- New release movie reviews - December 5
- Sinatra's newest album release
- Human Nature sings 'Silent Night'
- Jim's Cheat Sheet, November 29
- The show must go on
- School bans girls wearing shorts
- Eric Bana joins Denis Walter
- The Hollies coming to Australia
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Leeanne on Around the home with Shannon Lush Hello, is it possible I could ask shannon lush 2 questions please?I accidentally put a spot of whiteout on the console In my ... more
- micaelthemick on Essential guide to the Hollywood ... News Limited with the unpaid blue uniform lover and liberal /np tryhard , acting as unpaid public relations .The McCarthyism ... more
- Christine on Mahalia Barnes talks weight loss That's great, congratulations. And I changed my hair colour last week - who cares ! more
- Shane W on Mahalia Barnes talks weight loss Now that's how a real woman should look! Congratulations. more
- Elizabeth Howatt on Jim's cheat sheet- Nov 22 Can someone please tell me which is the video shop that Jim Schembri recommends for classic and hard to find DVDs more
- Jacinta on Mahalia Barnes talks weight loss Congratulations Mahalia!an amazing result - good on you! more
- Catherine on David Campbell chats with Denis Walter Don't we have anyone in Melbourne capable of fulfilling this task? more
- Jim Schembri on New release movie reviews - November 22 Hello Michael. You've totally got me! Having just said how brilliant and well-known he is, I go ahead and get Jim ... more
- Kerry on Around the home with Shannon Lush Hi Shannon and Dennis xMy dogs have urinated on my floor boards they are natural not stained and have left terrible white ... more
- Donna Lee on Around the home with Shannon Lush Hi Shannon,I have your spotless book but am unsure of how to handle a stain of scuff marks on my carpet. I'm not sure what ... more
- Michael Dalton on New release movie reviews - November 22 With regards to your FILTH review, it is actually Jim Broadbent, not David. more
- Dolores Styring on Around the home with Shannon Lush Have dots of glue on my Formica bench. Could you suggest some remedy. Would be very grateful. Dolores Styring more
- mandy on JFK The Movie: Fact vs Myth JFK The Final 24 Hours was an interesting incite. Foxtel National Geographic. more
- mandy on Linda Blair with Denis Walter One of the best horror movies of all time a great cast. more
- mandy on Remembering President John F. Kennedy ... The Kennedy's had a lot of skeletons in their closests they were far from perfect. The doco I was impressed by was JFK. The ... more
- Fed up paramedic on Woman waits two hours for ambulance If the privately run dispatching service would just tell patients there cas is deemed not a life threatening emergency and ... more
- Christine on Woman waits two hours for ambulance @ Ambo. With due respect the cases we hear are very serious and not paper cuts. The system is not working and people are ... more
- Ambo on Woman waits two hours for ambulance Christine, in one way I agree; but then I disagree. If the system wasn't clogged by a ludicrous call-taking and dispatch ... more
- stuart keele on JFK The Movie: Fact vs Myth jim Schembri you're living in la la land if you think JFK was killed by Lee Oswald "the lone gunman"He was hit in the throat ... more
- Christine on Woman waits two hours for ambulance Totally fed up with hearing about the pathetic ambulance service, which is anything but a service. I don't care whose fault ... more
Children and attachment parenting
Attachment parenting is a is a branch of child-rearing philosophy that emphasises sensitivity and developing close personal bonds. The style centres around 'surrendering' to the child's every need in the hope of forming a secure attachment which fosters the child's socio-emotional development and well-being.
Denis Walter kicked off his Afternoon program with an enlightening discussion on attachment parenting after 60 Minutes ran a special last night about the growing yet often controversial philosophy.
Denis talked to Mother and attachment parenting advocate Andi Lew who told listeners breast-feeding is a cornerstone of the movement.
"Natural parenting is all about breast feeding...It may be a little extreme to feed up to five years old like American Mums but breast feeding is essential from two years on," she said.
"The child controls your milk supply, not you. We're hormonally connected that way," Andi said.
Andi said Mothers who are not able to breast feed can still form close attachments by holding the child close while bottle-feeding and by making gentle eye contact. She is also reluctant to classify her beliefs as attachment parenting because it's simply a matter of 'being respectful to the child's wants and needs.'
The eight principles of attachment parenting are:
- Preparation for Pregnancy, Birth and Parenting
- Feed with Love and Respect
- Respond with Sensitivity
- Use Nurturing Touch
- Ensure Safe Sleep, Physically and Emotionally
- Provide Consistent Loving Care
- Practice Positive Discipline
- Strive for Balance in Personal and Family Life
Attachment Parenting received widespread attention earlier this year when Time Magazine in the United States published a story featuring an image of an upright three-year old being breast-fed by his Mother.
In most Western countries, breastfeeding beyond the age of 1 is considered "extended breastfeeding".
IMAGE: Cover of Time Magazine on the May 21, 2012
Listen to Andi Lew's fascinating chat with Denis Walter below.
PLAY: Attachment parenting advocate Andi Lew
3AW Afternoons provides a feast of entertainment and helpful information between 12 and 4pm every Monday to Friday. Denis Walter, one of 3AW's favourites, hosts the program each day - with highlights regularly uploaded to 3AW.com.au.
I still breast feed my 18month old & my husband hates it. I do it in private but he thinks the our son is to old for it now. I think that it's a great bond between mother & child & that milk can't go wrong. :)Emma Astbury Saturday 18 August, 2012 - 6:21 AM
Creepy to say the least.Faye Monday 23 July, 2012 - 7:48 PM
The Wallet following up on a channel nine program,who would've guessed?.
By the way Denise what are the call back numbers again?jgl Melb Monday 23 July, 2012 - 2:45 PM