- Photos: Destructive winds lash the state
- 'Banks need to improve their reputation'
- 'I feel like I've earned this'
- Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save lives'
- Footscray surgeon's 'miracle' recovery
- Shooting star Laetisha Scanlan with Neil Mitchell
- Newsreader gaffe: Who am I again?
- Neil Mitchell concedes defeat on speed camera questions
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Tanya on Photos: Destructive winds lash the state Re the tree down in Coles - Bayswater.Why on earth did someone plant a monstrous gum tree in a car park?The mind boggles. more
- IBARKER on Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save ... This is not only a man V women it can happen the other way. more
- Milton on Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save ... Why wait for 3 breaches, why not 2 or possibly just 1? more
- Steve on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... How can this man expect anybody to believe such rubbish? Recording a private conversation is legal as long as it is not ... more
- Joe Garra on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Why did they destroy someone else's property?? more
- Eric on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... What a beat up,who cares it is of no importance in the running of the State. Just another example of Neil Mitchell making a ... more
- poppitt on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... It appears Mr Andrews likes to call other politicians out for lying, cheating, stealing, but when it comes to members of his ... more
- Vallipuram on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... so it is ok to vandalise someone elses property As leader of opposition you accept responsibility for vandalism of property ... more
- Dallas on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Peter dalglish forget about tying to find the State Labor website on-line the way you spell you'll end up at a maternity ... more
- Stephen on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Oh and Mr Andrews the property was not yours to destroy!! So theft and criminal damage! The potential charges grow!! more
- Marko on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I'd like to know why no police charges have been laid against Daniel Andrews, Kosmos Samaras, etc? When I was a cop it was ... more
- Bruce on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Mr Andrews still did not take responsibility!He repeatedly stated "It is my responsibility to get to the bottom of it"He ... more
- Bob on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Dead man walking, Mr Andrews. You expect us to believe that all those around you knew about the tape, what was on it, copied ... more
- Kate on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Interesting comment he makes in the second half of the tape at 8.07 - "I first heard this and I am not entirely sure I have ... more
- Fred on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Someone needs to teach Andrews the definition of theft. Only then will he understand what a 'thief' is. Mealy mouthed ... more
- bc on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... poor baby huey andrews the carnival is over .One thing there are grubs on all sides grubby guy is after napthines job.Fancy ... more
- Peter dalglish on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Daniels Andrews connected with unions federal opposition leader connected with unions, see a pattern happening here.Now to ... more
- Big Al on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I have no faith or respect for any of our politicians. They are all devious and incompetent. Most people I speak to are ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Woman disgusted over 'death' plate This is unforgivable. The driver of this vehicle should be exposed so we can see who he really is. He should not be allowed ... more
- IBARKER on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Poppitt ?? Where are you for out thou. more
Government guidelines: Disabled toilets now 'accessible' toilets
NEIL MITCHELL: Let’s start the week with Ted Baillieu’s burst of political correctness. I wonder what this has cost us.
It’s a glossy piece of work. A guide to how to be politically correct.
And here are some examples.
Elderly people are no longer elderly. They must be older people or seniors (And that is only when they are over 65...)
If you are talking about somebody who is deaf. You should use a capital ‘D’ when referring to a group. Why?
Because it is recognising a culturally unique and diverse group who use sign language.
So capital ‘D’ for deaf. I’m not kidding.
There is more. Disabled toilets are to be no more...And disabled car parking or disabled entry areas.
All banned. All gone.
They must now be accessible toilets, accessible parking space and accessible entry.
No more use of the word disabled. Which causes a bit of a problem.
You see under these guidelines they don’t want photographs of wheelchairs. That is too negative.
So if you are driving along and you see something called an accessible parking space, with no illustration of a wheelchair, what would you do?
‘Oh that’s good...it’s accessible’.... You would bloody well park there!
You are not be epileptic any more either, You are a person with epilepsy.
....Or autistic. Not autistic an y more. You are a person with autism.
These guidelines from the Baillieu government are under the headline ‘Reporting it right - Media guidelines for portraying people with a disability’.
And I know it is all well meaning
But it is rubbish. Social engineering. Mind games.
Ted, I support you in most things, but this is Bloody Ridiculous. All it is doing is creating alternative meanings for words. It will only cause confusion.David T. Monday 12 November, 2012 - 5:50 PM
Nothing new re capital Deaf for D. It's recognised by World Federation of the Deaf
And Deaf Australia.
And what about 'hard of hearing'? Still people out there saying 'hearing impaired' or 'hearing loss'.
http://www.ifhoh.org/wfd.htmmike Monday 12 November, 2012 - 3:42 PM
Another example of a do nothing government - well done Ted, you drongo!Steve Monday 12 November, 2012 - 2:49 PM
What a joke this is. Tell the Pollies to get a life.??????????IAN Monday 12 November, 2012 - 1:34 PM
At 73 I want to be known as elderly. Do I have a choice? I am also disabled, not accessible!lorraine Monday 12 November, 2012 - 12:11 PM
You beauty, now I can go to the disabled, sorry that toilet that has the wheelchair access now described as 'accessible', when there is a queue in the ladies, without feeling guilty.Gloria Monday 12 November, 2012 - 12:05 PM