- Hackers target webcams
- Keep on holding on
- 'I don't deserve this'
- Car park rip-off
- Photo: Cane toad in Melbourne?
- Shrine shadow building approved
- From the steps of Parliament
- Is this Xmas tree worth $1m?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Solomons' Sword on 'I don't deserve this' Paramedic standing over a sick patient: "Who are you going to vote for" before deciding what treatment to administer...Some ... more
- Deffa on 'I don't deserve this' @ David, It is not the same deal. The potential labour offer is 12% over 2 years, Governmet offer is 12% over 3 yrs. There ... more
- Janelle on Photo: Cane toad in Melbourne? Looks like a 'Banjo Frog' to me. Found one in Greensborough. more
- Sam Maglitto on 'I don't deserve this' Over this Union lead Dispute, yes I think Ambos and Paramedics deserve a better deal, But using the Vehicles and their ... more
- Heather on 'I don't deserve this' Unbelievable!!! This story has just decided my vote! Thank you Louise for your service (ditto to all other paramedics) and ... more
- Anna Brown on 'I don't deserve this' Louise is an incredibly hard working & dedicated paramedic. Paramedics work long hours in what r often traumatic & ... more
- IBARKER on 'I don't deserve this' Wear the uniform ?? but not your political "VIEWS""" more
- Marsha on Photo: Cane toad in Melbourne? I had a look at some photos as I didn't think the feet looked like a cane toad. Thanks for the Pobblebonk name - feet are ... more
- Lukew on 'I don't deserve this' The ambulance service should not be political and I think the disciplinary action for using the uniform to promote a ... more
- David on 'I don't deserve this' They were offered the same deal they said Labor offered and they would accept.. This is another example of Union thugs ... more
- Peggy on 'I don't deserve this' If she wants to make it personal then she should protest. Even if in uniform she can protest but to represent her employer ... more
- The quiet 'medic on 'I don't deserve this' Not mentioned here is that wearing our uniform for union actions outside of work is covered under protected industrial ... more
- Mark Cornford on 'I don't deserve this' It's getting to the stage that the Ambo's will soon ask if you are Liberal or Labour and if you are not what they support ... more
- Kylie on 'I don't deserve this' This gives one some insight into the bullying culture ambos cop under Ambulance Victoria. They treat ambos like utter ... more
- Kris on 'I don't deserve this' Yeah it seems pathetic but if it is policy you knew about it and you broke the rules then you should get punished for it. more
- Angry Ambo on 'I don't deserve this' This is yet another example of Ambulance Victoria's adversarial management approach toward their employees. They ... more
- Luke on Photo: Cane toad in Melbourne? Just to add, there are quite a few variations of Pobblebonk frog, also known as an Eastern Banjo - ... more
- Luke on Photo: Cane toad in Melbourne? Its a native frog called a Pobblebonk! Got to be careful not misidentifying animals. more
- Tracy Anderson on Photo: Cane toad in Melbourne? You were right the first time That slimy pestle beast dose look like Clive Palmer but then again if it really was him he ... more
- Scott on Photo: Cane toad in Melbourne? 100% not a cane toad, it's a common froglet. more
In a horrible week for crimes against women, statistics show a 21% rise
THE FOLLOWING IS AN EDITED VERSION OF NEIL MITCHELL'S EDITORIAL. IT HAS BEEN AMENDED FOR LEGAL REASONS.
I think there is something going on here. I don’t know what and I don’t know why. You may have some theories.
I was thinking this morning about the death of Sarah Cafferkey. It is an extraordinary case and I cannot remember Police releasing such detail of a suspect.
A 'person of interest' in this case has had contact with Sarah through Facebook and now can’t be found.
Now this does not seem to have any similarities to what alleged in the case of Jill Meagher, but the Courts are involved there and we can’t discuss it.
What got me thinking last night was the murder of Sarah and the murder of another woman in the street in West Footscray which Police have charged a man over. I thought, hang on, is there something going on here? And I got some statistics.
