- Carlton player Simon White charged by police
- Social media trails show ISIS link to Melbourne schools
- Ross and John in Glasgow: Heritage Day
- Robert Doyle: 'It's a mess, a gigantic error'
- Sex attacker assaults girl, 16
- Jim Schembri reviews: Hercules 3D, Mrs Browns Boys D'Movie and more
- 'Heads must roll, or the voters will roll you'
- On the road with Patty the poet cabbie
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Paul on On the road with Patty the poet cabbie Pat Mullaney now thats a good scots name??? more
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
Social media forced North to act
North Melbourne says it hasn't let Sudanese rookie Majak Daw down after suspending him, claiming "football's a tough game".
The 20-year-old's been sent down to train with Werribee indefinitely for lying to coach Brad Scott.
Daw was caught partying at a nightclub when he should have been home rehabilitating a knee injury.
He also owes a team-mate money and questions have been raised after he began a relationship with a team-mate's former girlfriend.
The club's under fire for not immediately detailing the reasons for his supension but Eugene Arocca says they'll wear it.
Arocca also said he has never seen rumours as vitriolic than the ones he saw posted on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook on Wednesday, which he says forced the club to come clean on why Daw was suspended.
PLAY: Eugene Arocca speaks to Neil Mitchell about Majak Daw
UPDATE: North Melbourne coach Brad Scott denies there is anything majorly sinister behind the indefinite suspension of Majak Daw and has revealed on 3AW the player lying to the coach is why the 20-year-old was banned.
VIDEO: Majak Daw talks about racism with Neil Mitchell in 2011
VIDEO: Matthew Lloyd discusses who he thinks will make the top 8 in 2012 and also discusses the leadership, or lack thereof, at certain clubs with the new season just around the corner. Click on the image of Lloyd for more, including an interview with James Hird.
North Melbourne CEO Eugene Arocca is a racist for describing Majak as:
"This is a chap who was in Egypt for three years with his family as a 12-year-old. I think lying might have been a part of the way they had to survive. I think you've got to take that into account."
Recently much as been done to stamp out racism based on simplistic generalisations that convey a sense of inferiority in the victim and false superiority of the inadvertant racist - in this case, Eugene Arocca.
Telling the truth is just as important a value to poor families as it is rich families. Should all refugees from war torn countries now labelled more likely to be liars? Should all indigenous players from remote communities with rampant poverty and social problems be considered more likely to lie?
The corollary is that people only need lie about things involving breaking social justice mores involving rules and laws.
It is grossly irresponsible for an AFL CEO to characterise anybody overcoming hardship and poverty requiring a skillset of a liar.
Neil please follow this up as the cliche of poor people struggling against violence or oppression being more likely to be liars stinks!Mike Friday 10 February, 2012 - 8:53 AM
What's all the fuss over this bloke? he is lucky they didn't sack him,hard to trust him now>!Steve Thursday 9 February, 2012 - 2:51 PM
Phillip, my point exactly!Pam B Thursday 9 February, 2012 - 12:24 PM
To PamB: Facebook doesn't defame peoples personalities, people defame peoples personalities!Phillip Molly Malone Thursday 9 February, 2012 - 12:03 PM
This Facebook is absolute rubbish. It causes so much trouble, and will only get worse. People need to get a life!Pam B Thursday 9 February, 2012 - 11:05 AM
Verbal gymnastics.One wonders where it's taught,maybe at law school,maybe at Collingwould,with Eddie as head tutor,whatever,Eug' certainly excells.As for the editor of the leading newspaper,as mentioned,he certainly played Eug'on a break by getting him to come clean.jgl Melb Thursday 9 February, 2012 - 10:48 AM