- What NBN means for the Average Joe
- Triple Zero for all sorts of emergencies
- NBN BS must stop: Turnbull
- 'Who's accountable for this mess?'
- Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake Santa video
- Boy suspended for kissing girl's hand
- 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou a liar'
- Labor deal with Pies is 'ridiculous'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Damian on Red-Light debacle: 'Vicroads have ... I was issued a ticket for red light on Warrigal and North Road on 26 September 2013. Reading through your columns I notice ... more
- senseless on 'Today is a day for victory': ... Unvelievable, buy back solarium beds at the peoples expense to get them off the streets - then mandate the smart meter ... more
- Peggy on Father wants dog put down after attack @smilingjack, you really hate dogs don't you.Dogs are animals and not babysitters, so when a child who is left alone with a ... more
- Gloria on Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake ... Two young people rattling tin for donations to Greenpeace outside Preston Market on Saturday. I asked them if they actually ... more
- PJ on NBN BS must stop: Turnbull Labors NBN- omitted from the normal audit process for Government policy (oh ooh hello)- only 3 years old and 2 years behind- ... more
- smilingjack on Father wants dog put down after attack its amazing how all cartoon dogs and dogs in adas magically have big smiles and no teeth. all dogs are killers. full stop. ... more
- Mark on NBN BS must stop: Turnbull Tim Holding destroyed Victoria's water policies and walked away with no consequences more
- Bostwick on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Without defending James Hird's part in all of this, it seems to me that all through this process the AFL has wanted to have ... more
- Nat on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... Peggy, Its not that cyclists don't want to be identified, ask to see my ID any day of the week on the bike and I'll pass it ... more
- Steve on Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake ... Greepeace; a bunch of losers I bet they won't interfere with Russian ships again>... more
- David T. on Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake ... What else but offensive promotional stunts, can we expect from a bunch of leftist idiots. more
- Solomons' Sword on Analogue TV switch-off 999 channels and still nothing worth watching! more
- CHRIS WATTS on NBN BS must stop: Turnbull i thought turnbulls' boss said that they would not be blaming previous governments for anything, pity he has forgotten what ... more
- bee on 'Who's accountable for this mess?' I am sick and tired of Governments (Labour Especially) getting the country into so much debt and the taxpayers having to ... more
- Christine on Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake ... So ....my impression of this video is this: Greenpeace is holding Santa hostage and forcing him at gunpoint to spew their ... more
- mandy on Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake ... I think its how you perceive it I mean advertising agencies have churned out so many offensive ads over the years on certain ... more
- Samuel J on 'Who's accountable for this mess?' There should be a legal mechanism where politicians such as Rudd and Gillard who have seriously stuffed up our country ... more
- David T. on Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake ... Poor old "Greenpeace". They are finding it increasingly difficult to appear relevant in the "Save The World" movement. Now, ... more
- Aaron on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl There is a difference between reasonable force and excessive force. Head slamming someone into the ground is in my view ... more
- me on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... The cyclist should be arrested and charged with assault and battery and the woman should probably attend traffic school to ... more
Jeff Kennett: I hope the standards of awarding a Victoria Cross haven’t been lowered
Former Premier Jeff Kennett says he hopes the standards of awarding a Victoria Cross haven’t been lowered ahead of the expected announcement of a third VC recipient this morning.
Speaking with Neil Mitchell, Mr Kennett said while he had the utmost respect for VC recipients and all soldiers who fight for our country abroad, he hoped it was still being awarded for ‘the most outstanding act of bravery’.
”It is the highest decoration that a soldier can be given, and we should always salute the fact that it represents an expression, a deed of such bravery that's almost impossible to recount,” he said.
”We only awarded four Victoria Crosses for Vietnam, and we had literally thousands of soldiers there.”
”Where you've only got 1500 troops on average each year in Afghanistan, I just hope we're awarding them still for the highest level of bravery.”
