- Prince lookalike turns joke into cash
- Lucy Lawless joins Darren James
- Marcia Hines releases 'Amazing' new album
- Hey Dad! cast feeling 'a little numb'
- Dan Sultan releases 'Blackbird'
- Secret revealed: how to deal with rude customers
- I'm not a look-alike!
- Melissa Doyle releases 'Alphabet Soup'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- CJG on New release movie reviews - April 1 Gareth Edwards is the director of Godzilla, not Gareth Evans. more
- Like Kisses of thread on New release movie reviews - April 1 The director attached to the Godzilla film is actually Gareth Edwards, not Gareth Evans.Lazy. more
- Spaghetti on New release movie reviews - April 1 No big deal, unless you're them, surely, but Gareth Edwards is directing Godzilla. more
- Barney on Denis's 'Meat Free Week' blog Denis. have you heard of the kick start diet or the soup diet. you eat their recipe of vegetable soup for a number of ... more
- ian on Kate Ceberano shares her story Has she got an New Release coming out.????? more
- Milton on Denis's 'Meat Free Week' blog Good luck with that one Denis:) more
- Jodi V on Victoria's oldest Ironman competitor Well done Mr Barnes. I remember you from high school running. So inspiring to see you are still at it. Jodi more
- Martin on Model sacked, told her bum's too big Ms Nicole is perfect, when will these designers realise men want meat not sticks. more
- Tracy Johnson on Austin Powers joins Friday Lunch Mark Andrew is one of a kind.With all is characters is best known for Elvis,in my views he is the best. more
- ian on Austin Powers joins Friday Lunch I had seen Mark on several occasions and to tell you he is great more
- Robert Rich on Back to the future for Moomba This is a joke !!!!!!! more
- Heather on Back to the future for Moomba Oh so wrong!!! Am sick of Bert being treated like a demi god. He's had his turn and would have thought he would do decent ... more
- CHRIS WATTS on Back to the future for Moomba once was enough,BUT not twice....why do we need to pamper this old tv worker.......Abbott is going back to the Howard days, ... more
- Jane on Back to the future for Moomba Oh spare me. Newton again. "Clown" hall does it again. How about honouring the CFA instead or someone like Moira Kelly for ... more
- ian on Back to the future for Moomba This would have the worst decision since the people voted Gillard in a P/M. more
- Jill on Back to the future for Moomba I would rather applaud our CFA during the Moomba Parade, than Bert Newton. Maybe we can applaud Bert Newton come Logie time. more
- Christine on Back to the future for Moomba You've got to be kidding ! more
- Alison Horner on Around the home with Shannon Lush Hi Shannon could you please advise washing microfibre cleaning cloths indicate no softness or bleach products to be used. ... more
- Craig on Chuck Berry takes a dive Ummmm.. Looks like he had a parachute on too... Nothing to see here. more
- ian on Mum furious: A stranger smacked my child Any witnesses. more
Children and attachment parenting
Attachment parenting is a is a branch of child-rearing philosophy that emphasises sensitivity and developing close personal bonds. The style centres around 'surrendering' to the child's every need in the hope of forming a secure attachment which fosters the child's socio-emotional development and well-being.
Denis Walter kicked off his Afternoon program with an enlightening discussion on attachment parenting after 60 Minutes ran a special last night about the growing yet often controversial philosophy.
Denis talked to Mother and attachment parenting advocate Andi Lew who told listeners breast-feeding is a cornerstone of the movement.
"Natural parenting is all about breast feeding...It may be a little extreme to feed up to five years old like American Mums but breast feeding is essential from two years on," she said.
"The child controls your milk supply, not you. We're hormonally connected that way," Andi said.
Andi said Mothers who are not able to breast feed can still form close attachments by holding the child close while bottle-feeding and by making gentle eye contact. She is also reluctant to classify her beliefs as attachment parenting because it's simply a matter of 'being respectful to the child's wants and needs.'
The eight principles of attachment parenting are:
- Preparation for Pregnancy, Birth and Parenting
- Feed with Love and Respect
- Respond with Sensitivity
- Use Nurturing Touch
- Ensure Safe Sleep, Physically and Emotionally
- Provide Consistent Loving Care
- Practice Positive Discipline
- Strive for Balance in Personal and Family Life
Attachment Parenting received widespread attention earlier this year when Time Magazine in the United States published a story featuring an image of an upright three-year old being breast-fed by his Mother.
In most Western countries, breastfeeding beyond the age of 1 is considered "extended breastfeeding".
IMAGE: Cover of Time Magazine on the May 21, 2012
Listen to Andi Lew's fascinating chat with Denis Walter below.
PLAY: Attachment parenting advocate Andi Lew
3AW Afternoons provides a feast of entertainment and helpful information between 12 and 4pm every Monday to Friday. Denis Walter, one of 3AW's favourites, hosts the program each day - with highlights regularly uploaded to 3AW.com.au.
I still breast feed my 18month old & my husband hates it. I do it in private but he thinks the our son is to old for it now. I think that it's a great bond between mother & child & that milk can't go wrong. :)Emma Astbury Saturday 18 August, 2012 - 6:21 AM
Creepy to say the least.Faye Monday 23 July, 2012 - 7:48 PM
The Wallet following up on a channel nine program,who would've guessed?.
By the way Denise what are the call back numbers again?jgl Melb Monday 23 July, 2012 - 2:45 PM