- Hird has made correct call: Former legal advisor
- 'No one in the system gets justice'
- Niqab is not a 'symbol of evil'
- Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices
- 'An unsettled China is unsettling for Australia'
- David Davis denies Greg Sassella dispute
- Plan B: 'We have no choice'
- The Leaning Tower of Stupidity
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Michelle on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Alas, I remember the day when our lovely cleaning ladies, wiped the desks weekly, cleaned the bathrooms properly, spot ... more
- Sarah M on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Part of me is smiling and part of me is crying. The innocence of a child in stark contrast to the corruption of a country. ... more
- Gazza on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices @debsWell why are people on the so called minimum wage not lining up to be cleaners?.because $24 ph is insulting for a ... more
- Karen on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Let's see = $24 an hour x 4hrs x 5 days = $479, ooops! my maths is not too good.I work 8 hours a day and get slightly less ... more
- LNoolan on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Naaaa! Lazy bludgers are taking the square in Hong Kong just as they do here. Nasty contagious diease can only bring nasty ... more
- David R on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Thats close to the minimum wage factoring in casual rates and night shift loading. more
- michael on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Even toilets! What's next?The sewer system? Why not!Maybe then we will send the tourists to have a trip to the red dirt for ... more
- Julie Loncar. on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... This little girl sings a powerful message, not only for China, but for all of the world.The message is about people power. more
- binary-zero on Niqab is not a 'symbol of evil' As I muslim, I've repeatdely said this that Niqaab is not an Islamic thing - It's a cultural thing from Arab/Afghanistan ... more
- John Duff on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Why don't we leave it to the Children like that to be the world leaders. us adults aren't doing a very good job more
- Debs on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices $24 per hour??? That's not a bad rate. That's more than the minimum wage. I'm sure there are a lot of people working out ... more
- Linda Pettit on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Lets hope that this songbird reaches the masses and that there is a peaceful acknowledgement that some things in China need ... more
- Edward on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Well done as it doesn't hurt to let people know how others feel in these times more
- judy wilson on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... just beautiful more
- mylene on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Tony Abbott hasn't mentioned Hong Kong yet. It's obviously not a very important story. :p more
- poppitt on Plan B: 'We have no choice' If you have debt you pay interest. The more debt the more interest. Why is it people do not want to pay the debt? Do they ... more
- Lukew on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... The attack on that poor Muslim woman was appalling and would be roundly detested by most people. However, the Moreland ... more
- brendon on 'Something needs to be done about this' total moron !!!!! more
- Frances on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... HOW ON EARTH WAS SOMEONE LIKE SUE BOLTON EVEN ELECTED INTO BECOMING COUNCILLOR??? MAKING MASSIVE ACCUSATIONS OF PEOPLE ... more
- PJ on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Four things need to happen to solve the problem:1.The continued expansion and growing influence of ISIS/ISIL needs to be ... more
Helen Kapalos' sacking not sexist, but stupid
So Helen Kapalos has been dumped as channel Ten news reader.
I can see why. I don't agree with it but I see why.
Channel Ten has deep financial trouble. They have to cut costs but a few points:
There is no evidence this is sexist. She is a very good news reader, an attractive woman. She is good television but if one was to go, Mal Walden has a stronger history and it was better to keep him.
Both very decent people but the decision may not be sexist. But it is stupid. They have spent years and millions of dollars possibly advertising and promoting Helen Kapalos. They have made her face and name very very well known and now they have cut her loose.
Somebody else can pick up her talent and her profile and exploit it.
They should have offered her something else, even if it was a pay cut. Move her to something else and a starting point might have been that breakfast program, which at times has nobody watching.
Paul Henry is the host, I think that is his name. A New Zealander who is paid more than a million a year. Nobody watches.
Perhaps that would have been a job for Helen. She might have just the right audience. Anyway, to sack Kapalos and keep him seems ridiculous.
Will you protest?
The sacking of Helen Kapalos may or may not be sexist but it was stupid. And badly handled. Good luck Helen— Neil Mitchell (@3AWNeilMitchell) November 11, 2012
B'fast was a good show with Henry & his offsider who kept him on track.
He was controversal at times but he made people "think outside the box"....that was good! The show was never boring as are the other networks
WHAT A PITY.......sandy Wednesday 28 November, 2012 - 7:22 PM
Get over it Eddy, people that want to work get sacked, people that dont want to stay at home and enjoy the free money from centlink. Again the honest worker loses there jobjc Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 6:19 PM
Yes...sorry, rich lady, that you will have to look for work for a little while. Must be soooo tough.
Where will you go to recover from your grief......Europe, Hawaii, Caribbean or maybe you could stay at home and look at four grey walls that offer no answers to unemployment like the REAL unemployed have to.Eddy Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 3:48 PM
If you sack a female it is sexist.Christine Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 10:44 AM
I don't think Helen is saying this is sexist..it's likes of Tracey Spicer and other commentators saying this. It is not sexist at all...it is just stupid. Maybe management felt some kind of loyalty to Mal Walden after he has been at Ten for 25 years or more.
Helen is a great newsreader and her presence on the News at Five will be missed by many viewers. Mal Walden and Helen were paired together nicely and it is a tv chemistry that worked very well and you could tell they liked each other. It is just crazy that they spent so much luring her from Sydney to replace Jennifer Hansen...to spend all that money on advertising recently promoting the Ten News brand. It is the execution on how they got rid of her. When big stories broke...they sent Helen to them...she is a credible journalist and liked by many...Rob Bellman Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 12:28 AM
We met Helen on the "Ride to Conquer Cancer" (supporting Peter Macs). Yes, she was riding 100km per day to raise money for cancer representing Ch10? This was all 2 wks ago?
Helen is very natural & normal person. If she is a millionaire, you couldn't tell by her manner.
Most of us have been cut, and we learn that it's not the be all.
Good luck with whatever comes your way Helen, from Team Dipell.
Cheers, LenLen Monday 12 November, 2012 - 8:15 PM