- Labor deal with Pies is 'ridiculous'
- 'Indian leaders must stand up for Australia'
- Father wants dog put down after attack
- Analogue TV switch-off
- Murdered Moonee Ponds man's possible link to Transfield
- Punting heartbreak: Family 'loses' $400k
- Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade
- Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' horror
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Snoopy on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade I think Darran is the hero off the week !!!! ill let them put one in if they put their head in a microwave fot 10 minutes an ... more
- Roseagain on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade A smart meter made us so sick we couldn't live in our home. After months of fighting to get it removed, we gave up, sold my ... more
- mandy on Father wants dog put down after attack Yeah the damage has been done of course its not nice for everyone involved killing the dog is going too far move on.Let ... more
- Amanda Price on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade Of course we should have the right to stop smart meters. Why would anyone risk the health of their families by not trying ... more
- steve on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade No bloody wonder with the amount of time,staff and money wasted on ridicules inductions and over the top corporate ... more
- Factsseeker on 'Indian leaders must stand up for ... Australia isn't just a country where Indians might be killed. This is the king-hit capital of the world. If a sadist sees ... more
- Imadrivertoo on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... As an active cyclist I can confirm this kind of driving practice is all too common. Worse still is that they've often just ... more
- greg on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... The usual creative reporting! If true the cyclist should not have punched the woman and should be charged if caught. But I ... more
- Tony on Father wants dog put down after attack Get over it and move on Trevor Oliver!. If you weren't so belligerent about having this dog killed maybe your whole family ... more
- Jannie on Punting heartbreak: Family 'loses' $400k A punters club is a gambling club. Everyone knows that you should not be gambling your money if you can't afford to loose ... more
- SheGotWhatSheDeserved on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl Well look it from this angle, after getting punched, does the ticket inspector know:a) She is a kidb) Is she concealing a ... more
- Anne-Marie on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade There is NO law that says you have to have a smart meter. There is only a mandate between the government and the power ... more
- Butterfly K on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade Good on you Darren, we need to stand up for our rights as human beings & not as sheep - like many who have already had them ... more
- Paul on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade Grant, there is no proof that the power companies own the meter. In my case (and plenty of others) I was told to have an ... more
- Di on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade No matter what Simon, Smarty and Grant have to say, as human beings and citizens we have a right to defend what we consider ... more
- Sharron on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade @Jeff you're wrong about that, suggest you do some proper research next time. @ Cheryl since when is someone a 'tool' for ... more
- Melbourne Sheila on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl Violence against women and children is okay in the name of "discipline". Look at all the "she deserved it" blaming. If she ... more
- john on Labor deal with Pies is 'ridiculous' Neil, Neil, 1958 was 55 years ago, time to get over it, just because the melbourne football club was offered the Westpac ... more
- CC on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade The Essential Services Commission has got at least one complaint, if not more, about United Energy smart meter installers. ... more
- Mark on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl I put it to the do-gooders defending this individual who "spat" in the face of one of the Metro staff that other than the ... more
Clown doctor hopes government cash injection can make being silly serious business
A clown doctor hopes new research could lead to an injection of government funding to help make being silly serious business.
Speaking with Neil Mitchell, Dr Peter Spitzer, Co-Founder and Medical Director of The Humour Foundation said the research showed the difference ‘court jesters’ can make in a serious situation.
The ‘only doctor silly enough’ to also work as a clown is among over 50 professional performers trained to work in critical care in 21 hospitals around Australia.
Dr Spitzer said patients exposed to clown doctors enjoyed a range of medical benefits, including reduced anxiety, an increase in endorphins, a decrease in stress hormones, and improvements to the immune system and respiratory tract.
Dr Spitzer said the foundation relied on private funding, and are only able to be in major hospitals three days a week, 50 weeks a year. He hoped they could increase clowns’ presence in hospitals to five to seven days every week.
He said the research presented at a children’s healthcare conference yesterday, which showed physical and physiological improvements experienced by young patients exposed to clown doctors, showed more research was needed.
LISTEN: Co-Founder and Medical Director of The Humour Foundation Dr Peter Spitzer speaks with Neil Mitchell: