- The art of AFL drafting
- Catherine Andrews: The woman behind the man
- Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking
- So, we like, don't like these words
- 'The results are amazing'
- Andrews attacks 'desperate' government
- Calls to legalise marijuana
- ABC work-ethic 'shocking': Former manager
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Mike Genge on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking The guy who shot this film needs a life, The poilce are hard working and are under pressure regardless where he parks to ... more
- Suzanne Bowtell on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking Policemans actions are perhaps not a good luck. But what an arrogant, disrespectful twit the antagonistic filmer is. He's ... more
- garry robinson on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking This clown is nothing but a smartarse. Lack of respect is this county's biggest problem. Is the rear window open on the car ... more
- andy on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking This guy filming has some balls to talk this way to an officer to begin with, this is the trouble their is no respect for ... more
- Noel Hynes on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking To the person who recorded this video. "You are a complete and utter KNOB... "Wake up to yourself"... and "Show some respect ... more
- Joy tanti on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking I have no problem with this officer parking there as he is on duty at all times so if he got the call the car is there next ... more
- Dave on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking Give us a break moron. Hardest job in the world, smart Alec's always filming everything cops do 24/7. Ten years ago the fool ... more
- ramin on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking Keep up the good work guys, what I see here is police out being human and interacting with the community and at the same ... more
- Mariah on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking Cudos to the guy ratting out that police officer. He is NOT above the law. He should be setting an example!! He should be ... more
- David Blackburn on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking The guy filming that is a loser.He'd have something to say if he needed urgent police attention and they'd parked their car ... more
- Wayne on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking Stupid guy. the officer needs to eat& be as close to his car as possible incase he needs to move quickly to save you're life! more
- Dennis Henry on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking The policeman is a First Constable - not a Constable. The person behind the camera is an idiot not anyone of note. I ... more
- Stephen on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking Cop parked illegal, that's wrong.Videographer filmed policeman (or anyone for that matter) in a public place, totally ... more
- Justin on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking The tool behind the filming needs to get a life more
- Colin Lacivita on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking I agree 100% with the other comments. The Police are allowed to park anywhere. He is having lunch and the sooner he is back ... more
- Kris on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking The fool with the camera should do his homework as its the council that fines you for parking in no standing zones not the ... more
- Darrell Gascoyne on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking As far as I am concerned I would be delighted an officer was there showing a visible presence, as a shop owner I would ... more
- Brendan on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking Total Disrespect for the officer . Everyone is in favour of additional police presence on our streets and police should be ... more
- Guy Pearson on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking If they are allowed to do it, it's not "illegally parked"As long as they are safely parked I don't have a problem with ... more
- IGNATIUS on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking I would have not noticed the illegal parking because it is police officer.The dumb bugger who videoed this is a nutbag. more
Alan Jones' cruel comments went 'well beyond political passion'
JUSTIN SMITH: Most people involved in Australian talk radio can do an impression of Alan Jones.
Some are very good and suitably funny. Some are just over-camp and noisy.
But I’ve found that most people will have a shot.
And here’s how it goes…
The lips are pursed and twisted. A frown is pulled, and then pulled harder. And then the eye-rolling impersonator will swing their wrists in the air and let go with a gush of abuse, opinions, mini editorials and general shock jock speak.
And the good ones will always start with a very loud “daeeeerrr”.
It’s all good fun and it helped to bring the powerful Sydney radio giant down to a mortal level. And it kept the laughs coming until dawn after radio awards dinners and alike.
Yes, it doesn’t take much to get us going – just a cheeky white, a small audience and Jonesy take off.
But over the last few days the impersonators have gone quiet. The silly voices are silent.
Alan Jones went from being powerful and funny to bitter and lame when he used the death of Julia Gillard’s father to spit poison at the prime minister he hates so much.
Far from taking him off, it’s left us all wondering how he could summon up so much loathing for a person.
For a man who has spent many flying hours behind a microphone, you would think he had a better understating of mind over mouth. Clever things that sit in the brain for self amusement don’t always slide off the tongue with the same wit.
Although he’s not known for his warmth and understanding, there are not many people in Australian radio that have had the intellect, understanding of his audience and incredible run of ratings than Jones.
And there are not many broadcasters who have devoted their time to attacking a government.
But this was on a different level. It was well beyond political passion.
So where did it come from?
He was surrounded by Young Liberals. There had been laughs and drinks. Maybe he just got carried away in the anti-Labor mood of the night.
Perhaps he felt his power was so great that all words from the scrunched lips were tablets from the mountain.
Or maybe his hate is so strong that he would simply burst if it didn’t get out.
Hate is a strong emotion.
But after the snap of the brain, he pulled some press together and made an apology.
If it was heartfelt, I haven’t talked to too many hearts that felt it.
The statement was adlib and full of “you”s – as in “you’ve just got to be big enough to admit that you got it wrong”.
There could have been a few more “I”s. It’s not like a talk radio host to hold back on an important word like that.
And he seemed keen to point out that he spoke for 58-minutes at the Young Libs’ dinner “without a note”. Well, I guess if you’re going to offer an apology, you might as well show off how clever you are at the same time.
The last time I saw Alan was on stage performing in Annie. He did a good job. Musical theatre gained a son for a brief period. But now we have the old Jones boy back.
The whole affair brought extra pain to a grieving daughter, disappointment from a loyal audience and condemnation from across the country.
And now some big advertisers are pulling dollars out from under Jones, and country radio stations have decided to drop his networked program. These things will hurt the ego and the wallet. Two important things in Sydney
It’s amazing what a handful of words can do sometimes.
Alan Jones will recover – bruised from the battle and perhaps with a few less words in his armory. But before he does, let’s all purse and twist our lips and give Alan the frown of a lifetime.
NEIL MITCHELL: I hope this surprises no one who listens to this program but I believe what Alan Jones said about the Prime Minister’s late father was offensive, hateful, bitter and totally unacceptable.
Alan Jones got it very very wrong when he referd to Mr. Gillard as dieing of shame! He forgot that labour voters have no shame!joe fox Tuesday 9 October, 2012 - 11:29 AM
Such double standards by all. Everyone shiould get off their high horses and
their cafe latte chairs because all sides are just as bad as each other. Gillard has to grow a set because she chose to be in the game. She and all women have to cop it sweet in a very competitive environment as politics. Stop the name calling, lies and get on with the job. Also stop using the mysogynist banner everytime it actually makes it worse for all women. I am in an environment where I work with men but I don't yell mysogyninst everytime I don't get my way.Samantha Sunday 7 October, 2012 - 5:32 PM
In a sane society we would never have to hear from 'Mr' Jones againjen Tuesday 2 October, 2012 - 7:46 PM
It leaves you wondering,just how far these right wing goons will go,to get their party into power ? and
just how stupid is the average Australian, that believes and then helps spread the bile they spew.jay Tuesday 2 October, 2012 - 3:18 PM
Like Justin Smith I have to wonder why and how Alan Jones can hate someone so much when the person concerned has done them no personal harm.
Hatred is so ugly.Mark Skinner Tuesday 2 October, 2012 - 10:59 AM
Who were the Liberal frontbenchers who attended this function and laughed out loud at Jones' comments? And who was the SMH journalist who was there and DIDN'T report it? The only way to end the speculation is to name names. :pmylene Tuesday 2 October, 2012 - 9:03 AM