- Man arrested after police chase
- Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues
- Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince Engineering to sack 100 workers
- Three dead in fatal 'neighbourhood dispute'
- 'Violence, unsafe sex and drugs'
- Why Rosie Batty erupted
- Blockbuster Easter to kickstart 2015
- Crews mop up Docklands diesel leak
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- david lucas on Man arrested after police chase Dont the police have road spikes? This has gone too long putting many people in small town and on the road at risk more
- MskK on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues You surely have to ask what all these attacks have as a common denominator.... That would be Islam! more
- PJ on Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince ... Its time we faced facts. Australians subsidise Renewable Energy to the tune of $21 Billion now just so its electricity can ... more
- GIW on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues mylene, your comments are just so unbelievable. Get your Labor/Socialist brain into a right mind and say something sensible, ... more
- David on Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince ... Why do they blame the government? Seems to me that they're just using it as an excuse to reduce staff to make more money more
- PJ on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues Morning Neil, I listen with shock at the interview with that Professor.1. tax payer funded job programmes 2. more free ... more
- Peggy on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues I say, let the Jihadists go and hopefully they won't come back for whatever reson but change laws so that they can't come ... more
- Peggy on Why Rosie Batty erupted Someone failed this little boy that's for sure and this is what this is all about.Everyone must answer all questions ... more
- Linda on Why Rosie Batty erupted @ Heather, the police are not stupid. My husband has dealt with hundreds of court orders over his career. The problem is ... more
- GIW on Why Rosie Batty erupted I agree with you @Damo and like you was not game enough to say anything. I was asking that same question from the beginning. more
- mylene on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues More people are going to get killed in Australia in domestic incidents and disputes with neighbours than terrorism. You ... more
- Ben on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues This is one reason why security should be tight at government premises and that includes a ban on wearing the burka in ... more
- Pradman on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues Meanwhile all burqa wearers are welcome in Canberra. more
- Heather on Why Rosie Batty erupted I feel for Rosie Batty ' s loss of her son Luke. It seems the Andersons actions are attributed to MI when it should be ... more
- Factsseeker on Why Rosie Batty erupted What is the matter with our conservative media. There was a child killed here ! The coronial inquiry is being held to try ... more
- Damo on Why Rosie Batty erupted I know i will cop it for saying this but my understanding of this is: Rosie got a intervention order against her husband. ... more
- IBARKER on Why Rosie Batty erupted This one reason why she should not enter Politics. more
- Linda on Why Rosie Batty erupted This is a most distressing case, but we cannot allow ourselves to get to a point where people are above being questioned. ... more
- Tess on Why Rosie Batty erupted Two parents both love the children equally it's not one parents right to say they love(d) their child more than the other! ... more
- Mandi on Gough Whitlam dead at 98 These shall not be forgotten years.I will never forget that powerful speech an aussie icon laid to rest. more
Tan Ban: State government preparing to ban solariums
Skin cancer experts are welcoming moves to outlaw solariums and the private sale of sun-beds in Victoria.
Health Minister David Davis says a plan will be released within months following all-party support for a Greens motion in state parliament.
Minister Davis has told Neil Mitchell the solarium industry has not fully complied with the current rules.
"Solariums operators have not lived up to the current regulations in the way they should,”
“We know that some young people are still being allowed into solariums and that's frankly directly against the rules" he said.
It comes 5 years after the death of campaigner and melanoma sufferer Clare Oliver.
Dr Grant McArther from the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre is delighted at the news.
"For young people exposed to solariums it increases their risk of getting melanoma by a staggering 87%. They are very dangerous UV radiating machines,”
“They cause skin cancer, they cause melanoma, they cause deaths in our community so this is a very appropriate step” he said.
I'm a nurse and have been using a tanning bed since I was 15. At the age of 14 I was hospitalized for sunburn from sun baking in the sun. I was advised by my physician at the time my skin wasn't adequatly prepared for sun exposure of that day. I now frequently use the solarium and have regular skin checks. It's now rare for me to get sunburnt when I sun bake further more I tan at a healthier rate with a doctor overseeing it all. I'm a female in my 20s and yes it can be argued I shouldn't tan at all, however I don't want to use the harsh chemicals of fake tan on my largest organ and look unnatural, nor do I want to feel self conscious.
My dad also regularly uses solariums with a doctors supervision as he treats his skin condition psoriasis.Marlie Saturday 15 December, 2012 - 9:24 AM
Lynne what would you know? i have sent to a solarium by my own doctor to treat my skin disorder. The solarium i go to has a Doctor visiting for skin cancer check ups. When was the last time you had yours checked?.. THE LAND OF THE FREELAND OF THE FREE Friday 14 December, 2012 - 9:32 PM
Hey Ted, how will you maintain the tan?Ivan@kinnane Monday 19 November, 2012 - 6:10 AM
Why are you not pushing for genetically modified food to be banned as we our feeding our children and ourselves cancer on a plate as it is not labelled and we don`t know what we are eating. Why are you not pushing for banning the cancer causing chemicals in sunscreen that we are slathering on ourselves and our precious children. Why are you not pushing for cancer causing chemicals that are in our skin care, shampoos baby products etc. So why do they want to ban solariums which stimulate the hormone that produces vitamin d just like the sun?
Vitamin d deficiency causes cancer and vitamin d can prevent most cancers, as well as many other diseases.
I suggest that people start educating themselves instead of listening to ill informed media hype.You Mr Neill Mitchell have a voice so you should educate youself first before using it.valerie Sunday 18 November, 2012 - 11:59 AM
neil i challenge you or any politician to take a walk through any cancer ward with people who have melanoma and see if they have used solariums. it is utter crap the figures they come up with thst solariums are the cause of so many melanomas a year. neil you are a moron and keep out of our lives and stop trying to take away our freedom of choice!!!!!manny Friday 16 November, 2012 - 11:28 PM
i have been using solariums for over 30 years i have a great bill of health because my solarium monitors my use ...how dare you tell me what i have to do....if the solarium bans are in force i will be suntanning in the sun...and i f i get melanoma i will be suing the government...watch the law suits come forward....for i prefer to tan responsibly and not to bake in sun...and clare who sadly passed away...your tanning in the sun and your heritage of asian decent caused your melanoma,,did you tell everyone how you hoped from solarium to solarium...and baked in the sun...no they just want to make you a martyr.....sad one irresponsible unintelligent person has caused our rights to diminish.maurizio Friday 16 November, 2012 - 4:56 PM