- NBN BS must stop: Turnbull
- 'Who's accountable for this mess?'
- Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake Santa video
- Boy suspended for kissing girl's hand
- 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou a liar'
- Labor deal with Pies is 'ridiculous'
- 'Indian leaders must stand up for Australia'
- Father wants dog put down after attack
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Tony on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... I Agree Neil."a yearâ??s holiday on full pay."Where is the penalty in that?? more
- glenn on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Gee you can see who the Essendon supporters are,why don't you all look outside your red and black bubble and admit that ... more
- Aditya on 'Indian leaders must stand up for ... As an Indian immigrant, this line resonates very strongly with me, "This is a fair country. It has some idiots, but mostly ... more
- Aditya on 'Indian leaders must stand up for ... As an Indian immigrant into this beautiful country, I absolutely agree with the above. In seven and a half years in ... more
- mandy on Boy suspended for kissing girl's hand Omg reporting a 6 yr old boy to police and the child being suspended this can't be true.Of course its America. more
- Peggy on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... So many cyclists here are complaining about bad drivers. I agree, there are a lot of bad drivers out there but there is one ... more
- mandy on 'Indian leaders must stand up for ... Australia has been extremely generous to Indians and other nationalitys and has given them every opportunity to enrich their ... more
- Martin Kelly on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... THis is what happens when people step outside the system.ASADA has a very legitimate role to play and the AFL does not.ASADA ... more
- Peggy on Father wants dog put down after attack Typical, people let dogs supervise their kids rather than them having to do it.Why is any child left alone with a dog? How ... more
- Sheldon on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Why pick on Tania? Why not pick on Andrew for lying and misleading us? more
- JamesD on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... What was the AFL supposed to do? Let Essendon continue - play in finals -ignore everything. A negotiated settlement was ... more
- peter on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Lovely stuff the tit for tat continues. All this shows is how incompetent the AFL are in the handling of this matter and ... more
- lawyer verbalising crap on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... Think sideways, even out of the square, JGL. So far all you have done in your mediocre efforts to contribute on a myriad of ... more
- Jester4212 on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade @Roseagain. The SMART Meters communicate using low power RF electrical transmissions. Similar to that of your mobile ... more
- Jake on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... It is perfectly understandable why Tania is speaking out. Poor maligned James undoubtedly reached a soft deal with the AFL ... more
- Clarity on Labor deal with Pies is 'ridiculous' We are looking for a grant to purchase a property for the establishment of a refuge for victims of domestic violence. It is ... more
- colin on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade I wonder what all the real advantages of having a smart meter are. Is there a documented list provided by the electricity ... more
- Gloria on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... If you believe that Hird had nothing to do with the EFC supplement experiment, whether they were banned drugs or not, you ... more
- Willow on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Bulldust, Hird gaGged so the mIssus is now sticking up for him, as of course she would. Hird is complicit in an organised ... more
- Christine on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Hold on Neil, the EFC has been gagged and bullied, good on his wife for speaking out. There are always 2 sides to the story ... more
Depression can be tough, but it is treatable - Ian Thorpe proves it
Ian Thorpe is arguably Australia’s greatest sportsman.
Five Olympic gold medals, at 14 years of age he was the youngest swimmer to represent Australia, and six hold at one world titles.
He was the most successful athlete at the Sydney Games: 3 Gold, 2 Silver.
He was an extraordinary swimmer, and he did much of it drunk, depressed, and taking medication for his mental health.
He has explained this in his autobiography, some of which was released at the weekend.
This really shows me how strong Thorpe is. What he has done here could be as important as his swimming.
He admits to being suicidal, he admits to heavy drinking – which he hid. He says he has been treated for depression for a long time and taken medication for it.
He talks about the highs of gold not being as high because he was medicated. He talks about world titles not giving him the huge buzz for the same reason.
And the best thing, he survives. He is getting on with life.
There are a couple of messages here: how far we have come and how a person can hide it.
Ian Thorpe can talk openly about his mental health and nobody mocks or shuns him, people only admire him. But he hid his problems even from those closest to him.
The message then is, don’t be ashamed. Confront it, deal with it and get help – particularly if you are suicidal.
Share it. Depression is treatable, it can be tough, but it is treatable. Ian Thorpe proves it.
Firstly, there is no way he is our greatest sportsman. He was always over rated. Secondly whilst depression is a very serious issue and needs to be treated asap, he seems more like a sook. Funny how all these things come out just as he is writing a book, but has he let all of his secrets out f the closet? I doubt it.Ric Flair Monday 15 October, 2012 - 2:22 PM
The cynics out here might say this news is a great teaser,especially during a book launch...Then,you would have to be cynical-wouldn't you!jgl Melb Monday 15 October, 2012 - 2:06 PM