- David Davis denies Greg Sassella dispute
- Plan B: 'We have no choice'
- The Leaning Tower of Stupidity
- 'I do hate this guy, he killed my husband': Sue Parsons
- 'Something needs to be done about this'
- 'You're responsible': Socialist Moreland councillor points the finger at Neil
- Germaine Greer has just kicked Bambi
- 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- poppitt on Plan B: 'We have no choice' If you have debt you pay interest. The more debt the more interest. Why is it people do not want to pay the debt? Do they ... more
- Lukew on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... The attack on that poor Muslim woman was appalling and would be roundly detested by most people. However, the Moreland ... more
- brendon on 'Something needs to be done about this' total moron !!!!! more
- Frances on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... HOW ON EARTH WAS SOMEONE LIKE SUE BOLTON EVEN ELECTED INTO BECOMING COUNCILLOR??? MAKING MASSIVE ACCUSATIONS OF PEOPLE ... more
- PJ on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Four things need to happen to solve the problem:1.The continued expansion and growing influence of ISIS/ISIL needs to be ... more
- IBARKER on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... She is a PERSON,That wants to divide us. "IN OUR SOCIETY.??? more
- IBARKER on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... This Sue Bolton is an absolute disgrace to the people that voted her in. more
- John on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Cr Bolton you are a disgrace. You are unbelievable and totally lacking in credability. more
- Colin Lacivita on 'Something needs to be done about this' If I saw this happen I would have grabbed the guy and pulled him off. This is utterly reckless. more
- AA on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... I no longer listen to 3AW. It is clear that the station and its commentators are doing nothing about promoting ... more
- andy on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... cr bolton is going to be in state/ federal,she sounds just like a politician more
- CHRIS WATTS on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... does not like it when he is accused of something but boy, can he hand it out.... more
- Ricta on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... White, anglo saxon people should be banned from protesting on racial issues.1 of the biggest problems in this world is ... more
- Barney on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Councillor Sue Bolton reminds me of the saying " if you cant be part of the solution ,don't be part of the problem . 3aw ... more
- Gloria on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Sue Bolton is a radical left wing Socialist, she is a trouble maker and was very strongly opposed to CCTV in Moreland. This ... more
- poppitt on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... The Burqa should be banned the in the same way as motor bike helmets etc., in banks, fuel stations, and when stopped by the ... more
- Jester4212 on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... This councillor is truly unbelievable. more
- acetrim on Melbourne-Geelong speed increase ... its always about slowing cars down but never about slowing trucks down bring the speed down to 80 ks more
- Ran on 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid' These Government job agencies don't find jobs. They get a cut when a jobseeker finds a job without their help. They're main ... more
- David R on 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid' "breaches human rights obligations"... Really , in what universe? Does that apply to all parts of the globe? Does that apply ... more
Depression can be tough, but it is treatable - Ian Thorpe proves it
Ian Thorpe is arguably Australia’s greatest sportsman.
Five Olympic gold medals, at 14 years of age he was the youngest swimmer to represent Australia, and six hold at one world titles.
He was the most successful athlete at the Sydney Games: 3 Gold, 2 Silver.
He was an extraordinary swimmer, and he did much of it drunk, depressed, and taking medication for his mental health.
He has explained this in his autobiography, some of which was released at the weekend.
This really shows me how strong Thorpe is. What he has done here could be as important as his swimming.
He admits to being suicidal, he admits to heavy drinking – which he hid. He says he has been treated for depression for a long time and taken medication for it.
He talks about the highs of gold not being as high because he was medicated. He talks about world titles not giving him the huge buzz for the same reason.
And the best thing, he survives. He is getting on with life.
There are a couple of messages here: how far we have come and how a person can hide it.
Ian Thorpe can talk openly about his mental health and nobody mocks or shuns him, people only admire him. But he hid his problems even from those closest to him.
The message then is, don’t be ashamed. Confront it, deal with it and get help – particularly if you are suicidal.
Share it. Depression is treatable, it can be tough, but it is treatable. Ian Thorpe proves it.
Firstly, there is no way he is our greatest sportsman. He was always over rated. Secondly whilst depression is a very serious issue and needs to be treated asap, he seems more like a sook. Funny how all these things come out just as he is writing a book, but has he let all of his secrets out f the closet? I doubt it.Ric Flair Monday 15 October, 2012 - 2:22 PM
The cynics out here might say this news is a great teaser,especially during a book launch...Then,you would have to be cynical-wouldn't you!jgl Melb Monday 15 October, 2012 - 2:06 PM