- Earthquake hits Greenvale, Epping, Lalor and Roxburgh Park
- Man killed in Wodonga bobcat accident
- Childcare system 'nonsense'
- Paul Dale, Rodney Collins excused from giving evidence
- Fog to cause Melbourne Airport delays
- Scissor bandit can't open cash till
- Government workers cashed in on cosy deals, IBAC hears
- 'Bring them home': Government calls for action
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mick on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Since the Government wont send over the SAS to avenge the murder of our People, we can only hope some Americans were killed, ... more
- Nick on Israeli troops move into Gaza To Gloria,so the arabs get 27 other states and the jews are not even allowed 1?Sounds fair right? more
- dr ablett on Israeli troops move into Gaza The Muslims need to be taught that terrorism is not acceptable they seem extremely stupid people who cannot be reasoned ... more
- Gloria on Israeli troops move into Gaza Listened to Neil Mitchel and can't understand why everyone sticks up for Israel. The Jews pinched Palestine (with Englands ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... No one ever listens to me...no one should ever travel again in an airplane... the notion flying is safer than driving is ... more
- Peggy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... A sad day when so many lose their lives and it could have been avoided.Why would any airline fly over any country in the ... more
- Michelle on 'This won't stop the separatists ... How is a Boeing 777 shot down by accident? A totally deplorable action never mind what the conflict is. I hope all flights ... more
- Delboy on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Today the world has changed? You're kidding right? Didn't it change when Pan Am blew up over Lockerbie? And didn't it change ... more
- carole on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... Wake up australia. This sort of violence will be here sooner than you think.What a terrible thought. Government please look ... more
- Jill on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... WHY? WHY? WHY? this will be a question we will be asking ourselves for a long long time to come????????? more
- Samuel J on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... The poor buggers had perhaps gone to Amsterdam to see the live Anre Rieu concern held in Maastricht this week. What a pity ... more
- Stephen on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... My thoughts are with all the families this will affect. But who now would fly Malaysian Airlines. more
- Heather on Up to 27 Australians among 295 dead in ... This isn't terrorism it's murder! Men and their bloody wars!!! How many more innocent lives will be lost! Sincere ... more
- Marlene Gow on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' I wonder how Malthouse would've reacted if some other football identity spoke in that manner to his own daughter those few ... more
- kim on Victorian town's HIV scare Re the Dr Lester interview. It was said earlier in the morning - somewhere between 530 & 630 that the health professional ... more
- Faye on Young Aussies gored in bull run GO BULLS !! more
- Kevin on Tim Lane: 'I was angry' Good manners and decency cost nothing and go such a long way. Mick simply needs to be nice to people, it's not ... more
- Mark Ellison on Victorian town's HIV scare How does "coming into contact" with an HIV infected person, carry a risk? I presume the Health Professional isn't providing ... more
- Matt on Fans ripped-off by Tyson 'Meet & Greet' That is why I picked up the iron, him in the spa. more
- Amanda on Ice town: Victorian region's ... I know of a group of users in Neerim Sth. Folks should take a more loving stance on the unfortunate statement the journalist ... more
What is a human life worth?
West Australian National MP Tony Crook has scuttled Julie Gillard's plans to send 800 illegal refugees to Malaysia in return for 4,000 refugees already detained in that country.
His reason for not agreeing with the proposal is due to Malaysia not being a party to the United Nations Refugee Conventions mandate.
Nauru is a signatory to this convention and Tony Crook said he would agree to the refugees being sent there which is the alternative proposal being put forward by the opposition.
This refugee debate is so highly politicised it is difficult to know whether the most important people in this debate and those being the refuges, whether their best interests are being looked after by any of the political parties.
There is no doubt as well that there is more opposition to the proposal of off shore processing than what there was twelve months ago. What is also quite evident is that we are no closer to a solution to this ongoing problem today than we were twelve months ago as well.
The obvious debate that is occurring now is do we need to process offshore and detain refugees to discourage them from risking their lives in non seaworthy vessels. We still do not have an accurate assessment of how many refugees drown attempting to make it to our shores.
What is not in dispute though is that there are going to be more and more disaffected people seeking refugee status not only in Australia but any country where they feel their life can be improved compared to where they are now.
The estimated cost of the Malaysian solution is reported to be around 296 million dollars which equates to about $60,000 per person to transport and process.
This is one of the only issues being debated in this country at the moment where cost is not relevant. Human life all of a sudden is not worth much.
Well said Jan,Polya's comments are clearly racist against western countries,he fails to mention the cruel barbaric treatment of women and children in muslim countries by their own people>!!Steve Friday 14 October, 2011 - 4:04 PM
Dr Gideon, do you ever complain about the persecution Christians get in those countries or do you feel sorry for the Muslims only?Peggy Friday 14 October, 2011 - 3:54 PM
Gideon Polya, you forget to mention the gender abuse & genocide committed by Muslim countries. The treatment of females within Islam ideology is disgusting and brutal, I am sure you are aware as recently as this week a woman has been sentenced to 90 lashes and a year imprisonment for appearing in a film, never mind the ongoing daily abuse these women suffer.
I am sure you are aware of the appalling treatment of women in Somalia, Afghanistan, Pakistan and many other Muslim countries, you forget to note your own racism coming through so clearly do you not?Jan Friday 14 October, 2011 - 2:53 PM
Well if you ask me, National MP Tony Crook has just betrayed his country to international people smugglers. Roll out the welcoming mat because here they come. 600 a month and counting. Maybe Crook should accommodate them in his own electorate since he's so worried about their international human rights. LIKE HELL HE WILL!!!Crook by Name... Friday 14 October, 2011 - 12:58 PM
Lost in all the debate is the reality that 20 million Muslim refugees in the world today are variously fleeing US or US-backed violence in Occupied Somalia (2.0 million), Occupied Palestine (7 million), Occupied Iraq (5-6 million), Occupied Afghanistan (3-4 million) and US robot-bombed NW Pakistan (2 million) (Google "Muslim Holocaust, Muslim Genocide"). Former PM Kevin Rudd described those trying to find safe haven for desperate refugees as "scum of the earth who should rot in hell". How then should we describe the racist and war mongering Americans, Zionists, Australians and other Europeans who drove 20 million Muslim refugees (over 50% children) out of their Homelands in the first place. Genocide is defined by Article 2 of the UN Genocide Convention as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part a national, ethnic, racial or religious group" and is vastly more serious than so-called "people smuggling".Dr Gideon Polya Friday 14 October, 2011 - 11:35 AM
Can somebody PLEASE stop Peter Maher from "contributing" to 3AW drive?
Don't the management of 3AW listen to their listeners?
Many have said how glad they were when he was replaced. Pay attention or you are going to lose your base just like Gillard has for the same reason.
I switch stations when I hear his voice too.Peggy Thursday 13 October, 2011 - 9:43 PM