- Mum killer was on parole for rape
- Parolee killer jailed for life
- Corcoran wants out of Essendon
- Apollo theatre ceiling collapses
- Two murder charges over Wayne Amey death
- Abbott must renege on promises: Kennett
- Ashes theft: 'They steal your memories'
- Protests: East-West drilling begins
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- bushiepete on Parolee killer jailed for life justice hollingworth thank you you got this right.. more
- jgl Melb on Parolee killer jailed for life It appears the community outrage at ridiculously lenient sentencing is at last being heard. more
- Christine on Protests: East-West drilling begins So let's do a poll on how many tax payers are happy about the time police are spending at this site. If you're not dole ... more
- Logic on Protests: East-West drilling begins Carol. The fact that most people do not want the tunnel was confirmed by last month's Neilsen poll. That's where the 74% ... more
- Jan Lannan on Corcoran wants out of Essendon So another 1 has left the sinking ship so much 4 staying 2gether thru thick & thin when Carlton we down we all stuck thru ... more
- Lisa on Abbott must renege on promises: Kennett We never got a hand-out in years gone past. We saved to have our Children. What is the Country coming to, just throw out ... more
- mandy on Donna, Mandy to be excused What a bunch of low life losers that poor child never stood a chance its a shame child protection authorities here don't do ... more
- mandy on Abbott must renege on promises: Kennett I couldn't agree with Jeff more scrap the paid parental leave and sort out important priorities. more
- Samuel J on Protester, 60, claims she was 'punched ... Rosie got what she deserved. Law and order must prevail in this country. The police were doing their job. more
- Logic on Protests: East-West drilling begins Can we please have the Doncaster rail that was promised instead? No protests, nobody forced from their home, jobs created, ... more
- ian on Protests: East-West drilling begins Bring the water cannons in. more
- Pradman on Ashes theft: 'They steal your memories' '...other valuable items'? more
- PJ on 'Haters will hate': Tim Wilson He's not a socialist do the Lefties have filled his Twitter full of tweets of hate.And then this from the President of the ... more
- Willow on Abbott must renege on promises: Kennett I am a Liberal devotee but if I was to turn against Mr Abbott it would be the Paid Parental Scheme that would do it. ... more
- Justin on Protests: East-West drilling begins I wonder how Stephen Mayne's union colleagues feel about him protesting against long term infrastructure works for ... more
- Peggy on Donna, Mandy to be excused It doens't make sense why these women are excused when there reason to believe this poor child was tortured.Who are they ... more
- Carol on Protests: East-West drilling begins Yeh right... Kate.. 74% dont want it???.. I would count again, seems more WANT it than dont from the people I speak to... ... more
- Dee on Protests: East-West drilling begins Measuring the support of protesters by how many "likes" a Facebook page gets? Bahahahaha Do these people live in the real ... more
- Justin on Protests: East-West drilling begins I was involved in the protest against the North South Pipeline. The ALP at the time and the inner city latte set labelled us ... more
- Linda on Protests: East-West drilling begins @ Mandy. My husband has attended many protest, including the McDonalds protest in Tecoma. It is the aim of protesters to get ... more
What is a human life worth?
West Australian National MP Tony Crook has scuttled Julie Gillard's plans to send 800 illegal refugees to Malaysia in return for 4,000 refugees already detained in that country.
His reason for not agreeing with the proposal is due to Malaysia not being a party to the United Nations Refugee Conventions mandate.
Nauru is a signatory to this convention and Tony Crook said he would agree to the refugees being sent there which is the alternative proposal being put forward by the opposition.
This refugee debate is so highly politicised it is difficult to know whether the most important people in this debate and those being the refuges, whether their best interests are being looked after by any of the political parties.
There is no doubt as well that there is more opposition to the proposal of off shore processing than what there was twelve months ago. What is also quite evident is that we are no closer to a solution to this ongoing problem today than we were twelve months ago as well.
The obvious debate that is occurring now is do we need to process offshore and detain refugees to discourage them from risking their lives in non seaworthy vessels. We still do not have an accurate assessment of how many refugees drown attempting to make it to our shores.
What is not in dispute though is that there are going to be more and more disaffected people seeking refugee status not only in Australia but any country where they feel their life can be improved compared to where they are now.
The estimated cost of the Malaysian solution is reported to be around 296 million dollars which equates to about $60,000 per person to transport and process.
This is one of the only issues being debated in this country at the moment where cost is not relevant. Human life all of a sudden is not worth much.
Well said Jan,Polya's comments are clearly racist against western countries,he fails to mention the cruel barbaric treatment of women and children in muslim countries by their own people>!!Steve Friday 14 October, 2011 - 4:04 PM
Dr Gideon, do you ever complain about the persecution Christians get in those countries or do you feel sorry for the Muslims only?Peggy Friday 14 October, 2011 - 3:54 PM
Gideon Polya, you forget to mention the gender abuse & genocide committed by Muslim countries. The treatment of females within Islam ideology is disgusting and brutal, I am sure you are aware as recently as this week a woman has been sentenced to 90 lashes and a year imprisonment for appearing in a film, never mind the ongoing daily abuse these women suffer.
I am sure you are aware of the appalling treatment of women in Somalia, Afghanistan, Pakistan and many other Muslim countries, you forget to note your own racism coming through so clearly do you not?Jan Friday 14 October, 2011 - 2:53 PM
Well if you ask me, National MP Tony Crook has just betrayed his country to international people smugglers. Roll out the welcoming mat because here they come. 600 a month and counting. Maybe Crook should accommodate them in his own electorate since he's so worried about their international human rights. LIKE HELL HE WILL!!!Crook by Name... Friday 14 October, 2011 - 12:58 PM
Lost in all the debate is the reality that 20 million Muslim refugees in the world today are variously fleeing US or US-backed violence in Occupied Somalia (2.0 million), Occupied Palestine (7 million), Occupied Iraq (5-6 million), Occupied Afghanistan (3-4 million) and US robot-bombed NW Pakistan (2 million) (Google "Muslim Holocaust, Muslim Genocide"). Former PM Kevin Rudd described those trying to find safe haven for desperate refugees as "scum of the earth who should rot in hell". How then should we describe the racist and war mongering Americans, Zionists, Australians and other Europeans who drove 20 million Muslim refugees (over 50% children) out of their Homelands in the first place. Genocide is defined by Article 2 of the UN Genocide Convention as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part a national, ethnic, racial or religious group" and is vastly more serious than so-called "people smuggling".Dr Gideon Polya Friday 14 October, 2011 - 11:35 AM
Can somebody PLEASE stop Peter Maher from "contributing" to 3AW drive?
Don't the management of 3AW listen to their listeners?
Many have said how glad they were when he was replaced. Pay attention or you are going to lose your base just like Gillard has for the same reason.
I switch stations when I hear his voice too.Peggy Thursday 13 October, 2011 - 9:43 PM