- Serious head injuries in Hazelwood Power Station fall
- Footscray train station stabbing
- One person trapped after army base tank collision
- Craig Thomson MP faces 19 extra charges
- Essendon footballer in hospital after alleged stabbing
- Top five Melbourne cycling danger spots revealed
- Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing dog amongst rubble
- Tornado death toll revised to 24, including nine children
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Rod Evans on One person trapped after army base tank ... Best wishes to the boys injured in the service of their country. more
- Who's Paying??? on Craig Thomson MP faces 19 extra charges I've never ever known of a court case to drag on for so many years. Are we the taxpayer paying his bills? more
- Jillian on Essendon footballer in hospital after ... Another stabbing in the community, but if this case is going to toughen up our legal finding's on stabbing cases then I ... more
- Jillian on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... If only dog's could talk! God bless the both of you. more
- mandy on Oklahoma tornado survivor finds missing ... Something good came out of something so bad. Amazing how that little dog survived. more
- Gerard on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill is yet again 'over the hill'.I take it he wants to make his job even easier than it ... more
- KNOW-ALL COPPER on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... ANOTHER CASE OF A GEN X COP, SUSS AT THAT, TALKING DOWN TO THE GENERATION BELOW HIM.NOTHING IS NEW HERE. THIS AGE GROUP X ... more
- Pj on Kevin Rudd changes stance on gay ... Rudd changed his mind? Like he did on the Spill leaving his mates high and dry? Note for us: Lets not give him an ... more
- Greg on Ricky Nixon allegedly drink driving ... And this fool was in charge of young AFL players futures.What a role model,not more
- Greg on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... What a huge con the .05 system is.It tells people you can drink & drive but not over that limit.Why not have a zero limit ... more
- Sarah on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... As a current green P-plater with no desire to ever drive after having even one drink, this doesn't bother me at all... If it ... more
- mylene on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... The Nanny State lives!! more
- Jillian on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... How about having a number plate H for hoon or D for drink driver. Let these unstable driver's be known to the motorist on ... more
- robynne on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... I would say till 21,also they should have defencive driving classes at school! more
- stuart on Senior cop calls for young drivers to ... Why not increase P plate age by 1 year every second year and closely monitor accident results. Evidenced based rules/law ... more
- Joseph Richmond on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... So, why a big Deal? Ugly is still ugly, right? more
- Harry Brown on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... Question is was the baby Ugly or not?If it was then what's the fuss? more
- bushiepete on Nine refuses to apologise for 'ugly' ... wow most nsw rugby players are ugly and have no necks i guess the babys the same ?? dident see it at least i will sleep ... more
- Jan on Is Celebrity Splash the worst ... I probably only watch a couple of hours of TV in a week now, programming is absolute garbage, I loathe every so called ... more
- Sinbad on Narre Warren homes damaged after Ford ... Dg, it was widely reported in numerous media outlets that the victims were "known to police". 1 + 1 usually equals 2 mate! more
When the war is over?
Prime Minister Julia Gillard confirms the bulk of Australian troops will return home from Afghanistan earlier than expected.
Local Afghan troops will begin to take over from Austrailan forces in the Uruzgan Province later this year. The process is expected to take up to eighteen months to complete.
Former Australian diplomat Bruce Haigh told 3AW Breakfast that the decision is a significant one that is likely to have been made "in the last 24 hours".
"They will be doing it because the Americans are going to do. America can't afford to stay there any longer," Bruce Haigh said.
"The war is a failure, or the occupation of Afghanistan is a failure, so people want to pull out. I mean they don't want to take any more casualties. Especially with Obama running into an election" he said.
LISTEN BELOW: Former Australian diplomat Bruce Haigh speaks with Ross and John
Defence Minister Stephen Smith has maintained on ABC's Four Corners program that the fight in Afghanistan isn't in vain, despite a former Military Commander saying the war shouldn't have come at a human cost.
LISTEN: Former Australian diplomat Bruce Haigh who has worked in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Gillard, will use this for her own interest at the next election>!Steve Thursday 19 April, 2012 - 10:09 AM
Gillard is going to use this as a political vote for the election next year, and so is Obama, and more of our brave men will die or injured
for this inhuman so called Lady..Peter Wednesday 18 April, 2012 - 4:21 PM
Afghanistanâ??s leadership is not too dissimilar to ours.
Both regimes are drunk with power and completely corrupt.
Australia now have a socialist government as corrupt as any in any 3rd world hell hole & are unable to do anything as they line their pockets & set us up for depression or recession.
We are having a very hard time unseating a very corrupt govt here & when we try to make out feelings known are dismissed as people of no consequence or incontinence.
How can the disparate tribes fight the Saudi or Iranian backed Taliban against forced marriage, theocracy, oppression of women, illiterate girls & reject the Islamic fundamentalism of the Taliban?
The Afghan Diasporas should return and help clean up their country instead of agitating to change our country into the one they supposedly fled from.
Every Afghan man in Australia should be returned to their country to serve in their army until such time the Taliban are defeated.
Why should the cowardly males of Afghanistan be allow to run away from their country & live the good life in Australia, 99% of them on Welfare payments, while we send troops to defend their wives and families?
The people do NOT need to see or hear Juliar endlessly droning on about bringing our boys home with typical LIEbor spin.
No ONE in Australia seriously thinks that JuLIARS move to withdraw Australian troops early from Afghanistan OR attend the Gallipoli ANZAC service is anything but political.Another Proud Aussie Tuesday 17 April, 2012 - 4:35 PM
Nobody ever wins a war, and we have lost so many beautiful men and boys - for what? Bring them home now!Pam B Tuesday 17 April, 2012 - 4:19 PM
War = Tax so its about time and what a joke this war wascol Tuesday 17 April, 2012 - 11:02 AM
Very sad, when you consider the Americans and Australians are doing this for electoral gain.the serial pest Tuesday 17 April, 2012 - 10:20 AM