- Hird, Essendon have their days in court
- Eddie McGuire should quit: Jeff Kennett
- Bomb threat: School given all-clear
- Burnley Tunnel closed: Lucky escape in Monash truck fire
- Softened stance on sexting teens
- 'G, that's rough: Tigers unhappy
- Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no standing zone
- One dead in Tarneit crash
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- IBARKER on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Tell him to walk and if he does he might loose one of those "CHINS". more
- Atticus on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... He parked put the front so that porky would not have to walk too far.Disgrace. more
- James on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Why didn't 3AW give him a spot in the visitor car park if he is expected/a regular guest? more
- Bugs54 on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If you park your car on the nature strip the council will say it's their land and fine you,yet they want you to mow it and ... more
- Mr Gararth on Monash Council to fine you for not ... No wonder Rudd dropped Geoff Lake as the candidate for Hotham last year. Get out of our lives local government! more
- KANE on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Melbournians are going to be 'Taxed, Dutied, Priced, Tar riffed, Levied, Excised, Pork Barreled OUT OF EXISTANCE!!! more
- Geoff on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Easy solution to the problem. If the council don't want to look after their own land ie the nature strips, just give the ... more
- mylene on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If Darebin council tried this they'd make a billion dollars before the sun went down. more
- bc on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' get WADA to come in over the top and give the killer blow stuff the AFL and hird and doctor little more
- Rod on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' What's Paul Little talking about. They have only been in court for 3 days. If Essendon don't get some sort of penalty, Then ... more
- Mooroolbark Mick on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' "Swepped" indicates the level of intelligence we have in this debate. I give up! more
- Peter Flynn on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Yes we the footy public do want to know and if the Essendon Football Club and James Hird were not gagged maybe we would. And ... more
- Docklands on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Show Cause Notices Issued.Essendon shows bokk of what was given and on what dates and to who ?Notices withdrawn. What has ... more
- Arthur Hiliard on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' If these footy "sportsman" have nothing to hide they should be welcoming any investigation! Seems they're a bit shocked to ... more
- David on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' We haven't got deal fatigue. We want to see Essendon held to account. Let the charges be heard! The public wants to see ... more
- iain on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' More political interference is not what is required here. We need allegations of doping heard and either cleared or ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' This is a waste of taxpayers money the courts have more urgent cases to deal with. more
- Sid on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Guilty as sin but not an iota of evidence or positive test to support these claims?Everyone has a problem saying the Bombers ... more
- Christine on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' For people who actively listen, and have no agenda, Paul Little has conducted himself impeccably throughout this drawn-out ... more
- Nigel on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' No Mr Little, the whole community hasn't got deal fatigue, it's sick and tired of Essendonâ?¢ trying to stall/block ... more
Teachers at Islamic school face sacking if they don't wear hijab
A South Australian Islamic school has warned 20 non-Muslim female teachers that they'll be sacked if they don't don a hijab to school functions.
The Islamic College of South Australia's West Croydon campus says if teachers are caught three times without a headdress, they could face termination.
This contradicts the policy of the Australian Federation of Islamic Schools.
Neil Mitchell spoke to Glenn Seidel, South Australian Secretary of the Independent Education Union, who said asking non-Islamic women to identify as Muslim is 'unreasonable.'
"If someone is terminated because of that policy, our union would support members in action under Fairwork Australia unfair dismissal," Seidel said.
"This is discrimination but it only gets tested when there is consequence. The school would need to take action against one of the teachers first."
Mr Seidel said the school is already facing 'similar legal issues' for their hard-line management style.
PLAY: Glenn Seidel South Australian Secretary of the Independent Education Union
In this country we have the freedom to practice whatever religion you want. It is obsurd that non muslims are being told to wear the hijab. Australia is primarily Christian yet we do not make muslim women remove their hijab.
It is the very thing people love about this country that is compromising it, freedom. The freedom given to people in Australia will ultimately cost us the Australia we know today.Nadine Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 9:26 AM
Next they will have to pray 5 times a day ...crico Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 4:49 AM
lets not become the uk when it comes to a tread lightly approach or stance on islamic extreme views. look at the drama's over there. lets keep it real. real simple. mutual respect. empathy from both sides and keep the extremists out of the civil debate. more of the islamic moderates should speak up especially if they are what they say they are. good people. real followers of the koran (not radicalized views of the koran). if the western laws of the this land don't suit, back home you go. simple simple simple. come on you aussie pollies. have some balls and govern with your heart.jaymezz Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 3:15 AM
Australia; land of the free?Clay Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 10:09 PM
Fair enough it's part of the dress code. All good schools have a staff dress code. Wearing a veil at a muslim school is hardly surprising. No one's asking these women teachers to become muslim, just show a bit of respect to your employer.Fair Enough Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 8:05 PM
Australia is going down hill fast forcing non Muslims to wear hijabs .They got KFC that do not serve bacon .See if this happens in parts of europe .Imagine telling germans and italians that they cannot have porknat carr Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 7:42 PM