who said fire fighters have put out 48 small fires in the area, 14 of which that could've turned into significant blazes if not for their quick response.
"Our biggest concern is that people smell smoke and contact emergency services straight away. They should also be looking out for their neighbours properties who might not be home. If they see smoke coming out of their windows it's a sign there might be a fire," he said.
Owen added the danger could persist for the next four to five hours.
"Wires in fuses, insulation, roofs and appliances can still catch fire and the repercussions could be very serious if they aren't noticed."
If you detect smoke in your house, turn off appliances and call 000 immediately.
LISTEN: CFA Operations Manager Trevor Owen:
Over 7 months waiting for compensation from united energy, also the inconvenience of non-working appliances. Wrong on so many levels.
There should be a class action taken against them for the $100,000 residents are out of pocket through no fault of their own.sue Tuesday 9 July, 2013 - 10:02 AM
Just spoke to Keiren Mcallister at United Energy.....Computers over 3 years of age will not be replaced ---no claim at all...I had a working pc for a home business and now have no working computersharon Thursday 31 January, 2013 - 4:07 PM
I have again contacted united, just get the run around, I replaced the phone and bought a new pc on interested free terms at Harvey Norman.Pond pump is dead microwaves catches fire if I turn it on. They asked me to email photos of the appliances...have done that, now that just leave me on hold in the hope that I hang upsharon Thursday 31 January, 2013 - 3:51 PM
We have also been effected by a United Energy Claim.
The Best thing to do is contact Channel 9 ACA or Channel 7 Today tonight with a story, as they will follow it up quicker than the drawn out process that united energy take.D.P Tuesday 29 January, 2013 - 6:04 PM
I am in Wantirna Sth and we just had a power surge that blew up my little flat screen, not that old and not happy being a pensioner!Joanne Bamber Monday 28 January, 2013 - 5:25 PM
United Energy are not making the claim process easy! They are certainly not paying promptly as promised at their Community meetings held at Benton's Square. I, and many others that I am aware of (I work in customer service and people like to talk!)are still waiting more than 5 weeks after this happened for United Energy to "investigate" our claims, making us feel as though we're criminals trying to rort the system. In our case, and again many others that I'm aware of, their own service teams were required to attend our property on the day of this power surge, and the resulting damage would have been documented. And yet, we wait with outstanding bills to be paid, while United Energy do not respond to our emails, nor provide any info in follow up calls, other than to say that this is their process and all claims have to be investigated. They are not providing the service they promised after being pushed into any action initially only as a response of 3AW's interest in this on the day of the power surge, and they seem to have totally missed the point that this power surge was NOT our fault, we are the victims here!fed up of Mornington Friday 18 January, 2013 - 12:26 PM