- Hunger Games bad for your brain?
- New release movies, November 20
- Woman goes on 77 dates in 81 days
- Two dead in fiery Dromana smash
- The world's friendliest country
- Jim's movie cheat sheet, Nov 13
- New release movie reviews, Nov 14
- Finding Vivian Maier interview
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Patty Hanson on World's tallest cow over the mooon Thank you so much for interviewing me about Blosom! She is a special cow, and its nice to share her with others. She has the ... more
- judith on World's tallest cow over the mooon What a beautiful animal, do hope she lives to a ripe old age. more
- David Jackson on Family Feud error: Ride or Bride? Nah im hearing "ride" den! Good to see you keeping denya on his toes though! Hey our house stops like a melb cup race every ... more
- CHRIS WATTS on Cold enough for you? WELL IT IS WINTER AFTER ALL.....WHAT IS THE PROBLEM.... more
- Gazza on Meet Skippy, the white kangaroo I pass one most days south of the Mernda pub,big mobs there and whitey stands out like a beacon.. more
- Jo on Jim Keays dies, aged 67 R. I. P. Jim Keayes. Sympathy to his daughter, Russell Morris and many friends. more
- Gloria on Can Pat Panetta dance? Who cares if he is a good dancer or not, he certainly is a good looking bloke, lucky you Amanda. more
- Caroline on Can Pat Panetta dance? Kids will love it for a little while longer...thennnnnnn..........er....."God Dads embarrassing". more
- Maria on Can Pat Panetta dance? Sorry Pat....... The hands are a bit........ Girly more
- Frances Holmes on Can Pat Panetta dance? Amanda may hate the hands, but unfortunately Pat that's all you've got moving! more
- Pedrao on Can Pat Panetta dance? You dance like a typical white boy. As a youth, you'de have no chance on scoring. As an old man; who cares.Ã¯Â»Â¿ more
- Brad on Can Pat Panetta dance? He looks to enjoying himself and looks natural doing it, so who cares if its good or bad dancing. hahahaCheers Brad ... more
- anna on Can Pat Panetta dance? Pat, no you can't dance. We would like to here the music tho so we can see if your in beat more
- Jude on Can Pat Panetta dance? NO Pat - you cant dance - you dance like my husband!!!!:( :( :( more
- H on Dami Im joins Denis Walter Thanks for having Dami on your show. That was a very good interview, Good questions, Good answers. 3AW, please play her ... more
- kerrie on Denis Walter live from New York Hi Dennis went too new york may 2013 with husband had a great time there check out ellens star dust diner and visit the soup ... more
- Tim on Denis Walter live from New York No wonder that lady named Judy didn't recognise the song you sang to her! She may have if you used the correct words Denis! ... more
- Noel on Denis Walter live from New York Great listening to you in New York.I am reliving my visit and taking note of the sights you are seeing and I hope to see, ... more
- Roger on Denis Walter live from New York Dennis I rang you on live radio about the New York Yacht Club next door to the Sofitel but if you get down to Wall St ... more
- di padgett on Denis Walter live from New York go have a baileys milkshake at Bills Burgers Rockerfellar and do the underground tour of rockerfellar more
What are smart homes nowadays
We all recall when someone we knew had a remote garage door and we thought, wow, how lucky are they? Nowadays, most new homes have things like, video intercoms, home theatre systems, we are seeing a lot of homes with keyless entry and surveillance/camera systems that can be viewed from iPads or smart phones remotely and people can even turn their heating & cooling on and off remotely.
Now we are seeing:
It’s the buzzword-smart homes can work out what a home needs before it’s owner does. They can be programmed to maximize solar heat and light in Winter and minimize it in Summer with automated blinds, shutters and curtains as well as temperature control systems. If there is a fault, the system can email the owner and let them know of the fault.
There’s also a system where you can press one button to lock your doors and be sure all the lights are off and the TV!
There are systems that can measure the power use from each appliance. It can take the guesswork out of what the best setting is in order to run your heating and cooling efficiently and cost effectively.
Things like Sonos wireless sound systems streaming music through your home are now common. There are also tablet devices and apps that can control every component of a home media system, like the Television, DVD player, Foxtel and home theatre.
Self-cleaning pyrolytic ovens, steam ovens, steam dishwashers, fridges with wi-fi and LCD screens.
Robomaid automatic vacuum cleaners are becoming popular. Nono coatings for shower screens and mirrors to reduce cleaning are also becoming popular.
Clearly, as time goes on, we will continue to see advances in technology and whilst some of these things may seem a little bit like gimmicks, the more they are accepted and the more they are used by consumers, the more demand will increase and prices will come down and they will become more accessible and a part of our daily life & routines.
James Hatzimoisis is a Director and Auctioneer with Barry Plant Real Estate.