- Gina Rinehart more powerful than PM: Forbes
- Jon Anderson rates the 'Four Kings': Duran, Hagler, Hearns & Leonard
- Mother's tears and pain over son's fatal accident
- Peter Slipper MP formally charged with fraud
- Charges could be laid over Swanston Street wall collapse: court told
- Operation Unification: Police across country target illegal firearms
- Elderly man fighting for life, police hunt truck driver
- Terror in London: UK soldier hacked to death in street
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Tim Whiteside on Essendon footballer in hospital after ... Hi Guys, I've been listening to the ABC for a lifetime but really had enough of Red Symonds who ,so self-obsessed ... more
- Rod Evans on One person trapped after army base tank ... Best wishes to the boys injured in the service of their country. more
- Who's Paying??? on Craig Thomson MP faces 19 extra charges I've never ever known of a court case to drag on for so many years. Are we the taxpayer paying his bills? more
- Jillian on Essendon footballer in hospital after ... Another stabbing in the community, but if this case is going to toughen up our legal finding's on stabbing cases then I ... more
- Jillian on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... If only dog's could talk! God bless the both of you. more
- mandy on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... Something good came out of something so bad. Amazing how that little dog survived. more
- Gerard on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill is yet again 'over the hill'.I take it he wants to make his job even easier than it ... more
- KNOW-ALL COPPER on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... ANOTHER CASE OF A GEN X COP, SUSS AT THAT, TALKING DOWN TO THE GENERATION BELOW HIM.NOTHING IS NEW HERE. THIS AGE GROUP X ... more
- Pj on Kevin Rudd changes stance on gay ... Rudd changed his mind? Like he did on the Spill leaving his mates high and dry? Note for us: Lets not give him an ... more
- Greg on Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving ... And this fool was in charge of young AFL players futures.What a role model,not more
- Greg on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... What a huge con the .05 system is.It tells people you can drink & drive but not over that limit.Why not have a zero limit ... more
- Sarah on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... As a current green P-plater with no desire to ever drive after having even one drink, this doesn't bother me at all... If it ... more
- mylene on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... The Nanny State lives!! more
- Jillian on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... How about having a number plate H for hoon or D for drink driver. Let these unstable driver's be known to the motorist on ... more
- robynne on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... I would say till 21,also they should have defencive driving classes at school! more
- stuart on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Why not increase P plate age by 1 year every second year and closely monitor accident results. Evidenced based rules/law ... more
- Joseph Richmond on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... So, why a big Deal? Ugly is still ugly, right? more
- Harry Brown on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... Question is was the baby Ugly or not?If it was then what's the fuss? more
- bushiepete on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... wow most nsw rugby players are ugly and have no necks i guess the babys the same ?? dident see it at least i will sleep ... more
- Jan on Is Celebrity Splash the worst ... I probably only watch a couple of hours of TV in a week now, programming is absolute garbage, I loathe every so called ... more
Ricky Ponting announces his retirement
RUMOUR CONFIRMED: Former Australian captain Ricky Ponting has announced his retirement from test cricket, with the Perth test to be his last.
The Perth test will be the 37 year old's 168th test, equalling Steve Waugh's Australian record.
A late rumour to the 3AW Breakfast rumour file, 'Punt on Ponting' correctly claimed his retirement would be announced today.
Ponting told the press conference that after scores of four, 16 and a duck so far this series against South Africa, now was the right time to step down.
"Over the last couple of weeks my level of performance hasn't been good enough," he said.
"My passion and love for the game hasn't changed one bit, right through the last 12 or 18 months when things probably haven't been as I'd liked them."
Ponting told a press conference he would continue to play with Tasmania and Hobart Hurricanes for the rest of the summer.
Ponting said the upcoming test held great importance, and he could leave the game with Australia beating South Africa in Perth to re-gain the #1 ranked team position.
"My immediate focus now...is what we're presented with tomorrow," he said.
"We're going into what I believe is almost like a Grand Final.
"I'm hungrier than ever and want this win probably more than any game that I've ever played in."
Ponting made his test debut in December 1995 against Sri Lanka in Perth, has scored more than 13,000 test runs and will retire with an average of 52.
Matt -proudly Un-Australian, how can you make a comment about either Aussie rules or cricket when you obviously know zero, nil, nought, nothing about either. You are the sort of dill that Aussie can do without and I feel so sorry for you as it appears that you are deaf, dumb, stupid and can't read or you would know who Ricky Ponting is.GIW Monday 3 December, 2012 - 2:52 PM
Sorry.....but Punters "Use By" date has been well over for a number of years..
Had he not retired i,m sure the selection panel would finally have dropped him.
We need to find an Amla or Duplessi very soon.david mark Sunday 2 December, 2012 - 11:40 PM
Timely retirement means wise decision, sportsmanâ??s decision. He was a respected among Australian cricket like Sachin Tendulkar in Indian cricket. Only a difference between the two is Ponting didnâ??t wait till his removalâ?¦ about Sachin better NO COMMENT.Rahul Sunday 2 December, 2012 - 4:27 AM
Thank's Ricky you always turned your back on those media knockers and came out on the pitch shining like a true champion. That's what Aussies loved about you!Jillian Friday 30 November, 2012 - 7:14 AM
Who cares about these sporting jerks?
They are (not) so important in life, oh I can hit a ball, big bloody deal!!Faye Friday 30 November, 2012 - 6:09 AM
PLS STAY FOR ASHES U THE REAL STUFF..g Thursday 29 November, 2012 - 11:34 PM