- Second Test: Australia v India
- North East fires: Four homes lost
- Bus driver headbutted in ugly attack
- Siege gunman had a gun licence
- Guy announces new shadow cabinet
- 'A cowardly way of getting back'
- $6m drug ring smashed in suburban raids
- Possible bomb threat in Canberra
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Lukew on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Certain amount of boot in mouth there Colin more
- Craig on Bus driver headbutted in ugly attack What happened to the Barriers to protect drivers that where going to be put in the bus's back in February!!???? more
- PJ on North East fires: Four homes lost And whats Andrews doing? Still showing how brave he is walking up and down Burke Street? more
- Auguste Rodin on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Listen Colin, you don't know Mitchell either, he zoomed back from wherever like a robber's dog! I would have bet a lot of ... more
- Auguste Rodin on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Very sad the whole affair. I wonder why it was necessary to fire so many rounds during the final stages, they only had one ... more
- Benny on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege I have actually Colin, and I've seen him on seven news too. I also know that Neil Mitchell is a very well respected ... more
- Jim on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege To our beautiful fellow Australians we have lost in very tragic circumstances , our hearts are with you ... To our brothers ... more
- acetrim on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege the people to blame are ones who let this lunatic into the country when we complained you called us all racist the had the ... more
- Ekrem Fuldagli on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Dear Community and friends, As Chairman of our association I would like to offer our heartfelt condolences to the family and ... more
- Mckenna_pj@hotmail.com on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Nick McCallum should be the holiday relief for Jon Faine not Neil Mitchell lol more
- Colin Lacivita on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege You were right Benny Neil Mitchell is back! But I was not wrong to say Nick McCallum is doing a fantastic job replacing ... more
- Caz on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege OMG.I had to go into media lock down yesterday.The ammount of times they showed the woman running towards the police in ... more
- Mandy on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege I am again dissapointed in finding out this thing was out on bail he was and is a severe threat to Aust and now all this ... more
- Jane on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege We all knew Neil would be in tomorrow! Don't know why as Nick is perfectly able to cover this tragic story..it makes him ... more
- Gloria on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Well Benny you were right, we all know that Neil loves to cover the big stories. The judiciary has a lot to answer to as why ... more
- Jane on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege The judiciary has a lot to answer for in allowing him bail for his alleged crimes and so does our laws in not allowing ... more
- Sinbad on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Would you like cream or ice-cream with your humble pie Colin? more
- Jane on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Two hostages dead. So very tragic and heartbreaking. One vermin exterminated. more
- Colin Lacivita on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Listen Benny you know nothing about Neil Mitchell he is overseas on his Christmas holiday break.Nick McCallum is doing a ... more
- Tex Morton on Is this the promise Victorians want ... It was always the vocal minority's that didn't want it. Who really wants gridlock. You can't end a 6 lane freeway at a set ... more
State government unveils parolee crackdown legislation
Elsa Corp, murdered by a parolee in 2010. (Photo: Supplied)
1PM UPDATE: The Baillieu Government has unveiled sweeping changes to Victoria's parole system - which will see sex offenders and serious violent offenders sent back to jail.
The changes were spearheaded by the Corp family whose daughter Elsa was murdered by a parolee in 2010.
Under the changes, sex offenders and serious violent offenders convicted of a sex or violent offence while on parole will automatically have their parole cancelled.
Corrections Minister Andrew McIntosh said the changes are consistent with community expectations. He denied the tightening of the law will put extra pressure on jails.
EARLIER: 3AW Breakfast expects the state government will today announce legislation set to crack down on offenders who commit crimes while on parole, with new laws requiring them to be sent straight back to jail.
The morning the Rumour File heard the Baillieu government is set to announce the new laws as early as today, with a family of a murder victim confirming he has been summoned to meet Minister for Corrections and Crime Prevention Andrew McIntosh this morning.
Andy Corp, father of Elsa Corp who was murdered by a parolee in 2010, told Ross and John while the prospect of the announcement was great news, he remained cynical.
"We put to the government in November four major points which are half (an) A4 page regarding parolees who commit serious crimes while on parole,” he said.
”In our case, our daughter was murdered by a parolee who was arrested three times on parole, his parole wasn't revoked, he was also on bail, he had a ten-year history of very poor performance, judges had said that he had very low chances of rehab.”
A spokesperson for Andrew McIntosh would neither confirm nor deny the rumour, but said that the government had been talking about this happening for a couple of weeks.
LISTEN: Andy Corp speaks with Ross and John:
As a parolee who was framed by callous uncaring murderers,and who has served forty years for a crime I have not committed, I am sick to death of innocence abused. Murder is murder. Stop worrying about the over crowding of prisons. Lock `em up and leave `em. Do the crime do the time!Parolee Thursday 18 April, 2013 - 3:28 AM
Not wrong Mylene. Pity the Brumby Government didn't take note!!jason Monday 11 February, 2013 - 3:48 PM
Don't let these horrid people out of jail, ever!! Beautiful people are losing their lives in horrific circumstances, and it's hell for the victim and surviving victims of homicide.Sonia Monday 11 February, 2013 - 1:43 PM
Is time, that authority had act on this absurd lack of respect for life of women's.
My hope is that others state will follow the example and that the Juridical arm of the law will be implement with seriousness.Luigi Rosolin Monday 11 February, 2013 - 1:06 PM
The parole board quietly set free a convicted child killer into the community last week he served 16 out of his 19 yr sentence thanks for that parole board.mandy Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 8:29 AM
Wow. So of you break your parole for committing a similar crime to the one that put you into jail the first time you go back to jail. What an original concept :pmylene Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 11:17 PM