- Bill's no-brainer: 'We're in this together'
- 'It's very little time for taking a life'
- Kennett: 'This is sheer incompetence'
- Ice driving killer verdict 'not adequate'
- Good idea or just rubbish?
- 'It's complex': Mayor defends slow Sydney Rd CCTV installation
- 'Blame the tradie, not contestants'
- Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of welfare'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Aaaa on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... It doesn't set a good example does it! Just proves how easily anyone can get away with a situation like this. They are ... more
- Lukew on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... What would be enough? more
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
- Jane on Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of ... Well this is one thing i agree with. Tired of tip-toeing on this issue. There are not hundreds of Muslims that support ... more
- Linda on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Christine Milne is as big a threat to our national security as groups like ISIS. Even the tiniest chink in our political ... more
- GIW on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Yes Mylene, that is the aim of Islam to take over the world. As a caller on the Sunday Morning show yesterdays said, there ... more
- mylene on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Don't worry in a couple of years we'll be trading with ISIS and the Taliban and anyone who mentions the war will be shouted ... more
- Jeff on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... As parents of young kids i cannot believe Essendon has put James Hird back in as coach, Hird should have nothing to do with ... more
- Stephen on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... Doesn't know a lot really does he! Including if the Bombers took anything illeagal!AFL Another Fool Leader. more
- Diane on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... How silly to have a coaches meeting when there are finals on and other coaches are having their reviews. more
- Jimbob on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... I wonder what the risk factor is for those other clubs attempting to poach essendong starts caught in this. If the worst ... more
- Mel on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Our neighbours also have a fox terrier & it's one of the most aggressive & unsocialised dogs I have seen! Has prevented us ... more
- Wayne on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... to wendy who wrote "Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this ... more
- Sam Maglitto on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... I heard this report on the radio this afternoon and being a Dog Lover I was horrified to think there are other owners who ... more
- wendy on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this would get peoples ... more
- Stephanie on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Such a tragedy for all involved. more
- Robert on 'PM's popularity between asbestos and ... But when he opposes public transport, his ratings suffer. His being so good at opposing things, particularly public ... more
- jgl Melb on 'If Ashby is right, Pyne should quit' Christopher Pyne;Verbal gymnast extraordinaire...Putting it politely more
- Colin Lacivita on Phone scam targets grieving widow I always get emails promising me money. I don't care who they are I always send a email back warning that their contact ... more
In a horrible week for crimes against women, statistics show a 21% rise
THE FOLLOWING IS AN EDITED VERSION OF NEIL MITCHELL'S EDITORIAL. IT HAS BEEN AMENDED FOR LEGAL REASONS.
I think there is something going on here. I don’t know what and I don’t know why. You may have some theories.
I was thinking this morning about the death of Sarah Cafferkey. It is an extraordinary case and I cannot remember Police releasing such detail of a suspect.
A 'person of interest' in this case has had contact with Sarah through Facebook and now can’t be found.
Now this does not seem to have any similarities to what alleged in the case of Jill Meagher, but the Courts are involved there and we can’t discuss it.
What got me thinking last night was the murder of Sarah and the murder of another woman in the street in West Footscray which Police have charged a man over. I thought, hang on, is there something going on here? And I got some statistics.
There is something to look at further. Think about this. The latest Police statistics show a significant increase in female victims. The most recent statistics, to June this year, show that crimes against women, crimes against the person involving women, increased 21 per cent.
Crimes against men increased only eight per cent. Of the female victims, 75.4 per cent were victims of assault, 19.9 per cent were victims of rape and sex offences.
Rape was up 16.6 per cent. That is horrendous.
The murder figures are on the way up too. Homicide of female victims up 10.3 per cent. Men were up more, but a 10 per cent increase for women.
We will try to drill down to these figures. Perhaps they are because of a greater reporting of domestic violence. Perhaps there is a more aggressive, more violent approach to women, or perhaps it is about respect – or lack of it.
I really don’t know. I guess it could be a statistical glitch too. But it needs a closer look.
Is there a more aggressive, more violent approach to women developing? If there is, if we identify it, the question then is what in God’s name do we do about it?
Australia must be a better place than this. We can’t cop it.
Sadly, this Saturday’s White Ribbon Day has never been so appropriately timed or so needed.
The 'person of interest' had contact with Sarah. He can’t be found. He is entitled to be considered innocent until proven otherwise.
The Police have to release details. It could be a public safety issue if nothing else.
This case is causing deep trauma in the Bacchus Marsh area. She was only 22, had a lot of friends and was an avid Facebook user – as was the man Police want.
LISTEN: Detective Superintendent Rod Jouning from Victoria Police Sexual and Family Violence squad speaks with Neil Mitchell:
"Someone gave me a chocolate"
"Who gave it to you?"
"I don't know - it's just an opinion."
That's how much sense you are making.
Oh I forgot I'm on 3AW where all right wing reactionaries find a home.
Actually why am I even responding to this?citygirl Monday 26 November, 2012 - 8:31 PM
Wow, hey @Steve, you certainly did hit a raw bone with @citygirl. 'Methinks the girl protests too much' and another adage, 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned' are certainly fitting for citygirls' rants. I don't think her arguments hold any water she sounds like a woman on a mission to desecrate men!Gloria Friday 23 November, 2012 - 5:31 PM
@ Steve.....Wow, what a riveting and convincing argument labeling me "a man hater".YOU do realize that a woman being attacked by a man,causes far more psychological and physical suffering,simply by virtue of the man's strength and the violation.I should also clarify SOME men(not all) cannot handle being sexually rejected by a woman so they lash out and retailiate in the only way they know how-by sheer physical brute force.Im sorry if my comments offended your sensibilities but your response was so lame..statistics are usually based on EVIDENCE that men committ more violent acts not just sexual violence -Robbery, rape, murder, road rage, etc. Who commits them MUCH more, men or women?-irrespective for the reasoning-the man was led on or tempted by the woman by what she was wearing and other forms of rationalization.That was my point in my original comment.So your counter response doesnt hold much sway therefore dont make assumptions about my character and my psyche You do not have a case.At all.citygirl Friday 23 November, 2012 - 2:53 PM
@ Steve..re read my post please.no where did i state i hated men-my MALE partner would be very surprised to hear that..do realize that violence is not JUST sexual violence? Robbery, rape, murder, road rage, etc. Who commits them MUCH more, men or women? That was my point in my original comment.Some men(i should have stressed SOME previously) who are sexually rejected by a woman they are attracted to cant deal so they flip,thats what I was referring to..It may offend your sensibilities to read this but deal.So dear Steve please dont read things into my character which are simply not true. You do not have a case.At all.citygirl Thursday 22 November, 2012 - 4:45 PM
@citygirl;And you are obviously a man hater I feel sorry for you what a pathetic comment>!Steve Thursday 22 November, 2012 - 10:51 AM
BS stat's, look at the number of malicious DVO's brought about to get advantage in the Family Court. Thats why the instances 74.5% are assualt. That figure includes txt messages !John F Wednesday 21 November, 2012 - 8:40 AM