- Marathon hero, hamburger lover
- Peter Slipper found guilty
- Demons sign Paul Roos for another year
- Seal swims to South Yarra
- Police investigate football leg break
- Umpire reverses match-winning goal for 'faked' injury
- Woman badly burned in shocking Ardeer assault
- Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Jennifer Adams on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow How come Canada are not winning many medals ? They usually do well. more
- IBARKER on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Sounds like Soccer to me ???Or sooo callllll ball. more
- Joe Garra on Umpire reverses match-winning goal for ... Excellent common sense decision! more
- Terri on Made it!: Ross and John in Glasgow Hi Ross and JohnYou should go to my cousins sweets shop in Glasgow.http://www.glickmans.co.uk/ this is the website, lots and ... more
- Gloria on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... What I find hard to believe is that a journo could lose/mislay such an important piece of equipment, I would be guarding it ... more
- Christine on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Let me be clear is another popular line, well let me be clear Labor - you are absolutely good for nothing. You and your ... more
- mylene on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The Age and Labor are basically the same organization. One stealing from the other is like junior 'borrowing' the car to go ... more
- bc on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Its all about one big liberals bitching about other liberals telling us how bad and dirty they really are thats all we need ... more
- Ricta on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... poppit & Stephen, Touche'.This story is exactly how the ALP behave in every facet of politics. Can't win honesty? Cheat.And ... more
- poppitt on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... Mr Andrews I can hear your words in my ears...Now Let Me Be Honest Here...Now Let Me just say....what a whole lot of HUMBUG ... more
- Stephen on Tape scandal: 'Criminal' allegations ... The labor party and their Union thugs make my skin crawl!! The party of sleeze and corruption! Why do people keep voting for ... more
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
VIDEO: Neil Mitchell driving a truck
Last week Neil went to Sandown racetrack for an afternoon of intense truck driver training
It's the first time he's ever been behind the wheel of a vehicle that big!
Watch what unfolded below or for the full story watch A Current Affair tonight (12/12/12).
NEIL MITCHELL: I Want to talk to truckies and to car drivers because I now understand.....a little.
But this is what happened with the help of Mercedes Benz and the chief driving instructor from Cameron (The Trucking Company)
I learned how to drive a massive Semi Trailer. A half million dollar Mercedes Benz transporter with more wheels than I’ve had hot dinners.
And then they simulated traffic conditions with four and five cars running around me as I drove.
A Mercedes, a little smart car and an M-Class
Another half million dollars worth of cars.
So I was in the middle of a million dollar experiment and could theoretically do a million dollars damage.
LISTEN BELOW: Neil Mitchell's interview with Driver Instructor Gary Miller
WATCH: Neil Mitchell driving a semi-trailer truck
Now.....This happened because I have criticised truckies for years
And they have said ‘You don’t understand.
So I set out to understand. The feelings, the pressure and it is extraordinary.
It is right outside the comfort zone
The truck was automatic which made it easier but I even had trouble climbing up into it initially.
It was state of the art Mercedes Automatic baking to some extent when it sense the car in front of you
But I still managed to scare the living daylights out of my instructor.
But I was better than Martin King from ACA. I drove for hours and hit nothing.
He drove for 5 minutes and took a chunk off a tree (..and the truck!)
Well done Neil, now you may know how to drive properly.
I got my HC licence with DECA some 30 years ago, not to become a truck driver but to become a better driver.
I spent 4 days up at DECA's slick pan in Sheparton where they teach you how to get out of all possible scenarios and when you get out on the pan and are driving in a straight line at 100 Kph and the Instructor turns the wheel hard left and you see the back of the trailer coming around in the left mirror you just know something is wrong but the training enables you to correct the out of control truck and get it back on track.
We were also taught how to bring a Semi to a stop after a front wheel blowout using a combination of Trailer Braking and Prime Mover acceleration, amazing stuff.
Now I rarely use my central mirror and rely mostly on my outside mirrors and I have a much enhanced knowledge of what to expect from all road users but especially the big trucks and B-Doubles.
Sincerely .......... Steve Gregory.Steve Gregory Wednesday 30 January, 2013 - 9:08 AM
"Neil Mitchell drives a truck" - we are hitting the bottom of the barrel. What next? - Neil Mitchell farts in an elevator or Neil Mitchell dresses to the left. Pretty serious stuff 3AW! Bring it on.Ivan@kinnane Saturday 22 December, 2012 - 7:16 PM
All that footage was within the grounds of Sandown race course so he didn't need to have any signage displayedWarren Wednesday 19 December, 2012 - 7:11 PM
Neil, congrats on finally putting your money where your mouth is and having a go at trying to learn een an nth per cent of what we have to contend with. Now if only the trucking industry, hopefully with your help now, could only persuade the rest of your journalistic brethren to put up or shut up about the industry that keeps this country alive. My only disappointment in what is in my opinion your very frank and open assessment that our job is too hard to do, is that instead of Channel 9 sending Mike King to the course with you they should have sent Mike Munro. I'm sure that after 30 minutes of driving even that very easy to operate Benz he'd hae had a change of heart about his relentless crusade against our industry and might even have finally apologised for calling us terrorists all those years ago! Thanks for at least haing the balls to try and learn what we have to go through.Rod Steen Friday 14 December, 2012 - 7:13 PM
Well done for having a crack Neil hopefully your voice will make some people listen,but until we can get TAC onside for some truck awareness TV adds things wont change alot. It should be part of getting your learners permit that you spend 5 hours of your 120 hours in a truck. If we can teach kids road safety and rules in grade 5 or 6 before they become smartarse teenagers we will go a long way to making our roads safer. Oh and after 3 million kms in the last 21 years i do have abit of an ideaKevin Friday 14 December, 2012 - 6:07 PM
@Matt-proudly Un-Australian, please do us all a favour.
1) Don't listen to 3AW if it's so bad.
2)If you still choose to listen don't comment.
3) Better still, leave this country that you hate so much!
Will 3Aw publish this? I doubt it..CC Thursday 13 December, 2012 - 8:08 PM