- New release movie reviews - May 17
- Casey Donovan sings for Denis Walter
- Denis Walter and 'Postman Pat' at the World Stamp Show
- New movie release reviews - May 9
- Sunrise girls and their not-so-glamourous mornings
- The Great Gatsby's Callan McAuliffe
- Star Trek Director JJ Abrams
- The Ten Tenors perform 'Hey Jude'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Shelley Blew on Around the home with Shannon Lush Hi Shannon, Can you please help me to remove the sticky residue from airport stickers off an ostrich skin barrel bag. more
- Kere on Casey Donovan sings for Denis Walter This is a fine example of why this woman is my favourite singer EVER. From Metallica to Mama Cass, she shines and channels ... more
- Debbie May on Around the home with Shannon Lush We have recently built a new home and have bamboo click together floorboards. Some tradie has walked something through which ... more
- jane on Around the home with Shannon Lush HELP please ShannonI have ironed an iron on number onto the back of my sons footy jumper and it has wrinkled. I need to ... more
- John Twomey on New release movie reviews - 21 March Marie,As I hope you have found by now, "The Cruel Sea" is available through Amazon.com at ... more
- John Twomey on The Ten Tenors perform 'Hey Jude' Wow. That kind of ... sucked, to be honest. And for anyone who says, "Oh, I suppose you could do it better" ... yes, as a ... more
- abdul the "turkish bath"(er) on Renee Geyer with Billy Pinnell She's a class act I saw her at the Albion in South Melb, now the butchered plastic joint called the Motel.Get to see her ... more
- Yvonne McCaig on Health with Gerald Quigley Hi Gerald,Could you please tell me what to take for weak finger nails that also have ugly ridges?Kind regardsYvonne more
- Pru on Sunrise girls and their ... Heard this Barr piece comment one time she is so tired in the afternoon, she feels like belting the kids at 4.00 p.m. more
- Michelle on Around the home with Shannon Lush Hi Shannon, we had my daughters 18th on the weekend and we hired a slushie machine. Just my luck someone who was rather ... more
- Caroline on Around the home with Shannon Lush Hi Shannon, I placed my dark wet washing on top of the wet light colours and I have had a black pair of jeans leave dye on a ... more
- Chris Hutton on Around the home with Shannon Lush Hi Shannon On 7/5/13 you answered a question in relation to cleaning Scanpan cookware - I missed most of your answer but ... more
- Colleen on Health with Gerald Quigley My hisband has been ill bronchitis and pneunomia for about 3 weeks. Could you please repeat the supplements you suggested ... more
- the serial pest on The Ten Tenors perform 'Hey Jude' Why was this not authorised by me first? more
- Kim on Around the home with Shannon Lush Hi ShannonCan you tell me a good way to get rid of the fishy smell from towels/clothes used on a recent fishing trip. I have ... more
- Kerrie Ribergaard on Around the home with Shannon Lush How do I get stains out of a baby dress that has never been worn but stored in cupboard for 5 years more
- Andrew Gleeson on Live at 3AW: Clare Bowditch Dennis,Yesterday (Wednesdy) you had a interview with a n opera trained singer who was had released a new album. I didnt get ... more
- Lesley on Around the home with Shannon Lush Hi Shannon the other week you spoke about getting stains out of the carpet using a steamer and what to put in the water. My ... more
- Joe Garra on Don Adams & Get Smart - Fast Facts Best TV show ever! more
- Jim on Jim's movie cheat sheet - 11 March Hello Marie! The Cruel Sea is, without doubt, one of the greatest maritime war movies ever. You can easily get it on Amazon ... more
Miss Eventul checks out tattoos
Melbourne is the events capital of Australia, but sometimes it is easy to miss out on the gems because there are too many to choose from. Each week I want you to tell me where to go.
Send me to events, exhibitions, shows, local markets, and I will report back and provide you with details on what is worth checking out.
If you want to promote your event send me an email and I will promote it in the weekly blog. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
THIS WEEK’S RECOMMENDATIONS:
Taste of Melbourne Festival
November 15- 18
Here’s an event you should book for right now. Taste of Melbourne. It combines two of the things Melburnians love. Food and a Festival. During the week, I was taken on a food safari to sample some of the delights that will be on offer at the Taste of Melbourne Festival and I have to say my mouth and stomach were in food heaven.
Taste of Melbourne is on from November 15 – 18 and for the first time in Melbourne it will be held outdoors at Albert Park.
Fifteen of Melbourne’s best restaurants will fashion special menus of starter sized dishes for the occasion, including signature dishes created by chefs to specially reflect their philosophy and showcase seasonal and premium ingredients.
You can enjoy a feast for the senses with top chefs live in the Taste Kitchen and pick up hints and tips at interactive master classes.
Plus there will be over 100 producers who will be providing a bounty of the best food and beverages.
If the sample of food I was treated to on Tuesday night is anything to go by then the festival will be a treat for our tummies.
If you want more info or to book tickets go to www.tasteofmelbourne.com.au
City to Sea
Sunday, 11 November
If you love a challenge enter the City to Sea run. Raising money for official charity partner Movember, as well as a range of worthy charities, the event is open to thousands of elite runners, joggers, walkers and community-minded families from around Australia.
This year, organisers are expecting 18,000 people to take part. Organised by the same team that established the world’s largest run, Sydney’s City2Surf, the 14km Melbourne course will start at the Arts Centre in the CBD, travel along St Kilda Road, continue around the Albert Park Grand Prix track, and end in a spectacular finish by the sea in St Kilda.
Yarra Valley Strawberry Festival
Sunday, 11 November
Sunday, 11 November
The annual Yarra Valley Strawberry Festival marks the beginning of the Strawberry picking season, and aims to provide a family friendly fun day, with rides, exhibits, games, and yummy tastes of strawberry foods.