There is something to look at further. Think about this. The latest Police statistics show a significant increase in female victims. The most recent statistics, to June this year, show that crimes against women, crimes against the person involving women, increased 21 per cent.
Crimes against men increased only eight per cent. Of the female victims, 75.4 per cent were victims of assault, 19.9 per cent were victims of rape and sex offences.
Rape was up 16.6 per cent. That is horrendous.
The murder figures are on the way up too. Homicide of female victims up 10.3 per cent. Men were up more, but a 10 per cent increase for women.
We will try to drill down to these figures. Perhaps they are because of a greater reporting of domestic violence. Perhaps there is a more aggressive, more violent approach to women, or perhaps it is about respect – or lack of it.
I really don’t know. I guess it could be a statistical glitch too. But it needs a closer look.
Is there a more aggressive, more violent approach to women developing? If there is, if we identify it, the question then is what in God’s name do we do about it?
Australia must be a better place than this. We can’t cop it.
Sadly, this Saturday’s White Ribbon Day has never been so appropriately timed or so needed.
The 'person of interest' had contact with Sarah. He can’t be found. He is entitled to be considered innocent until proven otherwise.
The Police have to release details. It could be a public safety issue if nothing else.
This case is causing deep trauma in the Bacchus Marsh area. She was only 22, had a lot of friends and was an avid Facebook user – as was the man Police want.
LISTEN: Detective Superintendent Rod Jouning from Victoria Police Sexual and Family Violence squad speaks with Neil Mitchell:
"Someone gave me a chocolate"
"Who gave it to you?"
"I don't know - it's just an opinion."
That's how much sense you are making.
Oh I forgot I'm on 3AW where all right wing reactionaries find a home.
Actually why am I even responding to this?citygirl Monday 26 November, 2012 - 8:31 PM
Wow, hey @Steve, you certainly did hit a raw bone with @citygirl. 'Methinks the girl protests too much' and another adage, 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned' are certainly fitting for citygirls' rants. I don't think her arguments hold any water she sounds like a woman on a mission to desecrate men!Gloria Friday 23 November, 2012 - 5:31 PM
@ Steve.....Wow, what a riveting and convincing argument labeling me "a man hater".YOU do realize that a woman being attacked by a man,causes far more psychological and physical suffering,simply by virtue of the man's strength and the violation.I should also clarify SOME men(not all) cannot handle being sexually rejected by a woman so they lash out and retailiate in the only way they know how-by sheer physical brute force.Im sorry if my comments offended your sensibilities but your response was so lame..statistics are usually based on EVIDENCE that men committ more violent acts not just sexual violence -Robbery, rape, murder, road rage, etc. Who commits them MUCH more, men or women?-irrespective for the reasoning-the man was led on or tempted by the woman by what she was wearing and other forms of rationalization.That was my point in my original comment.So your counter response doesnt hold much sway therefore dont make assumptions about my character and my psyche You do not have a case.At all.citygirl Friday 23 November, 2012 - 2:53 PM
@ Steve..re read my post please.no where did i state i hated men-my MALE partner would be very surprised to hear that..do realize that violence is not JUST sexual violence? Robbery, rape, murder, road rage, etc. Who commits them MUCH more, men or women? That was my point in my original comment.Some men(i should have stressed SOME previously) who are sexually rejected by a woman they are attracted to cant deal so they flip,thats what I was referring to..It may offend your sensibilities to read this but deal.So dear Steve please dont read things into my character which are simply not true. You do not have a case.At all.citygirl Thursday 22 November, 2012 - 4:45 PM
@citygirl;And you are obviously a man hater I feel sorry for you what a pathetic comment>!Steve Thursday 22 November, 2012 - 10:51 AM
BS stat's, look at the number of malicious DVO's brought about to get advantage in the Family Court. Thats why the instances 74.5% are assualt. That figure includes txt messages !John F Wednesday 21 November, 2012 - 8:40 AM