- So, we like, don't like these words
- 'The results are amazing'
- Andrews attacks 'desperate' government
- Calls to legalise marijuana
- ABC work-ethic 'shocking': Former manager
- 'It was something we didn't want to see'
- RSL apologises over Turban ban
- Australian Open in 16-year-old's sights
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Lukew on So, we like, don't like these words The Macquarie dictionary is all too quick to change the meaning of words. more
- Peggy on So, we like, don't like these words Unbelievable. Just because the PM stuffs up we have to change the meaning of what he said.Is this so Putin doesn't get angry ... more
- Paul on 'I don't deserve this' Solomons' Sword. You really think it happens that way. Your a joke.If your happy waiting 16mins for an Ambulance while ... more
- MikeO on 'I don't deserve this' Ambos need a pay rise but there many other people who need them too. I do not like people paid by the tax payer using their ... more
- Randal Woods on 'I don't deserve this' Solomon's Sword, you are obviously a moron. What ambo stands over patients, asking who they will vote for before they treat ... more
- Andrew on 'I don't deserve this' Advocating for patients is a professional trait and being outspoken is acceptable in that context. However, I'm not sure if ... more
- Solomons' Sword on 'I don't deserve this' Paramedic standing over a sick patient: "Who are you going to vote for" before deciding what treatment to administer...Some ... more
- Deffa on 'I don't deserve this' @ David, It is not the same deal. The potential labour offer is 12% over 2 years, Governmet offer is 12% over 3 yrs. There ... more
- Janelle on Photo: Cane toad in Melbourne? Looks like a 'Banjo Frog' to me. Found one in Greensborough. more
- Sam Maglitto on 'I don't deserve this' Over this Union lead Dispute, yes I think Ambos and Paramedics deserve a better deal, But using the Vehicles and their ... more
- Heather on 'I don't deserve this' Unbelievable!!! This story has just decided my vote! Thank you Louise for your service (ditto to all other paramedics) and ... more
- Anna Brown on 'I don't deserve this' Louise is an incredibly hard working & dedicated paramedic. Paramedics work long hours in what r often traumatic & ... more
- IBARKER on 'I don't deserve this' Wear the uniform ?? but not your political "VIEWS""" more
- Marsha on Photo: Cane toad in Melbourne? I had a look at some photos as I didn't think the feet looked like a cane toad. Thanks for the Pobblebonk name - feet are ... more
- Lukew on 'I don't deserve this' The ambulance service should not be political and I think the disciplinary action for using the uniform to promote a ... more
- David on 'I don't deserve this' They were offered the same deal they said Labor offered and they would accept.. This is another example of Union thugs ... more
- Peggy on 'I don't deserve this' If she wants to make it personal then she should protest. Even if in uniform she can protest but to represent her employer ... more
- The quiet 'medic on 'I don't deserve this' Not mentioned here is that wearing our uniform for union actions outside of work is covered under protected industrial ... more
- Mark Cornford on 'I don't deserve this' It's getting to the stage that the Ambo's will soon ask if you are Liberal or Labour and if you are not what they support ... more
- Kylie on 'I don't deserve this' This gives one some insight into the bullying culture ambos cop under Ambulance Victoria. They treat ambos like utter ... more
Littering fines to double to $600
Clean Up Australia Chairman and founder Ian Kiernan has praised the Baillieu government’s move to make litterbugs face a maximum fine of $600, but says all states need to join South Australia in creating deposit legislation.
Speaking with Neil Mitchell, Mr Kiernan said responsible people shouldn’t have to continue paying for the irresponsible actions of litterers.
"The responsible citizens who properly dispose of waste and look to recycling, they are subsidising the people who don't give a damn,” he said.
”It comes at a cost if rubbish is dropped in public places.”
HAVE YOUR SAY: Where are the worst areas in Melbourne affected by littering? Comment below
Environment Minister Ryan Smith said the doubling of littering fines were meant as a deterrent, and not intended as a revenue raiser.
The Environmental Protection Authority is also launching a blitz on construction, demolition and bin hire companies.
Mr Kiernan said deposit legislation being implemented nationally would make for better resource and energy management.
”The embodied energy to make an aluminum can from new will make you sell seven aluminum cans out of recycled material,” he said.
"We know that the recovery rates on beverage containers in most states and territories in 35 per cent.
”You go to South Australia where they've had deposit legislation for nearly 30 years, their rates of recovery are 87 per cent.”
Last month, former Premier Jeff Kennett called for Victorians to undertake a pride campaign to better present our state.
LISTEN: Chairman and founder of Clean Up Australian, Ian Kiernan, speaks with Neil Mitchell: