- Woman arrested over racist train assault
- Detective of the Year, Wayne Cheeseman, with Ross, John and Sly
- Ebola virus diagnosed in the US
- FBI help police swoop on accused terror aid
- Bike found with woman's body found at Benalla
- Government puts pen to paper on East West contracts
- Woman assaulted, abused on train
- Out-of-control driver smashes into Hawthorn home fence
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- acetrim on Ebola virus diagnosed in the US Why do people who come come back from Ebola infested places go into quarantine we quarantine plants and animals more
- Linda on Ebola virus diagnosed in the US How hard would it be to quarantine people coming in from affected countries for a couple of weeks? Inconvenient yes, but ... more
- Mick on Labor leads election polls can't believe there are that many stupid people in the state, I was a regular Labour voter, not any more, all labour want to ... more
- PJ on Labor leads election polls i simply cannot believe Victorians think a socialist will provide economic security and do nothing other than increase CFMEU ... more
- Willow on Labor leads election polls I can't believe that people would prefer Dopey Danny as Premier. Then again this was published in THE AGE which is a wing of ... more
- David T. on Labor leads election polls How soon people forget the incompetence and spending waste of the previous Labor governments. more
- mylene on Labor leads election polls No surprise. The Liberals are cheerleaders for big business sacking workers and avoiding taxes. Their record on public ... more
- Gazza on Labor leads election polls Bring on the election more
- Joy of Clayton on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error What a stupid comment "Seriously" has made. Some people will recognise this young fellow as the person who lives next door, ... more
- Seriously on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error Yes it was a stupid mistake but the the guy they mistook him foreveryone knows is no longer walking around. And who ... more
- Sam on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error As David T commnted above one wonders about the research and verification process related to such an important news ... more
- David T. on 'I'm gutted': Teen upset after pic error As if the decent Muslims don't have enough problems caused by these Isil thugs; now the Fairfax press is causing them ... more
- Factsseeker on Police put on high alert Every country has its violent extremists. Our prisons are full of these people. Each bikie gang seems to have a small number ... more
- pete on Police put on high alert make muslims pay for extra security via taxes also families of young terrorists to be charged with facilitation more
- PJ on Police put on high alert Your interview with Krayem was disappointing. He basically said this murderous maniac was our problem and not his ... more
- Stephen james on Police put on high alert Abbott really needs to cut down on the fear and loathing rhetoric,stop this silly Team Oz stuff, and start talking in more ... more
- Jane on Police put on high alert "A little disappointed with Victoria Polices' immediate reaction". Well Mr Ghaith, I am disappointed with Muslim community ... more
- John on Police put on high alert Islamic Council - you are kidding right? Where is your condemnation for the youth that took a knife to the meeting and ... more
- karen on Police put on high alert The Islamic council was disappointed by police reaction? Are you kidding me? They will always find an excuse! It's really ... more
- Ed Niemiec on Police put on high alert Well done Vic Pol!! more
When the war is over?
Prime Minister Julia Gillard confirms the bulk of Australian troops will return home from Afghanistan earlier than expected.
Local Afghan troops will begin to take over from Austrailan forces in the Uruzgan Province later this year. The process is expected to take up to eighteen months to complete.
Former Australian diplomat Bruce Haigh told 3AW Breakfast that the decision is a significant one that is likely to have been made "in the last 24 hours".
"They will be doing it because the Americans are going to do. America can't afford to stay there any longer," Bruce Haigh said.
"The war is a failure, or the occupation of Afghanistan is a failure, so people want to pull out. I mean they don't want to take any more casualties. Especially with Obama running into an election" he said.
LISTEN BELOW: Former Australian diplomat Bruce Haigh speaks with Ross and John
Defence Minister Stephen Smith has maintained on ABC's Four Corners program that the fight in Afghanistan isn't in vain, despite a former Military Commander saying the war shouldn't have come at a human cost.
LISTEN: Former Australian diplomat Bruce Haigh who has worked in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Gillard, will use this for her own interest at the next election>!Steve Thursday 19 April, 2012 - 10:09 AM
Gillard is going to use this as a political vote for the election next year, and so is Obama, and more of our brave men will die or injured
for this inhuman so called Lady..Peter Wednesday 18 April, 2012 - 4:21 PM
Afghanistanâ??s leadership is not too dissimilar to ours.
Both regimes are drunk with power and completely corrupt.
Australia now have a socialist government as corrupt as any in any 3rd world hell hole & are unable to do anything as they line their pockets & set us up for depression or recession.
We are having a very hard time unseating a very corrupt govt here & when we try to make out feelings known are dismissed as people of no consequence or incontinence.
How can the disparate tribes fight the Saudi or Iranian backed Taliban against forced marriage, theocracy, oppression of women, illiterate girls & reject the Islamic fundamentalism of the Taliban?
The Afghan Diasporas should return and help clean up their country instead of agitating to change our country into the one they supposedly fled from.
Every Afghan man in Australia should be returned to their country to serve in their army until such time the Taliban are defeated.
Why should the cowardly males of Afghanistan be allow to run away from their country & live the good life in Australia, 99% of them on Welfare payments, while we send troops to defend their wives and families?
The people do NOT need to see or hear Juliar endlessly droning on about bringing our boys home with typical LIEbor spin.
No ONE in Australia seriously thinks that JuLIARS move to withdraw Australian troops early from Afghanistan OR attend the Gallipoli ANZAC service is anything but political.Another Proud Aussie Tuesday 17 April, 2012 - 4:35 PM
Nobody ever wins a war, and we have lost so many beautiful men and boys - for what? Bring them home now!Pam B Tuesday 17 April, 2012 - 4:19 PM
War = Tax so its about time and what a joke this war wascol Tuesday 17 April, 2012 - 11:02 AM
Very sad, when you consider the Americans and Australians are doing this for electoral gain.the serial pest Tuesday 17 April, 2012 - 10:20 AM