- Hird, Essendon have their days in court
- Police hunt man after lift assault
- Teens injured in Western Ring Road drag racing flip
- James Hird nominates Patrick Smith
- I found the experience so deeply unsettling
- 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives'
- $400k fire at iconic St Kilda restaurant
- $350k gone in brazen copper heist
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Going after Greens voters.. Their evil twin the Greens won't be to impressed with that more
- Ross on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' "Process", "Process", "Process". Davis is a broken record. I'm a Paramedic, and if I had a dollar for every time he's called ... more
- Gloria on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Danny Boy Andrews, how to win friends and influence people, bring in a drug law that can be rorted by druggies and ... more
- Peggy on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' What a situation we are going to be in at the next election. If we want to do the right thing and have this approved and ... more
- Samantha Mclean on Shoeless creep attacks in Fitzroy North Put guards back at all stations!!! more
- IBARKER on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Tell him to walk and if he does he might loose one of those "CHINS". more
- Atticus on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... He parked put the front so that porky would not have to walk too far.Disgrace. more
- James on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Why didn't 3AW give him a spot in the visitor car park if he is expected/a regular guest? more
- Bugs54 on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If you park your car on the nature strip the council will say it's their land and fine you,yet they want you to mow it and ... more
- Mr Gararth on Monash Council to fine you for not ... No wonder Rudd dropped Geoff Lake as the candidate for Hotham last year. Get out of our lives local government! more
- KANE on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Melbournians are going to be 'Taxed, Dutied, Priced, Tar riffed, Levied, Excised, Pork Barreled OUT OF EXISTANCE!!! more
- Geoff on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Easy solution to the problem. If the council don't want to look after their own land ie the nature strips, just give the ... more
- mylene on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If Darebin council tried this they'd make a billion dollars before the sun went down. more
- bc on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' get WADA to come in over the top and give the killer blow stuff the AFL and hird and doctor little more
- Rod on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' What's Paul Little talking about. They have only been in court for 3 days. If Essendon don't get some sort of penalty, Then ... more
- Mooroolbark Mick on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' "Swepped" indicates the level of intelligence we have in this debate. I give up! more
- Peter Flynn on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Yes we the footy public do want to know and if the Essendon Football Club and James Hird were not gagged maybe we would. And ... more
- Docklands on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Show Cause Notices Issued.Essendon shows bokk of what was given and on what dates and to who ?Notices withdrawn. What has ... more
- Arthur Hiliard on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' If these footy "sportsman" have nothing to hide they should be welcoming any investigation! Seems they're a bit shocked to ... more
- David on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' We haven't got deal fatigue. We want to see Essendon held to account. Let the charges be heard! The public wants to see ... more
State government unveils parolee crackdown legislation
Elsa Corp, murdered by a parolee in 2010. (Photo: Supplied)
1PM UPDATE: The Baillieu Government has unveiled sweeping changes to Victoria's parole system - which will see sex offenders and serious violent offenders sent back to jail.
The changes were spearheaded by the Corp family whose daughter Elsa was murdered by a parolee in 2010.
Under the changes, sex offenders and serious violent offenders convicted of a sex or violent offence while on parole will automatically have their parole cancelled.
Corrections Minister Andrew McIntosh said the changes are consistent with community expectations. He denied the tightening of the law will put extra pressure on jails.
EARLIER: 3AW Breakfast expects the state government will today announce legislation set to crack down on offenders who commit crimes while on parole, with new laws requiring them to be sent straight back to jail.
The morning the Rumour File heard the Baillieu government is set to announce the new laws as early as today, with a family of a murder victim confirming he has been summoned to meet Minister for Corrections and Crime Prevention Andrew McIntosh this morning.
Andy Corp, father of Elsa Corp who was murdered by a parolee in 2010, told Ross and John while the prospect of the announcement was great news, he remained cynical.
"We put to the government in November four major points which are half (an) A4 page regarding parolees who commit serious crimes while on parole,” he said.
”In our case, our daughter was murdered by a parolee who was arrested three times on parole, his parole wasn't revoked, he was also on bail, he had a ten-year history of very poor performance, judges had said that he had very low chances of rehab.”
A spokesperson for Andrew McIntosh would neither confirm nor deny the rumour, but said that the government had been talking about this happening for a couple of weeks.
LISTEN: Andy Corp speaks with Ross and John:
As a parolee who was framed by callous uncaring murderers,and who has served forty years for a crime I have not committed, I am sick to death of innocence abused. Murder is murder. Stop worrying about the over crowding of prisons. Lock `em up and leave `em. Do the crime do the time!Parolee Thursday 18 April, 2013 - 3:28 AM
Not wrong Mylene. Pity the Brumby Government didn't take note!!jason Monday 11 February, 2013 - 3:48 PM
Don't let these horrid people out of jail, ever!! Beautiful people are losing their lives in horrific circumstances, and it's hell for the victim and surviving victims of homicide.Sonia Monday 11 February, 2013 - 1:43 PM
Is time, that authority had act on this absurd lack of respect for life of women's.
My hope is that others state will follow the example and that the Juridical arm of the law will be implement with seriousness.Luigi Rosolin Monday 11 February, 2013 - 1:06 PM
The parole board quietly set free a convicted child killer into the community last week he served 16 out of his 19 yr sentence thanks for that parole board.mandy Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 8:29 AM
Wow. So of you break your parole for committing a similar crime to the one that put you into jail the first time you go back to jail. What an original concept :pmylene Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 11:17 PM