- Photos: Destructive winds lash the state
- 'Banks need to improve their reputation'
- 'I feel like I've earned this'
- Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save lives'
- Footscray surgeon's 'miracle' recovery
- Shooting star Laetisha Scanlan with Neil Mitchell
- Newsreader gaffe: Who am I again?
- Neil Mitchell concedes defeat on speed camera questions
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- David R on Photos: Destructive winds lash the state Monstrous = old.It would have been there before they built the shopping centre and the council probably either wanted them ... more
- Gloss on Photos: Destructive winds lash the state Tanya, perhaps their bloody stupid Council woudn't let them get rid of it. When weather events, like we have been ... more
- Hooksy of the Bush on Photos: Destructive winds lash the state Tanya, don't you mean why on earth did someone build a car park under a monstrous gum tree? more
- heisdeadjim on Photos: Destructive winds lash the state @Tanya. Being my local, there's a chance the tree was there before the car park...m more
- Tanya on Photos: Destructive winds lash the state Re the tree down in Coles - Bayswater.Why on earth did someone plant a monstrous gum tree in a car park?The mind boggles. more
- IBARKER on Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save ... This is not only a man V women it can happen the other way. more
- Milton on Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save ... Why wait for 3 breaches, why not 2 or possibly just 1? more
- Steve on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... How can this man expect anybody to believe such rubbish? Recording a private conversation is legal as long as it is not ... more
- Joe Garra on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Why did they destroy someone else's property?? more
- Eric on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... What a beat up,who cares it is of no importance in the running of the State. Just another example of Neil Mitchell making a ... more
- poppitt on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... It appears Mr Andrews likes to call other politicians out for lying, cheating, stealing, but when it comes to members of his ... more
- Vallipuram on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... so it is ok to vandalise someone elses property As leader of opposition you accept responsibility for vandalism of property ... more
- Dallas on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Peter dalglish forget about tying to find the State Labor website on-line the way you spell you'll end up at a maternity ... more
- Stephen on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Oh and Mr Andrews the property was not yours to destroy!! So theft and criminal damage! The potential charges grow!! more
- Marko on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I'd like to know why no police charges have been laid against Daniel Andrews, Kosmos Samaras, etc? When I was a cop it was ... more
- Bruce on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Mr Andrews still did not take responsibility!He repeatedly stated "It is my responsibility to get to the bottom of it"He ... more
- Bob on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Dead man walking, Mr Andrews. You expect us to believe that all those around you knew about the tape, what was on it, copied ... more
- Kate on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Interesting comment he makes in the second half of the tape at 8.07 - "I first heard this and I am not entirely sure I have ... more
- Fred on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Someone needs to teach Andrews the definition of theft. Only then will he understand what a 'thief' is. Mealy mouthed ... more
- bc on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... poor baby huey andrews the carnival is over .One thing there are grubs on all sides grubby guy is after napthines job.Fancy ... more
Alarming increase in methamphetamine use in Victoria
LISTEN BELOW: Assistant Commissioner Steven Fontana speaks with Neil Mitchell
NEIL MITCHELL: Drugs are a big issue today.
We have Collingwood Football club saying there is an illegal drug problem in football. At last that is being recognised
And I agree with Jon Anderson on 3AW Breakfast. This says to me there is a drug scandal that will break in football.
I’ve heard whispers it was brewing last season and I haven’t confirmed it so I won’t broadcast a rumour.
Also today we have surf life saving with a drug scandal emerging..
And we have police figures that show ice usage in Victoria. Meth amphetamine has increased 58.2 per cent in a year.
That is massive. That is terrifying.
But is it a surprise? A gold medallist Matthew Mitcham was in to it.
He told me this on Friday: "I wasn’t using it to party. I wasn’t using to get really messed up. I was using it just to dull and numb the feelings that I was feeling, the depression that I was feeling because I just didn’t want to feel that way anymore".
So we have footballers, elite athletes. Little wonder it is popular.
But the problem here. In fact there are two problems.
Cannabis is more broadly used but ice is soaring and cost up to $1000 a gram.
That means crime is up, the crime to pay for it (I guess unless you are an elite athlete with a lot of money).
And the other issue: How do you get the message through?
We will pursue both issues today.
The increase, the danger to us in crime and what to do about it.
This remember is one of the most dangerous illegal drugs around and our drug culture clearly is growing.
LISTEN: Assistant Commissioner Steven Fontana speaks with Neil Mitchell
Absolutely terrifying to think of the damage caused by this evil filthy stuff, I work with someone who said his niece was using the stuff, and only in her early 20â??s has serious kidney & liver damage, I have heard that some of the ingredients put into this garbage are caustic soda, traces of rat poison etc. don't know if that's correct, but the users can never possibly know what is in the garbage, manufactures of this evil menace should be jailed for life.Jan Friday 14 December, 2012 - 1:08 PM
You all said the same thing 9 years ago and you will be saying the same thing in another 9 years.Matt Thursday 13 December, 2012 - 1:59 PM
My nephew has been a cannabis smoker since his mid-teensand was introduced to Ice by his then girlfriend about 5 years ago. Since then,he has had two stints in a psychiatric facility to treat drug induced psychosis and schizophrenia and can no longer work and is supported by his mother who has gone back to work to pay his rent and bills> He says he doesn't steal he just keeps "borrowing" money from family and friends but now everyone has wised up so who knows how he will pay for his drug use now. It has affected not only his life (he is 40!his mother is an emotional/physical wreck who can never relax or sleep properly as is always waiting for "that" call and there have been many incidences with the CAT team and police. It alters the brain chemistry and is far worse than heroin...Michelle A Friday 30 November, 2012 - 11:53 AM
It is time we stop treating illegal drug users softly, hand out on the spot fines if caught with ANY quantity.
Educate people that it is not only harmful but anti social. The money spent on drugs is taken out of the legal system - so there is less money for Governments to spend on infrastructure, such as hospitals, but drug users also actively support the evil criminal gangs who use violence, stand over tactics and murder to get their way. Imagine living in Mexico with over 11,000 deaths in 2010. OUR drug users bear the shame and guilt associated with this crime.Ray in Berwick Thursday 29 November, 2012 - 6:17 PM
The increase in drug use does not surprise me. Many people use drugs to numb their feelings. But man has been using drugs to alter his thoughts/mind for centuries too.Greg Wednesday 28 November, 2012 - 4:37 PM