- Germaine Greer has just kicked Bambi
- 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid'
- What's the cost of scrapping EW Link?
- Beams' transfer a sign of trouble?
- Melbourne-Geelong speed increase dismissed - for now
- 'Congratulations Melbourne'
- 'Melbourne is evolving by accident'
- Toddler hospitalised after snake bite
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Ran on 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid' These Government job agencies don't find jobs. They get a cut when a jobseeker finds a job without their help. They're main ... more
- David R on 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid' "breaches human rights obligations"... Really , in what universe? Does that apply to all parts of the globe? Does that apply ... more
- poppitt on What's the cost of scrapping EW Link? Maybe the liberals should have ripped up the desal contract, and the myki contract, may have saved some money there too! We ... more
- Peggy on What's the cost of scrapping EW Link? Instead of forcing us to vote Liberal at the November election because it will cost us far too much to vote Labor, Liberals ... more
- Dave on Melbourne-Geelong speed increase ... Maybe they don't want to change the speed limit to 110 kph because that would mean that they would have to adjust the speed ... more
- Mark on 'Melbourne is evolving by accident' Neil is so out of tough with reality! All major cities around the World have to have highrise apartment buildings. Melbourne ... more
- PJ on 'Melbourne is evolving by accident' the elephant in the room is immigration. Mass immigration. In the UK Labor apologised for it. It brings more problems that ... more
- otto on Melbourne-Geelong speed increase ... To raise the limit on an existing road, would be detrimental to the revenue raising machine and nanny state road safety ... more
- Glenda on Melbourne-Geelong speed increase ... What about the 80k speed limit on the Calder freeway - about 23k of slowway between Keilor & Thunderdome at Calder ... more
- Peggy on Melbourne-Geelong speed increase ... Rubbish.They need to decrease limits not increase due to not making enough from speeding fines now. more
- michael on Melbourne-Geelong speed increase ... To raise the limit on an existing road would be detrimental to the revenue raising machine and nanny state road safety ... more
- acetrim on Melbourne-Geelong speed increase ... not a word about hawks supporters booing goodes every time he went near the ball more
- Colin Lacivita on Melbourne-Geelong speed increase ... The Speed limit on the Geelong road is too high. The Police are right not to increase it. There are to many trill seekers on ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Jeff Kennett: 'Don't boo Buddy' Don't worry Jeff we won't boo Buddy we'll all boo you Jeff for stuffing up the state when you were in power. more
- Jason & Lissy on Jeff Kennett: 'Don't boo Buddy' Lissy & I say that there are Victorians who will not be getting behind Hawthorn and those who will be. more
- Milton on Jeff Kennett: 'Don't boo Buddy' Jeff: I agree with you booing anyone is poor sportsmanship and childish. more
- Aaaa on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... It doesn't set a good example does it! Just proves how easily anyone can get away with a situation like this. They are ... more
- Lukew on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... What would be enough? more
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
Government guidelines: Disabled toilets now 'accessible' toilets
NEIL MITCHELL: Let’s start the week with Ted Baillieu’s burst of political correctness. I wonder what this has cost us.
It’s a glossy piece of work. A guide to how to be politically correct.
And here are some examples.
Elderly people are no longer elderly. They must be older people or seniors (And that is only when they are over 65...)
If you are talking about somebody who is deaf. You should use a capital ‘D’ when referring to a group. Why?
Because it is recognising a culturally unique and diverse group who use sign language.
So capital ‘D’ for deaf. I’m not kidding.
There is more. Disabled toilets are to be no more...And disabled car parking or disabled entry areas.
All banned. All gone.
They must now be accessible toilets, accessible parking space and accessible entry.
No more use of the word disabled. Which causes a bit of a problem.
You see under these guidelines they don’t want photographs of wheelchairs. That is too negative.
So if you are driving along and you see something called an accessible parking space, with no illustration of a wheelchair, what would you do?
‘Oh that’s good...it’s accessible’.... You would bloody well park there!
You are not be epileptic any more either, You are a person with epilepsy.
....Or autistic. Not autistic an y more. You are a person with autism.
These guidelines from the Baillieu government are under the headline ‘Reporting it right - Media guidelines for portraying people with a disability’.
And I know it is all well meaning
But it is rubbish. Social engineering. Mind games.
Ted, I support you in most things, but this is Bloody Ridiculous. All it is doing is creating alternative meanings for words. It will only cause confusion.David T. Monday 12 November, 2012 - 5:50 PM
Nothing new re capital Deaf for D. It's recognised by World Federation of the Deaf
And Deaf Australia.
And what about 'hard of hearing'? Still people out there saying 'hearing impaired' or 'hearing loss'.
http://www.ifhoh.org/wfd.htmmike Monday 12 November, 2012 - 3:42 PM
Another example of a do nothing government - well done Ted, you drongo!Steve Monday 12 November, 2012 - 2:49 PM
What a joke this is. Tell the Pollies to get a life.??????????IAN Monday 12 November, 2012 - 1:34 PM
At 73 I want to be known as elderly. Do I have a choice? I am also disabled, not accessible!lorraine Monday 12 November, 2012 - 12:11 PM
You beauty, now I can go to the disabled, sorry that toilet that has the wheelchair access now described as 'accessible', when there is a queue in the ladies, without feeling guilty.Gloria Monday 12 November, 2012 - 12:05 PM