- Rumour as tweet: NSW Waratah's embarrassing post
- London: Two more suspects arrested following brutal beheading
- Elderly assault victim passes away
- Witness appeal following CBD hit-run
- Hazel Hawke passes away
- Gina Rinehart more powerful than PM: Forbes
- Jon Anderson rates the 'Four Kings': Duran, Hagler, Hearns & Leonard
- Mother's tears and pain over son's fatal accident
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mandy on Hazel Hawke passes away A strong and talented woman I admired her views. more
- Joybells on Hazel Hawke passes away Hazel Hawke was such a lady, well respected and loved & will be greatly missed.She truly was a gr8 Australian. more
- Anita Elkington on Hazel Hawke passes away A truly beautiful wonderful woman , so sad , more
- Matt - proudly Un-Australian on Gina Rinehart more powerful than PM: ... Get real, she doesn't even like her own children, what sort of woman is that??? Money over your own kids, that is evil. more
- Schtang on Gina Rinehart more powerful than PM: ... Gina Rinehart is only powerful due to her money - Julia Gillard is powerful due to her intelligence & integrity. more
- Tim Whiteside on Essendon footballer in hospital after ... Hi Guys, I've been listening to the ABC for a lifetime but really had enough of Red Symonds who ,so self-obsessed ... more
- Rod Evans on One person trapped after army base tank ... Best wishes to the boys injured in the service of their country. more
- Who's Paying??? on Craig Thomson MP faces 19 extra charges I've never ever known of a court case to drag on for so many years. Are we the taxpayer paying his bills? more
- Jillian on Essendon footballer in hospital after ... Another stabbing in the community, but if this case is going to toughen up our legal finding's on stabbing cases then I ... more
- Jillian on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... If only dog's could talk! God bless the both of you. more
- mandy on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... Something good came out of something so bad. Amazing how that little dog survived. more
- Gerard on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill is yet again 'over the hill'.I take it he wants to make his job even easier than it ... more
- KNOW-ALL COPPER on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... ANOTHER CASE OF A GEN X COP, SUSS AT THAT, TALKING DOWN TO THE GENERATION BELOW HIM.NOTHING IS NEW HERE. THIS AGE GROUP X ... more
- Pj on Kevin Rudd changes stance on gay ... Rudd changed his mind? Like he did on the Spill leaving his mates high and dry? Note for us: Lets not give him an ... more
- Greg on Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving ... And this fool was in charge of young AFL players futures.What a role model,not more
- Greg on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... What a huge con the .05 system is.It tells people you can drink & drive but not over that limit.Why not have a zero limit ... more
- Sarah on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... As a current green P-plater with no desire to ever drive after having even one drink, this doesn't bother me at all... If it ... more
- mylene on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... The Nanny State lives!! more
- Jillian on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... How about having a number plate H for hoon or D for drink driver. Let these unstable driver's be known to the motorist on ... more
- robynne on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... I would say till 21,also they should have defencive driving classes at school! more
Serial killer Peter Dupas loses appeal against murder conviction
NEWSROOM: Serial killer Peter Dupas has lost his appeal against his conviction for the 1997 murder of Mersina Halvagis.
The family of Mersina Halvagis say the slain woman can finally rest in peace after her killer lost an appeal against his conviction.
Peter Norris Dupas, 58, was jailed for life for the 1997 murder of Ms Halvagis near her grandmother's grave at Fawkner Cemetery in 2007, but was granted a retrial. A second jury again found him guilty in 2010.
He appealed against his conviction on several grounds, including that the evidence of some evidence should not have been allowed.
The appeal this morning was dismissed by the Court of Appeal.
Duaps is serving three life sentences for the murder of Ms Halvagis and two other women.
NICK MCCALLUM EDITORIAL:
Everytime I think of the Halvagis family I can’t help but get emotional.
They have suffered an unimaginable tragedy . Yet, time after time I have seen George Halvagis going into court here in Melbourne assisting other victims of crime with grace, dignity and compassion.
In fact helping others has become a way of life for him now.
George’s daughter 25-year-old Mersina was brutally murdered 15-years ago while visiting her Grandmother’s grave at Fawkner cemetery. She was stabbed in a frenzied attack.
Peter Dupas, a fair dinkum animal, serving life for two other murders and a suspect in others was found guilty of Mersina’s murder in 2007.
He appealed and won a retrial. He was found guilty again in 2010.
But today thankfully he lost another appeal.
The Halvagis family celebrated outside court as they deserved to. They believe justice has finally been served for Mersina.
I hope this is it for them. I hope Dupas take this no further and he rots in jail. Forgotten.
But we should always remember the Halvagis’s devotion and their story.
It took a long time but finally the good guys won they did their absolute best for Mersina.
And this Christmas I hope that brings them some comfort and joy.
PASCOE VALE: Victoria Police are searching for a believed to be involved in a sexual assault in Pascoe Vale in early November. The victim was grabbed on her lower body before she escaped to raise the alarm at a nearby property.
Poptart, I believe that scientists should use criminals like Peter Dupas as genuina pigs instead of rats for medical research and to extend Peter dupas life and misery and prison time indefinitely forever on earth. Now that's a fate much worse than death.William Walker Tuesday 25 December, 2012 - 4:08 PM
Most times are for good, but there are times for bad. It is bad to kill, but on rare occasions, the law should allow for it.David T. Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 5:58 PM
Isn't it absurd how one maniac can absolutely ruin so many lives over his selfish sick actions that murderer changed the Helvagis family's lives forever I hope he dies real soon.poptart Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 11:54 AM
Its taken 16 years for a result what a pack of spin doctors in this joke of a judicial system come on he should never of had the right for an appeal in the first place he's an evil monster not an animal.mandy Friday 21 December, 2012 - 5:36 PM
Let's hope,for the sake of the innocent victims in this case that the members of the legal fraternity,who,would say are acting on "their client's instructions" or what is commonly known as courtroom jousting(My ego is bigger than yours)will know put their respective briefs to bed,as it were.jgl Melb Friday 21 December, 2012 - 3:50 PM
Dupas is the reason capital punishment should be looked at. Why should my taxes be used to feed this animal. If our courts did their job initially, he wouldn't have been out on the streets and killing innocent women.Graham T Friday 21 December, 2012 - 1:48 PM