Enjoy the live Rockabilly band "The Flyin' Saucers", Rides, Custom Cars / Motorcycles, various stall holders, Police Showband performances, two BBQs, food/drinks, devonshire teas, dance acts, choir performances, karate demonstration, animal farm, Strawberry eating competitions, and Strawberry & spoon race.
It is happening at the St Patrick’s primary school and community grounds in Lilydale from 10am to 4pm and it is free.
Melbourne Bead Expo
November 9- 11
The Melbourne Bead Expo is on again in 2012! Highlights include international tutor, Melanie Potter, and talented Australian tutors teaching a range of beading workshops, bead exhibitors from across Australia and displays of members’ works. Held at the Kingston City Hall, 979 Nepean Highway, Moorabbin, 9-11 November.
Melbourne Tattoo and Body Art Expo
The second Melbourne Tattoo Expo will take place this weekend at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition centre.
Visitors will have the opportunity to get tattooed or pierced at the Expo, whether it is their first or one of many!
They have a great line up of local and international tattoo artists in what is now the most hugely attended tattoo expo in Australia.
There will be clothing, merchandise and lifestyle vendors, Artist Skate Deck Auctions, Tattoo Contests and lots of free entertainment.
National Youth Circus Day at Signal
National Youth Circus Day at Signal
Sunday, 11 November
National Youth Circus Day at Signal is a jam packed day of circus fun to celebrate the vibrant youth circus scene in Australia. Starting at 11am there will be workshops, master-classes, performances and a skills jam session this will be a great day for young people of all experiences and abilities. Wear stretchy comfortable clothing and bring along your circus gear.
Signal is right in the heart of the city: behind Flinders Street Station on Northbank, in the Les Erdi Plaza, at the northern end of Sandridge Bridge, and at the top of Banana Alley.
With One Big Voice Concert
Sunday, 2nd December
Creativity Australia presents its “With One BIG Voice” concert at the Melbourne Town Hall to celebrate and showcase the skills of its 14 choir programs with over 400 voices from all walks of life.
The 14 choirs combine for the annual “With One BIG Voice” concert performing with celebrated artists including leading soprano Tania de Jong AM, baritone Jonathan Morton, chief conductor Shaun Islip and conductors Marianne Black, Kym Dillon, Bridget a’Beckett, Jacinta Caruana, Shannon Brown, Elizabeth Lecoanet, Andrea Khoza and Adrian Portell.
The 400 voices performing “With One BIG Voice” are those of migrants, the unemployed, disabled and disadvantaged, public housing tenants and ordinary Australians keen to be involved and find their voice.
All concert proceeds go to providing places for Creativity Australia’s “With One BIG Voice” charity choir program, which inspires people to find their voice, wellbeing, jobs and joy.
Suzuki Night Market
14 November 2012 – 27 February 2013
Now in its 15th year, the Suzuki Night Market (located at the Queen Victoria Market) attracts over 200 stall holders and showcases some of Melbourne's finest artisans, producing locally made clothing, jewellery, prints and an array of cultural goods once the sun goes down. The hawker–style food stalls offer everything from traditional African curries through to the sweetest of honey dumplings. Don't stop at one stall; take a trip around the world one dish at a time.
War Horse and The Breath of Life Exhibition
Saturday 10 November 2012 to Sunday 17 March 2013
Horse puppets from Arts Centre Melbourne’s upcoming War Horse production and a five-metre long Raptor dinosaur puppet and are among the highlights of the upcoming exhibition War Horse and the Breath of Life celebrating the art of puppetry. Developed in collaboration with The National Theatre of Great Britain to support the Arts Centre Melbourne’s season of War Horse, the exhibition will be staged in Arts Centre Melbourne Gallery from Saturday 10 November 2012 to Sunday 17 March 2013.
War Horse and the Breath of Life features all kinds of puppets, animatronic creatures, costumes, films, photographs, original designs and purpose-built interactives. The exhibition brings together the best elements of the National Theatre’s exhibition Staging War Horse, which will be displayed alongside examples of contemporary Australian puppetry from Art Centre Melbourne’s Performing Arts Collection, which is the largest in Australia and is home to more than 500,000 items, relating to the history of circus, dance, music, opera and theatre.
Ethiopian Singer Mahmoud Ahmed
January 20, 2013
The Playhouse will host an exclusive cross-continent collaboration between legendary Ethiopian singer Mahmoud Ahmed – in his first Melbourne visit – performing live with Melbourne-based Ethio-jazz band the J Azmaris on 20 January.
Described as ‘the Red Sea’s most seductive soul singer’ and a living legend in his native country, Mahmoud Ahmed deftly combines the traditional Amharic music of Ethiopia -- essentially a five-note scale that features jazz-style singing offset by complex circular rhythm pattern -- with pop and freestyle jazz.
Known for his swooping multi-octave voice, Ahmed’s recordings defy the normal definitions of Afro pop, with jazztimes.com describing his music as “a deeply melancholy mixture of guitar, organ and horns that sounds somewhere between a Southern soul band and James Brown's Famous Flames”.
Boneo Community Market is on this Saturday 17 Nov. 8.30- 12.30 at Boneo Reserve
,cnr.Limstone &Boneo Rds Mel.ref 253 A3.
on the beautiful Mornington Peninsula.
Make it,Grow it, Bake it !
I make beautiful glass and Japanese paper jewellery from my kitchen in Rye and I love selling my jewellery at our wonderful local market at Boneo ,you'll find my stall setup in the Limestone RD goal posts please come and say Hi !Julie Walker Thursday 15 November, 2012 - 1:36 PM