- Photos: Windy Victoria prepares for worse
- 'Banks need to improve their reputation'
- 'I feel like I've earned this'
- Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save lives'
- Footscray surgeon's 'miracle' recovery
- Shooting star Laetisha Scanlan with Neil Mitchell
- Newsreader gaffe: Who am I again?
- Neil Mitchell concedes defeat on speed camera questions
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- IBARKER on Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save ... This is not only a man V women it can happen the other way. more
- Milton on Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save ... Why wait for 3 breaches, why not 2 or possibly just 1? more
- Steve on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... How can this man expect anybody to believe such rubbish? Recording a private conversation is legal as long as it is not ... more
- Joe Garra on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Why did they destroy someone else's property?? more
- Eric on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... What a beat up,who cares it is of no importance in the running of the State. Just another example of Neil Mitchell making a ... more
- poppitt on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... It appears Mr Andrews likes to call other politicians out for lying, cheating, stealing, but when it comes to members of his ... more
- Vallipuram on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... so it is ok to vandalise someone elses property As leader of opposition you accept responsibility for vandalism of property ... more
- Dallas on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Peter dalglish forget about tying to find the State Labor website on-line the way you spell you'll end up at a maternity ... more
- Stephen on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Oh and Mr Andrews the property was not yours to destroy!! So theft and criminal damage! The potential charges grow!! more
- Marko on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I'd like to know why no police charges have been laid against Daniel Andrews, Kosmos Samaras, etc? When I was a cop it was ... more
- Bruce on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Mr Andrews still did not take responsibility!He repeatedly stated "It is my responsibility to get to the bottom of it"He ... more
- Bob on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Dead man walking, Mr Andrews. You expect us to believe that all those around you knew about the tape, what was on it, copied ... more
- Kate on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Interesting comment he makes in the second half of the tape at 8.07 - "I first heard this and I am not entirely sure I have ... more
- Fred on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Someone needs to teach Andrews the definition of theft. Only then will he understand what a 'thief' is. Mealy mouthed ... more
- bc on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... poor baby huey andrews the carnival is over .One thing there are grubs on all sides grubby guy is after napthines job.Fancy ... more
- Peter dalglish on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Daniels Andrews connected with unions federal opposition leader connected with unions, see a pattern happening here.Now to ... more
- Big Al on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I have no faith or respect for any of our politicians. They are all devious and incompetent. Most people I speak to are ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Woman disgusted over 'death' plate This is unforgivable. The driver of this vehicle should be exposed so we can see who he really is. He should not be allowed ... more
- IBARKER on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Poppitt ?? Where are you for out thou. more
- Liz on Work for the dole 'unfair' on jobseekers If they stop sending all our jobs overseas. There would be plenty avail.If they leave call centre jobs in Australia there ... more
Attorney-General Robert Clark to head social media working group
Attorneys-General across the country have set up a working group to create national social media guidelines in response to material prejudicial to the trial of Jill Meagher’s alleged killer was posted on Facebook and Twitter.
After Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay revealed Facebook were uncooperative to remove pages inciting violence against the man charged with Jill Meagher’s rape and murder, Neil Mitchell said the world’s most popular social networking site was devoid of social responsibility.
”It’s beyond my comprehension, they have no social responsibility as far as I can see, Facebook. And nor will they attempt to answer to the criticisms,” he said.
Victorian Attorney-General Robert Clark told Neil Mitchell government needed to strike a ‘fair and workable balance’ between freedom of speech and avoiding prejudicing fair trials.
”What we've got to do is get procedures that can make sure that material that runs the risk of prejudicing a fair trial can be taken down, that users know what their responsibilities are and…that jurors are properly warned about ignoring prejudicial material that might come to their attention,” he said.
”They certainly say that they want appropriate user policies and to comply with the law. We want to open up that discussion with them.”
Mr Clark said clear protocols needed to be established across the courts and law enforcement agencies in order for offending sites to be identified, leading to Facebook urgently removing them.
"We want to take Facebook and others at face value and try to get some clear guidelines that are workable for them and which protect the community and don't prejudice fair trials,” he said.
Mr Clark said social networking sites were the modern day form of gossip, and the organisations needed to help educate their users about the potential legal risks their posts may contain.
"I'm sure a number of people who put things up on social media wouldn't realise the potential legal consequences,” he said.
LISTEN: Attorney-General Robert Clark speaks with Neil Mitchell: