- Fuel discount ban will save prices
- Gay couple marry despite expected challenge
- Qantas ads 'political spin'
- Christmas cheer for young Rhyan
- Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl
- Take away Camilleri's privileges
- Racial abuse on the rise
- Why demean Gallipoli?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mcallaway on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl This isnt the first time and probably not the last its appalling to see 5 big blokes(thugs in uniform) turn to this type off ... more
- Stephen on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl Slamming a 15 year old girl to the floor is reasonable force. she may have been in wrong but really? Minister sorry no ... more
- John on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl The girls were pretty feral etc and did the wrong thing re: ticket. But I'm not convinced anyone deserves to be treated like ... more
- release the hounds on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl Quick call out the hired thugs. looks like a teen girl is travelling without a ticket. now thats really are isn't it. ... more
- Paul Chandler on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl Read the transport act which states that a fare may be paid before, during or after a journey. Inspectors should offer that ... more
- Mark on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl One of the girls spat in the face of the poor man simply trying to do his job. I put it to any one of the do-gooders ... more
- yvonne on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl If you give no respect you get no recept simple...Oh it's always someone else's fault. Buy a ticket.. Simple... more
- Jan Lannan on Christmas cheer for young Rhyan This person deserves some kindness she has her hands full with her young boy & his problems hope this will make it a ... more
- Steve on Qantas ads 'political spin' The unions have ripped the guts out of Qantas let them prop them up instead of the tax payer>! more
- bc on Qantas ads 'political spin' so much spin and bull tish all they have to do is cancel 1 new aircraft and guess what their level thats how easy it is ti ... more
- Lukew on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl I agree that this is an over reaction, but there has to be some way to deal with this complete lack of respect. The ... more
- Libby on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl Simply buying a ticket will help avoid this response from staff who are charged with the responsibility to put into effect a ... more
- Gazza on Qantas ads 'political spin' Management need to take pay cuts and give workers pay rises to lift productivity........ more
- Mandii on Christmas cheer for young Rhyan Thanks everyone for your support for rhyan Jeremy is donating rhyan a new bike and we are now saving for a shed to lock his ... more
- Alvin on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl I think the ticket inspector shouldn't given an authority to use the force to the customer. If you look at the metro system ... more
- tim on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl These 'Clockwork Orange' thugs are licensed bullies. How about some perspective? Yet again we have a commuter being ... more
- mick on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl No undue force was used and she was assaulting the railway security personal in resisting arrest. Police would have tasered ... more
- Ben on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl To be body slammed over a ticket it's a Joke, in all my years I've never seen a police officer do a body slam on a child ... more
- G. Gaters on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl And on top of all this, remember that any undeducted fares on 31st Dec. will be deducted from your Myki card at the higher ... more
- James on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl Slopping work given how many officers were standing around. She shouldn't have gotten through the unmanned gate in the first ... more
Helen Kapalos' sacking not sexist, but stupid
So Helen Kapalos has been dumped as channel Ten news reader.
I can see why. I don't agree with it but I see why.
Channel Ten has deep financial trouble. They have to cut costs but a few points:
There is no evidence this is sexist. She is a very good news reader, an attractive woman. She is good television but if one was to go, Mal Walden has a stronger history and it was better to keep him.
Both very decent people but the decision may not be sexist. But it is stupid. They have spent years and millions of dollars possibly advertising and promoting Helen Kapalos. They have made her face and name very very well known and now they have cut her loose.
Somebody else can pick up her talent and her profile and exploit it.
They should have offered her something else, even if it was a pay cut. Move her to something else and a starting point might have been that breakfast program, which at times has nobody watching.
Paul Henry is the host, I think that is his name. A New Zealander who is paid more than a million a year. Nobody watches.
Perhaps that would have been a job for Helen. She might have just the right audience. Anyway, to sack Kapalos and keep him seems ridiculous.
Will you protest?
The sacking of Helen Kapalos may or may not be sexist but it was stupid. And badly handled. Good luck Helen— Neil Mitchell (@3AWNeilMitchell) November 11, 2012
B'fast was a good show with Henry & his offsider who kept him on track.
He was controversal at times but he made people "think outside the box"....that was good! The show was never boring as are the other networks
WHAT A PITY.......sandy Wednesday 28 November, 2012 - 7:22 PM
Get over it Eddy, people that want to work get sacked, people that dont want to stay at home and enjoy the free money from centlink. Again the honest worker loses there jobjc Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 6:19 PM
Yes...sorry, rich lady, that you will have to look for work for a little while. Must be soooo tough.
Where will you go to recover from your grief......Europe, Hawaii, Caribbean or maybe you could stay at home and look at four grey walls that offer no answers to unemployment like the REAL unemployed have to.Eddy Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 3:48 PM
If you sack a female it is sexist.Christine Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 10:44 AM
I don't think Helen is saying this is sexist..it's likes of Tracey Spicer and other commentators saying this. It is not sexist at all...it is just stupid. Maybe management felt some kind of loyalty to Mal Walden after he has been at Ten for 25 years or more.
Helen is a great newsreader and her presence on the News at Five will be missed by many viewers. Mal Walden and Helen were paired together nicely and it is a tv chemistry that worked very well and you could tell they liked each other. It is just crazy that they spent so much luring her from Sydney to replace Jennifer Hansen...to spend all that money on advertising recently promoting the Ten News brand. It is the execution on how they got rid of her. When big stories broke...they sent Helen to them...she is a credible journalist and liked by many...Rob Bellman Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 12:28 AM
We met Helen on the "Ride to Conquer Cancer" (supporting Peter Macs). Yes, she was riding 100km per day to raise money for cancer representing Ch10? This was all 2 wks ago?
Helen is very natural & normal person. If she is a millionaire, you couldn't tell by her manner.
Most of us have been cut, and we learn that it's not the be all.
Good luck with whatever comes your way Helen, from Team Dipell.
Cheers, LenLen Monday 12 November, 2012 - 8:15 PM