- Tornado rips through Oklahoma City
- Senior cop calls for young drivers to stay on P-Plate up to age of 25
- Kevin Rudd changes stance on gay marriage
- Man deliberately struck in shocking hit-run
- 'Better late than never': Archbishop
- Pair found guilty over Brunswick panel beaters defensive homicide
- Bag snatcher targets blind woman in Keysborough
- Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving with suspended licence
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Greg on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... What a huge con the .05 system is.It tells people you can drink & drive but not over that limit.Why not have a zero limit ... more
- Sarah on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... As a current green P-plater with no desire to ever drive after having even one drink, this doesn't bother me at all... If it ... more
- mylene on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... The Nanny State lives!! more
- Jillian on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... How about having a number plate H for hoon or D for drink driver. Let these unstable driver's be known to the motorist on ... more
- robynne on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... I would say till 21,also they should have defencive driving classes at school! more
- stuart on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Why not increase P plate age by 1 year every second year and closely monitor accident results. Evidenced based rules/law ... more
- Jenny on Bag snatcher targets blind woman in ... Welcome to the new Australia! We are on our way down under the lowest of the lowest. We are so full of ourselves and the ... more
- Trent on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... get over it ! they never called the baby ugly ! the nrl footy show is much better tv then our afl footy show !@ if this is ... more
- IAN on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... If I was the NRL Show I would tell the parents to have a good look at themselves and take a COLD shower. more
- JamesD on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... The Footy Show in Melbourne and Sydney is a disgrace. Newman for years has behaved so poorly with his humiliation of people ... more
- jgl Melb on Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving ... Despite any and all efforts to the contrary, an idiot,especially those of the arrogant genre,will never be educated. more
- Peggy on Bag snatcher targets blind woman in ... What a pity that the person witnessing this did not take note of the rego.What sort of a low life would do this? Cowards ... more
- Paddy on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... I can just hear the Judge seeking guidance from the Chief Judge how "ugly" might be determined and after much back and forth ... more
- Willow on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... Hang on here, believe it was a friend who sent this to the NRL Footy Sshow. Perhaps the family should be pointing their ire ... more
- Mal on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... That what happens when you put photo's on facebook, it a public forum and anybody who puts anything on it deserves the ... more
- Aria Judilla on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... Poor kid has no hope in life anyway - his parents watch the footy show. more
- Robert Rich on Cleveland's Charles Ramsey Songified God Bless You Man more
- linda on Is Celebrity Splash the worst ... This is poo TV at its best more
- steve on Tullamarine traffic chaos set to ... We need a train to go to the airport but city link gets looked after very well wake up victoria more
- Frank on Tullamarine traffic chaos set to ... TRUCKS GOING THROUGH TRAIN CROSSINGS WHILE THE BOOM GATES ARE DOWN TRUCKS ARE ALLWAYS IN RUSH.. PETROL TANKERS ROLLING OVER ... more
Social media forced North to act
North Melbourne says it hasn't let Sudanese rookie Majak Daw down after suspending him, claiming "football's a tough game".
The 20-year-old's been sent down to train with Werribee indefinitely for lying to coach Brad Scott.
Daw was caught partying at a nightclub when he should have been home rehabilitating a knee injury.
He also owes a team-mate money and questions have been raised after he began a relationship with a team-mate's former girlfriend.
The club's under fire for not immediately detailing the reasons for his supension but Eugene Arocca says they'll wear it.
Arocca also said he has never seen rumours as vitriolic than the ones he saw posted on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook on Wednesday, which he says forced the club to come clean on why Daw was suspended.
PLAY: Eugene Arocca speaks to Neil Mitchell about Majak Daw
UPDATE: North Melbourne coach Brad Scott denies there is anything majorly sinister behind the indefinite suspension of Majak Daw and has revealed on 3AW the player lying to the coach is why the 20-year-old was banned.
VIDEO: Majak Daw talks about racism with Neil Mitchell in 2011
VIDEO: Matthew Lloyd discusses who he thinks will make the top 8 in 2012 and also discusses the leadership, or lack thereof, at certain clubs with the new season just around the corner. Click on the image of Lloyd for more, including an interview with James Hird.
North Melbourne CEO Eugene Arocca is a racist for describing Majak as:
"This is a chap who was in Egypt for three years with his family as a 12-year-old. I think lying might have been a part of the way they had to survive. I think you've got to take that into account."
Recently much as been done to stamp out racism based on simplistic generalisations that convey a sense of inferiority in the victim and false superiority of the inadvertant racist - in this case, Eugene Arocca.
Telling the truth is just as important a value to poor families as it is rich families. Should all refugees from war torn countries now labelled more likely to be liars? Should all indigenous players from remote communities with rampant poverty and social problems be considered more likely to lie?
The corollary is that people only need lie about things involving breaking social justice mores involving rules and laws.
It is grossly irresponsible for an AFL CEO to characterise anybody overcoming hardship and poverty requiring a skillset of a liar.
Neil please follow this up as the cliche of poor people struggling against violence or oppression being more likely to be liars stinks!Mike Friday 10 February, 2012 - 8:53 AM
What's all the fuss over this bloke? he is lucky they didn't sack him,hard to trust him now>!Steve Thursday 9 February, 2012 - 2:51 PM
Phillip, my point exactly!Pam B Thursday 9 February, 2012 - 12:24 PM
To PamB: Facebook doesn't defame peoples personalities, people defame peoples personalities!Phillip Molly Malone Thursday 9 February, 2012 - 12:03 PM
This Facebook is absolute rubbish. It causes so much trouble, and will only get worse. People need to get a life!Pam B Thursday 9 February, 2012 - 11:05 AM
Verbal gymnastics.One wonders where it's taught,maybe at law school,maybe at Collingwould,with Eddie as head tutor,whatever,Eug' certainly excells.As for the editor of the leading newspaper,as mentioned,he certainly played Eug'on a break by getting him to come clean.jgl Melb Thursday 9 February, 2012 - 10:48 AM