- Ice driving killer verdict 'not adequate'
- Good idea or just rubbish?
- 'It's complex': Mayor defends slow Sydney Rd CCTV installation
- 'Blame the tradie, not contestants'
- Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of welfare'
- Classic or crazy? Cazaly re-made
- Australia in for 'long haul' against ISIS
- George the Goldfish saved with surgery
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
- Jane on Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of ... Well this is one thing i agree with. Tired of tip-toeing on this issue. There are not hundreds of Muslims that support ... more
- Linda on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Christine Milne is as big a threat to our national security as groups like ISIS. Even the tiniest chink in our political ... more
- GIW on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Yes Mylene, that is the aim of Islam to take over the world. As a caller on the Sunday Morning show yesterdays said, there ... more
- mylene on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Don't worry in a couple of years we'll be trading with ISIS and the Taliban and anyone who mentions the war will be shouted ... more
- Jeff on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... As parents of young kids i cannot believe Essendon has put James Hird back in as coach, Hird should have nothing to do with ... more
- Stephen on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... Doesn't know a lot really does he! Including if the Bombers took anything illeagal!AFL Another Fool Leader. more
- Diane on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... How silly to have a coaches meeting when there are finals on and other coaches are having their reviews. more
- Jimbob on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... I wonder what the risk factor is for those other clubs attempting to poach essendong starts caught in this. If the worst ... more
- Mel on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Our neighbours also have a fox terrier & it's one of the most aggressive & unsocialised dogs I have seen! Has prevented us ... more
- Wayne on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... to wendy who wrote "Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this ... more
- Sam Maglitto on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... I heard this report on the radio this afternoon and being a Dog Lover I was horrified to think there are other owners who ... more
- wendy on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this would get peoples ... more
- Stephanie on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Such a tragedy for all involved. more
- Robert on 'PM's popularity between asbestos and ... But when he opposes public transport, his ratings suffer. His being so good at opposing things, particularly public ... more
- jgl Melb on 'If Ashby is right, Pyne should quit' Christopher Pyne;Verbal gymnast extraordinaire...Putting it politely more
- Colin Lacivita on Phone scam targets grieving widow I always get emails promising me money. I don't care who they are I always send a email back warning that their contact ... more
- David R on Council backs down over fees Typical heartless unthinking council bureaucrats. And its not the Councillors its the people manning the front desk or the ... more
- mike on Labor's tough new stance against 'evil' So trafficking drugs away from a school is less illegal?And why drug busses? Target pubs/clubs! I hear more and more people ... more
Couple in 60s to run a marathon every day of 2013
A couple in their sixties have committed to running a marathon a day, every day in 2013.
Speaking with Neil Mitchell, Janette Murray-Wakelin, 63, said she and her husband Alan Murray, 67, are committed to running the full 42.3km each day around Australia, having already run 6,000km this year in preparation.
If successful, the pair will have logged 15,439.5km each by the year’s end.
When asked why they would put their bodies through a marathon for 365 days straight, Ms Murray-Wakelin said: “Because we can.”
”It's something we can do to help inspire people. The run itself, it's an awareness and fundraising event to inspire and motivate people to think more consciously about the choices they make.”
Ever since being diagnosed with breast cancer in 2001, Ms Murray-Wakelin has consumed raw, nutrient-laden foods and increased the distance she would run to help fight the disease. She said despite being told she had six months to live, she decided against undergoing chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment.
In order to avoid injury, the pair will run in ‘barefoot shoes’ which Ms Murray-Wakelin said was akin to running barefoot: “So when you're running barefoot, you're running the way your body technically works and therefore you don't get injured.”
Ms Murray-Wakelin denied she was an ‘old hippy’, describing herself as an ultra-runner and a ‘very conscious thinker.
Wow, all kudos to you both for your commitment to fit and enquired lives. And may you continue to enjoy your companionship.mk Wednesday 3 April, 2013 - 5:07 AM
Why run 42.3k a day when the marathon is 42.195k?Terry Wednesday 2 January, 2013 - 11:44 AM
Knowing, from personal experience, the deletarious effects of running even a single marathon, I am concerned for their long-term health. I can only hope that they are made of sterner stuff than most and that it doesn't get them down.
Also fascinated to see the effects of long-term use of 'barefoot' shoes. Thanks for being guinea pigs for the rest of us! What sort, BTW? Toed or toeless?Terry Wednesday 2 January, 2013 - 9:32 AM
Good luck Janette and Alan.
Wish you wellDavid Wednesday 5 December, 2012 - 11:51 PM
WOW!!! I'm inspired!! So you can reverse even advanced cancer with diet and lifestyle, and run a marathon a day years later to tell about it!!! I hope this catches on!!! All the best for your run, you brilliant two!!! :-)Jo Wednesday 5 December, 2012 - 4:52 PM