- Childcare system 'nonsense'
- Paul Dale, Rodney Collins excused from giving evidence
- Fog to cause Melbourne Airport delays
- Scissor bandit can't open cash till
- Government workers cashed in on cosy deals, IBAC hears
- 'Bring them home': Government calls for action
- Man killed in Burrumbuttock plane crash
- Police take unsual step in train assault case
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
- Marlene Gow on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' I wonder how Malthouse would've reacted if some other football identity spoke in that manner to his own daughter those few ... more
- kim on Victorian town's HIV scare Re the Dr Lester interview. It was said earlier in the morning - somewhere between 530 & 630 that the health professional ... more
- Faye on Young Aussies gored in bull run GO BULLS !! more
- Kevin on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' Good manners and decency cost nothing and go such a long way. Mick simply needs to be nice to people, it's not ... more
- Mark Ellison on Victorian town's HIV scare How does "coming into contact" with an HIV infected person, carry a risk? I presume the Health Professional isn't providing ... more
- Matt on Fans ripped-off by Tyson 'Meet & Greet' That is why I picked up the iron, him in the spa. more
- Amanda on Ice town: Victorian region's ... I know of a group of users in Neerim Sth. Folks should take a more loving stance on the unfortunate statement the journalist ... more
Radio prank call nurse 'made two prior suicide attempts'
Jacinta Saldanha, the British-Indian nurse who was found dead in her lodgings after answering an Australian hoax phone call about the Duchess of Cambridge, had reportedly tried to kill herself twice before, and was suffering depression.
Ms Saldanha was the nurse on duty at London's King Edward VII Hospital who took a prank phone call from 2DayFM DJs Michael Christian and Mel Greig, pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles inquiring about the duchess, Kate Middleton, hospitalised with acute morning sickness.
Ms Saldanha did not reveal any information about the duchess's condition, but transferred the call to her room where another nurse did.
The Indian-born nurse was found in her living quarters three days later. Suicide notes, allegedly written by the 46-year-old, said she felt ashamed of her role in the call, blamed the DJs for her death, and criticised hospital staff.
On Sunday, London police said Christian and Greig could be charged with attempting to obtain medical details by deception, and that further charges could be brought against the radio station if it was found to have broadcast the prank without the permission of the participants. London's Metropolitan Police said detectives had sent a file to the Crown Prosecution Service.
On the same day, India's Deccan Herald newspaper reported that Ms Saldanha had been hospitalised after twice trying to commit suicide within the space of nine days, during a family holiday in India last December and January.
The first time she was taken to a private hospital in Mangalore after an overdose of pills. The second time she was taken to Father Muller Medical College Hospital in the same city with head injuries after apparently jumping from a building.
Deccan Herald said Ms Saldanha was diagnosed as suffering a ''depressive disorder''. She received psychiatric treatment in hospital and was prescribed anti-depressants.
Ms Saldanha's brother, Naveen Saldanha, confirmed his sister was hospitalised after a serious fall, but said that she never sought to discuss her health and life issues.
In Shirva, where Ms Saldanha was buried last week, family friends confirmed to Fairfax Media that she had been depressed.
''She had a history of depression, you can judge this from the pictures of her. Recent pictures show a different Jacintha,'' one family friend said.
For help or information call Suicide Helpline Victoria on 1300 651 251 or Lifeline on 131 114, or visit beyondblue.org.au
Nothing in this vindicates Christian and Grieg. Furthermore nothing vindicates the hospital management. The prank was not funny.
I have now listened to it many times, even prior to teh suicide. I didn't find it funny before or after. What I did find was extreme immaturity from two very amateurish radio comperes who are little more than wannabees. There later interviews were poor theater and insincere.
It is now clear that Ms Saldanha had health issues but the DJs and management only served to push her over the edge.
So Christian and Grieg whilst you may not have been the direct cause of the suicide, you have contributed to this suicide. This can be with your conscience until your respective graves.
I suggest you get out of the broadcast business and get thee to a monastry and nunnery respectively. Shame on you.Ivan@kinnane Wednesday 26 December, 2012 - 7:53 PM
this story will not rate a mention on 'the times of India' website!rob puljic Wednesday 26 December, 2012 - 4:53 PM
Poor radio DJ's I have been disgusted from
The start with how they are being blamed. I
Of course there was more to it.. The English
Have media have been terrible, just for stories
They created to much horrible hype. I hope
They DJ's feel a little bit better, knowing this
COULD NOT be there fault.Jen Tuesday 25 December, 2012 - 1:48 PM
This news was kept very quiet until now. Why was it not mentioned when the World was baying for the blood of the two radio presenters? It strikes me
that there is more to this story that we have not heard. For instance, why would she attempt suicide on holiday? Also the family did not appear to genuinely grieve. No tears evident, even from the 16 yo daughter which is not what one would expect.Barry Monday 24 December, 2012 - 10:24 PM
Knew there has to be other circumstances here, now I hope the bloody Pommy Press get off the DJs case.GIW Monday 24 December, 2012 - 5:04 PM
Can everyone now stop blaming the poor DJs. It was so obvious from the start that just forwarding a call is no reason to kill yourself and all the gullible people just attacked the DJs for nothing.
Are these same people going to blame all the other people who came across her for the previous attempts at suicide?
Are these DJs going to be able to live their lives now without fear? Hope so and also is the station still going to feel responsible and send this family half a million dollars?
We as humans haven't progressed since the dark ages. We are more than ready to pick up our torches and pitchforks and go on a witch hunt.Peggy Monday 24 December, 2012 - 3:52 PM