- Two murdered with kids in the house
- One killed in South Yarra apartment fire
- Taxi driver jailed for raping teenage girl
- Soccer Match-fixer pleads guilty
- Myki confusion forces closure of Southern Cross info booth
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Reward offered for information on Grandmother's murder
- Western Bulldogs dump cheer squad
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Joseph Logan on Two murdered with kids in the house I am just wondering if a FamIly Law Court decision had anything to do with this this " domestic violence"? Like, one man ... more
- Gary on Myki confusion forces closure of ... MYKI was always a job for the boys and a way to milk the system for mates. When once I raised a question about long lunches ... more
- Graeme on Myki confusion forces closure of ... One big mistake the Libs did when they got into power....not scrap this crap system and return to the old one. If it isn't ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Western Bulldogs dump cheer squad The Bulldogs also new a new song and no more a silly cheer squad yelling Woof woof it is so stupid....the doggies are ..it. more
- Simon on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Just part of the legacy of Steve Bracks! I miss being able to ride a tram occasionally but its too damn difficult. I hope ... more
- Carole Campisano on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... Puneet is only concerned about his own welfare right now,it's all about him.He hasn't considered the poor victim's ... more
- jason on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 A great man who can now rest in peace. As for Mylene, you really are a weird miserable thing. more
- jason on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Another ripper Labor project which was estimated at $400,000 yet turned out to be the world's most expensive ticketing sytem ... more
- Christine on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... I totally agree with Trent's comments. This person has a nerve carrying on about how he thinks he will be treated, when he ... more
- Lukew on Myki confusion forces closure of ... I am not surprised. Myki confusion is reducing the number of people using public transport, especially casual users and ... more
- Gloss on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 You must all know by now that mylene never misses an opportunity to slag off at Tony and the Libs. Yes a true lefty with a ... more
- Steve on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... This gutless coward will be treated for what he is a hit and run driver and when there is a fatality he deserves to do time ... more
- Mark on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Oh Mylene - what a cuddly witty little lefty you are. Your lack of decency and judgement knows no boundaries. more
- trent on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... He won't be treated as a terrorist. He'll be treated as what he is - a coward and a reckless, worthless, uncaring killer. more
- Craig on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... This man needs to take responsibility and face what he did... more
- JamesD on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Just watched Mitchell's interview with Nelson - have to say I was surprised he was chosen to do it but he performed well more
- William Griffin on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Mylene never let a solemn moment like the death of Nelson Mandela to say something silly. The people have spoken wether we ... more
- William Griffin on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... What you do you not get Puneet you pleaded guilty to a crime now you are to be held to account you scream I am be treated ... more
- mylene on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Ironic we hear about the death of guy who united South Africa while Neil 'interviews' the man who's divided Australia. ;) more
- Tim on Having issues streaming 3AW? Have tried your suggestions but still no luck. Have had to swap our Companies on-hold station from 3AW to your rival FM ... more
Tom Elliott apologises for 'poor choice of words'
This latest controversy development comes just days after Yumi Stynes and George Negus were at the centre of outrage after making insensitive comments about Victoria Cross recipient Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith.
During the 2pm 'Right on the tip of my tongue' quiz on Sunday afternoon, Tom attempted to give a clue to a caller:
"The song was popular...back when being in the Australian army actually meant something, not just handing out water to starving people and things like that."
Today, Neil confronted Tom about his comment, to which Tom admitted a 'poor choice of words.'
"What I meant was the ads for the army. Back in the day if you joined the army you were taught to drive a tank, fire a gun, at the end of the day do the things we need the army to do," Tom Elliott told Neil Mitchell.
"Whereas today we focus on the humanitarian side of the army, possibly at the expense of what it should do, which is have a war-fighting capability."
Tom concluded his defence by saying: "If I said the wrong thing I apologise."
Listen to the Weekend Break audio clip and Neil confronting Tom below.
PLAY: Tom Elliott's Australian Army comment on the Weekend Break and his subsequent explanation on the Mornings Program
UPDATE: A caller to Neil Mitchell was so moved by the comments surrounding Ben Roberts-Smith that he & his family sent the Victoria Cross recipient a letter detailing what the defence force means to them. Early Friday morning they received a reply. Listen here.
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Neil Mitchell on Twitter
- Derryn Hinch on Twitter
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Tom Elliott on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Darren James on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Yvette Gray on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy on Twitter
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Denis O'Kane on Twitter
- Alexandra Factor on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Justin Smith on Twitter
- Nicole Denton on Twitter
- Shannon Reid on Twitter
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Seb Costello on Twitter
- David Kramer on Twitter
- Paul Worsteling on Twitter
- Lauren Hilbert on Twitter
- Florencia Cavallo on Twitter
- Shane McInnes on Twitter
- Cushla Travers on Twitter
Does that special person you love in the army have a right to bail you up half pie-eyed in apub and think he is something special, by being in the army.I DONT THINK SO. He nearly had a broken jaw. Jingoism goes and comes with different generations but just because I was lucky not be drafted, for national service, does not mean my courage is les than anyone else.As it stands CURENTLY, I think the services are just a fill-in for some who cannot get work..Next time the loudmouth army kid might get what he wants.WATCH OUT ON ANZAC DAY..with the current crop of drips in the services with little life experience,there is trouble brewing.can'tdrink, can't mouth off Thursday 17 January, 2013 - 12:01 PM
The hollow apology of someone who actually doesn't understand or believe they have done/said anything wrong...
Tom concluded his defence by saying: "If I said the wrong thing I apologise."
Maybe it is because Tom has had everything handed to him in his life that he can't come to terms that he actually may have got something wrong.
What's wrong with "Yes, it wasn't right of me to say that. I can see how people would have been offended by by words. I apologise."
His apology is shallow and not worth a cracker.TomsALoser Tuesday 6 March, 2012 - 7:21 PM
@Steve you got me, proving you are so intelligent again, "leftie", bwahaha I love it when you call me names. By the way did you hear what the idiot said or is it O.K. because he is a right wing apologist? Well is it? By the way I have lost 2 Uncles from WW11 and a Grandfather from mustard gas in the Great War, so I love my army and wont have them insulted by anyone let a lone a nancy like Tom.Cheryl Monday 5 March, 2012 - 3:26 PM
As an ex serviceman I believe soldiers specially when sent to places like afganistan just like vietnam before should be there to kill the enemy and not embrace them. Otherwise just train a bunch of gays and send them to peace making parties. Not a problem.Laurie Monday 5 March, 2012 - 11:52 AM
typical tom bring back abbott,workchoices comment.garry Sunday 4 March, 2012 - 8:14 PM
Tom ,At least you are on the right side of politics?????and you do not lie,unlike another pollie which I will not "NAME".IAN BARKER Sunday 4 March, 2012 - 5:22 PM