- Four generations of August 15
- MIFF highlights - Aug 15
- Jim's cheat sheet - Aug 15
- Champion Fred Cook joins Denis Walter
- Neighbourhood Watch launches kids program
- New release movie reviews - 7 August
- Kat Stewart joins Denis Walter
- Super saver Wendy joins Denis
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David Jackson on Family Feud error: Ride or Bride? Nah im hearing "ride" den! Good to see you keeping denya on his toes though! Hey our house stops like a melb cup race every ... more
- CHRIS WATTS on Cold enough for you? WELL IT IS WINTER AFTER ALL.....WHAT IS THE PROBLEM.... more
- Gazza on Meet Skippy, the white kangaroo I pass one most days south of the Mernda pub,big mobs there and whitey stands out like a beacon.. more
- Jo on Jim Keays dies, aged 67 R. I. P. Jim Keayes. Sympathy to his daughter, Russell Morris and many friends. more
- Gloria on Can Pat Panetta dance? Who cares if he is a good dancer or not, he certainly is a good looking bloke, lucky you Amanda. more
- Caroline on Can Pat Panetta dance? Kids will love it for a little while longer...thennnnnnn..........er....."God Dads embarrassing". more
- Maria on Can Pat Panetta dance? Sorry Pat....... The hands are a bit........ Girly more
- Frances Holmes on Can Pat Panetta dance? Amanda may hate the hands, but unfortunately Pat that's all you've got moving! more
- Pedrao on Can Pat Panetta dance? You dance like a typical white boy. As a youth, you'de have no chance on scoring. As an old man; who cares.Ã¯Â»Â¿ more
- Brad on Can Pat Panetta dance? He looks to enjoying himself and looks natural doing it, so who cares if its good or bad dancing. hahahaCheers Brad ... more
- anna on Can Pat Panetta dance? Pat, no you can't dance. We would like to here the music tho so we can see if your in beat more
- Jude on Can Pat Panetta dance? NO Pat - you cant dance - you dance like my husband!!!!:( :( :( more
- H on Dami Im joins Denis Walter Thanks for having Dami on your show. That was a very good interview, Good questions, Good answers. 3AW, please play her ... more
- kerrie on Denis Walter live from New York Hi Dennis went too new york may 2013 with husband had a great time there check out ellens star dust diner and visit the soup ... more
- Tim on Denis Walter live from New York No wonder that lady named Judy didn't recognise the song you sang to her! She may have if you used the correct words Denis! ... more
- Noel on Denis Walter live from New York Great listening to you in New York.I am reliving my visit and taking note of the sights you are seeing and I hope to see, ... more
- Roger on Denis Walter live from New York Dennis I rang you on live radio about the New York Yacht Club next door to the Sofitel but if you get down to Wall St ... more
- di padgett on Denis Walter live from New York go have a baileys milkshake at Bills Burgers Rockerfellar and do the underground tour of rockerfellar more
- Elizabeth Bull on Denis Walter live from New York Hi Dennis, your lucky to be in New York. I was leaving to go there and hurricane sandy hit and l unfortunately had to ... more
- Ahmed on Denis Walter live from New York What's the story with the naked lady, what does she do? more
Miss Eventful celebrates 100 years of Luna Park
Melbourne is the events capital of Australia, but sometimes it is easy to miss out on the gems because there are too many to choose from. Each week I want you to tell me where to go.
Send me to events, exhibitions, shows, local markets, and I will report back and provide you with details on what is worth checking out.
If you want to promote your event send me an email and I will promote it in the weekly blog. Email email@example.com.
THIS WEEK’S RECOMMENDATIONS:
Luna Park celebrates 100 years
Saturday December 15 - Sunday December 16
Melbourne’s Luna Park celebrated 100 years on December 13 2012. It was a momentous milestone for Australia’s oldest pleasure park and Luna Park is delighted to announce an exciting program of events and invites all of Melbourne to join in the fun.
Saturday December 15 and Sunday December 16, Luna Park is going to be winding back the clock with the ‘Back to 1912 Weekend’. With staff in historic uniforms, vintage delights and roaming performers, visitors will be able to experience Luna Park as it was back in the day. There will also be a return of the much-loved Tea Terrace. This is definitely a weekend not to be missed!
Christmas concert at Werribee Open Range Zoo
Saturday 15 December (11am-11.45am and 2pm-2.45pm)
The festive spirit is alive and well at Werribee Open Range Zoo with its annual Christmas concert to be held on Saturday 15 December.
Back by popular demand, the Werribee Concert Band will delight visitors with plenty of Christmas-themed music during two 45 minute performances in the African Village.
The large community band has more than 25 members who have been sharing their passion for music for over 20 years.
Don’t miss this special once-a-year zoo event!
The Big Give
Efforts are well underway to organise The Big Give 2012 Christmas lunch for isolated and disadvantaged environment.
Run by St Mary’s House of Welcome, The Big Give aims to support those who suffer the isolation of poverty and homelessness during the festive season. The Big Give brings together 300 people to share a fun and memorable Christmas lunch at the Fitzroy Town Hall.
The Big Give is now in its 12th year and during that time the event has brought a little Christmas joy to more than 3,000 people who have been seated for a full Christmas meal with festive trimmings, an appearance by Santa, some entertainment and a small gift.
For individuals or businesses who would like to help, or who would like more information on TheBig Give 2012 and how they can contribute, please go to the website at www.thebiggive.org.au or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Melbourne Zoo Twilight Concert
January 25 – March 9 2013
Melbourne Zoo are set for another great summer of music with the 2013 Melbourne Zoo Twilights series back again, offering an abundance of award- winning artists performing in the magical setting of the Melbourne Zoo.
