- Australian to face charges over Commonwealth Games village fight
- Drive-by shooting in Springvale South
- Carlton player Simon White charged by police
- Social media trails show ISIS link to Melbourne schools
- Ross and John in Glasgow: Heritage Day
- Robert Doyle: 'It's a mess, a gigantic error'
- Sex attacker assaults girl, 16
- Jim Schembri reviews: Hercules 3D, Mrs Browns Boys D'Movie and more
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Paul on On the road with Patty the poet cabbie Pat Mullaney now thats a good scots name??? more
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
Red-light fine overturned due to amber timing mistake
RUMOUR FILE CONFIRMED: Vicroads has blamed a breakdown in communications for not changing a traffic signal setting at a major intersection at Melbourne Airport.
Motorist Gordon Bishop found the lights at the intersection of Terminal Drive and Centre Road stayed on amber less than 3-seconds even though the requirement for a 50km zone is 3.5 seconds.
Vicroads admits the speed limit was changed in November 2010 but they were not notified until February this year.
Question marks will now be over every red-light fine that was issued by that camera over the 15-month period while the timings were incorrect.
Neil Mitchell says the implications of the mistake could be vast.
“They will have to refund every red-light ticket over that 15-months, which could be 10,000 people, fines of $2.5 million. You could have people who lost their license because of this,”
"Another kicker to this, quite apart from the fact you've got this almighty stuff up, is that Vicroads discovered this in February... 8-months ago,"
"The second-highest earning redlight camera in the state and it requires a call to our Breakfast program, after a man has gone to court, for you to know" Neil Mitchell argued.
Up to 10,000 red-light fines worth at least $2.3 million may have been wrongly issued. Vicroads have blamed 'a breakdown in communications'.— 3AW Melbourne (@3AW693) September 21, 2012
VicRoads chief executive officer Gary Liddle has blamed a breakdown in communication as the reason for the mistake.
"We need to work through these, and make sure our processes are better. It's very dissappointing that this has happened" Mr Liddle told Neil Mitchell
Earlier this morning the motorist who raised the issue, Gordon Bishop, told Ross and John that he took the timing information to the judge who overturned the fine.
"I took (to Court) a letter that was written to me my by Signal services west, a branch of Vicroads, that they had made an error and the speed times had been altered,"
"And since I notified them they had incresed the yellow cycle time to 3.5 seconds" Mr Bishop told Ross and John.
Have you received a red-light fine at the intersection?
Let us know below.
I just received one of these the other day. Driving for 45 years, the odd ticket for exceeding "just" the speed limit, and one for not wearing a seat belt, I basically have a clean slate. I am not nor have i been one to run lights.
The question now is how does one question a system that considers itself to be above questioning ?
Or is it just a matter of having to accept being an exploitable taxable commodity at every turn? whist hoons and drunks endanger lives as repeat offender and appear never to be held accountable.Sal Saturday 4 January, 2014 - 9:04 PM
My husband got fine for 1.3 sec red light and we did not think we went through the red light.Linda Saturday 30 November, 2013 - 8:57 PM
ust recieved a fine for beating a red light at the intersection of somerville rd and Geelong Rd . My elapsed time on red was recorded as 0.6sec. And its $352 and 3 points! On a saturday 16:40pm. Is this fine for real? Anyone else has this fine?Phuong Truong Tuesday 11 June, 2013 - 10:38 AM
My husband who does not go through red lights was given a fine for going through the red light at Springvale and Lower Dandenong Rd also so there maybe an issue, does anyone know if this is worth fighting this fine, 1.3 secs elapsed seems a bit quick to me?Paula Newman Tuesday 9 April, 2013 - 3:24 PM
I too have just moved to Victoria and just received my first fine in 20 years of driving. $352 and 3 points as wellDaran Murphy Monday 11 February, 2013 - 1:28 PM
I have recently moved to Victoria and just recieved a fine of $352 and 3 demerit points for running a red light at Springvale and Lower Dandenong Road. Have been driving responsibly for 25 years and never had this happen before. Shocked, was only about the third car from the front. Has anyone else had a problem with these lights? Really resent paying but is it worth the grief of fighting the system?Danielle Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 3:48 PM