- Hird, Essendon have their days in court
- Truck sinks into Prahran road
- 'He's been a huge success'
- Where has it gone wrong for Qantas?
- Police hunt man after lift assault
- Teens injured in Western Ring Road drag racing flip
- James Hird nominates Patrick Smith
- I found the experience so deeply unsettling
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Going after Greens voters.. Their evil twin the Greens won't be to impressed with that more
- Ross on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' "Process", "Process", "Process". Davis is a broken record. I'm a Paramedic, and if I had a dollar for every time he's called ... more
- Gloria on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Danny Boy Andrews, how to win friends and influence people, bring in a drug law that can be rorted by druggies and ... more
- Peggy on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' What a situation we are going to be in at the next election. If we want to do the right thing and have this approved and ... more
- Samantha Mclean on Shoeless creep attacks in Fitzroy North Put guards back at all stations!!! more
- IBARKER on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Tell him to walk and if he does he might loose one of those "CHINS". more
- Atticus on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... He parked put the front so that porky would not have to walk too far.Disgrace. more
- James on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Why didn't 3AW give him a spot in the visitor car park if he is expected/a regular guest? more
- Bugs54 on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If you park your car on the nature strip the council will say it's their land and fine you,yet they want you to mow it and ... more
- Mr Gararth on Monash Council to fine you for not ... No wonder Rudd dropped Geoff Lake as the candidate for Hotham last year. Get out of our lives local government! more
- KANE on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Melbournians are going to be 'Taxed, Dutied, Priced, Tar riffed, Levied, Excised, Pork Barreled OUT OF EXISTANCE!!! more
- Geoff on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Easy solution to the problem. If the council don't want to look after their own land ie the nature strips, just give the ... more
- mylene on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If Darebin council tried this they'd make a billion dollars before the sun went down. more
- bc on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' get WADA to come in over the top and give the killer blow stuff the AFL and hird and doctor little more
- Rod on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' What's Paul Little talking about. They have only been in court for 3 days. If Essendon don't get some sort of penalty, Then ... more
- Mooroolbark Mick on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' "Swepped" indicates the level of intelligence we have in this debate. I give up! more
- Peter Flynn on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Yes we the footy public do want to know and if the Essendon Football Club and James Hird were not gagged maybe we would. And ... more
- Docklands on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Show Cause Notices Issued.Essendon shows bokk of what was given and on what dates and to who ?Notices withdrawn. What has ... more
- Arthur Hiliard on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' If these footy "sportsman" have nothing to hide they should be welcoming any investigation! Seems they're a bit shocked to ... more
- David on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' We haven't got deal fatigue. We want to see Essendon held to account. Let the charges be heard! The public wants to see ... more
Radio prank call nurse 'made two prior suicide attempts'
Jacinta Saldanha, the British-Indian nurse who was found dead in her lodgings after answering an Australian hoax phone call about the Duchess of Cambridge, had reportedly tried to kill herself twice before, and was suffering depression.
Ms Saldanha was the nurse on duty at London's King Edward VII Hospital who took a prank phone call from 2DayFM DJs Michael Christian and Mel Greig, pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles inquiring about the duchess, Kate Middleton, hospitalised with acute morning sickness.
Ms Saldanha did not reveal any information about the duchess's condition, but transferred the call to her room where another nurse did.
The Indian-born nurse was found in her living quarters three days later. Suicide notes, allegedly written by the 46-year-old, said she felt ashamed of her role in the call, blamed the DJs for her death, and criticised hospital staff.
On Sunday, London police said Christian and Greig could be charged with attempting to obtain medical details by deception, and that further charges could be brought against the radio station if it was found to have broadcast the prank without the permission of the participants. London's Metropolitan Police said detectives had sent a file to the Crown Prosecution Service.
On the same day, India's Deccan Herald newspaper reported that Ms Saldanha had been hospitalised after twice trying to commit suicide within the space of nine days, during a family holiday in India last December and January.
The first time she was taken to a private hospital in Mangalore after an overdose of pills. The second time she was taken to Father Muller Medical College Hospital in the same city with head injuries after apparently jumping from a building.
Deccan Herald said Ms Saldanha was diagnosed as suffering a ''depressive disorder''. She received psychiatric treatment in hospital and was prescribed anti-depressants.
Ms Saldanha's brother, Naveen Saldanha, confirmed his sister was hospitalised after a serious fall, but said that she never sought to discuss her health and life issues.
In Shirva, where Ms Saldanha was buried last week, family friends confirmed to Fairfax Media that she had been depressed.
''She had a history of depression, you can judge this from the pictures of her. Recent pictures show a different Jacintha,'' one family friend said.
For help or information call Suicide Helpline Victoria on 1300 651 251 or Lifeline on 131 114, or visit beyondblue.org.au
Nothing in this vindicates Christian and Grieg. Furthermore nothing vindicates the hospital management. The prank was not funny.
I have now listened to it many times, even prior to teh suicide. I didn't find it funny before or after. What I did find was extreme immaturity from two very amateurish radio comperes who are little more than wannabees. There later interviews were poor theater and insincere.
It is now clear that Ms Saldanha had health issues but the DJs and management only served to push her over the edge.
So Christian and Grieg whilst you may not have been the direct cause of the suicide, you have contributed to this suicide. This can be with your conscience until your respective graves.
I suggest you get out of the broadcast business and get thee to a monastry and nunnery respectively. Shame on you.Ivan@kinnane Wednesday 26 December, 2012 - 7:53 PM
this story will not rate a mention on 'the times of India' website!rob puljic Wednesday 26 December, 2012 - 4:53 PM
Poor radio DJ's I have been disgusted from
The start with how they are being blamed. I
Of course there was more to it.. The English
Have media have been terrible, just for stories
They created to much horrible hype. I hope
They DJ's feel a little bit better, knowing this
COULD NOT be there fault.Jen Tuesday 25 December, 2012 - 1:48 PM
This news was kept very quiet until now. Why was it not mentioned when the World was baying for the blood of the two radio presenters? It strikes me
that there is more to this story that we have not heard. For instance, why would she attempt suicide on holiday? Also the family did not appear to genuinely grieve. No tears evident, even from the 16 yo daughter which is not what one would expect.Barry Monday 24 December, 2012 - 10:24 PM
Knew there has to be other circumstances here, now I hope the bloody Pommy Press get off the DJs case.GIW Monday 24 December, 2012 - 5:04 PM
Can everyone now stop blaming the poor DJs. It was so obvious from the start that just forwarding a call is no reason to kill yourself and all the gullible people just attacked the DJs for nothing.
Are these same people going to blame all the other people who came across her for the previous attempts at suicide?
Are these DJs going to be able to live their lives now without fear? Hope so and also is the station still going to feel responsible and send this family half a million dollars?
We as humans haven't progressed since the dark ages. We are more than ready to pick up our torches and pitchforks and go on a witch hunt.Peggy Monday 24 December, 2012 - 3:52 PM