- 'Heads must roll, or the voters will roll you'
- On the road with Patty the poet cabbie
- Marathon hero, hamburger lover
- Peter Slipper found guilty
- Demons sign Paul Roos for another year
- Seal swims to South Yarra
- Police investigate football leg break
- Umpire reverses match-winning goal for 'faked' injury
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
Teachers at Islamic school face sacking if they don't wear hijab
A South Australian Islamic school has warned 20 non-Muslim female teachers that they'll be sacked if they don't don a hijab to school functions.
The Islamic College of South Australia's West Croydon campus says if teachers are caught three times without a headdress, they could face termination.
This contradicts the policy of the Australian Federation of Islamic Schools.
Neil Mitchell spoke to Glenn Seidel, South Australian Secretary of the Independent Education Union, who said asking non-Islamic women to identify as Muslim is 'unreasonable.'
"If someone is terminated because of that policy, our union would support members in action under Fairwork Australia unfair dismissal," Seidel said.
"This is discrimination but it only gets tested when there is consequence. The school would need to take action against one of the teachers first."
Mr Seidel said the school is already facing 'similar legal issues' for their hard-line management style.
PLAY: Glenn Seidel South Australian Secretary of the Independent Education Union
In this country we have the freedom to practice whatever religion you want. It is obsurd that non muslims are being told to wear the hijab. Australia is primarily Christian yet we do not make muslim women remove their hijab.
It is the very thing people love about this country that is compromising it, freedom. The freedom given to people in Australia will ultimately cost us the Australia we know today.Nadine Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 9:26 AM
Next they will have to pray 5 times a day ...crico Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 4:49 AM
lets not become the uk when it comes to a tread lightly approach or stance on islamic extreme views. look at the drama's over there. lets keep it real. real simple. mutual respect. empathy from both sides and keep the extremists out of the civil debate. more of the islamic moderates should speak up especially if they are what they say they are. good people. real followers of the koran (not radicalized views of the koran). if the western laws of the this land don't suit, back home you go. simple simple simple. come on you aussie pollies. have some balls and govern with your heart.jaymezz Wednesday 13 February, 2013 - 3:15 AM
Australia; land of the free?Clay Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 10:09 PM
Fair enough it's part of the dress code. All good schools have a staff dress code. Wearing a veil at a muslim school is hardly surprising. No one's asking these women teachers to become muslim, just show a bit of respect to your employer.Fair Enough Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 8:05 PM
Australia is going down hill fast forcing non Muslims to wear hijabs .They got KFC that do not serve bacon .See if this happens in parts of europe .Imagine telling germans and italians that they cannot have porknat carr Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 7:42 PM