- Hird, Essendon have their days in court
- 'G, that's rough: Tigers unhappy
- Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no standing zone
- One dead in Tarneit crash
- Postal pong leaves workers ill
- Armed bandit flees with Sunbury United cash
- Man fights for life after Dandenong car crash
- Police hunt injured thief
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- IBARKER on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Tell him to walk and if he does he might loose one of those "CHINS". more
- Atticus on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... He parked put the front so that porky would not have to walk too far.Disgrace. more
- James on Caught out: Lord Mayor's car in no ... Why didn't 3AW give him a spot in the visitor car park if he is expected/a regular guest? more
- Bugs54 on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If you park your car on the nature strip the council will say it's their land and fine you,yet they want you to mow it and ... more
- Mr Gararth on Monash Council to fine you for not ... No wonder Rudd dropped Geoff Lake as the candidate for Hotham last year. Get out of our lives local government! more
- KANE on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Melbournians are going to be 'Taxed, Dutied, Priced, Tar riffed, Levied, Excised, Pork Barreled OUT OF EXISTANCE!!! more
- Geoff on Monash Council to fine you for not ... Easy solution to the problem. If the council don't want to look after their own land ie the nature strips, just give the ... more
- mylene on Monash Council to fine you for not ... If Darebin council tried this they'd make a billion dollars before the sun went down. more
- bc on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' get WADA to come in over the top and give the killer blow stuff the AFL and hird and doctor little more
- Rod on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' What's Paul Little talking about. They have only been in court for 3 days. If Essendon don't get some sort of penalty, Then ... more
- Mooroolbark Mick on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' "Swepped" indicates the level of intelligence we have in this debate. I give up! more
- Peter Flynn on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Yes we the footy public do want to know and if the Essendon Football Club and James Hird were not gagged maybe we would. And ... more
- Docklands on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Show Cause Notices Issued.Essendon shows bokk of what was given and on what dates and to who ?Notices withdrawn. What has ... more
- Arthur Hiliard on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' If these footy "sportsman" have nothing to hide they should be welcoming any investigation! Seems they're a bit shocked to ... more
- David on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' We haven't got deal fatigue. We want to see Essendon held to account. Let the charges be heard! The public wants to see ... more
- iain on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' More political interference is not what is required here. We need allegations of doping heard and either cleared or ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' This is a waste of taxpayers money the courts have more urgent cases to deal with. more
- Sid on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' Guilty as sin but not an iota of evidence or positive test to support these claims?Everyone has a problem saying the Bombers ... more
- Christine on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' For people who actively listen, and have no agenda, Paul Little has conducted himself impeccably throughout this drawn-out ... more
- Nigel on Essendon looks for 'circuit breaker' No Mr Little, the whole community hasn't got deal fatigue, it's sick and tired of Essendonâ?¢ trying to stall/block ... more
What is a human life worth?
West Australian National MP Tony Crook has scuttled Julie Gillard's plans to send 800 illegal refugees to Malaysia in return for 4,000 refugees already detained in that country.
His reason for not agreeing with the proposal is due to Malaysia not being a party to the United Nations Refugee Conventions mandate.
Nauru is a signatory to this convention and Tony Crook said he would agree to the refugees being sent there which is the alternative proposal being put forward by the opposition.
This refugee debate is so highly politicised it is difficult to know whether the most important people in this debate and those being the refuges, whether their best interests are being looked after by any of the political parties.
There is no doubt as well that there is more opposition to the proposal of off shore processing than what there was twelve months ago. What is also quite evident is that we are no closer to a solution to this ongoing problem today than we were twelve months ago as well.
The obvious debate that is occurring now is do we need to process offshore and detain refugees to discourage them from risking their lives in non seaworthy vessels. We still do not have an accurate assessment of how many refugees drown attempting to make it to our shores.
What is not in dispute though is that there are going to be more and more disaffected people seeking refugee status not only in Australia but any country where they feel their life can be improved compared to where they are now.
The estimated cost of the Malaysian solution is reported to be around 296 million dollars which equates to about $60,000 per person to transport and process.
This is one of the only issues being debated in this country at the moment where cost is not relevant. Human life all of a sudden is not worth much.
Well said Jan,Polya's comments are clearly racist against western countries,he fails to mention the cruel barbaric treatment of women and children in muslim countries by their own people>!!Steve Friday 14 October, 2011 - 4:04 PM
Dr Gideon, do you ever complain about the persecution Christians get in those countries or do you feel sorry for the Muslims only?Peggy Friday 14 October, 2011 - 3:54 PM
Gideon Polya, you forget to mention the gender abuse & genocide committed by Muslim countries. The treatment of females within Islam ideology is disgusting and brutal, I am sure you are aware as recently as this week a woman has been sentenced to 90 lashes and a year imprisonment for appearing in a film, never mind the ongoing daily abuse these women suffer.
I am sure you are aware of the appalling treatment of women in Somalia, Afghanistan, Pakistan and many other Muslim countries, you forget to note your own racism coming through so clearly do you not?Jan Friday 14 October, 2011 - 2:53 PM
Well if you ask me, National MP Tony Crook has just betrayed his country to international people smugglers. Roll out the welcoming mat because here they come. 600 a month and counting. Maybe Crook should accommodate them in his own electorate since he's so worried about their international human rights. LIKE HELL HE WILL!!!Crook by Name... Friday 14 October, 2011 - 12:58 PM
Lost in all the debate is the reality that 20 million Muslim refugees in the world today are variously fleeing US or US-backed violence in Occupied Somalia (2.0 million), Occupied Palestine (7 million), Occupied Iraq (5-6 million), Occupied Afghanistan (3-4 million) and US robot-bombed NW Pakistan (2 million) (Google "Muslim Holocaust, Muslim Genocide"). Former PM Kevin Rudd described those trying to find safe haven for desperate refugees as "scum of the earth who should rot in hell". How then should we describe the racist and war mongering Americans, Zionists, Australians and other Europeans who drove 20 million Muslim refugees (over 50% children) out of their Homelands in the first place. Genocide is defined by Article 2 of the UN Genocide Convention as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part a national, ethnic, racial or religious group" and is vastly more serious than so-called "people smuggling".Dr Gideon Polya Friday 14 October, 2011 - 11:35 AM
Can somebody PLEASE stop Peter Maher from "contributing" to 3AW drive?
Don't the management of 3AW listen to their listeners?
Many have said how glad they were when he was replaced. Pay attention or you are going to lose your base just like Gillard has for the same reason.
I switch stations when I hear his voice too.Peggy Thursday 13 October, 2011 - 9:43 PM