- VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick Samantha
- 'He was a precocious talent'
- Phillip Hughes dead at 25
- 'Like winning the lotto': A win for heartbroken wife
- 'Parliament is not a pub'
- Woman hit, man flees on foot, Blackburn Rd closed
- Condition of sinkhole victim worsens
- 'Kids will give cricket away'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Geoff on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... With society up to its boots in politics and living in its own little world, this is what is really important. While we ... more
- Jennifer Williams on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... I think that puppy knows she is there for a very special reason. Four tissues later and I'm still going. Such a sad story, ... more
- LisaJ on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... Well done Neil and 3AW. Such a nice story after yesterdays news. more
- Helen on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... I'm sure Pixie will bring a lot of joy to Samantha, Ashley and the family at this difficult time for them all.Kind thoughts ... more
- andy on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... hope young pixie gives samantha a distaction from the other things going onthe 3 aw community has restored my faith in ... more
- carol on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... Driving while crying! kept looking across to see if I was not the only one, then a guy rang in and said he was doing exactly ... more
- paul on VIDEO: Pixie the pup surprises sick ... Hi Neil I've just watched the video of pixie being delivered. I have tears rolling you are a legend!!! Christmas WISHES to ... more
- Heather on Phillip Hughes dead at 25 May the clouds wrap him in a blanket of love and the moon kiss him goodnight! Rest in peace young man! Much love to his ... more
- Susan on Special pup for family's last Christmas As Marie said I hope the new pup brings JOY to the family maybe they should rename it Joy 0r Faith or Hope but Pixie's cute ... more
- Carol on Special pup for family's last Christmas Well Done Neil!!This family are well deserving of this money and puppy!! Had me in years all morning! Beautiful bittersweet ... more
- jgl Melb on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo A visit to the nearest Bunnings would've sorted this earth shattering problem.Then again the complainant wouldn't have ... more
- kes from central victoria on Special pup for family's last Christmas Wow, amazing. Just when you think nobody cares this happens....such sad circumstances when the bulldog pup,who is just ... more
- Debs on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo What a crock of shite. You mean to say to me this guy couldn't go to Bunnings/Masters and fork out a measly $30 for a new ... more
- Marie on Special pup for family's last Christmas I cannot believe how this family have managed over the years with 2 of their 3 children so very sick. Being a mum myself I ... more
- Cere on Special pup for family's last Christmas Most amazing and so sad well done to Neil and everyone. The puppy is so beautiful and I know she will give all her love ... more
- Roma Vaccaro on Special pup for family's last Christmas I hope this little angel in the form of a pup brings the family much love and laughter. What a horrible thing for any ... more
- Debbie on Special pup for family's last Christmas Awesome response to an amazing family So happy they have a lil pup, she will certainly be very loved more
- Donny Blake on Special pup for family's last Christmas What a gorgeous little pup and will definitely go to a great home, although I am an one eyed boxer girl. more
- Tarielle on Special pup for family's last Christmas This little girl is absolutely gorgeous. What a very special gift she is. I hope she brings Sam and Ashley much love and ... more
- Andrea Murphy on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Maybe Riley has to turn the other cheek! more
Serial killer Peter Dupas loses appeal against murder conviction
NEWSROOM: Serial killer Peter Dupas has lost his appeal against his conviction for the 1997 murder of Mersina Halvagis.
The family of Mersina Halvagis say the slain woman can finally rest in peace after her killer lost an appeal against his conviction.
Peter Norris Dupas, 58, was jailed for life for the 1997 murder of Ms Halvagis near her grandmother's grave at Fawkner Cemetery in 2007, but was granted a retrial. A second jury again found him guilty in 2010.
He appealed against his conviction on several grounds, including that the evidence of some evidence should not have been allowed.
The appeal this morning was dismissed by the Court of Appeal.
Duaps is serving three life sentences for the murder of Ms Halvagis and two other women.
NICK MCCALLUM EDITORIAL:
Everytime I think of the Halvagis family I can’t help but get emotional.
They have suffered an unimaginable tragedy . Yet, time after time I have seen George Halvagis going into court here in Melbourne assisting other victims of crime with grace, dignity and compassion.
In fact helping others has become a way of life for him now.
George’s daughter 25-year-old Mersina was brutally murdered 15-years ago while visiting her Grandmother’s grave at Fawkner cemetery. She was stabbed in a frenzied attack.
Peter Dupas, a fair dinkum animal, serving life for two other murders and a suspect in others was found guilty of Mersina’s murder in 2007.
He appealed and won a retrial. He was found guilty again in 2010.
But today thankfully he lost another appeal.
The Halvagis family celebrated outside court as they deserved to. They believe justice has finally been served for Mersina.
I hope this is it for them. I hope Dupas take this no further and he rots in jail. Forgotten.
But we should always remember the Halvagis’s devotion and their story.
It took a long time but finally the good guys won they did their absolute best for Mersina.
And this Christmas I hope that brings them some comfort and joy.
PASCOE VALE: Victoria Police are searching for a believed to be involved in a sexual assault in Pascoe Vale in early November. The victim was grabbed on her lower body before she escaped to raise the alarm at a nearby property.
Poptart, I believe that scientists should use criminals like Peter Dupas as genuina pigs instead of rats for medical research and to extend Peter dupas life and misery and prison time indefinitely forever on earth. Now that's a fate much worse than death.William Walker Tuesday 25 December, 2012 - 4:08 PM
Most times are for good, but there are times for bad. It is bad to kill, but on rare occasions, the law should allow for it.David T. Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 5:58 PM
Isn't it absurd how one maniac can absolutely ruin so many lives over his selfish sick actions that murderer changed the Helvagis family's lives forever I hope he dies real soon.poptart Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 11:54 AM
Its taken 16 years for a result what a pack of spin doctors in this joke of a judicial system come on he should never of had the right for an appeal in the first place he's an evil monster not an animal.mandy Friday 21 December, 2012 - 5:36 PM
Let's hope,for the sake of the innocent victims in this case that the members of the legal fraternity,who,would say are acting on "their client's instructions" or what is commonly known as courtroom jousting(My ego is bigger than yours)will know put their respective briefs to bed,as it were.jgl Melb Friday 21 December, 2012 - 3:50 PM
Dupas is the reason capital punishment should be looked at. Why should my taxes be used to feed this animal. If our courts did their job initially, he wouldn't have been out on the streets and killing innocent women.Graham T Friday 21 December, 2012 - 1:48 PM