- Bombers battered in court
- Terror raids: Sydney man charged over terrorism plot
- Attempted tobacco smuggling ring busted in Port Melbourne
- RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard thief checking in for 'other matters' at police station
- McCartney responds to rift rumours
- Carlton tram creep touching women passengers
- Teen attacked along Dandenong Creek
- 'It's not OK': Pollie's anger over 'pornographic' graffiti
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Willow on Bombers battered in court About time, justice at last. A lesson to players for the future, do not take part in experiments just because your Club and ... more
- Aria Judillaa on Bombers battered in court Sorry Hird, but when people start challenging the validity of an investigation it's pretty obvious they have something to ... more
- Iain on Bombers battered in court I wonder if Essendon get it know..Justice Middleton is well respected and agrees they have a case to answer. Essendon: take ... more
- Stephen on Bombers battered in court Time to move on and draw a line under this by all sides. The evidence is not there or this would have been put to bed by ... more
- IBARKER on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... Great result for the Person that had his Boards Stolen. more
- RFor on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... LOVE IT !!!Like the other one a few weeks ago- Pollys Questn. Suspect, he says no not me, shows his brothers I.D. - Pollys ... more
- Jodie O'Donovan on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... Sounds like the bloke who robbed my house while I was across the road at work, watching him. My husband ran to the house to ... more
- David T. on RUMOUR FILE: Victim finds surfboard ... This is one thief who is totally unsuited to his chosen career. more
- jgl Melb on Australian troops land in Middle East ... So the SAS are over there to "train" the locals...First;Didn't they get enough training when we and the Yanks were there the ... more
- Gloria on Body of toddler found in creek OMG, please all parents watch after your children, especially when near danger water. more
- Time for the TRUTH on Did we miss the train? The next train to the airport leaves Southern Cross Station in 2030, please mind 'the gap"!! more
- Michelle on Did we miss the train? I'm a liberal voter and think this advertising is just a waste of money and VERY unhelpful not to mention confusing for ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? Why not move the airport to Fisherman's Bend and a new suburb to Tullarmarine? The terminal could become a shopping centre ... more
- Lindsay Cowling on Did we miss the train? From plane to train in just 25 minutes? Just another example of the deceptive and misleading conduct this State Government ... more
- Ian Montgomery on Did we miss the train? I wonder if the 901 bus from the Airport to Broadmeadows station takes 25 minutes? Then the sign would be accurate though ... more
- Grant on Did we miss the train? As Victoria has pre-established election dates, wouldn't it be simple to just have moratorium on government related ... more
- mark on Did we miss the train? neil,you say the gov is spending millions on self promotion,but does 3aw take any of their money? more
- Cherie on Did we miss the train? It's nice to live in the worlds move livable city but if the government doesn't do something about employment, we wont be ... more
- poppitt on Labor trumps government's Geelong ... Where is he getting the money? Public Transport, all Schools, Ambulance workers (who deserve to be paid the best!) now ... more
- Chris on Man shot in hand, no suspects Reckon he might have just been letting of steam following the mighty Heidelberg footy clubs Grand Final win. more
Teachers at Islamic school face sacking if they don't wear hijab
A South Australian Islamic school has warned 20 non-Muslim female teachers that they'll be sacked if they don't don a hijab to school functions.
The Islamic College of South Australia's West Croydon campus says if teachers are caught three times without a headdress, they could face termination.
This contradicts the policy of the Australian Federation of Islamic Schools.
Neil Mitchell spoke to Glenn Seidel, South Australian Secretary of the Independent Education Union, who said asking non-Islamic women to identify as Muslim is 'unreasonable.'
"If someone is terminated because of that policy, our union would support members in action under Fairwork Australia unfair dismissal," Seidel said.
"This is discrimination but it only gets tested when there is consequence. The school would need to take action against one of the teachers first."
Mr Seidel said the school is already facing 'similar legal issues' for their hard-line management style.
PLAY: Glenn Seidel South Australian Secretary of the Independent Education Union
In this country we have the freedom to practice whatever religion you want. It is obsurd that non muslims are being told to wear the hijab. Australia is primarily Christian yet we do not make muslim women remove their hijab.
It is the very thing people love about this country that is compromising it, freedom. The freedom given to people in Australia will ultimately cost us the Australia we know today.Nadine Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 9:26 AM
Next they will have to pray 5 times a day ...crico Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 4:49 AM
lets not become the uk when it comes to a tread lightly approach or stance on islamic extreme views. look at the drama's over there. lets keep it real. real simple. mutual respect. empathy from both sides and keep the extremists out of the civil debate. more of the islamic moderates should speak up especially if they are what they say they are. good people. real followers of the koran (not radicalized views of the koran). if the western laws of the this land don't suit, back home you go. simple simple simple. come on you aussie pollies. have some balls and govern with your heart.jaymezz Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 3:15 AM
Australia; land of the free?Clay Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 10:09 PM
Fair enough it's part of the dress code. All good schools have a staff dress code. Wearing a veil at a muslim school is hardly surprising. No one's asking these women teachers to become muslim, just show a bit of respect to your employer.Fair Enough Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 8:05 PM
Australia is going down hill fast forcing non Muslims to wear hijabs .They got KFC that do not serve bacon .See if this happens in parts of europe .Imagine telling germans and italians that they cannot have porknat carr Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 7:42 PM