- Hird has made correct call: Former legal advisor
- 'No one in the system gets justice'
- Niqab is not a 'symbol of evil'
- Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices
- 'An unsettled China is unsettling for Australia'
- David Davis denies Greg Sassella dispute
- Plan B: 'We have no choice'
- The Leaning Tower of Stupidity
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Michelle on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Alas, I remember the day when our lovely cleaning ladies, wiped the desks weekly, cleaned the bathrooms properly, spot ... more
- Sarah M on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Part of me is smiling and part of me is crying. The innocence of a child in stark contrast to the corruption of a country. ... more
- Gazza on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices @debsWell why are people on the so called minimum wage not lining up to be cleaners?.because $24 ph is insulting for a ... more
- Karen on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Let's see = $24 an hour x 4hrs x 5 days = $479, ooops! my maths is not too good.I work 8 hours a day and get slightly less ... more
- LNoolan on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Naaaa! Lazy bludgers are taking the square in Hong Kong just as they do here. Nasty contagious diease can only bring nasty ... more
- David R on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Thats close to the minimum wage factoring in casual rates and night shift loading. more
- michael on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Even toilets! What's next?The sewer system? Why not!Maybe then we will send the tourists to have a trip to the red dirt for ... more
- Julie Loncar. on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... This little girl sings a powerful message, not only for China, but for all of the world.The message is about people power. more
- binary-zero on Niqab is not a 'symbol of evil' As I muslim, I've repeatdely said this that Niqaab is not an Islamic thing - It's a cultural thing from Arab/Afghanistan ... more
- John Duff on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Why don't we leave it to the Children like that to be the world leaders. us adults aren't doing a very good job more
- Debs on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices $24 per hour??? That's not a bad rate. That's more than the minimum wage. I'm sure there are a lot of people working out ... more
- Linda Pettit on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Lets hope that this songbird reaches the masses and that there is a peaceful acknowledgement that some things in China need ... more
- Edward on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Well done as it doesn't hurt to let people know how others feel in these times more
- judy wilson on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... just beautiful more
- mylene on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Tony Abbott hasn't mentioned Hong Kong yet. It's obviously not a very important story. :p more
- poppitt on Plan B: 'We have no choice' If you have debt you pay interest. The more debt the more interest. Why is it people do not want to pay the debt? Do they ... more
- Lukew on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... The attack on that poor Muslim woman was appalling and would be roundly detested by most people. However, the Moreland ... more
- brendon on 'Something needs to be done about this' total moron !!!!! more
- Frances on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... HOW ON EARTH WAS SOMEONE LIKE SUE BOLTON EVEN ELECTED INTO BECOMING COUNCILLOR??? MAKING MASSIVE ACCUSATIONS OF PEOPLE ... more
- PJ on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Four things need to happen to solve the problem:1.The continued expansion and growing influence of ISIS/ISIL needs to be ... more
In a horrible week for crimes against women, statistics show a 21% rise
THE FOLLOWING IS AN EDITED VERSION OF NEIL MITCHELL'S EDITORIAL. IT HAS BEEN AMENDED FOR LEGAL REASONS.
I think there is something going on here. I don’t know what and I don’t know why. You may have some theories.
I was thinking this morning about the death of Sarah Cafferkey. It is an extraordinary case and I cannot remember Police releasing such detail of a suspect.
A 'person of interest' in this case has had contact with Sarah through Facebook and now can’t be found.
Now this does not seem to have any similarities to what alleged in the case of Jill Meagher, but the Courts are involved there and we can’t discuss it.
What got me thinking last night was the murder of Sarah and the murder of another woman in the street in West Footscray which Police have charged a man over. I thought, hang on, is there something going on here? And I got some statistics.
There is something to look at further. Think about this. The latest Police statistics show a significant increase in female victims. The most recent statistics, to June this year, show that crimes against women, crimes against the person involving women, increased 21 per cent.
Crimes against men increased only eight per cent. Of the female victims, 75.4 per cent were victims of assault, 19.9 per cent were victims of rape and sex offences.
Rape was up 16.6 per cent. That is horrendous.
The murder figures are on the way up too. Homicide of female victims up 10.3 per cent. Men were up more, but a 10 per cent increase for women.
We will try to drill down to these figures. Perhaps they are because of a greater reporting of domestic violence. Perhaps there is a more aggressive, more violent approach to women, or perhaps it is about respect – or lack of it.
I really don’t know. I guess it could be a statistical glitch too. But it needs a closer look.
Is there a more aggressive, more violent approach to women developing? If there is, if we identify it, the question then is what in God’s name do we do about it?
Australia must be a better place than this. We can’t cop it.
Sadly, this Saturday’s White Ribbon Day has never been so appropriately timed or so needed.
The 'person of interest' had contact with Sarah. He can’t be found. He is entitled to be considered innocent until proven otherwise.
The Police have to release details. It could be a public safety issue if nothing else.
This case is causing deep trauma in the Bacchus Marsh area. She was only 22, had a lot of friends and was an avid Facebook user – as was the man Police want.
LISTEN: Detective Superintendent Rod Jouning from Victoria Police Sexual and Family Violence squad speaks with Neil Mitchell:
"Someone gave me a chocolate"
"Who gave it to you?"
"I don't know - it's just an opinion."
That's how much sense you are making.
Oh I forgot I'm on 3AW where all right wing reactionaries find a home.
Actually why am I even responding to this?citygirl Monday 26 November, 2012 - 8:31 PM
Wow, hey @Steve, you certainly did hit a raw bone with @citygirl. 'Methinks the girl protests too much' and another adage, 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned' are certainly fitting for citygirls' rants. I don't think her arguments hold any water she sounds like a woman on a mission to desecrate men!Gloria Friday 23 November, 2012 - 5:31 PM
@ Steve.....Wow, what a riveting and convincing argument labeling me "a man hater".YOU do realize that a woman being attacked by a man,causes far more psychological and physical suffering,simply by virtue of the man's strength and the violation.I should also clarify SOME men(not all) cannot handle being sexually rejected by a woman so they lash out and retailiate in the only way they know how-by sheer physical brute force.Im sorry if my comments offended your sensibilities but your response was so lame..statistics are usually based on EVIDENCE that men committ more violent acts not just sexual violence -Robbery, rape, murder, road rage, etc. Who commits them MUCH more, men or women?-irrespective for the reasoning-the man was led on or tempted by the woman by what she was wearing and other forms of rationalization.That was my point in my original comment.So your counter response doesnt hold much sway therefore dont make assumptions about my character and my psyche You do not have a case.At all.citygirl Friday 23 November, 2012 - 2:53 PM
@ Steve..re read my post please.no where did i state i hated men-my MALE partner would be very surprised to hear that..do realize that violence is not JUST sexual violence? Robbery, rape, murder, road rage, etc. Who commits them MUCH more, men or women? That was my point in my original comment.Some men(i should have stressed SOME previously) who are sexually rejected by a woman they are attracted to cant deal so they flip,thats what I was referring to..It may offend your sensibilities to read this but deal.So dear Steve please dont read things into my character which are simply not true. You do not have a case.At all.citygirl Thursday 22 November, 2012 - 4:45 PM
@citygirl;And you are obviously a man hater I feel sorry for you what a pathetic comment>!Steve Thursday 22 November, 2012 - 10:51 AM
BS stat's, look at the number of malicious DVO's brought about to get advantage in the Family Court. Thats why the instances 74.5% are assualt. That figure includes txt messages !John F Wednesday 21 November, 2012 - 8:40 AM