- Taxi driver jailed for raping teenage girl
- Soccer Match-fixer pleads guilty
- Myki confusion forces closure of Southern Cross info booth
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Reward offered for information on Grandmother's murder
- Western Bulldogs dump cheer squad
- 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': Puneet
- Victoria shivers through coldest December day in seven years
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Simon on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Just part of the legacy of Steve Bracks! I miss being able to ride a tram occasionally but its too damn difficult. I hope ... more
- Carole Campisano on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... Puneet is only concerned about his own welfare right now,it's all about him.He hasn't considered the poor victim's ... more
- jason on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 A great man who can now rest in peace. As for Mylene, you really are a weird miserable thing. more
- jason on Myki confusion forces closure of ... Another ripper Labor project which was estimated at $400,000 yet turned out to be the world's most expensive ticketing sytem ... more
- Christine on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... I totally agree with Trent's comments. This person has a nerve carrying on about how he thinks he will be treated, when he ... more
- Lukew on Myki confusion forces closure of ... I am not surprised. Myki confusion is reducing the number of people using public transport, especially casual users and ... more
- Gloss on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 You must all know by now that mylene never misses an opportunity to slag off at Tony and the Libs. Yes a true lefty with a ... more
- Steve on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... This gutless coward will be treated for what he is a hit and run driver and when there is a fatality he deserves to do time ... more
- Mark on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Oh Mylene - what a cuddly witty little lefty you are. Your lack of decency and judgement knows no boundaries. more
- trent on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... He won't be treated as a terrorist. He'll be treated as what he is - a coward and a reckless, worthless, uncaring killer. more
- Craig on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... This man needs to take responsibility and face what he did... more
- JamesD on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Just watched Mitchell's interview with Nelson - have to say I was surprised he was chosen to do it but he performed well more
- William Griffin on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Mylene never let a solemn moment like the death of Nelson Mandela to say something silly. The people have spoken wether we ... more
- William Griffin on 'I'll be treated like a terrorist': ... What you do you not get Puneet you pleaded guilty to a crime now you are to be held to account you scream I am be treated ... more
- mylene on Nelson Mandela dies at 95 Ironic we hear about the death of guy who united South Africa while Neil 'interviews' the man who's divided Australia. ;) more
- Tim on Having issues streaming 3AW? Have tried your suggestions but still no luck. Have had to swap our Companies on-hold station from 3AW to your rival FM ... more
- Janet Saunders on Having issues streaming 3AW? I am sick of the 3aw dropping out all the time, I changed to chrome, but no better. I think I need to change radio stations, ... more
- Mick on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs Joyce has gone from trimming QANTAS to destroying it. It seems he is hell bent on making it fail. He is ruining one of the ... more
- Peter on Having issues streaming 3AW? Since you have updated the streaming side to 3AW I can no longer listen at work :( I can not change any browser settings as ... more
- Aria Judilla on Qantas to cut 1000 jobs These job cuts are brought to you by Qantas management. The same management who recently begged shareholders for extra money ... more
Two dead in motorcycle collision
Two people have died in a traffic accident on Westall Road Extension in Dingley this morning.
The rider of a motorcycle and his male pillion passenger, both believed to be aged in their early 20s, died at the scene after colliding with a truck at around 7:45am this morning.
Victoria Police Senior Sergeant Simon Humphrey told Neil Mitchell the bodies were yet to be identified.
Mr Humphrey said witnesses indicated speed was a possible factor.
MICA Paramedic who attended the scene, Al Gailey, told Neil Mitchell when he arrived the driver of the motorcycle was already deceased, with crews working on the passenger for ten to fifteen minutes before pronouncing him dead.
An off-duty nurse and doctor assisted paramedics at the scene.
The area is a construction zone and has a 40 kilometre per hour speed limit.
Accident on Westall Road extension. (Photo: C Michell)
Mark told Neil Mitchell he witnessed the motorcycle fly past him.
"The car made a right-hand turn into Westall Road from Rowans Road and the motorbike undertook another car in the outside lane and just slammed into the side of a truck full throttle," he said.
Mark said a nurse and doctor worked on one of the riders at the scene. He said he also consoled the driver of the truck who told him, he tried to miss the motorbike, but it came at him too fast.
Anyone who may have witnessed the crash or with any information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au
LISTEN: Mark speaks with Neil Mitchell:
I really hate the way that 3AW reported this crash all day as the motorcycle was hit by a truck , it wasnt , the truck was hit by the motorcycle. Im a truck driver and daily motorcycle rider. I also hate the way Mitchell loves blaming trucks any chance he gets.Rick Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 5:35 PM
Riders are not allowed to lane split. Rule 146 states that you must stay completely in one lane while driving, unless there is an obstruction.
Any road user travelling at a speed so vastly different to every other road user is bound to come to grief.Alan Quarendon Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 4:53 PM
What this rider did is common and can be fatal,if something goes wrong too fast to stop also!Mexican Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 3:00 PM
Carol,This was no accident it was a "CRASH".?????IAN Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 1:39 PM
How does lane splitting even come into this? If the bike was lane splitting as they were going through the intersection the truck was going to cut off the other car, If the bike did lane split to get in front of the car he would of been completely visible to the truck and the truck simply cut off the bike.
Whatever way you cut it the bike was going straight the truck was turning.
This story stinks the motorcyclist is the victim here.Michael Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 12:22 PM
No, lane spliiting is not illegal. It is not clearly defined in any law, and is one of the most miss-understood subjects on the face of the earth today. As a motorcycle rider, who practices Lane Filtering quite often I offer this solution - Promote to riders the safe way to do it, and make that information public - as they do in the UK, where the police actually teach riders how to do it, have doctrine written about it etc. All riders filter at one time or another. Some, just don't understand or know how to do it safely. Filtering requires an understanding of car driver behaviour, an ability to recognise situations and locations where more caution must be exercised. No amount of enforcement or changing the law is going to make any difference. Teach riders the safe techniques to apply when practicing the art of Lane Filtering and perhaps we will see less accidents like this one today. An tell car drivers to expect to see riders Lane Filtering, so that they can look out for riders filtering from behind them.John Karmouche Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 11:46 AM