- 'Better late than never': Archbishop
- Pair found guilty over Brunswick panel beaters defensive homicide
- Bag snatcher targets blind woman in Keysborough
- Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving with suspended licence
- Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' baby remark
- Vale Hackforth-Jones, mainstay of film and TV
- SMS sparked David Warner's Twitter tirade
- Police search for missing paraglider
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jenny on Bag snatcher targets blind woman in ... Welcome to the new Australia! We are on our way down under the lowest of the lowest. We are so full of ourselves and the ... more
- Trent on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... get over it ! they never called the baby ugly ! the nrl footy show is much better tv then our afl footy show !@ if this is ... more
- IAN on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... If I was the NRL Show I would tell the parents to have a good look at themselves and take a COLD shower. more
- JamesD on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... The Footy Show in Melbourne and Sydney is a disgrace. Newman for years has behaved so poorly with his humiliation of people ... more
- jgl Melb on Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving ... Despite any and all efforts to the contrary, an idiot,especially those of the arrogant genre,will never be educated. more
- Peggy on Bag snatcher targets blind woman in ... What a pity that the person witnessing this did not take note of the rego.What sort of a low life would do this? Cowards ... more
- Paddy on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... I can just hear the Judge seeking guidance from the Chief Judge how "ugly" might be determined and after much back and forth ... more
- Willow on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... Hang on here, believe it was a friend who sent this to the NRL Footy Sshow. Perhaps the family should be pointing their ire ... more
- Mal on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... That what happens when you put photo's on facebook, it a public forum and anybody who puts anything on it deserves the ... more
- Aria Judilla on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... Poor kid has no hope in life anyway - his parents watch the footy show. more
- Robert Rich on Cleveland's Charles Ramsey Songified God Bless You Man more
- linda on Is Celebrity Splash the worst ... This is poo TV at its best more
- steve on Tullamarine traffic chaos set to ... We need a train to go to the airport but city link gets looked after very well wake up victoria more
- Frank on Tullamarine traffic chaos set to ... TRUCKS GOING THROUGH TRAIN CROSSINGS WHILE THE BOOM GATES ARE DOWN TRUCKS ARE ALLWAYS IN RUSH.. PETROL TANKERS ROLLING OVER ... more
- wayne on Tullamarine traffic chaos set to ... To David 17 may - people have got the a right to make a comment dont call peoples comment stupid..I belive a normal Train ... more
- Mark on Tullamarine traffic chaos set to ... I wish all us truck drivers get some balls and just stop driving for a week and then you would see all these pathetic ... more
- Rory macneill on Tom Elliott jumps into the ring with ... It's bit like a man debating with a bearded woman. more
- Malcolm Deetlefs on Tom Elliott jumps into the ring with ... As an undersized youth and pushed around, my father took me to a boxing in South Africa. After ten years in the sport I grew ... more
- DavidR on Heartless Clayton thief steals from ... How does a thief know who he is stealing from??? more
- bc on Tom Elliott jumps into the ring with ... dennis got his pay rise should get mighty mick gatto in the ring with napthine with the support of all victorians and sit ... more
Red-light fine overturned due to amber timing mistake
RUMOUR FILE CONFIRMED: Vicroads has blamed a breakdown in communications for not changing a traffic signal setting at a major intersection at Melbourne Airport.
Motorist Gordon Bishop found the lights at the intersection of Terminal Drive and Centre Road stayed on amber less than 3-seconds even though the requirement for a 50km zone is 3.5 seconds.
Vicroads admits the speed limit was changed in November 2010 but they were not notified until February this year.
Question marks will now be over every red-light fine that was issued by that camera over the 15-month period while the timings were incorrect.
Neil Mitchell says the implications of the mistake could be vast.
“They will have to refund every red-light ticket over that 15-months, which could be 10,000 people, fines of $2.5 million. You could have people who lost their license because of this,”
"Another kicker to this, quite apart from the fact you've got this almighty stuff up, is that Vicroads discovered this in February... 8-months ago,"
"The second-highest earning redlight camera in the state and it requires a call to our Breakfast program, after a man has gone to court, for you to know" Neil Mitchell argued.
Up to 10,000 red-light fines worth at least $2.3 million may have been wrongly issued. Vicroads have blamed 'a breakdown in communications'.— 3AW Melbourne (@3AW693) September 21, 2012
VicRoads chief executive officer Gary Liddle has blamed a breakdown in communication as the reason for the mistake.
"We need to work through these, and make sure our processes are better. It's very dissappointing that this has happened" Mr Liddle told Neil Mitchell
Earlier this morning the motorist who raised the issue, Gordon Bishop, told Ross and John that he took the timing information to the judge who overturned the fine.
"I took (to Court) a letter that was written to me my by Signal services west, a branch of Vicroads, that they had made an error and the speed times had been altered,"
"And since I notified them they had incresed the yellow cycle time to 3.5 seconds" Mr Bishop told Ross and John.
Have you received a red-light fine at the intersection?
Let us know below.
My husband who does not go through red lights was given a fine for going through the red light at Springvale and Lower Dandenong Rd also so there maybe an issue, does anyone know if this is worth fighting this fine, 1.3 secs elapsed seems a bit quick to me?Paula Newman Tuesday 9 April, 2013 - 3:24 PM
I too have just moved to Victoria and just received my first fine in 20 years of driving. $352 and 3 points as wellDaran Murphy Monday 11 February, 2013 - 1:28 PM
I have recently moved to Victoria and just recieved a fine of $352 and 3 demerit points for running a red light at Springvale and Lower Dandenong Road. Have been driving responsibly for 25 years and never had this happen before. Shocked, was only about the third car from the front. Has anyone else had a problem with these lights? Really resent paying but is it worth the grief of fighting the system?Danielle Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 3:48 PM
Just recieved a fine for beating a red light at the intersection of somerville rd and Geelong Rd during peak our traffic. My elapsed time on red was recorded as 1.1sec. And its $352! Ive been driving for almost 15yrs never had this type of infringement. I just cant believe how 1.1sec can cost you $352? During peak hour too. Is this fine for real? Is it worth trying to contest it?Dandelo Friday 4 January, 2013 - 11:57 PM
This intersection has been out longer than this time frame. I received a ticket on this four years ago never having a red light offence in 30 tears. For years I've watched that light flashes on vehicles they needed to review this camera and all offences over a 5 year period.Julie Thursday 6 December, 2012 - 9:09 AM
I've been a responsive driver for the past 22 years until I was pulled over by a sheriff serving a warrant for citylink fines that was unpaid dated years ago for two thousand dollars.I was shocked and later checked finding it was their clerical mistake.
The fines was constitues of additional court, warrant and penalty fees. After a lenghtly enquiry I found out VICROAD was running on two mailing and accounting for billing and fines which I had billed for almost 2 years!!
I was then blamed for not checking my 'civic status' with civic compliance and how funny is that I am supposedly to monitoring which system they used??
I firsttook the matter to infringement court and was resuded on the ground of the'insufficient proof' despite the paperworks totaled 30pages. The second time I took to the court personally and had partially refunded me the amount.
I then went back to CIVIC COMPLIANCE to ask for refund after the court order at least 6 times and was refused on the ground I should have not paid the sheriff if innocent.
I've been on this issue for almost 1 year now and is reaching almost no ending which has effected myself greatly.
I've no respect for CIVIC COMPLIANCE for the awful treatment for most of us here are lawful citizens treated like cash cows.Luke Richardson Tuesday 27 November, 2012 - 2:39 AM