- David Davis denies Greg Sassella dispute
- Plan B: 'We have no choice'
- The Leaning Tower of Stupidity
- 'I do hate this guy, he killed my husband': Sue Parsons
- 'Something needs to be done about this'
- 'You're responsible': Socialist Moreland councillor points the finger at Neil
- Germaine Greer has just kicked Bambi
- 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- poppitt on Plan B: 'We have no choice' If you have debt you pay interest. The more debt the more interest. Why is it people do not want to pay the debt? Do they ... more
- Lukew on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... The attack on that poor Muslim woman was appalling and would be roundly detested by most people. However, the Moreland ... more
- brendon on 'Something needs to be done about this' total moron !!!!! more
- Frances on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... HOW ON EARTH WAS SOMEONE LIKE SUE BOLTON EVEN ELECTED INTO BECOMING COUNCILLOR??? MAKING MASSIVE ACCUSATIONS OF PEOPLE ... more
- PJ on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Four things need to happen to solve the problem:1.The continued expansion and growing influence of ISIS/ISIL needs to be ... more
- IBARKER on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... She is a PERSON,That wants to divide us. "IN OUR SOCIETY.??? more
- IBARKER on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... This Sue Bolton is an absolute disgrace to the people that voted her in. more
- John on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Cr Bolton you are a disgrace. You are unbelievable and totally lacking in credability. more
- Colin Lacivita on 'Something needs to be done about this' If I saw this happen I would have grabbed the guy and pulled him off. This is utterly reckless. more
- AA on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... I no longer listen to 3AW. It is clear that the station and its commentators are doing nothing about promoting ... more
- andy on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... cr bolton is going to be in state/ federal,she sounds just like a politician more
- CHRIS WATTS on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... does not like it when he is accused of something but boy, can he hand it out.... more
- Ricta on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... White, anglo saxon people should be banned from protesting on racial issues.1 of the biggest problems in this world is ... more
- Barney on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Councillor Sue Bolton reminds me of the saying " if you cant be part of the solution ,don't be part of the problem . 3aw ... more
- Gloria on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Sue Bolton is a radical left wing Socialist, she is a trouble maker and was very strongly opposed to CCTV in Moreland. This ... more
- poppitt on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... The Burqa should be banned the in the same way as motor bike helmets etc., in banks, fuel stations, and when stopped by the ... more
- Jester4212 on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... This councillor is truly unbelievable. more
- acetrim on Melbourne-Geelong speed increase ... its always about slowing cars down but never about slowing trucks down bring the speed down to 80 ks more
- Ran on 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid' These Government job agencies don't find jobs. They get a cut when a jobseeker finds a job without their help. They're main ... more
- David R on 'Miss a meeting, don't get paid' "breaches human rights obligations"... Really , in what universe? Does that apply to all parts of the globe? Does that apply ... more
Mal Brough is Tony Abbott's Problem
I reckon we are all sighing with frustration again. The Peter Slipper case is back and the sleaze accusations are back.
The Government is accusing the Opposition of setting it all up. A lot of nonsense is being spoken and we all feel...here we go again.
So this is what needs to happen, this is what Tony Abbott must do, and it is his problem.
I don’t know if his party rules allow this, but it is what should happen:
The court has found that former minister Mal Brough was in the middle of setting up James Ashby the staffer to lay complaints of sexual harassment against Slipper for political mileage to help the liberal national coalition.
Now, I don't know if it is right. There is talk of an appeal but Tony Abbott needs to act regardless.
This doesn't save Peter Slipper.
He resigned because of some of the sleazy and disgusting comments he made about women in his text messages.
They still stand, he did that and was right to resign. But, he is not found to have sexually harassed Ashby and to an extent he is vindicated.
But he is also exposed as a grubby sort of bloke who should not be speaker.
But, Tony Abbott’s problem: Mal Brough is a key man.
Was he in it? Well, Abbott should find out. He should appoint party elders, whoever to investigate it and report whether Mal Brough acted improperly.
Whether he did set this up as a dirty political trick.
If he did, he should lose pre-selection. If he didn’t, get on with it.
This is a problem for Abbott and as I say I don’t know party rules allow it. But he should be seen leading strongly on this, he has gone after Julia Gillard for her credibility and integrity.
Now he faces a test himself. He must show that Brough has clean hands or dump him. Tony Abbott must lead here and lead strongly.
I agree with Jodie. The rule of law is the foundation of civilised society yet absurd denials of natural justice have been increasing for decades. Guilty by accusation, condemned on anecdotal evidence, Excessive discrepancy in sentences, paid-for judgements, police brutality, and rape in jail, for example.
The spawn of different laws for different social groups is proliferating yet we should be insisting upon one law for all. Respect democracy. Unity and equality. Lucky to be Australian!jim morris Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 10:02 PM
Dear Neil, wouldnâ??t it be a good idea to have a public inquiry into these matters. To clear the air.
Was there an attempt to undermine an elected government by using James Ashby_sexual harassment case as a tool to discredit Peter Slipper in the eyes of the electorate of Fisher? Who is paying James Ashby_legal costs? Why did certain members of the opposition deny specific knowledge of the Peter Slipper allegations, when it appears they had prior knowledge.
Mal Brough has refused to adequately answer any questions regarding his involvement with James Ashby.
Justice Steven Rares judgment is not in dispute, and Mal Brough needs to come clean on his involvement as he may be a future minister of the next government.
If Mal Brough is innocent of any misconduct as he claims, then he has nothing to hide.
In the interests of transparency and accountability, and to restore confidence in democracy for the citizens of Australia, and in the Parliament of Australia.
I strongly urge citizens of Australia to support a Public Inquiry into this matter.Harvey Saturday 15 December, 2012 - 6:48 PM
Imagine the response from Mitchell if a judge found one of the Gillard government to be involved in a smear campaign, accusing someone falsely of sexual harassment? He would go feral, he has been predicting the PM's demise for over 2 years now, where as he has better getting stronger & stronger. He would not be softly requesting her response more like her resignation. His hatred & bullying of our first female PM is a disgrace & highlights his obvious bias which no one is defending or denying.Marco Friday 14 December, 2012 - 10:38 AM
Since when did Australian courts start passing judgement on citizen that arenâ??t party to the case?Clayton Friday 14 December, 2012 - 10:30 AM
The Judge has made a ruling. Ashby, News Limited Journalist, Lawyer and Mal Brough conspired to bring down a government. They weren't even smart enough to make sure they weren't caught. Who will be paying for the Appeal? I can hazard a guess.Lyne Friday 14 December, 2012 - 9:56 AM
Neal , phony tony and his Cronys! Are all walkin around with" egg on there face" you are right Neal ! They should clear the deck!!!!! Cheers paulPaul boncristiano Thursday 13 December, 2012 - 8:24 PM