- Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save lives'
- Footscray surgeon's 'miracle' recovery
- Shooting star Laetisha Scanlan with Neil Mitchell
- Newsreader gaffe: Who am I again?
- Neil Mitchell concedes defeat on speed camera questions
- WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full responsibility for 'dirty mess'
- 'He was left lying in a pool of blood'
- Work for the dole 'unfair' on jobseekers
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Steve on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... How can this man expect anybody to believe such rubbish? Recording a private conversation is legal as long as it is not ... more
- Joe Garra on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Why did they destroy someone else's property?? more
- Eric on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... What a beat up,who cares it is of no importance in the running of the State. Just another example of Neil Mitchell making a ... more
- poppitt on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... It appears Mr Andrews likes to call other politicians out for lying, cheating, stealing, but when it comes to members of his ... more
- Vallipuram on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... so it is ok to vandalise someone elses property As leader of opposition you accept responsibility for vandalism of property ... more
- Dallas on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Peter dalglish forget about tying to find the State Labor website on-line the way you spell you'll end up at a maternity ... more
- Stephen on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Oh and Mr Andrews the property was not yours to destroy!! So theft and criminal damage! The potential charges grow!! more
- Marko on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I'd like to know why no police charges have been laid against Daniel Andrews, Kosmos Samaras, etc? When I was a cop it was ... more
- Bruce on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Mr Andrews still did not take responsibility!He repeatedly stated "It is my responsibility to get to the bottom of it"He ... more
- Bob on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Dead man walking, Mr Andrews. You expect us to believe that all those around you knew about the tape, what was on it, copied ... more
- Kate on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Interesting comment he makes in the second half of the tape at 8.07 - "I first heard this and I am not entirely sure I have ... more
- Fred on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Someone needs to teach Andrews the definition of theft. Only then will he understand what a 'thief' is. Mealy mouthed ... more
- bc on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... poor baby huey andrews the carnival is over .One thing there are grubs on all sides grubby guy is after napthines job.Fancy ... more
- Peter dalglish on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Daniels Andrews connected with unions federal opposition leader connected with unions, see a pattern happening here.Now to ... more
- Big Al on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I have no faith or respect for any of our politicians. They are all devious and incompetent. Most people I speak to are ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Woman disgusted over 'death' plate This is unforgivable. The driver of this vehicle should be exposed so we can see who he really is. He should not be allowed ... more
- IBARKER on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Poppitt ?? Where are you for out thou. more
- Liz on Work for the dole 'unfair' on jobseekers If they stop sending all our jobs overseas. There would be plenty avail.If they leave call centre jobs in Australia there ... more
- poppitt on Work for the dole 'unfair' on jobseekers I see the unemployed every day where I work. They can afford to work, they can afford to look clean and respectable. The ... more
- colin on Woman disgusted over 'death' plate What a thoughtful reply Sinbad. Who is Amanda?Alzheimer's already? Hmmm. more
Depression can be tough, but it is treatable - Ian Thorpe proves it
Ian Thorpe is arguably Australia’s greatest sportsman.
Five Olympic gold medals, at 14 years of age he was the youngest swimmer to represent Australia, and six hold at one world titles.
He was the most successful athlete at the Sydney Games: 3 Gold, 2 Silver.
He was an extraordinary swimmer, and he did much of it drunk, depressed, and taking medication for his mental health.
He has explained this in his autobiography, some of which was released at the weekend.
This really shows me how strong Thorpe is. What he has done here could be as important as his swimming.
He admits to being suicidal, he admits to heavy drinking – which he hid. He says he has been treated for depression for a long time and taken medication for it.
He talks about the highs of gold not being as high because he was medicated. He talks about world titles not giving him the huge buzz for the same reason.
And the best thing, he survives. He is getting on with life.
There are a couple of messages here: how far we have come and how a person can hide it.
Ian Thorpe can talk openly about his mental health and nobody mocks or shuns him, people only admire him. But he hid his problems even from those closest to him.
The message then is, don’t be ashamed. Confront it, deal with it and get help – particularly if you are suicidal.
Share it. Depression is treatable, it can be tough, but it is treatable. Ian Thorpe proves it.
Firstly, there is no way he is our greatest sportsman. He was always over rated. Secondly whilst depression is a very serious issue and needs to be treated asap, he seems more like a sook. Funny how all these things come out just as he is writing a book, but has he let all of his secrets out f the closet? I doubt it.Ric Flair Monday 15 October, 2012 - 2:22 PM
The cynics out here might say this news is a great teaser,especially during a book launch...Then,you would have to be cynical-wouldn't you!jgl Melb Monday 15 October, 2012 - 2:06 PM