- 'It's very little time for taking a life'
- Kennett: 'This is sheer incompetence'
- Ice driving killer verdict 'not adequate'
- Good idea or just rubbish?
- 'It's complex': Mayor defends slow Sydney Rd CCTV installation
- 'Blame the tradie, not contestants'
- Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of welfare'
- Classic or crazy? Cazaly re-made
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Aaaa on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... It doesn't set a good example does it! Just proves how easily anyone can get away with a situation like this. They are ... more
- Lukew on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... What would be enough? more
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
- Jane on Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of ... Well this is one thing i agree with. Tired of tip-toeing on this issue. There are not hundreds of Muslims that support ... more
- Linda on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Christine Milne is as big a threat to our national security as groups like ISIS. Even the tiniest chink in our political ... more
- GIW on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Yes Mylene, that is the aim of Islam to take over the world. As a caller on the Sunday Morning show yesterdays said, there ... more
- mylene on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Don't worry in a couple of years we'll be trading with ISIS and the Taliban and anyone who mentions the war will be shouted ... more
- Jeff on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... As parents of young kids i cannot believe Essendon has put James Hird back in as coach, Hird should have nothing to do with ... more
- Stephen on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... Doesn't know a lot really does he! Including if the Bombers took anything illeagal!AFL Another Fool Leader. more
- Diane on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... How silly to have a coaches meeting when there are finals on and other coaches are having their reviews. more
- Jimbob on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... I wonder what the risk factor is for those other clubs attempting to poach essendong starts caught in this. If the worst ... more
- Mel on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Our neighbours also have a fox terrier & it's one of the most aggressive & unsocialised dogs I have seen! Has prevented us ... more
- Wayne on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... to wendy who wrote "Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this ... more
- Sam Maglitto on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... I heard this report on the radio this afternoon and being a Dog Lover I was horrified to think there are other owners who ... more
- wendy on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this would get peoples ... more
- Stephanie on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Such a tragedy for all involved. more
- Robert on 'PM's popularity between asbestos and ... But when he opposes public transport, his ratings suffer. His being so good at opposing things, particularly public ... more
- jgl Melb on 'If Ashby is right, Pyne should quit' Christopher Pyne;Verbal gymnast extraordinaire...Putting it politely more
- Colin Lacivita on Phone scam targets grieving widow I always get emails promising me money. I don't care who they are I always send a email back warning that their contact ... more
Helen Kapalos' sacking not sexist, but stupid
So Helen Kapalos has been dumped as channel Ten news reader.
I can see why. I don't agree with it but I see why.
Channel Ten has deep financial trouble. They have to cut costs but a few points:
There is no evidence this is sexist. She is a very good news reader, an attractive woman. She is good television but if one was to go, Mal Walden has a stronger history and it was better to keep him.
Both very decent people but the decision may not be sexist. But it is stupid. They have spent years and millions of dollars possibly advertising and promoting Helen Kapalos. They have made her face and name very very well known and now they have cut her loose.
Somebody else can pick up her talent and her profile and exploit it.
They should have offered her something else, even if it was a pay cut. Move her to something else and a starting point might have been that breakfast program, which at times has nobody watching.
Paul Henry is the host, I think that is his name. A New Zealander who is paid more than a million a year. Nobody watches.
Perhaps that would have been a job for Helen. She might have just the right audience. Anyway, to sack Kapalos and keep him seems ridiculous.
Will you protest?
The sacking of Helen Kapalos may or may not be sexist but it was stupid. And badly handled. Good luck Helen— Neil Mitchell (@3AWNeilMitchell) November 11, 2012
B'fast was a good show with Henry & his offsider who kept him on track.
He was controversal at times but he made people "think outside the box"....that was good! The show was never boring as are the other networks
WHAT A PITY.......sandy Wednesday 28 November, 2012 - 7:22 PM
Get over it Eddy, people that want to work get sacked, people that dont want to stay at home and enjoy the free money from centlink. Again the honest worker loses there jobjc Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 6:19 PM
Yes...sorry, rich lady, that you will have to look for work for a little while. Must be soooo tough.
Where will you go to recover from your grief......Europe, Hawaii, Caribbean or maybe you could stay at home and look at four grey walls that offer no answers to unemployment like the REAL unemployed have to.Eddy Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 3:48 PM
If you sack a female it is sexist.Christine Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 10:44 AM
I don't think Helen is saying this is sexist..it's likes of Tracey Spicer and other commentators saying this. It is not sexist at all...it is just stupid. Maybe management felt some kind of loyalty to Mal Walden after he has been at Ten for 25 years or more.
Helen is a great newsreader and her presence on the News at Five will be missed by many viewers. Mal Walden and Helen were paired together nicely and it is a tv chemistry that worked very well and you could tell they liked each other. It is just crazy that they spent so much luring her from Sydney to replace Jennifer Hansen...to spend all that money on advertising recently promoting the Ten News brand. It is the execution on how they got rid of her. When big stories broke...they sent Helen to them...she is a credible journalist and liked by many...Rob Bellman Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 12:28 AM
We met Helen on the "Ride to Conquer Cancer" (supporting Peter Macs). Yes, she was riding 100km per day to raise money for cancer representing Ch10? This was all 2 wks ago?
Helen is very natural & normal person. If she is a millionaire, you couldn't tell by her manner.
Most of us have been cut, and we learn that it's not the be all.
Good luck with whatever comes your way Helen, from Team Dipell.
Cheers, LenLen Monday 12 November, 2012 - 8:15 PM