- Condition of sinkhole victim worsens
- 'Kids will give cricket away'
- Police swarm on Bandidos club in murder investigation
- Council caught dumping waste
- Hughes in critical condition
- Woman swallowed by sinkhole
- Special pup for family's last Christmas
- Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Susan on Special pup for family's last Christmas As Marie said I hope the new pup brings JOY to the family maybe they should rename it Joy 0r Faith or Hope but Pixie's cute ... more
- Carol on Special pup for family's last Christmas Well Done Neil!!This family are well deserving of this money and puppy!! Had me in years all morning! Beautiful bittersweet ... more
- jgl Melb on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo A visit to the nearest Bunnings would've sorted this earth shattering problem.Then again the complainant wouldn't have ... more
- kes from central victoria on Special pup for family's last Christmas Wow, amazing. Just when you think nobody cares this happens....such sad circumstances when the bulldog pup,who is just ... more
- Debs on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo What a crock of shite. You mean to say to me this guy couldn't go to Bunnings/Masters and fork out a measly $30 for a new ... more
- Marie on Special pup for family's last Christmas I cannot believe how this family have managed over the years with 2 of their 3 children so very sick. Being a mum myself I ... more
- Cere on Special pup for family's last Christmas Most amazing and so sad well done to Neil and everyone. The puppy is so beautiful and I know she will give all her love ... more
- Roma Vaccaro on Special pup for family's last Christmas I hope this little angel in the form of a pup brings the family much love and laughter. What a horrible thing for any ... more
- Debbie on Special pup for family's last Christmas Awesome response to an amazing family So happy they have a lil pup, she will certainly be very loved more
- Donny Blake on Special pup for family's last Christmas What a gorgeous little pup and will definitely go to a great home, although I am an one eyed boxer girl. more
- Tarielle on Special pup for family's last Christmas This little girl is absolutely gorgeous. What a very special gift she is. I hope she brings Sam and Ashley much love and ... more
- Andrea Murphy on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Maybe Riley has to turn the other cheek! more
- Dennis on Hundreds flee burning city apartment ... Apparantly Edihad is supplying food and drink to people affected by the fire. I hope they're not charging football prices. more
- Chris on Hundreds flee burning city apartment ... With all the media and fire fighters the dock lands population must have doubled last night. more
- Chris on Tenant wins $1K over crappy loo Any smart person would have put a new seat on $20 at bunnings and when they leave put the broken one back on. more
- Gloria on 'Corruption, abuse' and Yooralla I had written a cheque yesterday for Yooralla Appeal, will not decide whether to post it or not until investigations are ... more
- andy on Mark Williams diagnosed with cancer good luck more
- jgl Melb on Clive Palmer spits the dummy The punters are starting to twig to Clive (no I haven't s--t myself I only walk like it) Palmer. more
- Stephen on Clive Palmer spits the dummy This is what our stupid voting system gets us. Idiots voted in on hand full of votes and a bucket load of preferences that ... more
- greg on New-age helmet design I'm sure(NOT) that will prevent motorists from hitting cyclists. It's a dumb idea and the helmet is both hideous and ... more
Tom Elliott apologises for 'poor choice of words'
This latest controversy development comes just days after Yumi Stynes and George Negus were at the centre of outrage after making insensitive comments about Victoria Cross recipient Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith.
During the 2pm 'Right on the tip of my tongue' quiz on Sunday afternoon, Tom attempted to give a clue to a caller:
"The song was popular...back when being in the Australian army actually meant something, not just handing out water to starving people and things like that."
Today, Neil confronted Tom about his comment, to which Tom admitted a 'poor choice of words.'
"What I meant was the ads for the army. Back in the day if you joined the army you were taught to drive a tank, fire a gun, at the end of the day do the things we need the army to do," Tom Elliott told Neil Mitchell.
"Whereas today we focus on the humanitarian side of the army, possibly at the expense of what it should do, which is have a war-fighting capability."
Tom concluded his defence by saying: "If I said the wrong thing I apologise."
Listen to the Weekend Break audio clip and Neil confronting Tom below.
PLAY: Tom Elliott's Australian Army comment on the Weekend Break and his subsequent explanation on the Mornings Program
UPDATE: A caller to Neil Mitchell was so moved by the comments surrounding Ben Roberts-Smith that he & his family sent the Victoria Cross recipient a letter detailing what the defence force means to them. Early Friday morning they received a reply. Listen here.
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Neil Mitchell on Twitter
- Derryn Hinch on Twitter
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Tom Elliott on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Darren James on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Yvette Gray on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy on Twitter
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Denis O'Kane on Twitter
- Alexandra Factor on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Justin Smith on Twitter
- Nicole Denton on Twitter
- Shannon Reid on Twitter
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Seb Costello on Twitter
- David Kramer on Twitter
- Paul Worsteling on Twitter
- Lauren Hilbert on Twitter
- Florencia Cavallo on Twitter
- Shane McInnes on Twitter
- Cushla Travers on Twitter
Does that special person you love in the army have a right to bail you up half pie-eyed in apub and think he is something special, by being in the army.I DONT THINK SO. He nearly had a broken jaw. Jingoism goes and comes with different generations but just because I was lucky not be drafted, for national service, does not mean my courage is les than anyone else.As it stands CURENTLY, I think the services are just a fill-in for some who cannot get work..Next time the loudmouth army kid might get what he wants.WATCH OUT ON ANZAC DAY..with the current crop of drips in the services with little life experience,there is trouble brewing.can'tdrink, can't mouth off Thursday 17 January, 2013 - 12:01 PM
The hollow apology of someone who actually doesn't understand or believe they have done/said anything wrong...
Tom concluded his defence by saying: "If I said the wrong thing I apologise."
Maybe it is because Tom has had everything handed to him in his life that he can't come to terms that he actually may have got something wrong.
What's wrong with "Yes, it wasn't right of me to say that. I can see how people would have been offended by by words. I apologise."
His apology is shallow and not worth a cracker.TomsALoser Tuesday 6 March, 2012 - 7:21 PM
@Steve you got me, proving you are so intelligent again, "leftie", bwahaha I love it when you call me names. By the way did you hear what the idiot said or is it O.K. because he is a right wing apologist? Well is it? By the way I have lost 2 Uncles from WW11 and a Grandfather from mustard gas in the Great War, so I love my army and wont have them insulted by anyone let a lone a nancy like Tom.Cheryl Monday 5 March, 2012 - 3:26 PM
As an ex serviceman I believe soldiers specially when sent to places like afganistan just like vietnam before should be there to kill the enemy and not embrace them. Otherwise just train a bunch of gays and send them to peace making parties. Not a problem.Laurie Monday 5 March, 2012 - 11:52 AM
typical tom bring back abbott,workchoices comment.garry Sunday 4 March, 2012 - 8:14 PM
Tom ,At least you are on the right side of politics?????and you do not lie,unlike another pollie which I will not "NAME".IAN BARKER Sunday 4 March, 2012 - 5:22 PM