- Hird, Essendon have their days in court
- Where has it gone wrong for Qantas?
- Police hunt man after lift assault
- Teens injured in Western Ring Road drag racing flip
- James Hird nominates Patrick Smith
- I found the experience so deeply unsettling
- 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives'
- $400k fire at iconic St Kilda restaurant
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Going after Greens voters.. Their evil twin the Greens won't be to impressed with that more
- Ross on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' "Process", "Process", "Process". Davis is a broken record. I'm a Paramedic, and if I had a dollar for every time he's called ... more
- Gloria on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' Danny Boy Andrews, how to win friends and influence people, bring in a drug law that can be rorted by druggies and ... more
- Peggy on 'No doubt medical cannabis saves lives' What a situation we are going to be in at the next election. If we want to do the right thing and have this approved and ... more
- Samantha Mclean on Shoeless creep attacks in Fitzroy North Put guards back at all stations!!! more
- IBARKER on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Tell him to walk and if he does he might loose one of those "CHINS". more
- Atticus on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... He parked put the front so that porky would not have to walk too far.Disgrace. more
- James on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Why didn't 3AW give him a spot in the visitor car park if he is expected/a regular guest? more
- Bugs54 on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If you park your car on the nature strip the council will say it's their land and fine you,yet they want you to mow it and ... more
- Mr Gararth on Monash Council to fine you for not ... No wonder Rudd dropped Geoff Lake as the candidate for Hotham last year. Get out of our lives local government! more
- KANE on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Melbournians are going to be 'Taxed, Dutied, Priced, Tar riffed, Levied, Excised, Pork Barreled OUT OF EXISTANCE!!! more
- Geoff on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Easy solution to the problem. If the council don't want to look after their own land ie the nature strips, just give the ... more
- mylene on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If Darebin council tried this they'd make a billion dollars before the sun went down. more
- bc on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' get WADA to come in over the top and give the killer blow stuff the AFL and hird and doctor little more
- Rod on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' What's Paul Little talking about. They have only been in court for 3 days. If Essendon don't get some sort of penalty, Then ... more
- Mooroolbark Mick on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' "Swepped" indicates the level of intelligence we have in this debate. I give up! more
- Peter Flynn on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Yes we the footy public do want to know and if the Essendon Football Club and James Hird were not gagged maybe we would. And ... more
- Docklands on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Show Cause Notices Issued.Essendon shows bokk of what was given and on what dates and to who ?Notices withdrawn. What has ... more
- Arthur Hiliard on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' If these footy "sportsman" have nothing to hide they should be welcoming any investigation! Seems they're a bit shocked to ... more
- David on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' We haven't got deal fatigue. We want to see Essendon held to account. Let the charges be heard! The public wants to see ... more
Tan Ban: State government preparing to ban solariums
Skin cancer experts are welcoming moves to outlaw solariums and the private sale of sun-beds in Victoria.
Health Minister David Davis says a plan will be released within months following all-party support for a Greens motion in state parliament.
Minister Davis has told Neil Mitchell the solarium industry has not fully complied with the current rules.
"Solariums operators have not lived up to the current regulations in the way they should,”
“We know that some young people are still being allowed into solariums and that's frankly directly against the rules" he said.
It comes 5 years after the death of campaigner and melanoma sufferer Clare Oliver.
Dr Grant McArther from the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre is delighted at the news.
"For young people exposed to solariums it increases their risk of getting melanoma by a staggering 87%. They are very dangerous UV radiating machines,”
“They cause skin cancer, they cause melanoma, they cause deaths in our community so this is a very appropriate step” he said.
I'm a nurse and have been using a tanning bed since I was 15. At the age of 14 I was hospitalized for sunburn from sun baking in the sun. I was advised by my physician at the time my skin wasn't adequatly prepared for sun exposure of that day. I now frequently use the solarium and have regular skin checks. It's now rare for me to get sunburnt when I sun bake further more I tan at a healthier rate with a doctor overseeing it all. I'm a female in my 20s and yes it can be argued I shouldn't tan at all, however I don't want to use the harsh chemicals of fake tan on my largest organ and look unnatural, nor do I want to feel self conscious.
My dad also regularly uses solariums with a doctors supervision as he treats his skin condition psoriasis.Marlie Saturday 15 December, 2012 - 9:24 AM
Lynne what would you know? i have sent to a solarium by my own doctor to treat my skin disorder. The solarium i go to has a Doctor visiting for skin cancer check ups. When was the last time you had yours checked?.. THE LAND OF THE FREELAND OF THE FREE Friday 14 December, 2012 - 9:32 PM
Hey Ted, how will you maintain the tan?Ivan@kinnane Monday 19 November, 2012 - 6:10 AM
Why are you not pushing for genetically modified food to be banned as we our feeding our children and ourselves cancer on a plate as it is not labelled and we don`t know what we are eating. Why are you not pushing for banning the cancer causing chemicals in sunscreen that we are slathering on ourselves and our precious children. Why are you not pushing for cancer causing chemicals that are in our skin care, shampoos baby products etc. So why do they want to ban solariums which stimulate the hormone that produces vitamin d just like the sun?
Vitamin d deficiency causes cancer and vitamin d can prevent most cancers, as well as many other diseases.
I suggest that people start educating themselves instead of listening to ill informed media hype.You Mr Neill Mitchell have a voice so you should educate youself first before using it.valerie Sunday 18 November, 2012 - 11:59 AM
neil i challenge you or any politician to take a walk through any cancer ward with people who have melanoma and see if they have used solariums. it is utter crap the figures they come up with thst solariums are the cause of so many melanomas a year. neil you are a moron and keep out of our lives and stop trying to take away our freedom of choice!!!!!manny Friday 16 November, 2012 - 11:28 PM
i have been using solariums for over 30 years i have a great bill of health because my solarium monitors my use ...how dare you tell me what i have to do....if the solarium bans are in force i will be suntanning in the sun...and i f i get melanoma i will be suing the government...watch the law suits come forward....for i prefer to tan responsibly and not to bake in sun...and clare who sadly passed away...your tanning in the sun and your heritage of asian decent caused your melanoma,,did you tell everyone how you hoped from solarium to solarium...and baked in the sun...no they just want to make you a martyr.....sad one irresponsible unintelligent person has caused our rights to diminish.maurizio Friday 16 November, 2012 - 4:56 PM