- Chewing gum bandit pulls knife
- ISIS releases new beheading video
- ISIS shoots at Australian aid plane: Reports
- Pedestrian killed on the West Gate Fwy
- Hird, Essendon have their days in court
- Truck sinks into Prahran road
- 'He's been a huge success'
- Where has it gone wrong for Qantas?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Going after Greens voters.. Their evil twin the Greens won't be to impressed with that more
- Ross on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' "Process", "Process", "Process". Davis is a broken record. I'm a Paramedic, and if I had a dollar for every time he's called ... more
- Gloria on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Danny Boy Andrews, how to win friends and influence people, bring in a drug law that can be rorted by druggies and ... more
- Peggy on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' What a situation we are going to be in at the next election. If we want to do the right thing and have this approved and ... more
- Samantha Mclean on Shoeless creep attacks in Fitzroy North Put guards back at all stations!!! more
- IBARKER on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Tell him to walk and if he does he might loose one of those "CHINS". more
- Atticus on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... He parked put the front so that porky would not have to walk too far.Disgrace. more
- James on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Why didn't 3AW give him a spot in the visitor car park if he is expected/a regular guest? more
- Bugs54 on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If you park your car on the nature strip the council will say it's their land and fine you,yet they want you to mow it and ... more
- Mr Gararth on Monash Council to fine you for not ... No wonder Rudd dropped Geoff Lake as the candidate for Hotham last year. Get out of our lives local government! more
- KANE on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Melbournians are going to be 'Taxed, Dutied, Priced, Tar riffed, Levied, Excised, Pork Barreled OUT OF EXISTANCE!!! more
- Geoff on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Easy solution to the problem. If the council don't want to look after their own land ie the nature strips, just give the ... more
- mylene on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If Darebin council tried this they'd make a billion dollars before the sun went down. more
- bc on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' get WADA to come in over the top and give the killer blow stuff the AFL and hird and doctor little more
- Rod on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' What's Paul Little talking about. They have only been in court for 3 days. If Essendon don't get some sort of penalty, Then ... more
- Mooroolbark Mick on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' "Swepped" indicates the level of intelligence we have in this debate. I give up! more
- Peter Flynn on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Yes we the footy public do want to know and if the Essendon Football Club and James Hird were not gagged maybe we would. And ... more
- Docklands on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Show Cause Notices Issued.Essendon shows bokk of what was given and on what dates and to who ?Notices withdrawn. What has ... more
- Arthur Hiliard on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' If these footy "sportsman" have nothing to hide they should be welcoming any investigation! Seems they're a bit shocked to ... more
- David on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' We haven't got deal fatigue. We want to see Essendon held to account. Let the charges be heard! The public wants to see ... more
Prime Minister Julia Gillard announces a Royal Commission into child sex abuse
Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced a Royal Commission into child sex abuse within religious organisations, non-religious organisations and state care.
3AW presenters Neil Mitchell and Derryn Hinch were among the chorus of calls for Ms Gillard to act.
At a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra this afternoon, Ms Gillard said a Royal Commission was the best way to ensure victims of child sex abuse had 'their voices heard and claims investigated'.
"I commend the victims involved for having the courage to speak out," Ms Gillard said.
"I believe we must do everything we can to make sure that what has happened in the past is never allowed to happen again."
The Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet has issued a statement saying those who wish to be kept advised on the establishment of the Royal Commission, or those who would like their details pass onto the Secretariat of the Royal Commission can telephone 1800 099 340 or email email@example.com.
An announcement on the proposed Commissioner and detailed terms of reference will be made in coming weeks.
Derryn Hinch, who championed calls for a Royal Commission, congratulated Ms Gillard on her move, but said he hoped the government didn't collaborate too closely with the Church.
Give PMcredit for action on Royal Commission.The Hunch came true. I leave 3AW a happy man. For many this has been a long battle.— Derryn Hinch (@HumanHeadline) November 12, 2012
Neil Mitchell last week also called for the Gillard government to step in and announce a Royal Commission.
"We need a Royal Commission, a Federal Commission, and that commission needs to subpoena and put on their stand everybody from Archbishop George Pell down," he said.
The Prime Minister has warned the inquiry could take years.
This will be the first Royal Commission Ms Gillard has called during her Prime Ministerial tenure.
Should you require immediate or crisis support, please contact Lifeline on 13 11 14. The Government has also established a 'Find and Connect' support service to provide counselling and support to those affected by child abuse which can be contacted on 1800 161 109.
NEIL MITCHELL: The Church needs to be put in the witness box. The community is owed the truth. The followers of the church are owed the truth. Their victims more than anything are owed that little satisfaction.
CHURCH ABUSE: Bill Shorten has told Neil Mitchell he feared he could have been a victim of a predatory priest in his youth. Mr Shorten said he had been asked to be an altar boy by his local priest, who turned out to be an abuser.
There is nothing genuine in this from Gillard. Like her Gender bias agenda, this is yet another issue that she sees will distract the voting public from her own sorrowful under-performance, lies and backstabbing.Jake Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 7:51 AM
Typically gutless comment from keyboard hero.
Unfortunately this gives Hinch sycophants such as feral Cheryly the opportunity to vent their anti Catholic bigotry.Gavan Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 6:03 PM
Another in this "INEPT so called minority "GOVERNMENT" to devert the real "TOPICS". It will not work "JULIAR" I repeat "JULIAR". Wake us Auusies and do not get "SUCKED" IN BY THIS "LIAR".IAN Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 3:41 PM
WOW, The two biggies, the Government Versus The Catholic Church.
Why not a Royal Commission into the bullying tactics of the Taxation department that goes on everyday leaving innocent people with PTSD.caz Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 2:37 PM
When is the world gonna wake up and realize theres no such thing as God
Well if there's no such thing as God, how come you know what his name is, huh?Smart Alec Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 2:18 PM
Cheryl, taking a leaf out of Julia's book i see getting abusive when ever this Governments antics are questioned.Stephen Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 1:36 PM