- Bombers battered in court
- Terror raids: Sydney man charged over terrorism plot
- Attempted tobacco smuggling ring busted in Port Melbourne
- RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard thief checking in for 'other matters' at police station
- McCartney responds to rift rumours
- Carlton tram creep touching women passengers
- Teen attacked along Dandenong Creek
- 'It's not OK': Pollie's anger over 'pornographic' graffiti
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Willow on Bombers battered in court About time, justice at last. A lesson to players for the future, do not take part in experiments just because your Club and ... more
- Aria Judillaa on Bombers battered in court Sorry Hird, but when people start challenging the validity of an investigation it's pretty obvious they have something to ... more
- Iain on Bombers battered in court I wonder if Essendon get it know..Justice Middleton is well respected and agrees they have a case to answer. Essendon: take ... more
- Stephen on Bombers battered in court Time to move on and draw a line under this by all sides. The evidence is not there or this would have been put to bed by ... more
- IBARKER on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... Great result for the Person that had his Boards Stolen. more
- RFor on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... LOVE IT !!!Like the other one a few weeks ago- Pollys Questn. Suspect, he says no not me, shows his brothers I.D. - Pollys ... more
- Jodie O'Donovan on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... Sounds like the bloke who robbed my house while I was across the road at work, watching him. My husband ran to the house to ... more
- David T. on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... This is one thief who is totally unsuited to his chosen career. more
- jgl Melb on Australian troops land in Middle East ... So the SAS are over there to "train" the locals...First;Didn't they get enough training when we and the Yanks were there the ... more
- Gloria on Body of toddler found in creek OMG, please all parents watch after your children, especially when near danger water. more
- Time for the TRUTH on Did we miss the train? The next train to the airport leaves Southern Cross Station in 2030, please mind 'the gap"!! more
- Michelle on Did we miss the train? I'm a liberal voter and think this advertising is just a waste of money and VERY unhelpful not to mention confusing for ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? Why not move the airport to Fisherman's Bend and a new suburb to Tullarmarine? The terminal could become a shopping centre ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? From plane to train in just 25 minutes? Just another example of the deceptive and misleading conduct this State Government ... more
- Ian Montgomery on Did we miss the train? I wonder if the 901 bus from the Airport to Broadmeadows station takes 25 minutes? Then the sign would be accurate though ... more
- Grant on Did we miss the train? As Victoria has pre-established election dates, wouldn't it be simple to just have moratorium on government related ... more
- mark on Did we miss the train? neil,you say the gov is spending millions on self promotion,but does 3aw take any of their money? more
- Cherie on Did we miss the train? It's nice to live in the worlds move livable city but if the government doesn't do something about employment, we wont be ... more
- poppitt on Labor trumps government's Geelong ... Where is he getting the money? Public Transport, all Schools, Ambulance workers (who deserve to be paid the best!) now ... more
- Chris on Man shot in hand, no suspects Reckon he might have just been letting of steam following the mighty Heidelberg footy clubs Grand Final win. more
State government unveils parolee crackdown legislation
Elsa Corp, murdered by a parolee in 2010. (Photo: Supplied)
1PM UPDATE: The Baillieu Government has unveiled sweeping changes to Victoria's parole system - which will see sex offenders and serious violent offenders sent back to jail.
The changes were spearheaded by the Corp family whose daughter Elsa was murdered by a parolee in 2010.
Under the changes, sex offenders and serious violent offenders convicted of a sex or violent offence while on parole will automatically have their parole cancelled.
Corrections Minister Andrew McIntosh said the changes are consistent with community expectations. He denied the tightening of the law will put extra pressure on jails.
EARLIER: 3AW Breakfast expects the state government will today announce legislation set to crack down on offenders who commit crimes while on parole, with new laws requiring them to be sent straight back to jail.
The morning the Rumour File heard the Baillieu government is set to announce the new laws as early as today, with a family of a murder victim confirming he has been summoned to meet Minister for Corrections and Crime Prevention Andrew McIntosh this morning.
Andy Corp, father of Elsa Corp who was murdered by a parolee in 2010, told Ross and John while the prospect of the announcement was great news, he remained cynical.
"We put to the government in November four major points which are half (an) A4 page regarding parolees who commit serious crimes while on parole,” he said.
”In our case, our daughter was murdered by a parolee who was arrested three times on parole, his parole wasn't revoked, he was also on bail, he had a ten-year history of very poor performance, judges had said that he had very low chances of rehab.”
A spokesperson for Andrew McIntosh would neither confirm nor deny the rumour, but said that the government had been talking about this happening for a couple of weeks.
LISTEN: Andy Corp speaks with Ross and John:
As a parolee who was framed by callous uncaring murderers,and who has served forty years for a crime I have not committed, I am sick to death of innocence abused. Murder is murder. Stop worrying about the over crowding of prisons. Lock `em up and leave `em. Do the crime do the time!Parolee Thursday 18 April, 2013 - 3:28 AM
Not wrong Mylene. Pity the Brumby Government didn't take note!!jason Monday 11 February, 2013 - 3:48 PM
Don't let these horrid people out of jail, ever!! Beautiful people are losing their lives in horrific circumstances, and it's hell for the victim and surviving victims of homicide.Sonia Monday 11 February, 2013 - 1:43 PM
Is time, that authority had act on this absurd lack of respect for life of women's.
My hope is that others state will follow the example and that the Juridical arm of the law will be implement with seriousness.Luigi Rosolin Monday 11 February, 2013 - 1:06 PM
The parole board quietly set free a convicted child killer into the community last week he served 16 out of his 19 yr sentence thanks for that parole board.mandy Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 8:29 AM
Wow. So of you break your parole for committing a similar crime to the one that put you into jail the first time you go back to jail. What an original concept :pmylene Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 11:17 PM