- Photos: Windy Victoria prepares for worse
- 'Banks need to improve their reputation'
- 'I feel like I've earned this'
- Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save lives'
- Footscray surgeon's 'miracle' recovery
- Shooting star Laetisha Scanlan with Neil Mitchell
- Newsreader gaffe: Who am I again?
- Neil Mitchell concedes defeat on speed camera questions
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- IBARKER on Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save ... This is not only a man V women it can happen the other way. more
- Milton on Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save ... Why wait for 3 breaches, why not 2 or possibly just 1? more
- Steve on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... How can this man expect anybody to believe such rubbish? Recording a private conversation is legal as long as it is not ... more
- Joe Garra on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Why did they destroy someone else's property?? more
- Eric on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... What a beat up,who cares it is of no importance in the running of the State. Just another example of Neil Mitchell making a ... more
- poppitt on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... It appears Mr Andrews likes to call other politicians out for lying, cheating, stealing, but when it comes to members of his ... more
- Vallipuram on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... so it is ok to vandalise someone elses property As leader of opposition you accept responsibility for vandalism of property ... more
- Dallas on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Peter dalglish forget about tying to find the State Labor website on-line the way you spell you'll end up at a maternity ... more
- Stephen on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Oh and Mr Andrews the property was not yours to destroy!! So theft and criminal damage! The potential charges grow!! more
- Marko on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I'd like to know why no police charges have been laid against Daniel Andrews, Kosmos Samaras, etc? When I was a cop it was ... more
- Bruce on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Mr Andrews still did not take responsibility!He repeatedly stated "It is my responsibility to get to the bottom of it"He ... more
- Bob on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Dead man walking, Mr Andrews. You expect us to believe that all those around you knew about the tape, what was on it, copied ... more
- Kate on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Interesting comment he makes in the second half of the tape at 8.07 - "I first heard this and I am not entirely sure I have ... more
- Fred on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Someone needs to teach Andrews the definition of theft. Only then will he understand what a 'thief' is. Mealy mouthed ... more
- bc on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... poor baby huey andrews the carnival is over .One thing there are grubs on all sides grubby guy is after napthines job.Fancy ... more
- Peter dalglish on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Daniels Andrews connected with unions federal opposition leader connected with unions, see a pattern happening here.Now to ... more
- Big Al on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I have no faith or respect for any of our politicians. They are all devious and incompetent. Most people I speak to are ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Woman disgusted over 'death' plate This is unforgivable. The driver of this vehicle should be exposed so we can see who he really is. He should not be allowed ... more
- IBARKER on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Poppitt ?? Where are you for out thou. more
- Liz on Work for the dole 'unfair' on jobseekers If they stop sending all our jobs overseas. There would be plenty avail.If they leave call centre jobs in Australia there ... more
Journalist Andrew Rule reports back from Afghanistan
Herald Sun Journalist Andew Rule has been on assignment in Afghanistan and joined Neil Mitchell from the war-torn country to detail some of his experiences.
LISTEN BELOW: Andrew Rule
Rule says the danger the diggers face is constantly evident but it really hit home before they embarked on a cross country trip from the Kabul main base to an artillery range along a road referred to as Highway 7.
"Before we left a senior intelligence officer gave us a briefing saying 'Look we've had some warnings that there are going to be some incidents this weekend. It’s a holy day, they are trying to make a point and we think they are going to use kids',”
“What he means is, if we were perhaps held up in the traffic, we would have to be aware of the thought that a child with a bomb strapped to them would walk out and blow themselves up" Rule told Neil Mitchell.
Rule says that of the troops he has met their is a common and constant belief that the Australian presence in Afghanistan is achieving positive results.
"One young bloke who is about 30, who has children of his own back in Australia, he said to me that it’s a 15-year project,"
"'We have to get to the children who are growing up here, and we have to prove to them that we are not bad people, and that there is a different way of life',"
"'If we can get all those kids realising that there is a different way and not to treat us with suspicion and not to hate infidels then we will have done our job', and he believes that they are getting to that" Rule told Neil Mitchell.
I don't like it when journalists go there thinking they're going to get the full picture when in fact they are simply getting the picture that the military wants to give them. That's not independent journalism.jason Tuesday 27 November, 2012 - 2:40 PM
What a stinking dump this joint is.
I realise the Taliban has to be eliminated from there, but I should hate to have a member of my family over there.Faye Tuesday 27 November, 2012 - 12:16 PM