- Students told to take off Poppy
- Doyle to purge streets of cheap grog
- Has Neil Mitchell broken the law?
- Lite, but not that easy to deliver
- CanTeen makes a difference
- 'These women have shaken us up'
- Adrian Richardson's Bacon Jam
- 'Give us a free day on trains and roads'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Peggy on 'These women have shaken us up' Why should any murder be considered average? The victim is still dead and the impact on the family is just as great so why ... more
- Gloria on Breakfast clubs for schools And how do they determine whether the children are disadvantaged or the parents just plain lazy. more
- Susie on Breakfast clubs for schools Parents get money from Centrelink to do this yet they spend elsewhere. School breakfast program started here years ago when ... more
- jgl Melb on 'Street culture mixed with Islamism' Why?you ask;Because that thing between the ears that allows the overwhelming majority of us to function normally and more ... more
- Christine on 'Street culture mixed with Islamism' Christ, everytime I turn on the TV it's Muslim this, Muslim that. What are they, the centre of the Universe? I don't think ... more
- Peggy on The angry and the bizarre: Radio ... Smells of corruption.What is even more strange is that Reeva's parents are satisfied with the sentence. Which parent would ... more
- King of Footscray on Paid parking approved for Yarraville Only fair and reasonable in my view, especially considering the reliance of paid parking revenue is currently heaped solely ... more
- Mik on Paid parking approved for Yarraville Its about time councils understand that they work for us, not the other way around. I dont actually think that council can ... more
- cChris watts on Paid parking approved for Yarraville why not get rid of all councils and just install an adminastratoerr..saves us all a small fortune more
- greg scott on Paid parking approved for Yarraville Madness.We do not need this 3rd level of government. more
- Peggy on Paid parking approved for Yarraville It's all about revenue raising so they have more money to give themselves payrises and nice trips around the world.Councils ... more
- Ursula Fajerman on 250 animals face death in bank action Wonderful news about the sanctuary. Thank you to the buyers and 3aw. This is the feel good news people need to wake up to. I ... more
- Catherine on Abbott not a 'mainstream world ... Who cares what the Russians says or believed they are morons like there leader and here in Australia they believe a ... more
- Stephen on 'It's a long rant. It's not banter' Oh lets not spend too much time on this he's an educated professor. Lets concentrate on removing Black from Baa Baa Black ... more
- Yank on Abbott not a 'mainstream world ... You should be proud to have a leader with guts. At least Abott's gotta pair we in the US are stuck with Mom Jeans as a ... more
- Andrea on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I bought a puppy from Greg and when it started growing I too doubted the breed of my puppy was what I had purchased. So, I ... more
- Brenda Mentz on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I have owned five miniature poodles and have no doubt this dog is part poodle. But the breed standard for miniature poodles ... more
- Lucy Richards on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' What utter crap this pet shop owner is talking, this dog would have come from a puppy farm. They work as he said on the ... more
- Colin Lacivita on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' How can you expect a dog not to grow and remain small. It's impossible. more
- Fran & Romeo on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I think that was a poorly conducted interview if you invite people to speak on your show don't try to ridicule them I didn't ... more
Helen Kapalos' sacking not sexist, but stupid
So Helen Kapalos has been dumped as channel Ten news reader.
I can see why. I don't agree with it but I see why.
Channel Ten has deep financial trouble. They have to cut costs but a few points:
There is no evidence this is sexist. She is a very good news reader, an attractive woman. She is good television but if one was to go, Mal Walden has a stronger history and it was better to keep him.
Both very decent people but the decision may not be sexist. But it is stupid. They have spent years and millions of dollars possibly advertising and promoting Helen Kapalos. They have made her face and name very very well known and now they have cut her loose.
Somebody else can pick up her talent and her profile and exploit it.
They should have offered her something else, even if it was a pay cut. Move her to something else and a starting point might have been that breakfast program, which at times has nobody watching.
Paul Henry is the host, I think that is his name. A New Zealander who is paid more than a million a year. Nobody watches.
Perhaps that would have been a job for Helen. She might have just the right audience. Anyway, to sack Kapalos and keep him seems ridiculous.
Will you protest?
The sacking of Helen Kapalos may or may not be sexist but it was stupid. And badly handled. Good luck Helen— Neil Mitchell (@3AWNeilMitchell) November 11, 2012
B'fast was a good show with Henry & his offsider who kept him on track.
He was controversal at times but he made people "think outside the box"....that was good! The show was never boring as are the other networks
WHAT A PITY.......sandy Wednesday 28 November, 2012 - 7:22 PM
Get over it Eddy, people that want to work get sacked, people that dont want to stay at home and enjoy the free money from centlink. Again the honest worker loses there jobjc Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 6:19 PM
Yes...sorry, rich lady, that you will have to look for work for a little while. Must be soooo tough.
Where will you go to recover from your grief......Europe, Hawaii, Caribbean or maybe you could stay at home and look at four grey walls that offer no answers to unemployment like the REAL unemployed have to.Eddy Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 3:48 PM
If you sack a female it is sexist.Christine Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 10:44 AM
I don't think Helen is saying this is sexist..it's likes of Tracey Spicer and other commentators saying this. It is not sexist at all...it is just stupid. Maybe management felt some kind of loyalty to Mal Walden after he has been at Ten for 25 years or more.
Helen is a great newsreader and her presence on the News at Five will be missed by many viewers. Mal Walden and Helen were paired together nicely and it is a tv chemistry that worked very well and you could tell they liked each other. It is just crazy that they spent so much luring her from Sydney to replace Jennifer Hansen...to spend all that money on advertising recently promoting the Ten News brand. It is the execution on how they got rid of her. When big stories broke...they sent Helen to them...she is a credible journalist and liked by many...Rob Bellman Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 12:28 AM
We met Helen on the "Ride to Conquer Cancer" (supporting Peter Macs). Yes, she was riding 100km per day to raise money for cancer representing Ch10? This was all 2 wks ago?
Helen is very natural & normal person. If she is a millionaire, you couldn't tell by her manner.
Most of us have been cut, and we learn that it's not the be all.
Good luck with whatever comes your way Helen, from Team Dipell.
Cheers, LenLen Monday 12 November, 2012 - 8:15 PM