- Rumour File: AFL faces legal fight with union and Record reporters
- Aussie MH17 investigators in the line of fire
- Breakfast in Glasgow: Ross and John's day of food
- Abbott softens talk on Russia
- Australian to face charges over Commonwealth Games village fight
- Drive-by shooting in Springvale South
- Carlton player Simon White charged by police
- Social media trails show ISIS link to Melbourne schools
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Paul on On the road with Patty the poet cabbie Pat Mullaney now thats a good scots name??? more
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
State government unveils parolee crackdown legislation
Elsa Corp, murdered by a parolee in 2010. (Photo: Supplied)
1PM UPDATE: The Baillieu Government has unveiled sweeping changes to Victoria's parole system - which will see sex offenders and serious violent offenders sent back to jail.
The changes were spearheaded by the Corp family whose daughter Elsa was murdered by a parolee in 2010.
Under the changes, sex offenders and serious violent offenders convicted of a sex or violent offence while on parole will automatically have their parole cancelled.
Corrections Minister Andrew McIntosh said the changes are consistent with community expectations. He denied the tightening of the law will put extra pressure on jails.
EARLIER: 3AW Breakfast expects the state government will today announce legislation set to crack down on offenders who commit crimes while on parole, with new laws requiring them to be sent straight back to jail.
The morning the Rumour File heard the Baillieu government is set to announce the new laws as early as today, with a family of a murder victim confirming he has been summoned to meet Minister for Corrections and Crime Prevention Andrew McIntosh this morning.
Andy Corp, father of Elsa Corp who was murdered by a parolee in 2010, told Ross and John while the prospect of the announcement was great news, he remained cynical.
"We put to the government in November four major points which are half (an) A4 page regarding parolees who commit serious crimes while on parole,” he said.
”In our case, our daughter was murdered by a parolee who was arrested three times on parole, his parole wasn't revoked, he was also on bail, he had a ten-year history of very poor performance, judges had said that he had very low chances of rehab.”
A spokesperson for Andrew McIntosh would neither confirm nor deny the rumour, but said that the government had been talking about this happening for a couple of weeks.
LISTEN: Andy Corp speaks with Ross and John:
As a parolee who was framed by callous uncaring murderers,and who has served forty years for a crime I have not committed, I am sick to death of innocence abused. Murder is murder. Stop worrying about the over crowding of prisons. Lock `em up and leave `em. Do the crime do the time!Parolee Thursday 18 April, 2013 - 3:28 AM
Not wrong Mylene. Pity the Brumby Government didn't take note!!jason Monday 11 February, 2013 - 3:48 PM
Don't let these horrid people out of jail, ever!! Beautiful people are losing their lives in horrific circumstances, and it's hell for the victim and surviving victims of homicide.Sonia Monday 11 February, 2013 - 1:43 PM
Is time, that authority had act on this absurd lack of respect for life of women's.
My hope is that others state will follow the example and that the Juridical arm of the law will be implement with seriousness.Luigi Rosolin Monday 11 February, 2013 - 1:06 PM
The parole board quietly set free a convicted child killer into the community last week he served 16 out of his 19 yr sentence thanks for that parole board.mandy Wednesday 6 February, 2013 - 8:29 AM
Wow. So of you break your parole for committing a similar crime to the one that put you into jail the first time you go back to jail. What an original concept :pmylene Tuesday 5 February, 2013 - 11:17 PM