- Second Test: Australia v India
- North East fires: Four homes lost
- Bus driver headbutted in ugly attack
- Siege gunman had a gun licence
- Guy announces new shadow cabinet
- 'A cowardly way of getting back'
- $6m drug ring smashed in suburban raids
- Possible bomb threat in Canberra
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Lukew on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Certain amount of boot in mouth there Colin more
- Craig on Bus driver headbutted in ugly attack What happened to the Barriers to protect drivers that where going to be put in the bus's back in February!!???? more
- PJ on North East fires: Four homes lost And whats Andrews doing? Still showing how brave he is walking up and down Burke Street? more
- Auguste Rodin on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Listen Colin, you don't know Mitchell either, he zoomed back from wherever like a robber's dog! I would have bet a lot of ... more
- Auguste Rodin on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Very sad the whole affair. I wonder why it was necessary to fire so many rounds during the final stages, they only had one ... more
- Benny on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege I have actually Colin, and I've seen him on seven news too. I also know that Neil Mitchell is a very well respected ... more
- Jim on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege To our beautiful fellow Australians we have lost in very tragic circumstances , our hearts are with you ... To our brothers ... more
- acetrim on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege the people to blame are ones who let this lunatic into the country when we complained you called us all racist the had the ... more
- Ekrem Fuldagli on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Dear Community and friends, As Chairman of our association I would like to offer our heartfelt condolences to the family and ... more
- Mckenna_pj@hotmail.com on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Nick McCallum should be the holiday relief for Jon Faine not Neil Mitchell lol more
- Colin Lacivita on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege You were right Benny Neil Mitchell is back! But I was not wrong to say Nick McCallum is doing a fantastic job replacing ... more
- Caz on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege OMG.I had to go into media lock down yesterday.The ammount of times they showed the woman running towards the police in ... more
- Mandy on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege I am again dissapointed in finding out this thing was out on bail he was and is a severe threat to Aust and now all this ... more
- Jane on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege We all knew Neil would be in tomorrow! Don't know why as Nick is perfectly able to cover this tragic story..it makes him ... more
- Gloria on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Well Benny you were right, we all know that Neil loves to cover the big stories. The judiciary has a lot to answer to as why ... more
- Jane on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege The judiciary has a lot to answer for in allowing him bail for his alleged crimes and so does our laws in not allowing ... more
- Sinbad on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Would you like cream or ice-cream with your humble pie Colin? more
- Jane on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Two hostages dead. So very tragic and heartbreaking. One vermin exterminated. more
- Colin Lacivita on Two hostages killed in Sydney siege Listen Benny you know nothing about Neil Mitchell he is overseas on his Christmas holiday break.Nick McCallum is doing a ... more
- Tex Morton on Is this the promise Victorians want ... It was always the vocal minority's that didn't want it. Who really wants gridlock. You can't end a 6 lane freeway at a set ... more
Tom Elliott apologises for 'poor choice of words'
This latest controversy development comes just days after Yumi Stynes and George Negus were at the centre of outrage after making insensitive comments about Victoria Cross recipient Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith.
During the 2pm 'Right on the tip of my tongue' quiz on Sunday afternoon, Tom attempted to give a clue to a caller:
"The song was popular...back when being in the Australian army actually meant something, not just handing out water to starving people and things like that."
Today, Neil confronted Tom about his comment, to which Tom admitted a 'poor choice of words.'
"What I meant was the ads for the army. Back in the day if you joined the army you were taught to drive a tank, fire a gun, at the end of the day do the things we need the army to do," Tom Elliott told Neil Mitchell.
"Whereas today we focus on the humanitarian side of the army, possibly at the expense of what it should do, which is have a war-fighting capability."
Tom concluded his defence by saying: "If I said the wrong thing I apologise."
Listen to the Weekend Break audio clip and Neil confronting Tom below.
PLAY: Tom Elliott's Australian Army comment on the Weekend Break and his subsequent explanation on the Mornings Program
UPDATE: A caller to Neil Mitchell was so moved by the comments surrounding Ben Roberts-Smith that he & his family sent the Victoria Cross recipient a letter detailing what the defence force means to them. Early Friday morning they received a reply. Listen here.
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Neil Mitchell on Twitter
- Derryn Hinch on Twitter
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Tom Elliott on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Darren James on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Yvette Gray on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy on Twitter
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Denis O'Kane on Twitter
- Alexandra Factor on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Justin Smith on Twitter
- Nicole Denton on Twitter
- Shannon Reid on Twitter
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Seb Costello on Twitter
- David Kramer on Twitter
- Paul Worsteling on Twitter
- Lauren Hilbert on Twitter
- Florencia Cavallo on Twitter
- Shane McInnes on Twitter
- Cushla Travers on Twitter
Does that special person you love in the army have a right to bail you up half pie-eyed in apub and think he is something special, by being in the army.I DONT THINK SO. He nearly had a broken jaw. Jingoism goes and comes with different generations but just because I was lucky not be drafted, for national service, does not mean my courage is les than anyone else.As it stands CURENTLY, I think the services are just a fill-in for some who cannot get work..Next time the loudmouth army kid might get what he wants.WATCH OUT ON ANZAC DAY..with the current crop of drips in the services with little life experience,there is trouble brewing.can'tdrink, can't mouth off Thursday 17 January, 2013 - 12:01 PM
The hollow apology of someone who actually doesn't understand or believe they have done/said anything wrong...
Tom concluded his defence by saying: "If I said the wrong thing I apologise."
Maybe it is because Tom has had everything handed to him in his life that he can't come to terms that he actually may have got something wrong.
What's wrong with "Yes, it wasn't right of me to say that. I can see how people would have been offended by by words. I apologise."
His apology is shallow and not worth a cracker.TomsALoser Tuesday 6 March, 2012 - 7:21 PM
@Steve you got me, proving you are so intelligent again, "leftie", bwahaha I love it when you call me names. By the way did you hear what the idiot said or is it O.K. because he is a right wing apologist? Well is it? By the way I have lost 2 Uncles from WW11 and a Grandfather from mustard gas in the Great War, so I love my army and wont have them insulted by anyone let a lone a nancy like Tom.Cheryl Monday 5 March, 2012 - 3:26 PM
As an ex serviceman I believe soldiers specially when sent to places like afganistan just like vietnam before should be there to kill the enemy and not embrace them. Otherwise just train a bunch of gays and send them to peace making parties. Not a problem.Laurie Monday 5 March, 2012 - 11:52 AM
typical tom bring back abbott,workchoices comment.garry Sunday 4 March, 2012 - 8:14 PM
Tom ,At least you are on the right side of politics?????and you do not lie,unlike another pollie which I will not "NAME".IAN BARKER Sunday 4 March, 2012 - 5:22 PM