- AFL footballer's stalker 'hacked Facebook', organised 'orgy'
- Teenager stabbed amid armed hold up at Ashwood bottle shop
- Two men charged with eight counts of rape
- Rumour as tweet: NSW Waratahs' embarrassing post
- London: Two more suspects arrested following brutal beheading
- Elderly assault victim passes away
- Witness appeal following CBD hit-run
- Hazel Hawke passes away
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mandy on Hazel Hawke passes away A strong and talented woman I admired her views. more
- Joybells on Hazel Hawke passes away Hazel Hawke was such a lady, well respected and loved & will be greatly missed.She truly was a gr8 Australian. more
- Anita Elkington on Hazel Hawke passes away A truly beautiful wonderful woman , so sad , more
- Matt - proudly Un-Australian on Gina Rinehart more powerful than PM: ... Get real, she doesn't even like her own children, what sort of woman is that??? Money over your own kids, that is evil. more
- Schtang on Gina Rinehart more powerful than PM: ... Gina Rinehart is only powerful due to her money - Julia Gillard is powerful due to her intelligence & integrity. more
- Tim Whiteside on Essendon footballer in hospital after ... Hi Guys, I've been listening to the ABC for a lifetime but really had enough of Red Symonds who ,so self-obsessed ... more
- Rod Evans on One person trapped after army base tank ... Best wishes to the boys injured in the service of their country. more
- Who's Paying??? on Craig Thomson MP faces 19 extra charges I've never ever known of a court case to drag on for so many years. Are we the taxpayer paying his bills? more
- Jillian on Essendon footballer in hospital after ... Another stabbing in the community, but if this case is going to toughen up our legal finding's on stabbing cases then I ... more
- Jillian on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... If only dog's could talk! God bless the both of you. more
- mandy on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... Something good came out of something so bad. Amazing how that little dog survived. more
- Gerard on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill is yet again 'over the hill'.I take it he wants to make his job even easier than it ... more
- KNOW-ALL COPPER on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... ANOTHER CASE OF A GEN X COP, SUSS AT THAT, TALKING DOWN TO THE GENERATION BELOW HIM.NOTHING IS NEW HERE. THIS AGE GROUP X ... more
- Pj on Kevin Rudd changes stance on gay ... Rudd changed his mind? Like he did on the Spill leaving his mates high and dry? Note for us: Lets not give him an ... more
- Greg on Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving ... And this fool was in charge of young AFL players futures.What a role model,not more
- Greg on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... What a huge con the .05 system is.It tells people you can drink & drive but not over that limit.Why not have a zero limit ... more
- Sarah on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... As a current green P-plater with no desire to ever drive after having even one drink, this doesn't bother me at all... If it ... more
- mylene on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... The Nanny State lives!! more
- Jillian on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... How about having a number plate H for hoon or D for drink driver. Let these unstable driver's be known to the motorist on ... more
- robynne on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... I would say till 21,also they should have defencive driving classes at school! more
Teachers at Islamic school face sacking if they don't wear hijab
A South Australian Islamic school has warned 20 non-Muslim female teachers that they'll be sacked if they don't don a hijab to school functions.
The Islamic College of South Australia's West Croydon campus says if teachers are caught three times without a headdress, they could face termination.
This contradicts the policy of the Australian Federation of Islamic Schools.
Neil Mitchell spoke to Glenn Seidel, South Australian Secretary of the Independent Education Union, who said asking non-Islamic women to identify as Muslim is 'unreasonable.'
"If someone is terminated because of that policy, our union would support members in action under Fairwork Australia unfair dismissal," Seidel said.
"This is discrimination but it only gets tested when there is consequence. The school would need to take action against one of the teachers first."
Mr Seidel said the school is already facing 'similar legal issues' for their hard-line management style.
PLAY: Glenn Seidel South Australian Secretary of the Independent Education Union
In this country we have the freedom to practice whatever religion you want. It is obsurd that non muslims are being told to wear the hijab. Australia is primarily Christian yet we do not make muslim women remove their hijab.
It is the very thing people love about this country that is compromising it, freedom. The freedom given to people in Australia will ultimately cost us the Australia we know today.Nadine Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 9:26 AM
Next they will have to pray 5 times a day ...crico Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 4:49 AM
lets not become the uk when it comes to a tread lightly approach or stance on islamic extreme views. look at the drama's over there. lets keep it real. real simple. mutual respect. empathy from both sides and keep the extremists out of the civil debate. more of the islamic moderates should speak up especially if they are what they say they are. good people. real followers of the koran (not radicalized views of the koran). if the western laws of the this land don't suit, back home you go. simple simple simple. come on you aussie pollies. have some balls and govern with your heart.jaymezz Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 3:15 AM
Australia; land of the free?Clay Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 10:09 PM
Fair enough it's part of the dress code. All good schools have a staff dress code. Wearing a veil at a muslim school is hardly surprising. No one's asking these women teachers to become muslim, just show a bit of respect to your employer.Fair Enough Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 8:05 PM
Australia is going down hill fast forcing non Muslims to wear hijabs .They got KFC that do not serve bacon .See if this happens in parts of europe .Imagine telling germans and italians that they cannot have porknat carr Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 7:42 PM