- Thumbtack terrorists target Kew cyclists
- 'Do we need to see that?': Shaw
- Police to immobilise hoon drivers
- Government warned of pensioner backlash
- Star wheel hits 100,000th customer
- Kennett: Move Hawks to Tasmania
- FIXED: Bank backs down
- Bob Carr: I didn't deceive Australians
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Karl Gawlik on FIXED: Bank backs down Well done Neil and 3AW. I had a similar problem with the same bank, not as serious but still a lot of money was involved. ... more
- sm on Kennett: Move Hawks to Tasmania Do it Hawks - Do it !! ASAPbetter ground - no covering to "protect fully matured men from rain etc etc"DO IT HAWKS more
- Ron G on FIXED: Bank backs down Ditch the Combank.Take accounts to Bendigo or Community based Bank more
- Amazed on FIXED: Bank backs down Yep my tears are flowing as well. How can you not have tears... more
- Amazed on Kennett: Move Hawks to Tasmania You have to be kidding Jeff Why TASMANIA :( more
- Graham on Kennett: Move Hawks to Tasmania May Jeff Kennett should move to Launceston. Has he considered 60,000 true and passionate members ? What an amazing statement ... more
- Colin Lacivita on FIXED: Bank backs down We all in the community would be lost without 3AW and Neil Mitchell CBA should know better the poor guy shouldn't have to ... more
- Noel Goodear on FIXED: Bank backs down My shares in the Commonwealth Bank says help the family, you might be right legally but where is your compassion - he has ... more
- Neddy on FIXED: Bank backs down Bloody Greedy COMMONWEALTH BANK. I removed my term deposit from this GREEDY bank in January because of their SNEEKY charges. ... more
- Chez on FIXED: Bank backs down Mr Simpson I am feeling for you and your family, re your situation. I am elated with the Commonwealth Bank, Its wonderful ... more
- Milton on FIXED: Bank backs down Neil:They shouldn't have to be dragged kicking and screaming to that position.Sorry, good move but no credit to them I am ... more
- Gavan Wignall on FIXED: Bank backs down Thanks Neil. Well done sorting the Commbank. Stuart is a former colleague of mine and having worked with him for 7 years can ... more
- David on FIXED: Bank backs down Just like warranties on cars.. not worth the paper they are written on.. I hope CBA come to this families aid but I doubt ... more
- Dame Mylene on 'Rats are eating my new home': Family's ... The rats are winning. more
- Dame Mylene on Speed camera mystery: Is this the ... They could save a lot of money by just sending out fines to P platers that drive sports utes. Before you can own one you ... more
- poppitt on 'Rats are eating my new home': Family's ... Why would it be the builders fault? more
- Stephen on Demetriou on Sunday night's clash There lays the problem with the AFL thinking Sunday night football suits the supporters. REALLY!! more
- Keith J on School porn incident 'isolated' Being the father of the other child i understand the frustration and anger.This is an unfortunate event that has taken ... more
- Christine on Jealous parents target Bonds babies To the people who shared their poisoness views, how totally disgusting, you should be ashamed of yourselves. more
- Ms Bobby Cobani on Rosie Batty's anger at TV host I hope Chief Commissioner and other prominent males speak up. No one can know the type of fear Rosie is talking about. ... more
Ken Lay blasts Facebook for lack of social responsibility
Chief Commissioner Ken Lay has blasted social media behemoth Facebook for its lack of social responsibility, after Victoria’s top cop revealed on the Neil Mitchell program earlier this week that repeated requests for pages which could jeopardise the legal proceedings involving Jill Meagher’s alleged killer had been denied.
While six pages prejudicial pages were removed during the week, it now appears the administrators of each page may have voluntarily removed the pages – without Facebook’s intervention.
Mr Lay said in turn for Facebook having a community 1 billion users to make money from, they have the social responsibility to invest in the community.
”(Facebook) is sucking an enormous amount of money out of the community, (but) isn't prepared to invest in that community by helping it stay safe and acting in an appropriate manner,” he said.
Facebook posted a $1.2 billion revenue in July this year in its first earnings report since its IPO.
”For Facebook to say to me: ‘well sorry, give me a court order and we'll think about it’, it just frustrates me,” Mr Lay said.
"That's just nonsense to me. If every business behaved like that, we'd be in a sorry state in this community."
Mr Lay said the initiative the Victorian community had shown in calling for the removal of pages which incited violence against Adrian Ernest Bayley, 41, the man accused of Jill Meagher’s rape and murder, and their subsequent removal, was promising.
Mr Lay described the pages as "offensive garbage".
”I just wonder when the users say enough is enough and this shouldn't be tolerated. That's when they'll (Facebook) see the light,” he said.
LISTEN: Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay speaks with Neil Mitchell:
Sorry cannot find any offensive Jill Meagher on facebook, only condolence pages. Have Neil or any 3AW crew witnessed these apparent disturbing pages?Will Shepherd Monday 8 October, 2012 - 11:44 AM
Facebook has never shown me any lude or rude images, in fact it is not acceptable to show a woman breastfeeding on facebook. I havent seen the Jill thing as I have no interest apart from the dreadful crime that happened.
The GAWKERS make such pages possible.Will Shepherd Monday 8 October, 2012 - 11:33 AM
I don't think the Victorian Commissioner understands that his jurisdiction resides within Victoria only and not anywhere else. So unless he can find a legitimate legal reason to ask for a particular page take down. Than he should contact the relevant authority, but I can tell you right here that it's a complete waste of time to be an Internet crusader.
Offensive? Being offended is relative, because it's offensive to you, or the vocal minority, doesn't mean it's going to be taken down or should be taken down.
Does this fellow actually think that Facebook is the only social site on the Internet reporting about this particular news story? Are you going to take down each and every page? People expressing there emotions about particular person?
We live in the 21st century. Just because this sort of banter is expressed by on internet. The same is being done within people's homes, work, school. People are simply expressing themselves.Anthony Monday 8 October, 2012 - 1:21 AM
ken said facebook makes alot of money ha ha ha so do you cash register ken all under the banner of safety LOLbarry Friday 5 October, 2012 - 8:18 PM
Sorry I just don't get it excuse me if I seem ignorant but haven't the public got the right to vent their anger Facebook is a form of communication we couldn't vent our anger against vicious crimes in the 60s,70s,80s etc now its available can you blame us this manic confessed to the crime this is a form of control we don't care about the sub justice laws if it was the middle east it would be off with his head enough is enough by the way the judges don't help the public why should we help them.poptart Friday 5 October, 2012 - 6:58 PM
It is rather stupid of FB to say no,When they clearly close group pages and Games because people complain.
Why they feel they are above the law i don't understand.
Because they send one message to the public expecting to be adhered too
Yet Ignore serious requests from the Police WTF Get Real Face Bookjo Friday 5 October, 2012 - 11:24 AM