- 'Hamas is not interested in ceasefire'
- Losing war against dangerous phone chargers
- Nitschke: This won't stop me
- Two-thirds want cannabis legalised
- Taxi register confusion clarified
- Lambie: 'I'm a normal Aussie girl'
- New party wants seats for cyclists
- Epic walk 'changed our lives'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Mark on Lambie: 'I'm a normal Aussie girl' Where's penny Wong now , Brian Taylor got hung drawn and quartered for his poof comment and yet no penny Wong standing up in ... more
- Stephen on Lambie: 'I'm a normal Aussie girl' No you're not a typical Aussie Girl! You're a disgrace and it has nothing to do with your gender either! You are in public ... more
- poppitt on Lambie: 'I'm a normal Aussie girl' If any male pollie mentioned a part of a womans body he would be walked over hot coals. This type of 'talk' is not ... more
- Gazza on Lambie: 'I'm a normal Aussie girl' If all politicians behaved like normal aussies the world would be a better place. Unfortunately this will never happen as ... more
- Willow on Lambie: 'I'm a normal Aussie girl' Would like to know how the people of Tassy, who voted for her, feel now. more
- bushiepete on Lambie: 'I'm a normal Aussie girl' at least we know what we got with this pollie. shes not afraid to speak her mind ..unlike the rest of the fence sitters ... more
- Sinbad on Lambie: 'I'm a normal Aussie girl' Two weeks ago, Brian Taylor gets vilified and lambasted for a throw away insult you would hear numerous times in any ... more
- Judi Pickett on Lambie: 'I'm a normal Aussie girl' Jacqui Lambie stating she's just a normal Aussie Girl? Neil, you need a mini survey on her comments, as I'd say the public, ... more
- mylene on Lambie: 'I'm a normal Aussie girl' The Prime Minister's comments on women, homosexuals and Aborigines make her look like a beginner. Leave offensiveness to the ... more
- Mandi on 'There’s mortars going off now in ... I agree Mylene they have an extremely deranged veiw on this horrific tragedy which is making the situation so much more ... more
- Milton on Epic walk 'changed our lives' Well done guys! more
- mylene on 'There’s mortars going off now in ... Back in the trenches in WWI we all stopped fighting for Xmas dinner and even played a game of soccer with the hun. These ... more
- jgl Melb on 'I don't trust them. Watch your bills' Power companies are slowly overhauling politicians and journalists as the masters of verbal gymnastics more
- Daniel on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' And now you're contributing to the problem Neil. It's not the fact that he just said 'something wrong' it's his mentality. ... more
- Eleanor Steel on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' Get rid of Taylor 3aw doesn't need an idiot big mouth like him!908DPC more
- Richie on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' Hearing Taylor lose his cool tonight on Sports Today when questioned about why some people don't see the apology as being ... more
- Delboy on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' The guy is living in the 80's. You can tell that by the mo. Lost me. more
- bc on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' brian taylor 2m words BIG MOUTH more
- poppitt on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' On 3aw last week you had 'like a girl' I was so pleased, I thought people are realising what they say has meaning. Now this ... more
- Stephen on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' Yet again political correctness gone mad!! Where does it stop I'm short for example as many are can we start demanding what ... more
Helen Kapalos' sacking not sexist, but stupid
So Helen Kapalos has been dumped as channel Ten news reader.
I can see why. I don't agree with it but I see why.
Channel Ten has deep financial trouble. They have to cut costs but a few points:
There is no evidence this is sexist. She is a very good news reader, an attractive woman. She is good television but if one was to go, Mal Walden has a stronger history and it was better to keep him.
Both very decent people but the decision may not be sexist. But it is stupid. They have spent years and millions of dollars possibly advertising and promoting Helen Kapalos. They have made her face and name very very well known and now they have cut her loose.
Somebody else can pick up her talent and her profile and exploit it.
They should have offered her something else, even if it was a pay cut. Move her to something else and a starting point might have been that breakfast program, which at times has nobody watching.
Paul Henry is the host, I think that is his name. A New Zealander who is paid more than a million a year. Nobody watches.
Perhaps that would have been a job for Helen. She might have just the right audience. Anyway, to sack Kapalos and keep him seems ridiculous.
Will you protest?
The sacking of Helen Kapalos may or may not be sexist but it was stupid. And badly handled. Good luck Helen— Neil Mitchell (@3AWNeilMitchell) November 11, 2012
B'fast was a good show with Henry & his offsider who kept him on track.
He was controversal at times but he made people "think outside the box"....that was good! The show was never boring as are the other networks
WHAT A PITY.......sandy Wednesday 28 November, 2012 - 7:22 PM
Get over it Eddy, people that want to work get sacked, people that dont want to stay at home and enjoy the free money from centlink. Again the honest worker loses there jobjc Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 6:19 PM
Yes...sorry, rich lady, that you will have to look for work for a little while. Must be soooo tough.
Where will you go to recover from your grief......Europe, Hawaii, Caribbean or maybe you could stay at home and look at four grey walls that offer no answers to unemployment like the REAL unemployed have to.Eddy Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 3:48 PM
If you sack a female it is sexist.Christine Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 10:44 AM
I don't think Helen is saying this is sexist..it's likes of Tracey Spicer and other commentators saying this. It is not sexist at all...it is just stupid. Maybe management felt some kind of loyalty to Mal Walden after he has been at Ten for 25 years or more.
Helen is a great newsreader and her presence on the News at Five will be missed by many viewers. Mal Walden and Helen were paired together nicely and it is a tv chemistry that worked very well and you could tell they liked each other. It is just crazy that they spent so much luring her from Sydney to replace Jennifer Hansen...to spend all that money on advertising recently promoting the Ten News brand. It is the execution on how they got rid of her. When big stories broke...they sent Helen to them...she is a credible journalist and liked by many...Rob Bellman Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 12:28 AM
We met Helen on the "Ride to Conquer Cancer" (supporting Peter Macs). Yes, she was riding 100km per day to raise money for cancer representing Ch10? This was all 2 wks ago?
Helen is very natural & normal person. If she is a millionaire, you couldn't tell by her manner.
Most of us have been cut, and we learn that it's not the be all.
Good luck with whatever comes your way Helen, from Team Dipell.
Cheers, LenLen Monday 12 November, 2012 - 8:15 PM