- 'I feel like I've earned this'
- Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save lives'
- Footscray surgeon's 'miracle' recovery
- Shooting star Laetisha Scanlan with Neil Mitchell
- Newsreader gaffe: Who am I again?
- Neil Mitchell concedes defeat on speed camera questions
- WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full responsibility for 'dirty mess'
- 'He was left lying in a pool of blood'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- IBARKER on Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save ... This is not only a man V women it can happen the other way. more
- Milton on Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save ... Why wait for 3 breaches, why not 2 or possibly just 1? more
- Steve on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... How can this man expect anybody to believe such rubbish? Recording a private conversation is legal as long as it is not ... more
- Joe Garra on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Why did they destroy someone else's property?? more
- Eric on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... What a beat up,who cares it is of no importance in the running of the State. Just another example of Neil Mitchell making a ... more
- poppitt on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... It appears Mr Andrews likes to call other politicians out for lying, cheating, stealing, but when it comes to members of his ... more
- Vallipuram on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... so it is ok to vandalise someone elses property As leader of opposition you accept responsibility for vandalism of property ... more
- Dallas on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Peter dalglish forget about tying to find the State Labor website on-line the way you spell you'll end up at a maternity ... more
- Stephen on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Oh and Mr Andrews the property was not yours to destroy!! So theft and criminal damage! The potential charges grow!! more
- Marko on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I'd like to know why no police charges have been laid against Daniel Andrews, Kosmos Samaras, etc? When I was a cop it was ... more
- Bruce on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Mr Andrews still did not take responsibility!He repeatedly stated "It is my responsibility to get to the bottom of it"He ... more
- Bob on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Dead man walking, Mr Andrews. You expect us to believe that all those around you knew about the tape, what was on it, copied ... more
- Kate on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Interesting comment he makes in the second half of the tape at 8.07 - "I first heard this and I am not entirely sure I have ... more
- Fred on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Someone needs to teach Andrews the definition of theft. Only then will he understand what a 'thief' is. Mealy mouthed ... more
- bc on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... poor baby huey andrews the carnival is over .One thing there are grubs on all sides grubby guy is after napthines job.Fancy ... more
- Peter dalglish on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Daniels Andrews connected with unions federal opposition leader connected with unions, see a pattern happening here.Now to ... more
- Big Al on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I have no faith or respect for any of our politicians. They are all devious and incompetent. Most people I speak to are ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Woman disgusted over 'death' plate This is unforgivable. The driver of this vehicle should be exposed so we can see who he really is. He should not be allowed ... more
- IBARKER on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Poppitt ?? Where are you for out thou. more
- Liz on Work for the dole 'unfair' on jobseekers If they stop sending all our jobs overseas. There would be plenty avail.If they leave call centre jobs in Australia there ... more
Book with paedophilia, incest & suicide on VCE reading list
Will these people never learn?
Every now and again, the people who teach our kids pop up with a piece of stupidity. A book or a play that is totally inappropriate for kids to study.
This is such a case.
Have you read a book called ‘Love in the time of Cholera’ by Gabriel Garcia Marquez? I must say I have not, but this is on the VCE list for next year.
Writing in The Age, a senior teacher at Trinity Grammar says it is totally inappropriate, and people we have spoken to agree.
This book includes, as part of the plot of a 14-year-old girl having a sexual affair with a man in his 70s, an incestuous affair. Her HSC school performance drops off, so she kills herself.
SO, kids studying something that arguably legitimises paedophilia and sanitises suicide as a legitimate way out.
The critic, the teacher, is Christopher Bantick. He finishes with his point: “This book is offensive because it says repeatedly that screwing - yes, it's an ugly word - a child is for art's sake, well excusable. Is it? You decide.”
In a time when we have a Royal Commissioner into paedophilia and deep concerns about Youth Suicide, somebody has made a bad error putting this on the reading list.
It is not too late. Drop it.
We are trying to get answers from the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority.
LISTEN: Christopher Bantick speaks with Neil Mitchell:
Every level and aspect of our education system has been completely subverted by feminist ideology and its feverish off-shoots. I sat and listened outside of my daughter's classroom while I waited for the bell and during that ten minutes I heard several derogatory remarks made about boys. Original sin in the church of Wimmin.jim morris Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 9:37 PM
Neil, the fact that you are still referring to the young adults that read these novels as part of their year eleven or twelve studies is proof itself that you have no idea.
This book should not be branded as a "Book with paedophilia, incest & suicide", as that is not all it is and will give many people the wrong idea about what is actually an incredibly well written book.
Let me give you another scenario. If the book were to be written about a women of twenty years old and a man of thirty, would it still be deemed inappropriate?
How about we begin to read books as books and not as guide manuals?Harrison Tomkins Sunday 13 January, 2013 - 2:05 PM
Neil, you are a radio announcer choosing to comment on a Nobel prize winning authors incredibly intelligent, sensitive and honest novel about unrequited love and life experience, which may I add you have failed to read. Please stop embarrassing yourself with your ignorance of high literature, a subject you are clearly not an expert and stick to what you know, provincial news and sport. Stay well clear of the arts.Rosie Wednesday 19 December, 2012 - 8:09 PM
Just because we're students, it doesn't mean we aren't capable of reading books based on these themes. Believe it or not, this book isn't the first time themes such as these have appeared in the VCE curriculum. This course is designed for 17-18 year olds, not primary school aged children. We are actually far more mature than you think, and for people to assume that reading this book will cause myself and other students to "legitimise paedophilia" and "sanitise suicide" is actually quite an insult to my intelligence and maturity. Give us a chance.Rebekah - VCE Student. Saturday 15 December, 2012 - 8:38 PM
The results of the IEA test is no surprise. We should be worrying more about our children being able to read, rather than what they read! Sadly, our children are ranked 27th in the world - that is, behind most countries which don't even speak English as a first language. With the current teacher's union dispute, wanting more money so they can be the best paid in the country, it begs the question - are they the best performing teachers? Obviously theyâ??re failing to lay down the crucial groundwork. Every day I'm reminded in business correspondence that most people under 35 can't even differentiate between - there, their and they're OR you're and your. The Victorian teaching profession needs to get back to basics and focus on fundamentals. The result will then be reflected in their wages, quid pro quo!Coralee Wednesday 12 December, 2012 - 10:41 AM
After your description from the book, I'm sure MANY PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BUY AND TO READ THAT BOOK!!! I reed it ten years ago and I agree: it isn't for children or inmature and closed main people.Carmen Juarez Tuesday 11 December, 2012 - 10:57 AM