- The Lion King returns to Australia
- Jimmy Barnes releases duets album
- Four generations of August 15
- MIFF highlights - Aug 15
- Jim's cheat sheet - Aug 15
- Champion Fred Cook joins Denis Walter
- Neighbourhood Watch launches kids program
- New release movie reviews - 7 August
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David Jackson on Family Feud error: Ride or Bride? Nah im hearing "ride" den! Good to see you keeping denya on his toes though! Hey our house stops like a melb cup race every ... more
- CHRIS WATTS on Cold enough for you? WELL IT IS WINTER AFTER ALL.....WHAT IS THE PROBLEM.... more
- Gazza on Meet Skippy, the white kangaroo I pass one most days south of the Mernda pub,big mobs there and whitey stands out like a beacon.. more
- Jo on Jim Keays dies, aged 67 R. I. P. Jim Keayes. Sympathy to his daughter, Russell Morris and many friends. more
- Gloria on Can Pat Panetta dance? Who cares if he is a good dancer or not, he certainly is a good looking bloke, lucky you Amanda. more
- Caroline on Can Pat Panetta dance? Kids will love it for a little while longer...thennnnnnn..........er....."God Dads embarrassing". more
- Maria on Can Pat Panetta dance? Sorry Pat....... The hands are a bit........ Girly more
- Frances Holmes on Can Pat Panetta dance? Amanda may hate the hands, but unfortunately Pat that's all you've got moving! more
- Pedrao on Can Pat Panetta dance? You dance like a typical white boy. As a youth, you'de have no chance on scoring. As an old man; who cares.Ã¯Â»Â¿ more
- Brad on Can Pat Panetta dance? He looks to enjoying himself and looks natural doing it, so who cares if its good or bad dancing. hahahaCheers Brad ... more
- anna on Can Pat Panetta dance? Pat, no you can't dance. We would like to here the music tho so we can see if your in beat more
- Jude on Can Pat Panetta dance? NO Pat - you cant dance - you dance like my husband!!!!:( :( :( more
- H on Dami Im joins Denis Walter Thanks for having Dami on your show. That was a very good interview, Good questions, Good answers. 3AW, please play her ... more
- kerrie on Denis Walter live from New York Hi Dennis went too new york may 2013 with husband had a great time there check out ellens star dust diner and visit the soup ... more
- Tim on Denis Walter live from New York No wonder that lady named Judy didn't recognise the song you sang to her! She may have if you used the correct words Denis! ... more
- Noel on Denis Walter live from New York Great listening to you in New York.I am reliving my visit and taking note of the sights you are seeing and I hope to see, ... more
- Roger on Denis Walter live from New York Dennis I rang you on live radio about the New York Yacht Club next door to the Sofitel but if you get down to Wall St ... more
- di padgett on Denis Walter live from New York go have a baileys milkshake at Bills Burgers Rockerfellar and do the underground tour of rockerfellar more
- Elizabeth Bull on Denis Walter live from New York Hi Dennis, your lucky to be in New York. I was leaving to go there and hurricane sandy hit and l unfortunately had to ... more
- Ahmed on Denis Walter live from New York What's the story with the naked lady, what does she do? more
Children and attachment parenting
Attachment parenting is a is a branch of child-rearing philosophy that emphasises sensitivity and developing close personal bonds. The style centres around 'surrendering' to the child's every need in the hope of forming a secure attachment which fosters the child's socio-emotional development and well-being.
Denis Walter kicked off his Afternoon program with an enlightening discussion on attachment parenting after 60 Minutes ran a special last night about the growing yet often controversial philosophy.
Denis talked to Mother and attachment parenting advocate Andi Lew who told listeners breast-feeding is a cornerstone of the movement.
"Natural parenting is all about breast feeding...It may be a little extreme to feed up to five years old like American Mums but breast feeding is essential from two years on," she said.
"The child controls your milk supply, not you. We're hormonally connected that way," Andi said.
Andi said Mothers who are not able to breast feed can still form close attachments by holding the child close while bottle-feeding and by making gentle eye contact. She is also reluctant to classify her beliefs as attachment parenting because it's simply a matter of 'being respectful to the child's wants and needs.'
The eight principles of attachment parenting are:
- Preparation for Pregnancy, Birth and Parenting
- Feed with Love and Respect
- Respond with Sensitivity
- Use Nurturing Touch
- Ensure Safe Sleep, Physically and Emotionally
- Provide Consistent Loving Care
- Practice Positive Discipline
- Strive for Balance in Personal and Family Life
Attachment Parenting received widespread attention earlier this year when Time Magazine in the United States published a story featuring an image of an upright three-year old being breast-fed by his Mother.
In most Western countries, breastfeeding beyond the age of 1 is considered "extended breastfeeding".
IMAGE: Cover of Time Magazine on the May 21, 2012
Listen to Andi Lew's fascinating chat with Denis Walter below.
PLAY: Attachment parenting advocate Andi Lew
3AW Afternoons provides a feast of entertainment and helpful information between 12 and 4pm every Monday to Friday. Denis Walter, one of 3AW's favourites, hosts the program each day - with highlights regularly uploaded to 3AW.com.au.
I still breast feed my 18month old & my husband hates it. I do it in private but he thinks the our son is to old for it now. I think that it's a great bond between mother & child & that milk can't go wrong. :)Emma Astbury Saturday 18 August, 2012 - 6:21 AM
Creepy to say the least.Faye Monday 23 July, 2012 - 7:48 PM
The Wallet following up on a channel nine program,who would've guessed?.
By the way Denise what are the call back numbers again?jgl Melb Monday 23 July, 2012 - 2:45 PM