Starting off the 2013 Twilights series will be none other than ARIA Award winner Missy Higgins on Friday, January 25th.
This season’s Zoo Twilights will feature a variety of amazing acts including Clare Bowditch, Leo Sayer, Lisa Mitchell, Stonefield, Husky, Justice Crew, and The Bamboos with Tim Rogers, so there’ll be something for everyone this summer
Denis Walter’s 2012 Carols events
Throughout the festive period
Carols at the rock
Saturday December 15 at Hanging Rock Pre Concert from 7pm with the main concert kicking off at 8pm (Gates open at 5pm)
Guests include international violinist Sally Cooper, rock music identity Wendy Stapleton, Humphrey B. Bear for the kids and, ahead of another overseas tour, The Australian Youth Band. Santa Claus will also be ‘Rocking at the Rock’.
Parking will be provided for a gold coin donation, with all funds raised going to the Woodend SES who will be coordinating the car parking at the event.
For further information please email email@example.com
Carols by the bay
Saturday December 8 at Waterfront Geelong - Eastern Beach Reserve Concert 7:45pm - 9:30pm
Guests include Julie Walter, Ginger and Tonic, international violinist Sally Cooper, Humphrey B. Bear for the kids and, ahead of another overseas tour, The Australian Youth Band.
Santa Claus will also make a special apperarence!
Ben and Jerry’s Open Air Cinema
2 December – 6 January
Ben & Jerry’s Openair Cinemas return to St Kilda from 2 December – 6 January, at their spectacular new venue on South Beach Reserve.
Pop the top on Summer with a full program of live music including Bertie Blackman and Loon Lake for Opening Night, along with the hottest movies showing under the night sky – Safety Not Guaranteed, Skyfall, the Australian premiere of Cool It and retro classics like Point Break and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Every Sunday is a ‘Sundae Session’ with FREE ice cream and games on the lawn. Check out the full program and get booking!
This Sunday is Grease Sing-a-long
Echuca Paddlesteamers Holiday Program
Monday 7 January - Thursday 24 January
Echuca Paddle steamers, finalists in the recent Victorian Tourism Awards, are set to host a range of cruises specifically designed for the kids these school holidays!
Activities will be held onboard authentic, steam driven, paddlesteamers during a one hour cruise with themes such as science, cooking, puppies, face painting and craft activities.
Riverboat Stories & Activities- Let the kids be entertained by the Campaspe Regional Library with activities including story telling, spotto and craft. The theme of the day will be paddlesteamers, the river and water!
Kids Scientwists Cruise- Jump onboard and enjoy paddlesteamer science with dynamic demonstrations and activities including steam whistle science and sound activities. Plus, children make a rubber-band powered paddleboat, sail it onboard and then can take it home.
Puppies on Paddlesteamers- Echuca based foster carers will bring along their latest crew of puppies onboard for this cruise. Pat the puppies and have a chat with the foster carers and hear about their experiences.
Kids in the Galley Cooking Cruises- Bush Tucker is the theme for this cruise with children learning about the food available in the Australian bushland and cooking up a storm, making damper and lamingtons with wild rosella jam.
Pevensey Face Painting- Do you want to be a butterfly, pirate or rainbow? Let your kids drift into fantasyland with Face Painting onboard the Pevensey.
For the full schedule including dates, times and prices visit www.echucapaddlesteamers.net.au or phone 03 5482 4248. Maximum numbers do apply so make sure you reserve your ticket!
Suzuki Night Market
14 November 2012 – 27 February 2013
Now in its 15th year, the Suzuki Night Market (located at the Queen Victoria Market) attracts over 200 stall holders and showcases some of Melbourne's finest artisans, producing locally made clothing, jewellery, prints and an array of cultural goods once the sun goes down. The hawker–style food stalls offer everything from traditional African curries through to the sweetest of honey dumplings. Don't stop at one stall; take a trip around the world one dish at a time.
War Horse and The Breath of Life Exhibition
Saturday 10 November 2012 to Sunday 17 March 2013
Horse puppets from Arts Centre Melbourne’s upcoming War Horse production and a five-metre long Raptor dinosaur puppet and are among the highlights of the upcoming exhibition War Horse and the Breath of Life celebrating the art of puppetry. Developed in collaboration with The National Theatre of Great Britain to support the Arts Centre Melbourne’s season of War Horse, the exhibition will be staged in Arts Centre Melbourne Gallery from Saturday 10 November 2012 to Sunday 17 March 2013.
War Horse and the Breath of Life features all kinds of puppets, animatronic creatures, costumes, films, photographs, original designs and purpose-built interactives. The exhibition brings together the best elements of the National Theatre’s exhibition Staging War Horse, which will be displayed alongside examples of contemporary Australian puppetry from Art Centre Melbourne’s Performing Arts Collection, which is the largest in Australia and is home to more than 500,000 items, relating to the history of circus, dance, music, opera and theatre.
Ethiopian Singer Mahmoud Ahmed
January 20, 2013
The Playhouse will host an exclusive cross-continent collaboration between legendary Ethiopian singer Mahmoud Ahmed – in his first Melbourne visit – performing live with Melbourne-based Ethio-jazz band the J Azmaris on 20 January.
Described as ‘the Red Sea’s most seductive soul singer’ and a living legend in his native country, Mahmoud Ahmed deftly combines the traditional Amharic music of Ethiopia -- essentially a five-note scale that features jazz-style singing offset by complex circular rhythm pattern -- with pop and freestyle jazz.
Known for his swooping multi-octave voice, Ahmed’s recordings defy the normal definitions of Afro pop, with jazztimes.com describing his music as “a deeply melancholy mixture of guitar, organ and horns that sounds somewhere between a Southern soul band and James Brown's Famous Flames”.