- Man arrested after home invasion
- Hird to play no part at Essendon in 2014
- Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations against Labor
- Queen photobombs Comm Games selfie
- One dead, four trapped after Great Ocean Road tourist bus crash
- Video: Bike smashes into car on Clarendon St
- Earthquake hits Greenvale, Epping, Lalor and Roxburgh Park
- Man killed in Wodonga bobcat accident
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
Two dead in motorcycle collision
Two people have died in a traffic accident on Westall Road Extension in Dingley this morning.
The rider of a motorcycle and his male pillion passenger, both believed to be aged in their early 20s, died at the scene after colliding with a truck at around 7:45am this morning.
Victoria Police Senior Sergeant Simon Humphrey told Neil Mitchell the bodies were yet to be identified.
Mr Humphrey said witnesses indicated speed was a possible factor.
MICA Paramedic who attended the scene, Al Gailey, told Neil Mitchell when he arrived the driver of the motorcycle was already deceased, with crews working on the passenger for ten to fifteen minutes before pronouncing him dead.
An off-duty nurse and doctor assisted paramedics at the scene.
The area is a construction zone and has a 40 kilometre per hour speed limit.
Accident on Westall Road extension. (Photo: C Michell)
Mark told Neil Mitchell he witnessed the motorcycle fly past him.
"The car made a right-hand turn into Westall Road from Rowans Road and the motorbike undertook another car in the outside lane and just slammed into the side of a truck full throttle," he said.
Mark said a nurse and doctor worked on one of the riders at the scene. He said he also consoled the driver of the truck who told him, he tried to miss the motorbike, but it came at him too fast.
Anyone who may have witnessed the crash or with any information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au
LISTEN: Mark speaks with Neil Mitchell:
I really hate the way that 3AW reported this crash all day as the motorcycle was hit by a truck , it wasnt , the truck was hit by the motorcycle. Im a truck driver and daily motorcycle rider. I also hate the way Mitchell loves blaming trucks any chance he gets.Rick Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 5:35 PM
Riders are not allowed to lane split. Rule 146 states that you must stay completely in one lane while driving, unless there is an obstruction.
Any road user travelling at a speed so vastly different to every other road user is bound to come to grief.Alan Quarendon Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 4:53 PM
What this rider did is common and can be fatal,if something goes wrong too fast to stop also!Mexican Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 3:00 PM
Carol,This was no accident it was a "CRASH".?????IAN Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 1:39 PM
How does lane splitting even come into this? If the bike was lane splitting as they were going through the intersection the truck was going to cut off the other car, If the bike did lane split to get in front of the car he would of been completely visible to the truck and the truck simply cut off the bike.
Whatever way you cut it the bike was going straight the truck was turning.
This story stinks the motorcyclist is the victim here.Michael Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 12:22 PM
No, lane spliiting is not illegal. It is not clearly defined in any law, and is one of the most miss-understood subjects on the face of the earth today. As a motorcycle rider, who practices Lane Filtering quite often I offer this solution - Promote to riders the safe way to do it, and make that information public - as they do in the UK, where the police actually teach riders how to do it, have doctrine written about it etc. All riders filter at one time or another. Some, just don't understand or know how to do it safely. Filtering requires an understanding of car driver behaviour, an ability to recognise situations and locations where more caution must be exercised. No amount of enforcement or changing the law is going to make any difference. Teach riders the safe techniques to apply when practicing the art of Lane Filtering and perhaps we will see less accidents like this one today. An tell car drivers to expect to see riders Lane Filtering, so that they can look out for riders filtering from behind them.John Karmouche Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 11:46 AM