- 'The Easter Bunny is bad for kids'
- Thumbtack terrorists target Kew cyclists
- 'Do we need to see that?': Shaw
- Police to immobilise hoon drivers
- Government warned of pensioner backlash
- Star wheel hits 100,000th customer
- Kennett: Move Hawks to Tasmania
- FIXED: Bank backs down
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Karl Gawlik on FIXED: Bank backs down Well done Neil and 3AW. I had a similar problem with the same bank, not as serious but still a lot of money was involved. ... more
- sm on Kennett: Move Hawks to Tasmania Do it Hawks - Do it !! ASAPbetter ground - no covering to "protect fully matured men from rain etc etc"DO IT HAWKS more
- Ron G on FIXED: Bank backs down Ditch the Combank.Take accounts to Bendigo or Community based Bank more
- Amazed on FIXED: Bank backs down Yep my tears are flowing as well. How can you not have tears... more
- Amazed on Kennett: Move Hawks to Tasmania You have to be kidding Jeff Why TASMANIA :( more
- Graham on Kennett: Move Hawks to Tasmania May Jeff Kennett should move to Launceston. Has he considered 60,000 true and passionate members ? What an amazing statement ... more
- Colin Lacivita on FIXED: Bank backs down We all in the community would be lost without 3AW and Neil Mitchell CBA should know better the poor guy shouldn't have to ... more
- Noel Goodear on FIXED: Bank backs down My shares in the Commonwealth Bank says help the family, you might be right legally but where is your compassion - he has ... more
- Neddy on FIXED: Bank backs down Bloody Greedy COMMONWEALTH BANK. I removed my term deposit from this GREEDY bank in January because of their SNEEKY charges. ... more
- Chez on FIXED: Bank backs down Mr Simpson I am feeling for you and your family, re your situation. I am elated with the Commonwealth Bank, Its wonderful ... more
- Milton on FIXED: Bank backs down Neil:They shouldn't have to be dragged kicking and screaming to that position.Sorry, good move but no credit to them I am ... more
- Gavan Wignall on FIXED: Bank backs down Thanks Neil. Well done sorting the Commbank. Stuart is a former colleague of mine and having worked with him for 7 years can ... more
- David on FIXED: Bank backs down Just like warranties on cars.. not worth the paper they are written on.. I hope CBA come to this families aid but I doubt ... more
- Dame Mylene on 'Rats are eating my new home': Family's ... The rats are winning. more
- Dame Mylene on Speed camera mystery: Is this the ... They could save a lot of money by just sending out fines to P platers that drive sports utes. Before you can own one you ... more
- poppitt on 'Rats are eating my new home': Family's ... Why would it be the builders fault? more
- Stephen on Demetriou on Sunday night's clash There lays the problem with the AFL thinking Sunday night football suits the supporters. REALLY!! more
- Keith J on School porn incident 'isolated' Being the father of the other child i understand the frustration and anger.This is an unfortunate event that has taken ... more
- Christine on Jealous parents target Bonds babies To the people who shared their poisoness views, how totally disgusting, you should be ashamed of yourselves. more
- Ms Bobby Cobani on Rosie Batty's anger at TV host I hope Chief Commissioner and other prominent males speak up. No one can know the type of fear Rosie is talking about. ... more
In a horrible week for crimes against women, statistics show a 21% rise
THE FOLLOWING IS AN EDITED VERSION OF NEIL MITCHELL'S EDITORIAL. IT HAS BEEN AMENDED FOR LEGAL REASONS.
I think there is something going on here. I don’t know what and I don’t know why. You may have some theories.
I was thinking this morning about the death of Sarah Cafferkey. It is an extraordinary case and I cannot remember Police releasing such detail of a suspect.
A 'person of interest' in this case has had contact with Sarah through Facebook and now can’t be found.
Now this does not seem to have any similarities to what alleged in the case of Jill Meagher, but the Courts are involved there and we can’t discuss it.
