- Bill's no-brainer: 'We're in this together'
- 'It's very little time for taking a life'
- Kennett: 'This is sheer incompetence'
- Ice driving killer verdict 'not adequate'
- Good idea or just rubbish?
- 'It's complex': Mayor defends slow Sydney Rd CCTV installation
- 'Blame the tradie, not contestants'
- Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of welfare'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Aaaa on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... It doesn't set a good example does it! Just proves how easily anyone can get away with a situation like this. They are ... more
- Lukew on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... What would be enough? more
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
- Jane on Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of ... Well this is one thing i agree with. Tired of tip-toeing on this issue. There are not hundreds of Muslims that support ... more
- Linda on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Christine Milne is as big a threat to our national security as groups like ISIS. Even the tiniest chink in our political ... more
- GIW on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Yes Mylene, that is the aim of Islam to take over the world. As a caller on the Sunday Morning show yesterdays said, there ... more
- mylene on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Don't worry in a couple of years we'll be trading with ISIS and the Taliban and anyone who mentions the war will be shouted ... more
- Jeff on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... As parents of young kids i cannot believe Essendon has put James Hird back in as coach, Hird should have nothing to do with ... more
- Stephen on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... Doesn't know a lot really does he! Including if the Bombers took anything illeagal!AFL Another Fool Leader. more
- Diane on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... How silly to have a coaches meeting when there are finals on and other coaches are having their reviews. more
- Jimbob on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... I wonder what the risk factor is for those other clubs attempting to poach essendong starts caught in this. If the worst ... more
- Mel on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Our neighbours also have a fox terrier & it's one of the most aggressive & unsocialised dogs I have seen! Has prevented us ... more
- Wayne on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... to wendy who wrote "Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this ... more
- Sam Maglitto on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... I heard this report on the radio this afternoon and being a Dog Lover I was horrified to think there are other owners who ... more
- wendy on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this would get peoples ... more
- Stephanie on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Such a tragedy for all involved. more
- Robert on 'PM's popularity between asbestos and ... But when he opposes public transport, his ratings suffer. His being so good at opposing things, particularly public ... more
- jgl Melb on 'If Ashby is right, Pyne should quit' Christopher Pyne;Verbal gymnast extraordinaire...Putting it politely more
- Colin Lacivita on Phone scam targets grieving widow I always get emails promising me money. I don't care who they are I always send a email back warning that their contact ... more
Book with paedophilia, incest & suicide on VCE reading list
Will these people never learn?
Every now and again, the people who teach our kids pop up with a piece of stupidity. A book or a play that is totally inappropriate for kids to study.
This is such a case.
Have you read a book called ‘Love in the time of Cholera’ by Gabriel Garcia Marquez? I must say I have not, but this is on the VCE list for next year.
Writing in The Age, a senior teacher at Trinity Grammar says it is totally inappropriate, and people we have spoken to agree.
This book includes, as part of the plot of a 14-year-old girl having a sexual affair with a man in his 70s, an incestuous affair. Her HSC school performance drops off, so she kills herself.
SO, kids studying something that arguably legitimises paedophilia and sanitises suicide as a legitimate way out.
The critic, the teacher, is Christopher Bantick. He finishes with his point: “This book is offensive because it says repeatedly that screwing - yes, it's an ugly word - a child is for art's sake, well excusable. Is it? You decide.”
In a time when we have a Royal Commissioner into paedophilia and deep concerns about Youth Suicide, somebody has made a bad error putting this on the reading list.
It is not too late. Drop it.
We are trying to get answers from the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority.
LISTEN: Christopher Bantick speaks with Neil Mitchell:
Every level and aspect of our education system has been completely subverted by feminist ideology and its feverish off-shoots. I sat and listened outside of my daughter's classroom while I waited for the bell and during that ten minutes I heard several derogatory remarks made about boys. Original sin in the church of Wimmin.jim morris Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 9:37 PM
Neil, the fact that you are still referring to the young adults that read these novels as part of their year eleven or twelve studies is proof itself that you have no idea.
This book should not be branded as a "Book with paedophilia, incest & suicide", as that is not all it is and will give many people the wrong idea about what is actually an incredibly well written book.
Let me give you another scenario. If the book were to be written about a women of twenty years old and a man of thirty, would it still be deemed inappropriate?
How about we begin to read books as books and not as guide manuals?Harrison Tomkins Sunday 13 January, 2013 - 2:05 PM
Neil, you are a radio announcer choosing to comment on a Nobel prize winning authors incredibly intelligent, sensitive and honest novel about unrequited love and life experience, which may I add you have failed to read. Please stop embarrassing yourself with your ignorance of high literature, a subject you are clearly not an expert and stick to what you know, provincial news and sport. Stay well clear of the arts.Rosie Wednesday 19 December, 2012 - 8:09 PM
Just because we're students, it doesn't mean we aren't capable of reading books based on these themes. Believe it or not, this book isn't the first time themes such as these have appeared in the VCE curriculum. This course is designed for 17-18 year olds, not primary school aged children. We are actually far more mature than you think, and for people to assume that reading this book will cause myself and other students to "legitimise paedophilia" and "sanitise suicide" is actually quite an insult to my intelligence and maturity. Give us a chance.Rebekah - VCE Student. Saturday 15 December, 2012 - 8:38 PM
The results of the IEA test is no surprise. We should be worrying more about our children being able to read, rather than what they read! Sadly, our children are ranked 27th in the world - that is, behind most countries which don't even speak English as a first language. With the current teacher's union dispute, wanting more money so they can be the best paid in the country, it begs the question - are they the best performing teachers? Obviously theyâ??re failing to lay down the crucial groundwork. Every day I'm reminded in business correspondence that most people under 35 can't even differentiate between - there, their and they're OR you're and your. The Victorian teaching profession needs to get back to basics and focus on fundamentals. The result will then be reflected in their wages, quid pro quo!Coralee Wednesday 12 December, 2012 - 10:41 AM
After your description from the book, I'm sure MANY PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BUY AND TO READ THAT BOOK!!! I reed it ten years ago and I agree: it isn't for children or inmature and closed main people.Carmen Juarez Tuesday 11 December, 2012 - 10:57 AM