- New party wants seats for cyclists
- Epic walk 'changed our lives'
- 'There’s mortars going off now in Donetsk'
- 'I don't trust them. Watch your bills'
- 'Show some backbone': Napthine's message to UN, Putin
- Vandals target CFA stations
- Cadel Evans launches Geelong race
- Sky-rise phase to 'taper off'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Mandi on 'There’s mortars going off now in ... I agree Mylene they have an extremely deranged veiw on this horrific tragedy which is making the situation so much more ... more
- Milton on Epic walk 'changed our lives' Well done guys! more
- mylene on 'There’s mortars going off now in ... Back in the trenches in WWI we all stopped fighting for Xmas dinner and even played a game of soccer with the hun. These ... more
- jgl Melb on 'I don't trust them. Watch your bills' Power companies are slowly overhauling politicians and journalists as the masters of verbal gymnastics more
- Daniel on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' And now you're contributing to the problem Neil. It's not the fact that he just said 'something wrong' it's his mentality. ... more
- Eleanor Steel on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' Get rid of Taylor 3aw doesn't need an idiot big mouth like him!908DPC more
- Richie on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' Hearing Taylor lose his cool tonight on Sports Today when questioned about why some people don't see the apology as being ... more
- Delboy on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' The guy is living in the 80's. You can tell that by the mo. Lost me. more
- bc on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' brian taylor 2m words BIG MOUTH more
- poppitt on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' On 3aw last week you had 'like a girl' I was so pleased, I thought people are realising what they say has meaning. Now this ... more
- Stephen on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' Yet again political correctness gone mad!! Where does it stop I'm short for example as many are can we start demanding what ... more
- Nooky Hayes on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' How do you think Harry's wife feels when BT can say this and everyone say's don't worry about it. more
- Donna Grant on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' His comments were homophobic and unpleasant. Why can't he just behave like a grown up person.I usually listen to 3 AW on the ... more
- Gloria on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' It's about time homosexuals got over themselves and developed a sense of humour. I have never forgiven them for pinching the ... more
- Jan Widdop on Photos: Neil Mitchell's new puppy Cute puppy, enjoy him! more
- Georgia on Photos: Neil Mitchell's new puppy Lighten up Gloss, it's a happy subject. Don't be such a sourpuss. Cute puppy Neil more
- PJ on Photos: Neil Mitchell's new puppy And there's me thinking he'd been sent away for 'Lefty Training' to compete with Jon.Anyone that loves dogs is fundamentally ... more
- mylene on Thorpe's sexuality 'never an issue' I didn't watch any of those shows. Silent Witness and The Tunnel rule in my house. more
- Gloss on Thorpe's sexuality 'never an issue' None of us are shocked, we all knew long ago. more
- Gloss on Photos: Neil Mitchell's new puppy Don't think this dog is 'cute', he has a very sad eyes. Have to question why so many comments are printed about a dog when ... more
Government guidelines: Disabled toilets now 'accessible' toilets
NEIL MITCHELL: Let’s start the week with Ted Baillieu’s burst of political correctness. I wonder what this has cost us.
It’s a glossy piece of work. A guide to how to be politically correct.
And here are some examples.
Elderly people are no longer elderly. They must be older people or seniors (And that is only when they are over 65...)
If you are talking about somebody who is deaf. You should use a capital ‘D’ when referring to a group. Why?
Because it is recognising a culturally unique and diverse group who use sign language.
So capital ‘D’ for deaf. I’m not kidding.
There is more. Disabled toilets are to be no more...And disabled car parking or disabled entry areas.
All banned. All gone.
They must now be accessible toilets, accessible parking space and accessible entry.
No more use of the word disabled. Which causes a bit of a problem.
You see under these guidelines they don’t want photographs of wheelchairs. That is too negative.
So if you are driving along and you see something called an accessible parking space, with no illustration of a wheelchair, what would you do?
‘Oh that’s good...it’s accessible’.... You would bloody well park there!
You are not be epileptic any more either, You are a person with epilepsy.
....Or autistic. Not autistic an y more. You are a person with autism.
These guidelines from the Baillieu government are under the headline ‘Reporting it right - Media guidelines for portraying people with a disability’.
And I know it is all well meaning
But it is rubbish. Social engineering. Mind games.
Ted, I support you in most things, but this is Bloody Ridiculous. All it is doing is creating alternative meanings for words. It will only cause confusion.David T. Monday 12 November, 2012 - 5:50 PM
Nothing new re capital Deaf for D. It's recognised by World Federation of the Deaf
And Deaf Australia.
And what about 'hard of hearing'? Still people out there saying 'hearing impaired' or 'hearing loss'.
http://www.ifhoh.org/wfd.htmmike Monday 12 November, 2012 - 3:42 PM
Another example of a do nothing government - well done Ted, you drongo!Steve Monday 12 November, 2012 - 2:49 PM
What a joke this is. Tell the Pollies to get a life.??????????IAN Monday 12 November, 2012 - 1:34 PM
At 73 I want to be known as elderly. Do I have a choice? I am also disabled, not accessible!lorraine Monday 12 November, 2012 - 12:11 PM
You beauty, now I can go to the disabled, sorry that toilet that has the wheelchair access now described as 'accessible', when there is a queue in the ladies, without feeling guilty.Gloria Monday 12 November, 2012 - 12:05 PM