What got me thinking last night was the murder of Sarah and the murder of another woman in the street in West Footscray which Police have charged a man over. I thought, hang on, is there something going on here? And I got some statistics.
There is something to look at further. Think about this. The latest Police statistics show a significant increase in female victims. The most recent statistics, to June this year, show that crimes against women, crimes against the person involving women, increased 21 per cent.
Crimes against men increased only eight per cent. Of the female victims, 75.4 per cent were victims of assault, 19.9 per cent were victims of rape and sex offences.
Rape was up 16.6 per cent. That is horrendous.
The murder figures are on the way up too. Homicide of female victims up 10.3 per cent. Men were up more, but a 10 per cent increase for women.
We will try to drill down to these figures. Perhaps they are because of a greater reporting of domestic violence. Perhaps there is a more aggressive, more violent approach to women, or perhaps it is about respect – or lack of it.
I really don’t know. I guess it could be a statistical glitch too. But it needs a closer look.
Is there a more aggressive, more violent approach to women developing? If there is, if we identify it, the question then is what in God’s name do we do about it?
Australia must be a better place than this. We can’t cop it.
Sadly, this Saturday’s White Ribbon Day has never been so appropriately timed or so needed.
The 'person of interest' had contact with Sarah. He can’t be found. He is entitled to be considered innocent until proven otherwise.
The Police have to release details. It could be a public safety issue if nothing else.
This case is causing deep trauma in the Bacchus Marsh area. She was only 22, had a lot of friends and was an avid Facebook user – as was the man Police want.
LISTEN: Detective Superintendent Rod Jouning from Victoria Police Sexual and Family Violence squad speaks with Neil Mitchell:
"Someone gave me a chocolate"
"Who gave it to you?"
"I don't know - it's just an opinion."
That's how much sense you are making.
Oh I forgot I'm on 3AW where all right wing reactionaries find a home.
Actually why am I even responding to this?citygirl Monday 26 November, 2012 - 8:31 PM
Wow, hey @Steve, you certainly did hit a raw bone with @citygirl. 'Methinks the girl protests too much' and another adage, 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned' are certainly fitting for citygirls' rants. I don't think her arguments hold any water she sounds like a woman on a mission to desecrate men!Gloria Friday 23 November, 2012 - 5:31 PM
@ Steve.....Wow, what a riveting and convincing argument labeling me "a man hater".YOU do realize that a woman being attacked by a man,causes far more psychological and physical suffering,simply by virtue of the man's strength and the violation.I should also clarify SOME men(not all) cannot handle being sexually rejected by a woman so they lash out and retailiate in the only way they know how-by sheer physical brute force.Im sorry if my comments offended your sensibilities but your response was so lame..statistics are usually based on EVIDENCE that men committ more violent acts not just sexual violence -Robbery, rape, murder, road rage, etc. Who commits them MUCH more, men or women?-irrespective for the reasoning-the man was led on or tempted by the woman by what she was wearing and other forms of rationalization.That was my point in my original comment.So your counter response doesnt hold much sway therefore dont make assumptions about my character and my psyche You do not have a case.At all.citygirl Friday 23 November, 2012 - 2:53 PM
@ Steve..re read my post please.no where did i state i hated men-my MALE partner would be very surprised to hear that..do realize that violence is not JUST sexual violence? Robbery, rape, murder, road rage, etc. Who commits them MUCH more, men or women? That was my point in my original comment.Some men(i should have stressed SOME previously) who are sexually rejected by a woman they are attracted to cant deal so they flip,thats what I was referring to..It may offend your sensibilities to read this but deal.So dear Steve please dont read things into my character which are simply not true. You do not have a case.At all.citygirl Thursday 22 November, 2012 - 4:45 PM
@citygirl;And you are obviously a man hater I feel sorry for you what a pathetic comment>!Steve Thursday 22 November, 2012 - 10:51 AM
BS stat's, look at the number of malicious DVO's brought about to get advantage in the Family Court. Thats why the instances 74.5% are assualt. That figure includes txt messages !John F Wednesday 21 November, 2012 - 8:40 AM