- Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM Abbott and Liberal friends on-side
- AC/DC's Malcolm Young 'seriously unwell'
- Melbourne treated to pink lunar eclipse
- Kindergarten pets mutilated
- Commonwealth Bank customers can't access money
- New way to snap naughty drivers
- Surprise, surprise: Petrol price pain over Easter
- We will build the airport link: Napthine
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Greg on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... About time some Politician has been caught out at a Royal Commission or Inquiry,all they ever say is I don't remember or ... more
- Lukew on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... So you can waste billions of dollars of tax payers money mis-managing just about everything - federal and state - and be ... more
- Gazza on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... Standard liberal behaviour more
- boofa on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... PIGS, TROUGH , SNOUT.Lets cover this one up Tony. more
- Sir Matt of the 1950's on Barry O'Farrell quits, but keeps PM ... Lucky Mitchell & little Tommy Elliott are on holidays(again, more holidays than teachers & construction workers they harp on ... more
- Lisa on Commonwealth Bank customers can't ... Australia Post can't take ANY credit cards, because their Eftpos is with Commonwealth. So... People trying to lodge mail ... more
- Milton on Surprise, surprise: Petrol price pain ... It hit $1.71 cents per Litre yesterday in Sydney. So wait for it. more
- Gazza on New way to snap naughty drivers Robert hills comment say it all"we know motorists are quick to put their phone down and put their seatbelt on when they see ... more
- Milton on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Are you blocking all comments about Clive or just the positive ones? more
- Dame Mylene on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Clive Palmer's now the unofficial Prime Minister of Australia. Fun times ahead, Mr Abbott. more
- Milton on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Neil: At least Clive knows how to build businesses and not tear them down. more
- Hooksy from the Country on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Buffoon - pot, kettle, black ...... more
- Mark on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... It would be worse if there were 4 more green loonies. more
- Garry on Senate circus 'not healthy for ... Both the Labour and Liberal parties seem hell bent on making themselves unappealing many voters are looking for an ... more
- Dame Mylene on 'One of the biggest law and order ... The only way they'll have a Royal Commission is if they can blame Labor. Otherwise it's not going to happen :p more
- Kristy on Youths charged over Newport crime spree Bloody thugs, blame the pathetic laws for this one too as they know nothing will happen not even a slap on the wrist!! more
- Matt on Youths charged over Newport crime spree So glad I live in Singapore where these criminals would be caught, publicly shamed, caned & jailed. In Melbourne they wont ... more
- Sinbad on 'They've got to do something' Of course, it's also Napthine's fault that he got his head kicked in in the first place ! Now you've got to ask yourself why ... more
- Kevin on 'They've got to do something' Napthine government = fail more
- Ken of Euroa on 'They've got to do something' If he had a fractured neck he wouldn't be standing up more
Tan Ban: State government preparing to ban solariums
Skin cancer experts are welcoming moves to outlaw solariums and the private sale of sun-beds in Victoria.
Health Minister David Davis says a plan will be released within months following all-party support for a Greens motion in state parliament.
Minister Davis has told Neil Mitchell the solarium industry has not fully complied with the current rules.
"Solariums operators have not lived up to the current regulations in the way they should,”
“We know that some young people are still being allowed into solariums and that's frankly directly against the rules" he said.
It comes 5 years after the death of campaigner and melanoma sufferer Clare Oliver.
Dr Grant McArther from the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre is delighted at the news.
"For young people exposed to solariums it increases their risk of getting melanoma by a staggering 87%. They are very dangerous UV radiating machines,”
“They cause skin cancer, they cause melanoma, they cause deaths in our community so this is a very appropriate step” he said.
I'm a nurse and have been using a tanning bed since I was 15. At the age of 14 I was hospitalized for sunburn from sun baking in the sun. I was advised by my physician at the time my skin wasn't adequatly prepared for sun exposure of that day. I now frequently use the solarium and have regular skin checks. It's now rare for me to get sunburnt when I sun bake further more I tan at a healthier rate with a doctor overseeing it all. I'm a female in my 20s and yes it can be argued I shouldn't tan at all, however I don't want to use the harsh chemicals of fake tan on my largest organ and look unnatural, nor do I want to feel self conscious.
My dad also regularly uses solariums with a doctors supervision as he treats his skin condition psoriasis.Marlie Saturday 15 December, 2012 - 9:24 AM
Lynne what would you know? i have sent to a solarium by my own doctor to treat my skin disorder. The solarium i go to has a Doctor visiting for skin cancer check ups. When was the last time you had yours checked?.. THE LAND OF THE FREELAND OF THE FREE Friday 14 December, 2012 - 9:32 PM
Hey Ted, how will you maintain the tan?Ivan@kinnane Monday 19 November, 2012 - 6:10 AM
Why are you not pushing for genetically modified food to be banned as we our feeding our children and ourselves cancer on a plate as it is not labelled and we don`t know what we are eating. Why are you not pushing for banning the cancer causing chemicals in sunscreen that we are slathering on ourselves and our precious children. Why are you not pushing for cancer causing chemicals that are in our skin care, shampoos baby products etc. So why do they want to ban solariums which stimulate the hormone that produces vitamin d just like the sun?
Vitamin d deficiency causes cancer and vitamin d can prevent most cancers, as well as many other diseases.
I suggest that people start educating themselves instead of listening to ill informed media hype.You Mr Neill Mitchell have a voice so you should educate youself first before using it.valerie Sunday 18 November, 2012 - 11:59 AM
neil i challenge you or any politician to take a walk through any cancer ward with people who have melanoma and see if they have used solariums. it is utter crap the figures they come up with thst solariums are the cause of so many melanomas a year. neil you are a moron and keep out of our lives and stop trying to take away our freedom of choice!!!!!manny Friday 16 November, 2012 - 11:28 PM
i have been using solariums for over 30 years i have a great bill of health because my solarium monitors my use ...how dare you tell me what i have to do....if the solarium bans are in force i will be suntanning in the sun...and i f i get melanoma i will be suing the government...watch the law suits come forward....for i prefer to tan responsibly and not to bake in sun...and clare who sadly passed away...your tanning in the sun and your heritage of asian decent caused your melanoma,,did you tell everyone how you hoped from solarium to solarium...and baked in the sun...no they just want to make you a martyr.....sad one irresponsible unintelligent person has caused our rights to diminish.maurizio Friday 16 November, 2012 - 4:56 PM