- On the road with Patty the poet cabbie
- Marathon hero, hamburger lover
- Peter Slipper found guilty
- Demons sign Paul Roos for another year
- Seal swims to South Yarra
- Police investigate football leg break
- Umpire reverses match-winning goal for 'faked' injury
- Woman badly burned in shocking Ardeer assault
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
Tom Elliott apologises for 'poor choice of words'
This latest controversy development comes just days after Yumi Stynes and George Negus were at the centre of outrage after making insensitive comments about Victoria Cross recipient Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith.
During the 2pm 'Right on the tip of my tongue' quiz on Sunday afternoon, Tom attempted to give a clue to a caller:
"The song was popular...back when being in the Australian army actually meant something, not just handing out water to starving people and things like that."
Today, Neil confronted Tom about his comment, to which Tom admitted a 'poor choice of words.'
"What I meant was the ads for the army. Back in the day if you joined the army you were taught to drive a tank, fire a gun, at the end of the day do the things we need the army to do," Tom Elliott told Neil Mitchell.
"Whereas today we focus on the humanitarian side of the army, possibly at the expense of what it should do, which is have a war-fighting capability."
Tom concluded his defence by saying: "If I said the wrong thing I apologise."
Listen to the Weekend Break audio clip and Neil confronting Tom below.
PLAY: Tom Elliott's Australian Army comment on the Weekend Break and his subsequent explanation on the Mornings Program
UPDATE: A caller to Neil Mitchell was so moved by the comments surrounding Ben Roberts-Smith that he & his family sent the Victoria Cross recipient a letter detailing what the defence force means to them. Early Friday morning they received a reply. Listen here.
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Neil Mitchell on Twitter
- Derryn Hinch on Twitter
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Tom Elliott on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Darren James on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Yvette Gray on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy on Twitter
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Denis O'Kane on Twitter
- Alexandra Factor on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Justin Smith on Twitter
- Nicole Denton on Twitter
- Shannon Reid on Twitter
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Seb Costello on Twitter
- David Kramer on Twitter
- Paul Worsteling on Twitter
- Lauren Hilbert on Twitter
- Florencia Cavallo on Twitter
- Shane McInnes on Twitter
- Cushla Travers on Twitter
Does that special person you love in the army have a right to bail you up half pie-eyed in apub and think he is something special, by being in the army.I DONT THINK SO. He nearly had a broken jaw. Jingoism goes and comes with different generations but just because I was lucky not be drafted, for national service, does not mean my courage is les than anyone else.As it stands CURENTLY, I think the services are just a fill-in for some who cannot get work..Next time the loudmouth army kid might get what he wants.WATCH OUT ON ANZAC DAY..with the current crop of drips in the services with little life experience,there is trouble brewing.can'tdrink, can't mouth off Thursday 17 January, 2013 - 12:01 PM
The hollow apology of someone who actually doesn't understand or believe they have done/said anything wrong...
Tom concluded his defence by saying: "If I said the wrong thing I apologise."
Maybe it is because Tom has had everything handed to him in his life that he can't come to terms that he actually may have got something wrong.
What's wrong with "Yes, it wasn't right of me to say that. I can see how people would have been offended by by words. I apologise."
His apology is shallow and not worth a cracker.TomsALoser Tuesday 6 March, 2012 - 7:21 PM
@Steve you got me, proving you are so intelligent again, "leftie", bwahaha I love it when you call me names. By the way did you hear what the idiot said or is it O.K. because he is a right wing apologist? Well is it? By the way I have lost 2 Uncles from WW11 and a Grandfather from mustard gas in the Great War, so I love my army and wont have them insulted by anyone let a lone a nancy like Tom.Cheryl Monday 5 March, 2012 - 3:26 PM
As an ex serviceman I believe soldiers specially when sent to places like afganistan just like vietnam before should be there to kill the enemy and not embrace them. Otherwise just train a bunch of gays and send them to peace making parties. Not a problem.Laurie Monday 5 March, 2012 - 11:52 AM
typical tom bring back abbott,workchoices comment.garry Sunday 4 March, 2012 - 8:14 PM
Tom ,At least you are on the right side of politics?????and you do not lie,unlike another pollie which I will not "NAME".IAN BARKER Sunday 4 March, 2012 - 5:22 PM