The Australian Army says the Victoria Cross is awarded to “persons who, in the presence of the enemy, display the most conspicuous gallantry; a daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice; or extreme devotion to duty.”
Six Victoria Crosses were awarded in the Boer War between 1899-1902; 64 were awarded in World War I between 1914-1918; Two were awarded in North Russia in 1919; 20 were awarded in World War II between 1939-1945; and four were awarded in Vietnam between 1962-1972.
"There's just something that's eating in my gut that says with so few soldiers there, are we not in any way lowering our standards,” he said.
"I have no doubt if it is awarded today the individual would have committed and extraordinary act of gallantry.
"Some will think I shouldn't have raised (this), but it's an expression."
LISTEN: Jeff Kennett speaks with Neil Mitchell:
Can we please find out exactly what action "Rambo" Kennett has seen? He makes out like he is a war hero, when in fact he is a private school boy who liked to play dress up & the closet he got to any action was a wrestle with his squad mates in the rec room. The guy is a joke & only gets a gig because Mitchell has all his Liberal mates & their kids working on his program.Matt - proudly Un-Australian Monday 5 November, 2012 - 3:56 PM
Geoff Kennett you are an embarrassment and coward. How would you know what it is like in battle? You politicians are very brave sending our boys to war, then dumping them when they come home. Remember how Vietnam troops were treated when they first came back? Short memory you gormless looser. A WHITE FEATHER to you, YOU COWARD!!! Vietnam was a different war to the one in Afghanistan so don't compare the two. I note you didn't serve in Vietnam, you are a COWARD!David Everett Sunday 4 November, 2012 - 8:57 AM
The Falklands went for how long? Not long compared to Afghanistan and 2x VC were awarded. You can't compared conflicts duration and troop number. It is major desperate actions that generally produce the opportunity for one man to stand out and be deserving of a VC and in Afghanistan there has been several incidents like this. The VC has been wrapped up and infected by politics and propaganda since it's inception. Ie Rorkes Drift diverting attention from the massacre at Iswandala. But this can't detract from the valour of deserving recipients in Afghanistan or anywhere.Trev Saturday 3 November, 2012 - 5:13 PM
is Jeff serious, or is he wasting another radio spot as he seems to do every time he gets on air? EVERY soldier who earns a VC does so through putting their life on the line, and the sad fact Australia doesn't do enough to award our lads is a slight on them by our country and our leaders and everyone concerned should bow their heads in shame. Too many Jeff? Too few is what you should have said. Like to mathc your service record with 1RAR agianst any of the recipients. No? Thought so.Rod Saturday 3 November, 2012 - 4:49 PM
It is recognised that the distribution and amount of awards during the Vietnam war was grossly unfair. All four well deserved VCs during that conflict went to very senior soldiers and an officer. I don't think there is any doubt that deserving acts of valour amongst the ORs went unrecognised. We have already seen the efforts made for a handful of retrospective awards to the Long Tan vets.
It seems the army hierarchy, honours and awards and the government have learnt from Vietnam and are now awarding very appropriate and well deserved awards to soldiers who deserve them.
The comments by Kennet are uninformed, disrespectful and inflammatory. He is better served directing his attention to those soldiers who go unrecognised rather than slurring those who are fortunate to be rightly recognised.
Quotas still exist and soldiers deserving of recognition still go unrecognised. In the VC actions of Donaldson, Roberts-Smith and Keighran, four other soldiers were recognised with lesser awards. Any other deserving soldiers who fell outside this quota, received nothing. These soldiers are the ones that a public figure such as Kennett should be talking about.Troy Saturday 3 November, 2012 - 4:21 PM
Jeff did say, before he made the comment, that it would not be popular BUT what he said was he HOPED he new VC Award winner would be worthy of it and not just a token and that was before the recipient was named. I'm sure Jeff would now be saying that Corporal Daniel is a very worthy recipient.Willow Saturday 3 November, 2012 - 11:11 AM