- Video: Bike smashes into car on Clarendon St
- Earthquake hits Greenvale, Epping, Lalor and Roxburgh Park
- Man killed in Wodonga bobcat accident
- Childcare system 'nonsense'
- Paul Dale, Rodney Collins excused from giving evidence
- Fog to cause Melbourne Airport delays
- Scissor bandit can't open cash till
- Government workers cashed in on cosy deals, IBAC hears
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
- Marlene Gow on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' I wonder how Malthouse would've reacted if some other football identity spoke in that manner to his own daughter those few ... more
- kim on Victorian town's HIV scare Re the Dr Lester interview. It was said earlier in the morning - somewhere between 530 & 630 that the health professional ... more
- Faye on Young Aussies gored in bull run GO BULLS !! more
- Kevin on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' Good manners and decency cost nothing and go such a long way. Mick simply needs to be nice to people, it's not ... more
- Mark Ellison on Victorian town's HIV scare How does "coming into contact" with an HIV infected person, carry a risk? I presume the Health Professional isn't providing ... more
- Matt on Fans ripped-off by Tyson 'Meet & Greet' That is why I picked up the iron, him in the spa. more
- Amanda on Ice town: Victorian region's ... I know of a group of users in Neerim Sth. Folks should take a more loving stance on the unfortunate statement the journalist ... more
Tan Ban: State government preparing to ban solariums
Skin cancer experts are welcoming moves to outlaw solariums and the private sale of sun-beds in Victoria.
Health Minister David Davis says a plan will be released within months following all-party support for a Greens motion in state parliament.
Minister Davis has told Neil Mitchell the solarium industry has not fully complied with the current rules.
"Solariums operators have not lived up to the current regulations in the way they should,”
“We know that some young people are still being allowed into solariums and that's frankly directly against the rules" he said.
It comes 5 years after the death of campaigner and melanoma sufferer Clare Oliver.
Dr Grant McArther from the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre is delighted at the news.
"For young people exposed to solariums it increases their risk of getting melanoma by a staggering 87%. They are very dangerous UV radiating machines,”
“They cause skin cancer, they cause melanoma, they cause deaths in our community so this is a very appropriate step” he said.
I'm a nurse and have been using a tanning bed since I was 15. At the age of 14 I was hospitalized for sunburn from sun baking in the sun. I was advised by my physician at the time my skin wasn't adequatly prepared for sun exposure of that day. I now frequently use the solarium and have regular skin checks. It's now rare for me to get sunburnt when I sun bake further more I tan at a healthier rate with a doctor overseeing it all. I'm a female in my 20s and yes it can be argued I shouldn't tan at all, however I don't want to use the harsh chemicals of fake tan on my largest organ and look unnatural, nor do I want to feel self conscious.
My dad also regularly uses solariums with a doctors supervision as he treats his skin condition psoriasis.Marlie Saturday 15 December, 2012 - 9:24 AM
Lynne what would you know? i have sent to a solarium by my own doctor to treat my skin disorder. The solarium i go to has a Doctor visiting for skin cancer check ups. When was the last time you had yours checked?.. THE LAND OF THE FREELAND OF THE FREE Friday 14 December, 2012 - 9:32 PM
Hey Ted, how will you maintain the tan?Ivan@kinnane Monday 19 November, 2012 - 6:10 AM
Why are you not pushing for genetically modified food to be banned as we our feeding our children and ourselves cancer on a plate as it is not labelled and we don`t know what we are eating. Why are you not pushing for banning the cancer causing chemicals in sunscreen that we are slathering on ourselves and our precious children. Why are you not pushing for cancer causing chemicals that are in our skin care, shampoos baby products etc. So why do they want to ban solariums which stimulate the hormone that produces vitamin d just like the sun?
Vitamin d deficiency causes cancer and vitamin d can prevent most cancers, as well as many other diseases.
I suggest that people start educating themselves instead of listening to ill informed media hype.You Mr Neill Mitchell have a voice so you should educate youself first before using it.valerie Sunday 18 November, 2012 - 11:59 AM
neil i challenge you or any politician to take a walk through any cancer ward with people who have melanoma and see if they have used solariums. it is utter crap the figures they come up with thst solariums are the cause of so many melanomas a year. neil you are a moron and keep out of our lives and stop trying to take away our freedom of choice!!!!!manny Friday 16 November, 2012 - 11:28 PM
i have been using solariums for over 30 years i have a great bill of health because my solarium monitors my use ...how dare you tell me what i have to do....if the solarium bans are in force i will be suntanning in the sun...and i f i get melanoma i will be suing the government...watch the law suits come forward....for i prefer to tan responsibly and not to bake in sun...and clare who sadly passed away...your tanning in the sun and your heritage of asian decent caused your melanoma,,did you tell everyone how you hoped from solarium to solarium...and baked in the sun...no they just want to make you a martyr.....sad one irresponsible unintelligent person has caused our rights to diminish.maurizio Friday 16 November, 2012 - 4:56 PM