- One dead, four trapped after Great Ocean Road tourist bus crash
- Video: Bike smashes into car on Clarendon St
- Earthquake hits Greenvale, Epping, Lalor and Roxburgh Park
- Man killed in Wodonga bobcat accident
- Childcare system 'nonsense'
- Paul Dale, Rodney Collins excused from giving evidence
- Fog to cause Melbourne Airport delays
- Scissor bandit can't open cash till
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
- Marlene Gow on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' I wonder how Malthouse would've reacted if some other football identity spoke in that manner to his own daughter those few ... more
- kim on Victorian town's HIV scare Re the Dr Lester interview. It was said earlier in the morning - somewhere between 530 & 630 that the health professional ... more
- Faye on Young Aussies gored in bull run GO BULLS !! more
- Kevin on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' Good manners and decency cost nothing and go such a long way. Mick simply needs to be nice to people, it's not ... more
- Mark Ellison on Victorian town's HIV scare How does "coming into contact" with an HIV infected person, carry a risk? I presume the Health Professional isn't providing ... more
- Matt on Fans ripped-off by Tyson 'Meet & Greet' That is why I picked up the iron, him in the spa. more
- Amanda on Ice town: Victorian region's ... I know of a group of users in Neerim Sth. Folks should take a more loving stance on the unfortunate statement the journalist ... more
Tom Elliott apologises for 'poor choice of words'
This latest controversy development comes just days after Yumi Stynes and George Negus were at the centre of outrage after making insensitive comments about Victoria Cross recipient Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith.
During the 2pm 'Right on the tip of my tongue' quiz on Sunday afternoon, Tom attempted to give a clue to a caller:
"The song was popular...back when being in the Australian army actually meant something, not just handing out water to starving people and things like that."
Today, Neil confronted Tom about his comment, to which Tom admitted a 'poor choice of words.'
"What I meant was the ads for the army. Back in the day if you joined the army you were taught to drive a tank, fire a gun, at the end of the day do the things we need the army to do," Tom Elliott told Neil Mitchell.
"Whereas today we focus on the humanitarian side of the army, possibly at the expense of what it should do, which is have a war-fighting capability."
Tom concluded his defence by saying: "If I said the wrong thing I apologise."
Listen to the Weekend Break audio clip and Neil confronting Tom below.
PLAY: Tom Elliott's Australian Army comment on the Weekend Break and his subsequent explanation on the Mornings Program
UPDATE: A caller to Neil Mitchell was so moved by the comments surrounding Ben Roberts-Smith that he & his family sent the Victoria Cross recipient a letter detailing what the defence force means to them. Early Friday morning they received a reply. Listen here.
Constantly on the go? Want to know what's happening in your world? Let 3AW keep you up to speed with the aid of social facilitator Twitter. News, views and the most interactive Twitter feed in Australian media.
- Neil Mitchell on Twitter
- Derryn Hinch on Twitter
- Ross and John on Twitter
- Brian Taylor on Twitter
- 3AW Football on Twitter
- Tom Elliott on Twitter
- Denis Walter on Twitter
- Darren James on Twitter
- Dwayne Russell on Twitter
- Matt Richo on Twitter
- Yvette Gray on Twitter
- Heidi Murphy on Twitter
- Tony Tardio on Twitter
- Denis O'Kane on Twitter
- Alexandra Factor on Twitter
- Donna Demaio on Twitter
- Justin Smith on Twitter
- Nicole Denton on Twitter
- Shannon Reid on Twitter
- Simon Owens on Twitter
- Seb Costello on Twitter
- David Kramer on Twitter
- Paul Worsteling on Twitter
- Lauren Hilbert on Twitter
- Florencia Cavallo on Twitter
- Shane McInnes on Twitter
- Cushla Travers on Twitter
Does that special person you love in the army have a right to bail you up half pie-eyed in apub and think he is something special, by being in the army.I DONT THINK SO. He nearly had a broken jaw. Jingoism goes and comes with different generations but just because I was lucky not be drafted, for national service, does not mean my courage is les than anyone else.As it stands CURENTLY, I think the services are just a fill-in for some who cannot get work..Next time the loudmouth army kid might get what he wants.WATCH OUT ON ANZAC DAY..with the current crop of drips in the services with little life experience,there is trouble brewing.can'tdrink, can't mouth off Thursday 17 January, 2013 - 12:01 PM
The hollow apology of someone who actually doesn't understand or believe they have done/said anything wrong...
Tom concluded his defence by saying: "If I said the wrong thing I apologise."
Maybe it is because Tom has had everything handed to him in his life that he can't come to terms that he actually may have got something wrong.
What's wrong with "Yes, it wasn't right of me to say that. I can see how people would have been offended by by words. I apologise."
His apology is shallow and not worth a cracker.TomsALoser Tuesday 6 March, 2012 - 7:21 PM
@Steve you got me, proving you are so intelligent again, "leftie", bwahaha I love it when you call me names. By the way did you hear what the idiot said or is it O.K. because he is a right wing apologist? Well is it? By the way I have lost 2 Uncles from WW11 and a Grandfather from mustard gas in the Great War, so I love my army and wont have them insulted by anyone let a lone a nancy like Tom.Cheryl Monday 5 March, 2012 - 3:26 PM
As an ex serviceman I believe soldiers specially when sent to places like afganistan just like vietnam before should be there to kill the enemy and not embrace them. Otherwise just train a bunch of gays and send them to peace making parties. Not a problem.Laurie Monday 5 March, 2012 - 11:52 AM
typical tom bring back abbott,workchoices comment.garry Sunday 4 March, 2012 - 8:14 PM
Tom ,At least you are on the right side of politics?????and you do not lie,unlike another pollie which I will not "NAME".IAN BARKER Sunday 4 March, 2012 - 5:22 PM