- No deal: Ambo pay dispute blows up
- Ambulance Victoria dismisses Melbourne Ebola fears
- Poll points to big Liberal loss
- Chinatown murder charge
- A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is shattered'
- Has this CCTV caught a ghost?
- The Rumour File even we didn't think could be true...
- Man hunt after stabbing shock
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Susan Williams on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Neil I have listened to your interview with Bridget O'Toole and I felt compelled to write to you. I was crying whilst ... more
- Mandi on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... The parle board and those responsible have blood on their hands again sadly I cant see things changing. more
- Craig on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... I do not generally believe in the death penalty, but there are 20 or 30 cases where the death penalty is warranted. This ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? The Police should see this video it looks like a robber. more
- M. Patterson on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... As a friend of the family I have seen their grief firsthand and I am just so heartbroken because of the endless pain they ... more
- PJ on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Broke my heart listening to the agony and the anguish of Bridget. What a person she is to be still standing up after all ... more
- Lee McLean on The Rumour File even we didn't think ... The day my father died in a nursing home in footscray a carer walked up my mother and myself a stated now your father has ... more
- Lance on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? Ghost?Sounds legit. more
- Andrea Davey on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Our Legal System needs a complete overhaul. This man had 200 prior convictions and now a good honest person is dead. Why oh ... more
- Renee Wood on A wife's heartbreak: 'My life is ... Bridget my heart breaks for you and your family. Your strength through that interview was amazing. Im ashamed of our ... more
- Mel on The Rumour File even we didn't think ... Shame on YOU! more
- Mel on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? Yes i believe it to be a ghost, yes. more
- Kathryn on The Rumour File even we didn't think ... Dear 3AW, I too was robbed while in Frances Perry Hospital in 2010, three days after giving birth by C Section to my ... more
- Ken LEE TET on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? The shape on the chair is not identifiable as a person in this still photo. Maybe a better view if we could see the video, ... more
- Lisa on Has this CCTV caught a ghost? Neil, Ive seen ghosts, and they are grey to charcoal in colour, this looks white.....mmm I have my doubts ;) more
- Belinda on Wild weather causes train chaos I shot a video of last night's thunderstorm and lightning strikes in Melbourne. My house is in Footscray. more
- Jason on Wild weather causes train chaos Thunderbolts and lightening, very very frightening! more
- Colin Lacivita on Man arrested after police chase The Police should have gotten a couple of truckies to setup a road block and then abandon their trucks. This would really ... more
- PatQuickCrazy on Man arrested after police chase We could do what the Greens like to do for anything and everything like this...how about we just ban cars? more
- Aria Judilla on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues @GIW - Rather than just bag Mylene personally maybe you could actually point out which part of her post you think was ... more
Teachers at Islamic school face sacking if they don't wear hijab
A South Australian Islamic school has warned 20 non-Muslim female teachers that they'll be sacked if they don't don a hijab to school functions.
The Islamic College of South Australia's West Croydon campus says if teachers are caught three times without a headdress, they could face termination.
This contradicts the policy of the Australian Federation of Islamic Schools.
Neil Mitchell spoke to Glenn Seidel, South Australian Secretary of the Independent Education Union, who said asking non-Islamic women to identify as Muslim is 'unreasonable.'
"If someone is terminated because of that policy, our union would support members in action under Fairwork Australia unfair dismissal," Seidel said.
"This is discrimination but it only gets tested when there is consequence. The school would need to take action against one of the teachers first."
Mr Seidel said the school is already facing 'similar legal issues' for their hard-line management style.
PLAY: Glenn Seidel South Australian Secretary of the Independent Education Union
In this country we have the freedom to practice whatever religion you want. It is obsurd that non muslims are being told to wear the hijab. Australia is primarily Christian yet we do not make muslim women remove their hijab.
It is the very thing people love about this country that is compromising it, freedom. The freedom given to people in Australia will ultimately cost us the Australia we know today.Nadine Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 9:26 AM
Next they will have to pray 5 times a day ...crico Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 4:49 AM
lets not become the uk when it comes to a tread lightly approach or stance on islamic extreme views. look at the drama's over there. lets keep it real. real simple. mutual respect. empathy from both sides and keep the extremists out of the civil debate. more of the islamic moderates should speak up especially if they are what they say they are. good people. real followers of the koran (not radicalized views of the koran). if the western laws of the this land don't suit, back home you go. simple simple simple. come on you aussie pollies. have some balls and govern with your heart.jaymezz Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 3:15 AM
Australia; land of the free?Clay Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 10:09 PM
Fair enough it's part of the dress code. All good schools have a staff dress code. Wearing a veil at a muslim school is hardly surprising. No one's asking these women teachers to become muslim, just show a bit of respect to your employer.Fair Enough Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 8:05 PM
Australia is going down hill fast forcing non Muslims to wear hijabs .They got KFC that do not serve bacon .See if this happens in parts of europe .Imagine telling germans and italians that they cannot have porknat carr Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 7:42 PM