- 'Blame the tradie, not contestants'
- Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of welfare'
- Classic or crazy? Cazaly re-made
- Australia in for 'long haul' against ISIS
- George the Goldfish saved with surgery
- 'Players leave': Gillon gives it straight to Bombers caller
- Horrified children find pet dogs mauled in backyard
- 'Drugs war unwinnable, time to legalise'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
- Jane on Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of ... Well this is one thing i agree with. Tired of tip-toeing on this issue. There are not hundreds of Muslims that support ... more
- Linda on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Christine Milne is as big a threat to our national security as groups like ISIS. Even the tiniest chink in our political ... more
- GIW on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Yes Mylene, that is the aim of Islam to take over the world. As a caller on the Sunday Morning show yesterdays said, there ... more
- mylene on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Don't worry in a couple of years we'll be trading with ISIS and the Taliban and anyone who mentions the war will be shouted ... more
- Jeff on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... As parents of young kids i cannot believe Essendon has put James Hird back in as coach, Hird should have nothing to do with ... more
- Stephen on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... Doesn't know a lot really does he! Including if the Bombers took anything illeagal!AFL Another Fool Leader. more
- Diane on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... How silly to have a coaches meeting when there are finals on and other coaches are having their reviews. more
- Jimbob on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... I wonder what the risk factor is for those other clubs attempting to poach essendong starts caught in this. If the worst ... more
- Mel on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Our neighbours also have a fox terrier & it's one of the most aggressive & unsocialised dogs I have seen! Has prevented us ... more
- Wayne on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... to wendy who wrote "Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this ... more
- Sam Maglitto on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... I heard this report on the radio this afternoon and being a Dog Lover I was horrified to think there are other owners who ... more
- wendy on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this would get peoples ... more
- Stephanie on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Such a tragedy for all involved. more
- Robert on 'PM's popularity between asbestos and ... But when he opposes public transport, his ratings suffer. His being so good at opposing things, particularly public ... more
- jgl Melb on 'If Ashby is right, Pyne should quit' Christopher Pyne;Verbal gymnast extraordinaire...Putting it politely more
- Colin Lacivita on Phone scam targets grieving widow I always get emails promising me money. I don't care who they are I always send a email back warning that their contact ... more
- David R on Council backs down over fees Typical heartless unthinking council bureaucrats. And its not the Councillors its the people manning the front desk or the ... more
- mike on Labor's tough new stance against 'evil' So trafficking drugs away from a school is less illegal?And why drug busses? Target pubs/clubs! I hear more and more people ... more
Mal Brough is Tony Abbott's Problem
I reckon we are all sighing with frustration again. The Peter Slipper case is back and the sleaze accusations are back.
The Government is accusing the Opposition of setting it all up. A lot of nonsense is being spoken and we all feel...here we go again.
So this is what needs to happen, this is what Tony Abbott must do, and it is his problem.
I don’t know if his party rules allow this, but it is what should happen:
The court has found that former minister Mal Brough was in the middle of setting up James Ashby the staffer to lay complaints of sexual harassment against Slipper for political mileage to help the liberal national coalition.
Now, I don't know if it is right. There is talk of an appeal but Tony Abbott needs to act regardless.
This doesn't save Peter Slipper.
He resigned because of some of the sleazy and disgusting comments he made about women in his text messages.
They still stand, he did that and was right to resign. But, he is not found to have sexually harassed Ashby and to an extent he is vindicated.
But he is also exposed as a grubby sort of bloke who should not be speaker.
But, Tony Abbott’s problem: Mal Brough is a key man.
Was he in it? Well, Abbott should find out. He should appoint party elders, whoever to investigate it and report whether Mal Brough acted improperly.
Whether he did set this up as a dirty political trick.
If he did, he should lose pre-selection. If he didn’t, get on with it.
This is a problem for Abbott and as I say I don’t know party rules allow it. But he should be seen leading strongly on this, he has gone after Julia Gillard for her credibility and integrity.
Now he faces a test himself. He must show that Brough has clean hands or dump him. Tony Abbott must lead here and lead strongly.
I agree with Jodie. The rule of law is the foundation of civilised society yet absurd denials of natural justice have been increasing for decades. Guilty by accusation, condemned on anecdotal evidence, Excessive discrepancy in sentences, paid-for judgements, police brutality, and rape in jail, for example.
The spawn of different laws for different social groups is proliferating yet we should be insisting upon one law for all. Respect democracy. Unity and equality. Lucky to be Australian!jim morris Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 10:02 PM
Dear Neil, wouldnâ??t it be a good idea to have a public inquiry into these matters. To clear the air.
Was there an attempt to undermine an elected government by using James Ashby_sexual harassment case as a tool to discredit Peter Slipper in the eyes of the electorate of Fisher? Who is paying James Ashby_legal costs? Why did certain members of the opposition deny specific knowledge of the Peter Slipper allegations, when it appears they had prior knowledge.
Mal Brough has refused to adequately answer any questions regarding his involvement with James Ashby.
Justice Steven Rares judgment is not in dispute, and Mal Brough needs to come clean on his involvement as he may be a future minister of the next government.
If Mal Brough is innocent of any misconduct as he claims, then he has nothing to hide.
In the interests of transparency and accountability, and to restore confidence in democracy for the citizens of Australia, and in the Parliament of Australia.
I strongly urge citizens of Australia to support a Public Inquiry into this matter.Harvey Saturday 15 December, 2012 - 6:48 PM
Imagine the response from Mitchell if a judge found one of the Gillard government to be involved in a smear campaign, accusing someone falsely of sexual harassment? He would go feral, he has been predicting the PM's demise for over 2 years now, where as he has better getting stronger & stronger. He would not be softly requesting her response more like her resignation. His hatred & bullying of our first female PM is a disgrace & highlights his obvious bias which no one is defending or denying.Marco Friday 14 December, 2012 - 10:38 AM
Since when did Australian courts start passing judgement on citizen that arenâ??t party to the case?Clayton Friday 14 December, 2012 - 10:30 AM
The Judge has made a ruling. Ashby, News Limited Journalist, Lawyer and Mal Brough conspired to bring down a government. They weren't even smart enough to make sure they weren't caught. Who will be paying for the Appeal? I can hazard a guess.Lyne Friday 14 December, 2012 - 9:56 AM
Neal , phony tony and his Cronys! Are all walkin around with" egg on there face" you are right Neal ! They should clear the deck!!!!! Cheers paulPaul boncristiano Thursday 13 December, 2012 - 8:24 PM