- David Davis denies Greg Sassella dispute
- Plan B: 'We have no choice'
- The Leaning Tower of Stupidity
- 'I do hate this guy, he killed my husband': Sue Parsons
- 'Something needs to be done about this'
- 'You're responsible': Socialist Moreland councillor points the finger at Neil
- Germaine Greer has just kicked Bambi
- 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- poppitt on Plan B: 'We have no choice' If you have debt you pay interest. The more debt the more interest. Why is it people do not want to pay the debt? Do they ... more
- Lukew on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... The attack on that poor Muslim woman was appalling and would be roundly detested by most people. However, the Moreland ... more
- brendon on 'Something needs to be done about this' total moron !!!!! more
- Frances on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... HOW ON EARTH WAS SOMEONE LIKE SUE BOLTON EVEN ELECTED INTO BECOMING COUNCILLOR??? MAKING MASSIVE ACCUSATIONS OF PEOPLE ... more
- PJ on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Four things need to happen to solve the problem:1.The continued expansion and growing influence of ISIS/ISIL needs to be ... more
- IBARKER on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... She is a PERSON,That wants to divide us. "IN OUR SOCIETY.??? more
- IBARKER on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... This Sue Bolton is an absolute disgrace to the people that voted her in. more
- John on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Cr Bolton you are a disgrace. You are unbelievable and totally lacking in credability. more
- Colin Lacivita on 'Something needs to be done about this' If I saw this happen I would have grabbed the guy and pulled him off. This is utterly reckless. more
- AA on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... I no longer listen to 3AW. It is clear that the station and its commentators are doing nothing about promoting ... more
- andy on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... cr bolton is going to be in state/ federal,she sounds just like a politician more
- CHRIS WATTS on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... does not like it when he is accused of something but boy, can he hand it out.... more
- Ricta on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... White, anglo saxon people should be banned from protesting on racial issues.1 of the biggest problems in this world is ... more
- Barney on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Councillor Sue Bolton reminds me of the saying " if you cant be part of the solution ,don't be part of the problem . 3aw ... more
- Gloria on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Sue Bolton is a radical left wing Socialist, she is a trouble maker and was very strongly opposed to CCTV in Moreland. This ... more
- poppitt on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... The Burqa should be banned the in the same way as motor bike helmets etc., in banks, fuel stations, and when stopped by the ... more
- Jester4212 on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... This councillor is truly unbelievable. more
- acetrim on Melbourne-Geelong speed increase ... its always about slowing cars down but never about slowing trucks down bring the speed down to 80 ks more
- Ran on 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid' These Government job agencies don't find jobs. They get a cut when a jobseeker finds a job without their help. They're main ... more
- David R on 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid' "breaches human rights obligations"... Really , in what universe? Does that apply to all parts of the globe? Does that apply ... more
Labor refuses to apologise for problem-laden desalination plant
The former state Labor government is refusing to apologise for the building of Victoria’s multi-billion dollar desalination plant despite the French boss of the project saying the project is too big for Melbourne’s water needs.
Speaking with Neil Mitchell, Opposition Spokesperson for Water and Former State Treasurer in the Bracks/Brumby Government John Lenders defended his party’s decision to undertake the problem-laden desalination project while in power.
The CEO company which was contracted by the government to build the plant told the Herald Sun the plant was too big to cater for Melbourne’s needs.
"The design was done to provide water to the full city of Melbourne in case of no rain during one year - which was not realistic," Suez Environment chief executive Jean-Louis Chaussade told News Limited.
When quizzed by Neil Mitchell as to whether that was the provision entered into between Suez Environment and the Labor Government, Mr Lenders denied the size of the desalination plant’s design was predicated on that basis.
"No, the design was done to guarantee Melbourne a third of its water from the ocean over a period of time," he said.
However on the question of regrets on undertaking the project, Mr Lenders conceded in hindsight had the government known Victoria would come out of a drought in 2010, they would have taken their time to build the desalination plant.
"I stand by the decision that in drought, if you take water out of the ocean, the water never runs out," he said.
"If I had've known that it was going to rain in December 2010, we would've done the same thing but over a longer period of time."
Mr Lenders said the plant would cost Victorian taxpayers $4-5 billion in today’s dollar terms.
"If water is drawn out of it, it costs more," he said.
Mr Lenders said the plan was for the plant to provide Melburnians with 150GL of water in drought.
However Mr Lenders deflected the cost of the project, saying the cost of the desal plant was equivalent to the amount of money the Baillieu government is taking out in dividends this year.
"There's also in here as much money is being paid in taxes and charges to the Baillieu government in dividends as is going to be paid for the desalination plant," he said.
Mr Lenders said the only reason the story appeared in today’s Herald Sun was because the Baillieu government had allowed for it to be published to embarrass the former Labor government.
"This story is in the paper today is only there because the Baillieu government wants it there," he said.
"His company has a secrecy agreement with government, it can't comment unless the Minister for Water lets it."
LISTEN: John Lenders MP speaks with Neil Mitchell:
peter from rosana thats the point the thomson dam is 76 percent full. WE HAD TIME , WE HAVE GOT 76 PERCENT OF WATER in the dam , if we hadnt built the desal plant we could have built it at any time.. IF WE had built cheap dams they had time to fill up !!!!!!!!!Steve Wednesday 26 December, 2012 - 10:19 AM
Why would Labor apologize for only this one big cock-up? Labor made hundreds of cock-ups that would require apologies including myki. Of course, the corruption, IT mismanagement, crooked contracting, funding of spatial lobbyists amongst other things under Land Victoria is legendary and unprecedented. So let's not expect apologies for these shameless Labor hacks.
Interestingly the same incompetent self-serving bureaucrats are still hanging around under One-term Ted and Minister Guy fawkes Planning.TF of LV Sunday 9 December, 2012 - 6:14 AM
After all the rain we have had this winter (record levels) the Thomson Dam is still only about 76% full. If we had built another ten dams there would not have been one extra drop of water for Melbourne. The desal was a great initiative and as Melbourne grows we will applaud the decision to build a big one.Peter from Rosanna Wednesday 5 December, 2012 - 3:53 PM
I was told a while ago that the original plan for the desal was to eventually supply water to a nuclear power plant...
Now it seems clear that it was purposly constructed 'too big' for this reason and nuclear power for Australia has been on the cards for a very long time!!!
Tacit agreements without the consent of the people, what a democracy!HV Wednesday 5 December, 2012 - 12:09 PM
It would have been cheaper to build a DAM and if it did'nt rain well then build the desal plant a small one to keep us going....marie Tuesday 4 December, 2012 - 8:15 PM
We should have had a small DESAL PLANT as soon as the drought took hold, and we wouldnt had water restrictions...steve Tuesday 4 December, 2012 - 8:10 PM