3AW - Fairfax Radio Network

What we're talking about

Woman dies after eating death cap

Posted by: 3AW Radio | 7 June, 2012 - 2:17 PM
Fungus

UPDATE: A woman has lost her fight for survival after eating poisonous mushrooms handpicked from the Box Hill area.

The woman, aged in her early 50s was taken to the Austin Hospital in a critical condition on Wednesday.. after eating the mushrooms in a meal at the weekend.

Despite round the clock intensive care treatment, she died in hospital today.

YESTERDAY: A woman is in a critical condition in the Austin hospital after eating mushrooms.

The woman in her 50's is believed to have eaten death cap mushrooms, which are a highly poisonous fungi to humans.

It's understood she prepared the meal which included the mushrooms herself.

Earlier this year, two people died after eating death cap mushrooms at New Year's eve party in Canberra.

The chances of dying after ingesting death cap mushrooms is around 25-50%.

The Australian government has a webpage detailing the aesthetics and dangers of death cap mushrooms.

View Here.

Share

Blog comments Your Say

  • She must have been a real dumb, dumb its a worry there's a lot out there more than ever in this country look how many Sam finds on street talk every week,and look who they voted in.

    poptart Saturday 9 June, 2012 - 10:28 PM

Post a comment * Mandatory fields