- Man arrested after home invasion
- Hird to play no part at Essendon in 2014
- Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations against Labor
- Queen photobombs Comm Games selfie
- One dead, four trapped after Great Ocean Road tourist bus crash
- Video: Bike smashes into car on Clarendon St
- Earthquake hits Greenvale, Epping, Lalor and Roxburgh Park
- Man killed in Wodonga bobcat accident
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
Serial killer Peter Dupas loses appeal against murder conviction
NEWSROOM: Serial killer Peter Dupas has lost his appeal against his conviction for the 1997 murder of Mersina Halvagis.
The family of Mersina Halvagis say the slain woman can finally rest in peace after her killer lost an appeal against his conviction.
Peter Norris Dupas, 58, was jailed for life for the 1997 murder of Ms Halvagis near her grandmother's grave at Fawkner Cemetery in 2007, but was granted a retrial. A second jury again found him guilty in 2010.
He appealed against his conviction on several grounds, including that the evidence of some evidence should not have been allowed.
The appeal this morning was dismissed by the Court of Appeal.
Duaps is serving three life sentences for the murder of Ms Halvagis and two other women.
NICK MCCALLUM EDITORIAL:
Everytime I think of the Halvagis family I can’t help but get emotional.
They have suffered an unimaginable tragedy . Yet, time after time I have seen George Halvagis going into court here in Melbourne assisting other victims of crime with grace, dignity and compassion.
In fact helping others has become a way of life for him now.
George’s daughter 25-year-old Mersina was brutally murdered 15-years ago while visiting her Grandmother’s grave at Fawkner cemetery. She was stabbed in a frenzied attack.
Peter Dupas, a fair dinkum animal, serving life for two other murders and a suspect in others was found guilty of Mersina’s murder in 2007.
He appealed and won a retrial. He was found guilty again in 2010.
But today thankfully he lost another appeal.
The Halvagis family celebrated outside court as they deserved to. They believe justice has finally been served for Mersina.
I hope this is it for them. I hope Dupas take this no further and he rots in jail. Forgotten.
But we should always remember the Halvagis’s devotion and their story.
It took a long time but finally the good guys won they did their absolute best for Mersina.
And this Christmas I hope that brings them some comfort and joy.
PASCOE VALE: Victoria Police are searching for a believed to be involved in a sexual assault in Pascoe Vale in early November. The victim was grabbed on her lower body before she escaped to raise the alarm at a nearby property.
Poptart, I believe that scientists should use criminals like Peter Dupas as genuina pigs instead of rats for medical research and to extend Peter dupas life and misery and prison time indefinitely forever on earth. Now that's a fate much worse than death.William Walker Tuesday 25 December, 2012 - 4:08 PM
Most times are for good, but there are times for bad. It is bad to kill, but on rare occasions, the law should allow for it.David T. Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 5:58 PM
Isn't it absurd how one maniac can absolutely ruin so many lives over his selfish sick actions that murderer changed the Helvagis family's lives forever I hope he dies real soon.poptart Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 11:54 AM
Its taken 16 years for a result what a pack of spin doctors in this joke of a judicial system come on he should never of had the right for an appeal in the first place he's an evil monster not an animal.mandy Friday 21 December, 2012 - 5:36 PM
Let's hope,for the sake of the innocent victims in this case that the members of the legal fraternity,who,would say are acting on "their client's instructions" or what is commonly known as courtroom jousting(My ego is bigger than yours)will know put their respective briefs to bed,as it were.jgl Melb Friday 21 December, 2012 - 3:50 PM
Dupas is the reason capital punishment should be looked at. Why should my taxes be used to feed this animal. If our courts did their job initially, he wouldn't have been out on the streets and killing innocent women.Graham T Friday 21 December, 2012 - 1:48 PM