- Calls to legalise marijuana
- ABC work-ethic 'shocking': Former manager
- 'It was something we didn't want to see'
- RSL apologises over Turban ban
- Australian Open in 16-year-old's sights
- RSL slams Crowe's comments
- Hackers target webcams
- Keep on holding on
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Paul on 'I don't deserve this' Solomons' Sword. You really think it happens that way. Your a joke.If your happy waiting 16mins for an Ambulance while ... more
- MikeO on 'I don't deserve this' Ambos need a pay rise but there many other people who need them too. I do not like people paid by the tax payer using their ... more
- Randal Woods on 'I don't deserve this' Solomon's Sword, you are obviously a moron. What ambo stands over patients, asking who they will vote for before they treat ... more
- Andrew on 'I don't deserve this' Advocating for patients is a professional trait and being outspoken is acceptable in that context. However, I'm not sure if ... more
- Solomons' Sword on 'I don't deserve this' Paramedic standing over a sick patient: "Who are you going to vote for" before deciding what treatment to administer...Some ... more
- Deffa on 'I don't deserve this' @ David, It is not the same deal. The potential labour offer is 12% over 2 years, Governmet offer is 12% over 3 yrs. There ... more
- Janelle on Photo: Cane toad in Melbourne? Looks like a 'Banjo Frog' to me. Found one in Greensborough. more
- Sam Maglitto on 'I don't deserve this' Over this Union lead Dispute, yes I think Ambos and Paramedics deserve a better deal, But using the Vehicles and their ... more
- Heather on 'I don't deserve this' Unbelievable!!! This story has just decided my vote! Thank you Louise for your service (ditto to all other paramedics) and ... more
- Anna Brown on 'I don't deserve this' Louise is an incredibly hard working & dedicated paramedic. Paramedics work long hours in what r often traumatic & ... more
- IBARKER on 'I don't deserve this' Wear the uniform ?? but not your political "VIEWS""" more
- Marsha on Photo: Cane toad in Melbourne? I had a look at some photos as I didn't think the feet looked like a cane toad. Thanks for the Pobblebonk name - feet are ... more
- Lukew on 'I don't deserve this' The ambulance service should not be political and I think the disciplinary action for using the uniform to promote a ... more
- David on 'I don't deserve this' They were offered the same deal they said Labor offered and they would accept.. This is another example of Union thugs ... more
- Peggy on 'I don't deserve this' If she wants to make it personal then she should protest. Even if in uniform she can protest but to represent her employer ... more
- The quiet 'medic on 'I don't deserve this' Not mentioned here is that wearing our uniform for union actions outside of work is covered under protected industrial ... more
- Mark Cornford on 'I don't deserve this' It's getting to the stage that the Ambo's will soon ask if you are Liberal or Labour and if you are not what they support ... more
- Kylie on 'I don't deserve this' This gives one some insight into the bullying culture ambos cop under Ambulance Victoria. They treat ambos like utter ... more
- Kris on 'I don't deserve this' Yeah it seems pathetic but if it is policy you knew about it and you broke the rules then you should get punished for it. more
- Angry Ambo on 'I don't deserve this' This is yet another example of Ambulance Victoria's adversarial management approach toward their employees. They ... more
Ken Lay blasts Facebook for lack of social responsibility
Chief Commissioner Ken Lay has blasted social media behemoth Facebook for its lack of social responsibility, after Victoria’s top cop revealed on the Neil Mitchell program earlier this week that repeated requests for pages which could jeopardise the legal proceedings involving Jill Meagher’s alleged killer had been denied.
While six pages prejudicial pages were removed during the week, it now appears the administrators of each page may have voluntarily removed the pages – without Facebook’s intervention.
Mr Lay said in turn for Facebook having a community 1 billion users to make money from, they have the social responsibility to invest in the community.
”(Facebook) is sucking an enormous amount of money out of the community, (but) isn't prepared to invest in that community by helping it stay safe and acting in an appropriate manner,” he said.
Facebook posted a $1.2 billion revenue in July this year in its first earnings report since its IPO.
”For Facebook to say to me: ‘well sorry, give me a court order and we'll think about it’, it just frustrates me,” Mr Lay said.
"That's just nonsense to me. If every business behaved like that, we'd be in a sorry state in this community."
Mr Lay said the initiative the Victorian community had shown in calling for the removal of pages which incited violence against Adrian Ernest Bayley, 41, the man accused of Jill Meagher’s rape and murder, and their subsequent removal, was promising.
Mr Lay described the pages as "offensive garbage".
”I just wonder when the users say enough is enough and this shouldn't be tolerated. That's when they'll (Facebook) see the light,” he said.
LISTEN: Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay speaks with Neil Mitchell:
Sorry cannot find any offensive Jill Meagher on facebook, only condolence pages. Have Neil or any 3AW crew witnessed these apparent disturbing pages?Will Shepherd Monday 8 October, 2012 - 11:44 AM
Facebook has never shown me any lude or rude images, in fact it is not acceptable to show a woman breastfeeding on facebook. I havent seen the Jill thing as I have no interest apart from the dreadful crime that happened.
The GAWKERS make such pages possible.Will Shepherd Monday 8 October, 2012 - 11:33 AM
I don't think the Victorian Commissioner understands that his jurisdiction resides within Victoria only and not anywhere else. So unless he can find a legitimate legal reason to ask for a particular page take down. Than he should contact the relevant authority, but I can tell you right here that it's a complete waste of time to be an Internet crusader.
Offensive? Being offended is relative, because it's offensive to you, or the vocal minority, doesn't mean it's going to be taken down or should be taken down.
Does this fellow actually think that Facebook is the only social site on the Internet reporting about this particular news story? Are you going to take down each and every page? People expressing there emotions about particular person?
We live in the 21st century. Just because this sort of banter is expressed by on internet. The same is being done within people's homes, work, school. People are simply expressing themselves.Anthony Monday 8 October, 2012 - 1:21 AM
ken said facebook makes alot of money ha ha ha so do you cash register ken all under the banner of safety LOLbarry Friday 5 October, 2012 - 8:18 PM
Sorry I just don't get it excuse me if I seem ignorant but haven't the public got the right to vent their anger Facebook is a form of communication we couldn't vent our anger against vicious crimes in the 60s,70s,80s etc now its available can you blame us this manic confessed to the crime this is a form of control we don't care about the sub justice laws if it was the middle east it would be off with his head enough is enough by the way the judges don't help the public why should we help them.poptart Friday 5 October, 2012 - 6:58 PM
It is rather stupid of FB to say no,When they clearly close group pages and Games because people complain.
Why they feel they are above the law i don't understand.
Because they send one message to the public expecting to be adhered too
Yet Ignore serious requests from the Police WTF Get Real Face Bookjo Friday 5 October, 2012 - 11:24 AM