- David Davis denies Greg Sassella dispute
- Plan B: 'We have no choice'
- The Leaning Tower of Stupidity
- 'I do hate this guy, he killed my husband': Sue Parsons
- 'Something needs to be done about this'
- 'You're responsible': Socialist Moreland councillor points the finger at Neil
- Germaine Greer has just kicked Bambi
- 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- poppitt on Plan B: 'We have no choice' If you have debt you pay interest. The more debt the more interest. Why is it people do not want to pay the debt? Do they ... more
- Lukew on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... The attack on that poor Muslim woman was appalling and would be roundly detested by most people. However, the Moreland ... more
- brendon on 'Something needs to be done about this' total moron !!!!! more
- Frances on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... HOW ON EARTH WAS SOMEONE LIKE SUE BOLTON EVEN ELECTED INTO BECOMING COUNCILLOR??? MAKING MASSIVE ACCUSATIONS OF PEOPLE ... more
- PJ on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Four things need to happen to solve the problem:1.The continued expansion and growing influence of ISIS/ISIL needs to be ... more
- IBARKER on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... She is a PERSON,That wants to divide us. "IN OUR SOCIETY.??? more
- IBARKER on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... This Sue Bolton is an absolute disgrace to the people that voted her in. more
- John on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Cr Bolton you are a disgrace. You are unbelievable and totally lacking in credability. more
- Colin Lacivita on 'Something needs to be done about this' If I saw this happen I would have grabbed the guy and pulled him off. This is utterly reckless. more
- AA on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... I no longer listen to 3AW. It is clear that the station and its commentators are doing nothing about promoting ... more
- andy on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... cr bolton is going to be in state/ federal,she sounds just like a politician more
- CHRIS WATTS on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... does not like it when he is accused of something but boy, can he hand it out.... more
- Ricta on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... White, anglo saxon people should be banned from protesting on racial issues.1 of the biggest problems in this world is ... more
- Barney on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Councillor Sue Bolton reminds me of the saying " if you cant be part of the solution ,don't be part of the problem . 3aw ... more
- Gloria on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Sue Bolton is a radical left wing Socialist, she is a trouble maker and was very strongly opposed to CCTV in Moreland. This ... more
- poppitt on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... The Burqa should be banned the in the same way as motor bike helmets etc., in banks, fuel stations, and when stopped by the ... more
- Jester4212 on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... This councillor is truly unbelievable. more
- acetrim on Melbourne-Geelong speed increase ... its always about slowing cars down but never about slowing trucks down bring the speed down to 80 ks more
- Ran on 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid' These Government job agencies don't find jobs. They get a cut when a jobseeker finds a job without their help. They're main ... more
- David R on 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid' "breaches human rights obligations"... Really , in what universe? Does that apply to all parts of the globe? Does that apply ... more
Ken Lay blasts Facebook for lack of social responsibility
Chief Commissioner Ken Lay has blasted social media behemoth Facebook for its lack of social responsibility, after Victoria’s top cop revealed on the Neil Mitchell program earlier this week that repeated requests for pages which could jeopardise the legal proceedings involving Jill Meagher’s alleged killer had been denied.
While six pages prejudicial pages were removed during the week, it now appears the administrators of each page may have voluntarily removed the pages – without Facebook’s intervention.
Mr Lay said in turn for Facebook having a community 1 billion users to make money from, they have the social responsibility to invest in the community.
”(Facebook) is sucking an enormous amount of money out of the community, (but) isn't prepared to invest in that community by helping it stay safe and acting in an appropriate manner,” he said.
Facebook posted a $1.2 billion revenue in July this year in its first earnings report since its IPO.
”For Facebook to say to me: ‘well sorry, give me a court order and we'll think about it’, it just frustrates me,” Mr Lay said.
"That's just nonsense to me. If every business behaved like that, we'd be in a sorry state in this community."
Mr Lay said the initiative the Victorian community had shown in calling for the removal of pages which incited violence against Adrian Ernest Bayley, 41, the man accused of Jill Meagher’s rape and murder, and their subsequent removal, was promising.
Mr Lay described the pages as "offensive garbage".
”I just wonder when the users say enough is enough and this shouldn't be tolerated. That's when they'll (Facebook) see the light,” he said.
LISTEN: Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay speaks with Neil Mitchell:
Sorry cannot find any offensive Jill Meagher on facebook, only condolence pages. Have Neil or any 3AW crew witnessed these apparent disturbing pages?Will Shepherd Monday 8 October, 2012 - 11:44 AM
Facebook has never shown me any lude or rude images, in fact it is not acceptable to show a woman breastfeeding on facebook. I havent seen the Jill thing as I have no interest apart from the dreadful crime that happened.
The GAWKERS make such pages possible.Will Shepherd Monday 8 October, 2012 - 11:33 AM
I don't think the Victorian Commissioner understands that his jurisdiction resides within Victoria only and not anywhere else. So unless he can find a legitimate legal reason to ask for a particular page take down. Than he should contact the relevant authority, but I can tell you right here that it's a complete waste of time to be an Internet crusader.
Offensive? Being offended is relative, because it's offensive to you, or the vocal minority, doesn't mean it's going to be taken down or should be taken down.
Does this fellow actually think that Facebook is the only social site on the Internet reporting about this particular news story? Are you going to take down each and every page? People expressing there emotions about particular person?
We live in the 21st century. Just because this sort of banter is expressed by on internet. The same is being done within people's homes, work, school. People are simply expressing themselves.Anthony Monday 8 October, 2012 - 1:21 AM
ken said facebook makes alot of money ha ha ha so do you cash register ken all under the banner of safety LOLbarry Friday 5 October, 2012 - 8:18 PM
Sorry I just don't get it excuse me if I seem ignorant but haven't the public got the right to vent their anger Facebook is a form of communication we couldn't vent our anger against vicious crimes in the 60s,70s,80s etc now its available can you blame us this manic confessed to the crime this is a form of control we don't care about the sub justice laws if it was the middle east it would be off with his head enough is enough by the way the judges don't help the public why should we help them.poptart Friday 5 October, 2012 - 6:58 PM
It is rather stupid of FB to say no,When they clearly close group pages and Games because people complain.
Why they feel they are above the law i don't understand.
Because they send one message to the public expecting to be adhered too
Yet Ignore serious requests from the Police WTF Get Real Face Bookjo Friday 5 October, 2012 - 11:24 AM