- Take away Camilleri's privileges
- Racial abuse on the rise
- Why demean Gallipoli?
- 'Geoff Shaw should quit parliament'
- Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal with James Hird and Essendon
- 'The AFL and Essendon drug scandal is back'
- Mandate for Abbott?
- Fairfield station's new holding cell
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- BRENDA on Black Saturday survivor: The money's ... something to consider, people. While the fire victims need counselling many veterans from Afghanistan and other places who ... more
- Gloria on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... Can't believe the vitriol levelled at Andrew, he is telling the truth and if Essendon or some benefactor is paying Hird he ... more
- CHRIS WATTS on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... DOES THIS 2 MILLION DOLLAR A YEAR MAN REALLY KNOW WHAT DAY IT IS more
- mylene on Why demean Gallipoli? Keating did really well in the ratings and was never out of the top 10. Maybe they could follow it up with Andrew Bolt ... more
- JamesD on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... Herald continues with banner headlines on AFL & Demetriou - during the year Fairfax seemed to know lot more about issue. Is ... more
- Robert Rich on 'The AFL and Essendon drug scandal is ... I believe if James Hird took the AFL to court he would have won what a joke sack Andrew more
- Maureen on 'Geoff Shaw should quit parliament' He was found NOT guilty of anything and has left plenty of egg on the face of Mitchell, the Herald Sun and feral Labor ... more
- Matthew on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... I wonder how Demetriou will cope in jail? Because that's what this is all about, he is facing a jail sentence if found ... more
- Jake on Why demean Gallipoli? Would anyone expect different of bagman Keating? more
- Jake on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... This is not about integrity and doing teh right thing. Rather it is about protecting the AFL brand and for Andrew ... more
- Jake on 'Geoff Shaw should quit parliament' That Shaw is a disgrace is not in question But I disagree that he should resign. Let the ballot box decide at the next ... more
- mylene on Mandate for Abbott? "One blue"?? He's tried to start conflict with both Indonesia and China and sent ASIO after Aussie lawyers. If the rest of ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Why demean Gallipoli? @Milton posting - yes an excellent comment indeed. Maybe we right thinking voters should have a Hall of Shame in the ... more
- Tim on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... So what's the threat tape that's been rumoured??I doubt Demetrio will survive this and he should take Wilson with him. more
- Albert chapman on Why demean Gallipoli? Neil Gallipoli is important in our history but not the "Birth of the Nation". I believe the event of December 1854 at Eureka ... more
- nat carr on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... If no Essendon player is stood down for taking illegal drugs then Essendon and the AFL have done the deal . more
- Greg on 'Geoff Shaw should quit parliament' Australia is far too lenient when it comes to Politicians indiscretions.That's why they all rort the system.When it comes to ... more
- Willow on Why demean Gallipoli? I have always detested Keating and believe that he and Hawke were/are both evil men. more
- Aaron on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... Gloria, more fool you if you believe Andrew D. AD is a criminal himself. more
- Aaron on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... Craig, this story has nothing to do with what Essendon may or may not have done. It has ALL to do with how dodgy the AFL ... more
Bogut: Concentrate on your events and not fighting each other
NBA superstar and Boomer Andrew Bogut has called on the Australian team to focus their energy towards beating their opponents, rather than creating tension within the ranks.
Speaking with Neil Mitchell, the injured basketballer said he hopes the Australian team puts as much fight into competing against other countries as they have given to fighting each other.
"All these issues, to me a lot of them are non-issues that can be discussed after the Olympics,” Bogut said. “Why bring them up now and create tension amongst the ranks? You've got to see some of these athletes in the village that you're competing against. It's just not good for team morale.”
”You put that energy towards beating the USA, or Russia or China, I think it'll be better suited.”
Bogut’s calls come after sprinters John Steffensen and Josh Ross criticised officials after they failed to make selection for individual events.
”I believe I have the potential right now to make a semi-final or an Olympic final in the form that I’m in,” Josh Ross said.
Sprinter Josh Ross complains to the Australian media in London after not being included in individual track events. (Photo: Pat Scala)
Chef de Mission Nick Green has called on the Australian team to stop whinging and concentrate on competing.
” My suggestion would be that you get into the village, you put your head down and your bum up and you just concentrate on your job, and that is to run and compete for this country,” he said.
Andrew Bogut said he believed some of the stirs caused by Australian athletes recently, such as shooters Russell and Lauren Mark’s complaints that they would not be sharing a room in the athlete’s village, and beach volleyballer Natalie Cook’s off-the-cuff threat to boycott the Opening Ceremony should a female not be chosen to be the Australian flag bearer, were examples of smaller sports trying to attract media attention.
”A lot of us wouldn’t' really know who his (Russel Mark) wife was leading into the Olympics, but now we all do,” he said.
”Here we are talking about sleeping pills and rooming with my wife...When's it going to end?”
Andrew Bogut has attended two Olympic Games, but will miss London after breaking his ankle in January.
LISTEN: Andrew Bogut speaks with Neil Mitchell:
I agree Kathy - it would be wonderful if Australia lost every event and came home with no medals. Unfortunately they would use that as an excuse to waste even more taxpayers money on Olympic training. You just can't win against the sports-mad ignorant Australian public.Peter Hillster Friday 27 July, 2012 - 7:09 AM
North Korean state television has confirmed that the country's leader Kim Jong-un is married to a woman named Ri Sol-ju.
I imagine she signs her credit card statemetns RSol, kind of a catchy name for some reason.Pieter van Wessem Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 5:09 PM
Well the games are in London the home of the whinning poms. As the old saying goes "When in Rome do as the Romans do"Ben Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 3:53 PM
This Olympic squad will go down in history and being the biggest pack of sooks. They have brought shame on Australia.Lisa Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 3:30 PM
I am sick and tired of the whinning Australian Olympic team. I hope the Aussies now get flogged in every single event as they do not deserve our support any longer.Kathy Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 2:54 PM
Anyone else want to point to the elephant in the room?
Memo to Messrs Ross & Steffensen, just because you are indigenous or part thereof, doesn't give you a mortgage on an individual spot in your chosen event and playing the race card and generally sooking does not endear you to the Australian public. You in particular Steffensen, with your petulant display the other day by missing the team photograph, should take a big spoonful of cement and harden up.
You do yourselves no favours and in the bigger picture, crap like this does nothing to enhance the great social engineering project we call'reconciliation'. At least being indigenous will ensure your punishment, (if you even get one), is a mere slap on the wrist.
As for Russel Mark, I'm sure you will get to sleep with your missus again mate, just concentrate on shooting clay discs and Natalie, Germaine Greer you aint so just play volleyball. Effectively, you have all applied the blowtorch to yourselves and have only increased the pressure and expectation to perform and win medals.Of course, if you fail you will all say your preparations were torpedoed by external distractions, one's that you yourselves orchestrated!!!Sinbad Thursday 26 July, 2012 - 2:16 PM