- 'Thrill killer' Hemming jailed
- Homegrown terror risks by numbers
- Man arrested after police chase
- Three dead in fatal 'neighbourhood dispute'
- Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues
- Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince Engineering to sack 100 workers
- 'Violence, unsafe sex and drugs'
- Why Rosie Batty erupted
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Colin Lacivita on Man arrested after police chase The Police should have gotten a couple of truckies to setup a road block and then abandon their trucks. This would really ... more
- PatQuickCrazy on Man arrested after police chase We could do what the Greens like to do for anything and everything like this...how about we just ban cars? more
- Aria Judilla on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues @GIW - Rather than just bag Mylene personally maybe you could actually point out which part of her post you think was ... more
- david lucas on Man arrested after police chase Dont the police have road spikes? This has gone too long putting many people in small town and on the road at risk more
- MskK on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues You surely have to ask what all these attacks have as a common denominator.... That would be Islam! more
- PJ on Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince ... Its time we faced facts. Australians subsidise Renewable Energy to the tune of $21 Billion now just so its electricity can ... more
- GIW on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues mylene, your comments are just so unbelievable. Get your Labor/Socialist brain into a right mind and say something sensible, ... more
- David on Gone with the wind: Keppel Prince ... Why do they blame the government? Seems to me that they're just using it as an excuse to reduce staff to make more money more
- PJ on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues Morning Neil, I listen with shock at the interview with that Professor.1. tax payer funded job programmes 2. more free ... more
- Peggy on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues I say, let the Jihadists go and hopefully they won't come back for whatever reson but change laws so that they can't come ... more
- Peggy on Why Rosie Batty erupted Someone failed this little boy that's for sure and this is what this is all about.Everyone must answer all questions ... more
- Linda on Why Rosie Batty erupted @ Heather, the police are not stupid. My husband has dealt with hundreds of court orders over his career. The problem is ... more
- GIW on Why Rosie Batty erupted I agree with you @Damo and like you was not game enough to say anything. I was asking that same question from the beginning. more
- mylene on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues More people are going to get killed in Australia in domestic incidents and disputes with neighbours than terrorism. You ... more
- Ben on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues This is one reason why security should be tight at government premises and that includes a ban on wearing the burka in ... more
- Pradman on Parliament in lockdown as hunt continues Meanwhile all burqa wearers are welcome in Canberra. more
- Heather on Why Rosie Batty erupted I feel for Rosie Batty ' s loss of her son Luke. It seems the Andersons actions are attributed to MI when it should be ... more
- Factsseeker on Why Rosie Batty erupted What is the matter with our conservative media. There was a child killed here ! The coronial inquiry is being held to try ... more
- Damo on Why Rosie Batty erupted I know i will cop it for saying this but my understanding of this is: Rosie got a intervention order against her husband. ... more
- IBARKER on Why Rosie Batty erupted This one reason why she should not enter Politics. more
When the war is over?
Prime Minister Julia Gillard confirms the bulk of Australian troops will return home from Afghanistan earlier than expected.
Local Afghan troops will begin to take over from Austrailan forces in the Uruzgan Province later this year. The process is expected to take up to eighteen months to complete.
Former Australian diplomat Bruce Haigh told 3AW Breakfast that the decision is a significant one that is likely to have been made "in the last 24 hours".
"They will be doing it because the Americans are going to do. America can't afford to stay there any longer," Bruce Haigh said.
"The war is a failure, or the occupation of Afghanistan is a failure, so people want to pull out. I mean they don't want to take any more casualties. Especially with Obama running into an election" he said.
LISTEN BELOW: Former Australian diplomat Bruce Haigh speaks with Ross and John
Defence Minister Stephen Smith has maintained on ABC's Four Corners program that the fight in Afghanistan isn't in vain, despite a former Military Commander saying the war shouldn't have come at a human cost.
LISTEN: Former Australian diplomat Bruce Haigh who has worked in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Gillard, will use this for her own interest at the next election>!Steve Thursday 19 April, 2012 - 10:09 AM
Gillard is going to use this as a political vote for the election next year, and so is Obama, and more of our brave men will die or injured
for this inhuman so called Lady..Peter Wednesday 18 April, 2012 - 4:21 PM
Afghanistanâ??s leadership is not too dissimilar to ours.
Both regimes are drunk with power and completely corrupt.
Australia now have a socialist government as corrupt as any in any 3rd world hell hole & are unable to do anything as they line their pockets & set us up for depression or recession.
We are having a very hard time unseating a very corrupt govt here & when we try to make out feelings known are dismissed as people of no consequence or incontinence.
How can the disparate tribes fight the Saudi or Iranian backed Taliban against forced marriage, theocracy, oppression of women, illiterate girls & reject the Islamic fundamentalism of the Taliban?
The Afghan Diasporas should return and help clean up their country instead of agitating to change our country into the one they supposedly fled from.
Every Afghan man in Australia should be returned to their country to serve in their army until such time the Taliban are defeated.
Why should the cowardly males of Afghanistan be allow to run away from their country & live the good life in Australia, 99% of them on Welfare payments, while we send troops to defend their wives and families?
The people do NOT need to see or hear Juliar endlessly droning on about bringing our boys home with typical LIEbor spin.
No ONE in Australia seriously thinks that JuLIARS move to withdraw Australian troops early from Afghanistan OR attend the Gallipoli ANZAC service is anything but political.Another Proud Aussie Tuesday 17 April, 2012 - 4:35 PM
Nobody ever wins a war, and we have lost so many beautiful men and boys - for what? Bring them home now!Pam B Tuesday 17 April, 2012 - 4:19 PM
War = Tax so its about time and what a joke this war wascol Tuesday 17 April, 2012 - 11:02 AM
Very sad, when you consider the Americans and Australians are doing this for electoral gain.the serial pest Tuesday 17 April, 2012 - 10:20 AM