- Child attacked by stranger in park
- Teenage pregnancy declining
- Teenage pregnancy declining
- Officers face misconduct hearing
- Offensive graffiti to be removed
- AFLPA fires back at ASADA
- 'I hope I never have to do it again'
- Why your digital TV cuts out
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- jgl Melb on 'Street culture mixed with Islamism' Why?you ask;Because that thing between the ears that allows the overwhelming majority of us to function normally and more ... more
- Christine on 'Street culture mixed with Islamism' Christ, everytime I turn on the TV it's Muslim this, Muslim that. What are they, the centre of the Universe? I don't think ... more
- Peggy on The angry and the bizarre: Radio ... Smells of corruption.What is even more strange is that Reeva's parents are satisfied with the sentence. Which parent would ... more
- King of Footscray on Paid parking approved for Yarraville Only fair and reasonable in my view, especially considering the reliance of paid parking revenue is currently heaped solely ... more
- Mik on Paid parking approved for Yarraville Its about time councils understand that they work for us, not the other way around. I dont actually think that council can ... more
- cChris watts on Paid parking approved for Yarraville why not get rid of all councils and just install an adminastratoerr..saves us all a small fortune more
- greg scott on Paid parking approved for Yarraville Madness.We do not need this 3rd level of government. more
- Peggy on Paid parking approved for Yarraville It's all about revenue raising so they have more money to give themselves payrises and nice trips around the world.Councils ... more
- Ursula Fajerman on 250 animals face death in bank action Wonderful news about the sanctuary. Thank you to the buyers and 3aw. This is the feel good news people need to wake up to. I ... more
- Catherine on Abbott not a 'mainstream world ... Who cares what the Russians says or believed they are morons like there leader and here in Australia they believe a ... more
- Stephen on 'It's a long rant. It's not banter' Oh lets not spend too much time on this he's an educated professor. Lets concentrate on removing Black from Baa Baa Black ... more
- Yank on Abbott not a 'mainstream world ... You should be proud to have a leader with guts. At least Abott's gotta pair we in the US are stuck with Mom Jeans as a ... more
- Andrea on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I bought a puppy from Greg and when it started growing I too doubted the breed of my puppy was what I had purchased. So, I ... more
- Brenda Mentz on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I have owned five miniature poodles and have no doubt this dog is part poodle. But the breed standard for miniature poodles ... more
- Lucy Richards on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' What utter crap this pet shop owner is talking, this dog would have come from a puppy farm. They work as he said on the ... more
- Colin Lacivita on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' How can you expect a dog not to grow and remain small. It's impossible. more
- Fran & Romeo on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I think that was a poorly conducted interview if you invite people to speak on your show don't try to ridicule them I didn't ... more
- Toby Bushby on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' Looks like a Cavoodle to me, with dominant Poodle genes. They can be very small, or grow to larger than this pup is. Ally ... more
- Mandi on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' Get over it and look after the dog it deserves a good life omg humans! more
- Peggy on Police probe school chook killing What is this need to decapitate anything with some people?I guess it might be training for future "tourists" to the middle ... more
Alarming increase in methamphetamine use in Victoria
LISTEN BELOW: Assistant Commissioner Steven Fontana speaks with Neil Mitchell
NEIL MITCHELL: Drugs are a big issue today.
We have Collingwood Football club saying there is an illegal drug problem in football. At last that is being recognised
And I agree with Jon Anderson on 3AW Breakfast. This says to me there is a drug scandal that will break in football.
I’ve heard whispers it was brewing last season and I haven’t confirmed it so I won’t broadcast a rumour.
Also today we have surf life saving with a drug scandal emerging..
And we have police figures that show ice usage in Victoria. Meth amphetamine has increased 58.2 per cent in a year.
That is massive. That is terrifying.
But is it a surprise? A gold medallist Matthew Mitcham was in to it.
He told me this on Friday: "I wasn’t using it to party. I wasn’t using to get really messed up. I was using it just to dull and numb the feelings that I was feeling, the depression that I was feeling because I just didn’t want to feel that way anymore".
So we have footballers, elite athletes. Little wonder it is popular.
But the problem here. In fact there are two problems.
Cannabis is more broadly used but ice is soaring and cost up to $1000 a gram.
That means crime is up, the crime to pay for it (I guess unless you are an elite athlete with a lot of money).
And the other issue: How do you get the message through?
We will pursue both issues today.
The increase, the danger to us in crime and what to do about it.
This remember is one of the most dangerous illegal drugs around and our drug culture clearly is growing.
LISTEN: Assistant Commissioner Steven Fontana speaks with Neil Mitchell
Absolutely terrifying to think of the damage caused by this evil filthy stuff, I work with someone who said his niece was using the stuff, and only in her early 20â??s has serious kidney & liver damage, I have heard that some of the ingredients put into this garbage are caustic soda, traces of rat poison etc. don't know if that's correct, but the users can never possibly know what is in the garbage, manufactures of this evil menace should be jailed for life.Jan Friday 14 December, 2012 - 1:08 PM
You all said the same thing 9 years ago and you will be saying the same thing in another 9 years.Matt Thursday 13 December, 2012 - 1:59 PM
My nephew has been a cannabis smoker since his mid-teensand was introduced to Ice by his then girlfriend about 5 years ago. Since then,he has had two stints in a psychiatric facility to treat drug induced psychosis and schizophrenia and can no longer work and is supported by his mother who has gone back to work to pay his rent and bills> He says he doesn't steal he just keeps "borrowing" money from family and friends but now everyone has wised up so who knows how he will pay for his drug use now. It has affected not only his life (he is 40!his mother is an emotional/physical wreck who can never relax or sleep properly as is always waiting for "that" call and there have been many incidences with the CAT team and police. It alters the brain chemistry and is far worse than heroin...Michelle A Friday 30 November, 2012 - 11:53 AM
It is time we stop treating illegal drug users softly, hand out on the spot fines if caught with ANY quantity.
Educate people that it is not only harmful but anti social. The money spent on drugs is taken out of the legal system - so there is less money for Governments to spend on infrastructure, such as hospitals, but drug users also actively support the evil criminal gangs who use violence, stand over tactics and murder to get their way. Imagine living in Mexico with over 11,000 deaths in 2010. OUR drug users bear the shame and guilt associated with this crime.Ray in Berwick Thursday 29 November, 2012 - 6:17 PM
The increase in drug use does not surprise me. Many people use drugs to numb their feelings. But man has been using drugs to alter his thoughts/mind for centuries too.Greg Wednesday 28 November, 2012 - 4:37 PM