- Elderly woman killed at Reservoir
- Neil's Pics: Radio selfies
- Gang attack over baseball cap
- I never injected anyone: Demetriou
- Demetriou steps aside
- Tottenham soccer player di(v)es
- Laverton home goes up in flames
- William and Kate avoid Melbourne on royal tour
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Garry on Kew coup: Napthine's headache The extreme right of the Liberal Party strikes again, a good competent member now in trouble, Smith is probably one of Tom's ... more
- l ross on Demetriou steps aside Best News IN years more
- Brendan on Demetriou steps aside Andrew has done an excellent job. Its all about bums on seats and tv. ratings. A+ in both areas. more
- Steve. on Demetriou steps aside And not before time, the man was always out of his depth. more
- David on Demetriou steps aside He should have been removed last year for his attack on Essendon with no evidence or proof of any wrong doing. He did a ... more
- Kate on Demetriou steps aside I think this was in the rumour file! more
- biggles on Kew coup: Napthine's headache Qantas will av a jobe for her more
- Pradman on Kew coup: Napthine's headache Good to see some young blood instead of another matron. more
- Gazza on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault What a surprise more workers lose their jobs after Abbott/WORKCHOICES is elected.its the liberal way...... more
- colin on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault Hey, didn't a high profile 3AW minion classify this this whole thing as Bulltish.Haven't seen a rebuttal, but I will not ... more
- klarie mcintyre on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault how can a australian carrier expect to be sustainable when qantas opted to purchase a380s instead of 777-300ers which are ... more
- Bruno Marino on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault It's about time that we stop blaming all the companies that are RUNNING away from Australia and turn our attention on the ... more
- ian on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault Tell Joyce to spend less on his hair DYE ?and he might save the AIRLINE.??? more
- Rachel on Talking Geelong I have started a Meetup Group called Grassroots Geelong Grassroots Geelong is an ideas exchange and Meetup group for ... more
- JX on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault The union leaders won't rest until every Australian business goes under. You only have to look at the ex union hacks in the ... more
- david on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault Hi perhaps, if those saving a couple of dollars on the cheap airlines should have put their hand in their pocket and flown ... more
- Reg Claybrook on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault Clearly Joyce has to go. Its almost beyond belief he is still there. Like to hear what John Borghetti, now with Virgin,what ... more
- Steve on Joyce: It's not the staff's fault High wage demands by greedy unions and labors carbon tax have had a big influence on these decisions by Qantas and others ... more
- Steve on Dawson always loved Miller: Ford What a tragic waste of life and talent,R.I.P Charlotte.. more
- Janet P on Dawson always loved Miller: Ford Very Sad News she was a lovely lady, RIP. more
Tan Ban: State government preparing to ban solariums
Skin cancer experts are welcoming moves to outlaw solariums and the private sale of sun-beds in Victoria.
Health Minister David Davis says a plan will be released within months following all-party support for a Greens motion in state parliament.
Minister Davis has told Neil Mitchell the solarium industry has not fully complied with the current rules.
"Solariums operators have not lived up to the current regulations in the way they should,”
“We know that some young people are still being allowed into solariums and that's frankly directly against the rules" he said.
It comes 5 years after the death of campaigner and melanoma sufferer Clare Oliver.
Dr Grant McArther from the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre is delighted at the news.
"For young people exposed to solariums it increases their risk of getting melanoma by a staggering 87%. They are very dangerous UV radiating machines,”
“They cause skin cancer, they cause melanoma, they cause deaths in our community so this is a very appropriate step” he said.
I'm a nurse and have been using a tanning bed since I was 15. At the age of 14 I was hospitalized for sunburn from sun baking in the sun. I was advised by my physician at the time my skin wasn't adequatly prepared for sun exposure of that day. I now frequently use the solarium and have regular skin checks. It's now rare for me to get sunburnt when I sun bake further more I tan at a healthier rate with a doctor overseeing it all. I'm a female in my 20s and yes it can be argued I shouldn't tan at all, however I don't want to use the harsh chemicals of fake tan on my largest organ and look unnatural, nor do I want to feel self conscious.
My dad also regularly uses solariums with a doctors supervision as he treats his skin condition psoriasis.Marlie Saturday 15 December, 2012 - 9:24 AM
Lynne what would you know? i have sent to a solarium by my own doctor to treat my skin disorder. The solarium i go to has a Doctor visiting for skin cancer check ups. When was the last time you had yours checked?.. THE LAND OF THE FREELAND OF THE FREE Friday 14 December, 2012 - 9:32 PM
Hey Ted, how will you maintain the tan?Ivan@kinnane Monday 19 November, 2012 - 6:10 AM
Why are you not pushing for genetically modified food to be banned as we our feeding our children and ourselves cancer on a plate as it is not labelled and we don`t know what we are eating. Why are you not pushing for banning the cancer causing chemicals in sunscreen that we are slathering on ourselves and our precious children. Why are you not pushing for cancer causing chemicals that are in our skin care, shampoos baby products etc. So why do they want to ban solariums which stimulate the hormone that produces vitamin d just like the sun?
Vitamin d deficiency causes cancer and vitamin d can prevent most cancers, as well as many other diseases.
I suggest that people start educating themselves instead of listening to ill informed media hype.You Mr Neill Mitchell have a voice so you should educate youself first before using it.valerie Sunday 18 November, 2012 - 11:59 AM
neil i challenge you or any politician to take a walk through any cancer ward with people who have melanoma and see if they have used solariums. it is utter crap the figures they come up with thst solariums are the cause of so many melanomas a year. neil you are a moron and keep out of our lives and stop trying to take away our freedom of choice!!!!!manny Friday 16 November, 2012 - 11:28 PM
i have been using solariums for over 30 years i have a great bill of health because my solarium monitors my use ...how dare you tell me what i have to do....if the solarium bans are in force i will be suntanning in the sun...and i f i get melanoma i will be suing the government...watch the law suits come forward....for i prefer to tan responsibly and not to bake in sun...and clare who sadly passed away...your tanning in the sun and your heritage of asian decent caused your melanoma,,did you tell everyone how you hoped from solarium to solarium...and baked in the sun...no they just want to make you a martyr.....sad one irresponsible unintelligent person has caused our rights to diminish.maurizio Friday 16 November, 2012 - 4:56 PM