- Anger over abortion clinic protest
- 'My dogs didn't do this'
- Playful seal salutes beachgoers
- 'This smells like a Napthine government rort'
- Cruel thieves swipe oxygen trolley
- 'We need to get tough on truckies'
- Hinch freed from jail sans beard
- Woman nearly dies after lack of labelling
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mike on 'My dogs didn't do this' dogs kill domestic animal, put them down, it's that simple more
- Jane on 'My dogs didn't do this' Yes all animals are loved. So what that's not a defence anymore than a thug's mother saying he is always a lovely boy and ... more
- katie on 'My dogs didn't do this' I am an animal lover, both cat and dog, i had a jack russell and CAT, few years ago, my jack russell attacked my cat and ... more
- annie king on 'My dogs didn't do this' these types of dogs should be more secured in anyones yard, she has not done this otherwise the dog would not have got out, ... more
- ian on 'My dogs didn't do this' Pam, If they were my dogs I would have done it at my own expense.?? Oh as if they were "MY DOGS" why should other people ... more
- pam on 'My dogs didn't do this' Ian, read the story.The lady has been at the Dept of Housing who own the property next door to have fences replaced.No funds ... more
- Sarah on 'My dogs didn't do this' My dogs chase and kill rabbits. Is my Council going to put them down or give them a reward. Come on!!! Animals have animal ... more
- Wendy on 'My dogs didn't do this' I am THE ultimate cat lover, however, if cats and dogs are not raised together, they are natural enemies( I also believe ... more
- ian on 'My dogs didn't do this' Why has she not had these dogs or dog registered,as she was told.Also fix the fences up. No excuse.?? more
- Samantha Piercy on 'My dogs didn't do this' I really hope the Frankston Council and Mayor of Frankston offer some kind of support to the family after the council put ... more
- Mark on 'My dogs didn't do this' Councils are siuch heartless animals.THEY are the cruel animals - who's going to punish THEM for the blood on THEIR hands! more
- wayne on Playful seal salutes beachgoers Wildlife officers should have been there to stop people getting to close, the elephant seal that was on a Perth beach ... more
- Mandi on Playful seal salutes beachgoers I couldn't agree more. more
- Angelo on Playful seal salutes beachgoers ^way to kill the mood!Great pics, great fun story more
- Greg on 'This smells like a Napthine government ... It's easy to stop the rort,don't play them. more
- Luke on Playful seal salutes beachgoers People are so clueless to what damage a wild seal can do to someone, particularly a child. But then many people are totally ... more
- ivan tipp on 'We need to get tough on truckies' Truckie bashing is GREAT for a few points Neil. But remember the driver of that small truck was a ratbag. more
- poppitt on Hinch freed from jail sans beard 50 days for $100,000.00 wow why would anyone pay fines. more
- jgl Melb on Hinch freed from jail sans beard A garden variety prison release,or the second coming of Christ? more
- Gloria on Hinch freed from jail sans beard Derryn, please, please, please grow your beard back. more
Alarming increase in methamphetamine use in Victoria
LISTEN BELOW: Assistant Commissioner Steven Fontana speaks with Neil Mitchell
NEIL MITCHELL: Drugs are a big issue today.
We have Collingwood Football club saying there is an illegal drug problem in football. At last that is being recognised
And I agree with Jon Anderson on 3AW Breakfast. This says to me there is a drug scandal that will break in football.
I’ve heard whispers it was brewing last season and I haven’t confirmed it so I won’t broadcast a rumour.
Also today we have surf life saving with a drug scandal emerging..
And we have police figures that show ice usage in Victoria. Meth amphetamine has increased 58.2 per cent in a year.
That is massive. That is terrifying.
But is it a surprise? A gold medallist Matthew Mitcham was in to it.
He told me this on Friday: "I wasn’t using it to party. I wasn’t using to get really messed up. I was using it just to dull and numb the feelings that I was feeling, the depression that I was feeling because I just didn’t want to feel that way anymore".
So we have footballers, elite athletes. Little wonder it is popular.
But the problem here. In fact there are two problems.
Cannabis is more broadly used but ice is soaring and cost up to $1000 a gram.
That means crime is up, the crime to pay for it (I guess unless you are an elite athlete with a lot of money).
And the other issue: How do you get the message through?
We will pursue both issues today.
The increase, the danger to us in crime and what to do about it.
This remember is one of the most dangerous illegal drugs around and our drug culture clearly is growing.
LISTEN: Assistant Commissioner Steven Fontana speaks with Neil Mitchell
Absolutely terrifying to think of the damage caused by this evil filthy stuff, I work with someone who said his niece was using the stuff, and only in her early 20â??s has serious kidney & liver damage, I have heard that some of the ingredients put into this garbage are caustic soda, traces of rat poison etc. don't know if that's correct, but the users can never possibly know what is in the garbage, manufactures of this evil menace should be jailed for life.Jan Friday 14 December, 2012 - 1:08 PM
You all said the same thing 9 years ago and you will be saying the same thing in another 9 years.Matt Thursday 13 December, 2012 - 1:59 PM
My nephew has been a cannabis smoker since his mid-teensand was introduced to Ice by his then girlfriend about 5 years ago. Since then,he has had two stints in a psychiatric facility to treat drug induced psychosis and schizophrenia and can no longer work and is supported by his mother who has gone back to work to pay his rent and bills> He says he doesn't steal he just keeps "borrowing" money from family and friends but now everyone has wised up so who knows how he will pay for his drug use now. It has affected not only his life (he is 40!his mother is an emotional/physical wreck who can never relax or sleep properly as is always waiting for "that" call and there have been many incidences with the CAT team and police. It alters the brain chemistry and is far worse than heroin...Michelle A Friday 30 November, 2012 - 11:53 AM
It is time we stop treating illegal drug users softly, hand out on the spot fines if caught with ANY quantity.
Educate people that it is not only harmful but anti social. The money spent on drugs is taken out of the legal system - so there is less money for Governments to spend on infrastructure, such as hospitals, but drug users also actively support the evil criminal gangs who use violence, stand over tactics and murder to get their way. Imagine living in Mexico with over 11,000 deaths in 2010. OUR drug users bear the shame and guilt associated with this crime.Ray in Berwick Thursday 29 November, 2012 - 6:17 PM
The increase in drug use does not surprise me. Many people use drugs to numb their feelings. But man has been using drugs to alter his thoughts/mind for centuries too.Greg Wednesday 28 November, 2012 - 4:37 PM