- 'It's very little time for taking a life'
- Kennett: 'This is sheer incompetence'
- Ice driving killer verdict 'not adequate'
- Good idea or just rubbish?
- 'It's complex': Mayor defends slow Sydney Rd CCTV installation
- 'Blame the tradie, not contestants'
- Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of welfare'
- Classic or crazy? Cazaly re-made
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Aaaa on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... It doesn't set a good example does it! Just proves how easily anyone can get away with a situation like this. They are ... more
- Lukew on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... What would be enough? more
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
- Jane on Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of ... Well this is one thing i agree with. Tired of tip-toeing on this issue. There are not hundreds of Muslims that support ... more
- Linda on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Christine Milne is as big a threat to our national security as groups like ISIS. Even the tiniest chink in our political ... more
- GIW on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Yes Mylene, that is the aim of Islam to take over the world. As a caller on the Sunday Morning show yesterdays said, there ... more
- mylene on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Don't worry in a couple of years we'll be trading with ISIS and the Taliban and anyone who mentions the war will be shouted ... more
- Jeff on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... As parents of young kids i cannot believe Essendon has put James Hird back in as coach, Hird should have nothing to do with ... more
- Stephen on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... Doesn't know a lot really does he! Including if the Bombers took anything illeagal!AFL Another Fool Leader. more
- Diane on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... How silly to have a coaches meeting when there are finals on and other coaches are having their reviews. more
- Jimbob on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... I wonder what the risk factor is for those other clubs attempting to poach essendong starts caught in this. If the worst ... more
- Mel on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Our neighbours also have a fox terrier & it's one of the most aggressive & unsocialised dogs I have seen! Has prevented us ... more
- Wayne on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... to wendy who wrote "Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this ... more
- Sam Maglitto on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... I heard this report on the radio this afternoon and being a Dog Lover I was horrified to think there are other owners who ... more
- wendy on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this would get peoples ... more
- Stephanie on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Such a tragedy for all involved. more
- Robert on 'PM's popularity between asbestos and ... But when he opposes public transport, his ratings suffer. His being so good at opposing things, particularly public ... more
- jgl Melb on 'If Ashby is right, Pyne should quit' Christopher Pyne;Verbal gymnast extraordinaire...Putting it politely more
- Colin Lacivita on Phone scam targets grieving widow I always get emails promising me money. I don't care who they are I always send a email back warning that their contact ... more
Alarming increase in methamphetamine use in Victoria
LISTEN BELOW: Assistant Commissioner Steven Fontana speaks with Neil Mitchell
NEIL MITCHELL: Drugs are a big issue today.
We have Collingwood Football club saying there is an illegal drug problem in football. At last that is being recognised
And I agree with Jon Anderson on 3AW Breakfast. This says to me there is a drug scandal that will break in football.
I’ve heard whispers it was brewing last season and I haven’t confirmed it so I won’t broadcast a rumour.
Also today we have surf life saving with a drug scandal emerging..
And we have police figures that show ice usage in Victoria. Meth amphetamine has increased 58.2 per cent in a year.
That is massive. That is terrifying.
But is it a surprise? A gold medallist Matthew Mitcham was in to it.
He told me this on Friday: "I wasn’t using it to party. I wasn’t using to get really messed up. I was using it just to dull and numb the feelings that I was feeling, the depression that I was feeling because I just didn’t want to feel that way anymore".
So we have footballers, elite athletes. Little wonder it is popular.
But the problem here. In fact there are two problems.
Cannabis is more broadly used but ice is soaring and cost up to $1000 a gram.
That means crime is up, the crime to pay for it (I guess unless you are an elite athlete with a lot of money).
And the other issue: How do you get the message through?
We will pursue both issues today.
The increase, the danger to us in crime and what to do about it.
This remember is one of the most dangerous illegal drugs around and our drug culture clearly is growing.
LISTEN: Assistant Commissioner Steven Fontana speaks with Neil Mitchell
Absolutely terrifying to think of the damage caused by this evil filthy stuff, I work with someone who said his niece was using the stuff, and only in her early 20â??s has serious kidney & liver damage, I have heard that some of the ingredients put into this garbage are caustic soda, traces of rat poison etc. don't know if that's correct, but the users can never possibly know what is in the garbage, manufactures of this evil menace should be jailed for life.Jan Friday 14 December, 2012 - 1:08 PM
You all said the same thing 9 years ago and you will be saying the same thing in another 9 years.Matt Thursday 13 December, 2012 - 1:59 PM
My nephew has been a cannabis smoker since his mid-teensand was introduced to Ice by his then girlfriend about 5 years ago. Since then,he has had two stints in a psychiatric facility to treat drug induced psychosis and schizophrenia and can no longer work and is supported by his mother who has gone back to work to pay his rent and bills> He says he doesn't steal he just keeps "borrowing" money from family and friends but now everyone has wised up so who knows how he will pay for his drug use now. It has affected not only his life (he is 40!his mother is an emotional/physical wreck who can never relax or sleep properly as is always waiting for "that" call and there have been many incidences with the CAT team and police. It alters the brain chemistry and is far worse than heroin...Michelle A Friday 30 November, 2012 - 11:53 AM
It is time we stop treating illegal drug users softly, hand out on the spot fines if caught with ANY quantity.
Educate people that it is not only harmful but anti social. The money spent on drugs is taken out of the legal system - so there is less money for Governments to spend on infrastructure, such as hospitals, but drug users also actively support the evil criminal gangs who use violence, stand over tactics and murder to get their way. Imagine living in Mexico with over 11,000 deaths in 2010. OUR drug users bear the shame and guilt associated with this crime.Ray in Berwick Thursday 29 November, 2012 - 6:17 PM
The increase in drug use does not surprise me. Many people use drugs to numb their feelings. But man has been using drugs to alter his thoughts/mind for centuries too.Greg Wednesday 28 November, 2012 - 4:37 PM