- ASADA interviews 'stressful' for Essendon players: Demetriou
- Napthine announces taskfore to deal with Ford job losses
- Neil Mitchell reflects on the late Hazel Hawke
- Neil Mitchell and Jeff Kennett argue penalty rates
- Franklin hung out to dry: Kennett
- Suspend Buddy Franklin for a month: Neil Mitchell
- EXCLUSIVE: Ford is pulling out of Australia
- The King Kong stunt that terrified Neil Mitchell
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Kelly on Leaked memo: Ticket inspector ... Neil is getting TRAIN ticket inspectors CONFUSED with YARRA tram ticket inspectors.Different kettle of fish Neil! more
- Gazza on Neil Mitchell and Jeff Kennett argue ... Why should workers accept less so the owners can make more money.its the liberal way ...... more
- bc on Napthine announces taskfore to deal ... Napthine is only going down to geelong to have his photo taken when the doors close you will see and hear from nobody more
- fay silk on Franklin hung out to dry: Kennett My heroes are the workers at Ford or the CFMEU not this idiot. Football is boring. more
- fay silk on Neil Mitchell and Jeff Kennett argue ... Jeff gets $16,000 a week to be in charge of Beyond Blue. What would that globalist operative know about penalty rates. As ... more
- fay silk on Napthine announces taskfore to deal ... This is Agenda 21 the deliberate de industrialization of the west. It was planned back at the Rio earth summit. Ford will go ... more
- fay silk on Father demands answers after five year ... Why use a photo of an American bus. Lazy reporting. Glad the little kid is ok. more
- Harry Brown on Napthine announces taskfore to deal ... I have to pay $50k pa to state gov in Payroll Tax for the privilege of employing 15 people.You rip me off and hand out cash ... more
- JamesD on Neil Mitchell reflects on the late ... Good tribute from N Mitchell. Hazel had a lot to put up with - a very difficult man to stay with for that long. more
- MaryEmelda on Married Catholic priest excommunicated ... He is not Priest or Father he is Mr. Lee, and he should not mess with Church Docrime. If he wanted to get married, he should ... more
- Gloria on Neil Mitchell reflects on the late ... I hated (and still hate) Bob Hawke for the way he treated this wonderful lady but was angry with Hazel for sticking with him ... more
- Kirky on EXCLUSIVE: Ford is pulling out of ... PJ said it all and he should be commended. His picture of the state of this country is what we the real people can notice ... more
- unreal choices on EXCLUSIVE: Ford is pulling out of ... Gen x again..again..and again, always buying/promoting non- Australian productstccch tcchGrandma could have sat for half an ... more
- Phil on Surely they can't be serious Hello Neil,with everything going on with Ford and manufacturing will this mean this state government will rethink the new ... more
- Jillian on Suspend Buddy Franklin for a month: ... It's only human to find that you have made a quote only to regret it and would like to take it all back later...If Buddy was ... more
- Kate on EXCLUSIVE: Ford is pulling out of ... As far as manufacturing goes you only have to go into one of the big chain stores to see that there is a problem. Went into ... more
- Gayle M on EXCLUSIVE: Ford is pulling out of ... Nobody in the real world is surprised by what has happened here. Unfortunately Australia cannot afford to keep propping up ... more
- Stephen on EXCLUSIVE: Ford is pulling out of ... Mylene the reason this car company is closing is due to greedy union driven conditions and pay claims. Making a Ford made ... more
- Jillian on EXCLUSIVE: Ford is pulling out of ... The Footy Show sponsored by the great Nissan, Australian Tennis Open sponsored by our friends at Kia, Toyota proud sponsors ... more
- Jillian on Neil Mitchell reflects on the late ... What a beautiful priceless woman, who well could have had all the special qualities of the first successful woman ... more
Mal Brough is Tony Abbott's Problem
I reckon we are all sighing with frustration again. The Peter Slipper case is back and the sleaze accusations are back.
The Government is accusing the Opposition of setting it all up. A lot of nonsense is being spoken and we all feel...here we go again.
So this is what needs to happen, this is what Tony Abbott must do, and it is his problem.
I don’t know if his party rules allow this, but it is what should happen:
The court has found that former minister Mal Brough was in the middle of setting up James Ashby the staffer to lay complaints of sexual harassment against Slipper for political mileage to help the liberal national coalition.
Now, I don't know if it is right. There is talk of an appeal but Tony Abbott needs to act regardless.
This doesn't save Peter Slipper.
He resigned because of some of the sleazy and disgusting comments he made about women in his text messages.
They still stand, he did that and was right to resign. But, he is not found to have sexually harassed Ashby and to an extent he is vindicated.
But he is also exposed as a grubby sort of bloke who should not be speaker.
But, Tony Abbott’s problem: Mal Brough is a key man.
Was he in it? Well, Abbott should find out. He should appoint party elders, whoever to investigate it and report whether Mal Brough acted improperly.
Whether he did set this up as a dirty political trick.
If he did, he should lose pre-selection. If he didn’t, get on with it.
This is a problem for Abbott and as I say I don’t know party rules allow it. But he should be seen leading strongly on this, he has gone after Julia Gillard for her credibility and integrity.
Now he faces a test himself. He must show that Brough has clean hands or dump him. Tony Abbott must lead here and lead strongly.
I agree with Jodie. The rule of law is the foundation of civilised society yet absurd denials of natural justice have been increasing for decades. Guilty by accusation, condemned on anecdotal evidence, Excessive discrepancy in sentences, paid-for judgements, police brutality, and rape in jail, for example.
The spawn of different laws for different social groups is proliferating yet we should be insisting upon one law for all. Respect democracy. Unity and equality. Lucky to be Australian!jim morris Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 10:02 PM
Dear Neil, wouldnâ??t it be a good idea to have a public inquiry into these matters. To clear the air.
Was there an attempt to undermine an elected government by using James Ashby_sexual harassment case as a tool to discredit Peter Slipper in the eyes of the electorate of Fisher? Who is paying James Ashby_legal costs? Why did certain members of the opposition deny specific knowledge of the Peter Slipper allegations, when it appears they had prior knowledge.
Mal Brough has refused to adequately answer any questions regarding his involvement with James Ashby.
Justice Steven Rares judgment is not in dispute, and Mal Brough needs to come clean on his involvement as he may be a future minister of the next government.
If Mal Brough is innocent of any misconduct as he claims, then he has nothing to hide.
In the interests of transparency and accountability, and to restore confidence in democracy for the citizens of Australia, and in the Parliament of Australia.
I strongly urge citizens of Australia to support a Public Inquiry into this matter.Harvey Saturday 15 December, 2012 - 6:48 PM
Imagine the response from Mitchell if a judge found one of the Gillard government to be involved in a smear campaign, accusing someone falsely of sexual harassment? He would go feral, he has been predicting the PM's demise for over 2 years now, where as he has better getting stronger & stronger. He would not be softly requesting her response more like her resignation. His hatred & bullying of our first female PM is a disgrace & highlights his obvious bias which no one is defending or denying.Marco Friday 14 December, 2012 - 10:38 AM
Since when did Australian courts start passing judgement on citizen that arenâ??t party to the case?Clayton Friday 14 December, 2012 - 10:30 AM
The Judge has made a ruling. Ashby, News Limited Journalist, Lawyer and Mal Brough conspired to bring down a government. They weren't even smart enough to make sure they weren't caught. Who will be paying for the Appeal? I can hazard a guess.Lyne Friday 14 December, 2012 - 9:56 AM
Neal , phony tony and his Cronys! Are all walkin around with" egg on there face" you are right Neal ! They should clear the deck!!!!! Cheers paulPaul boncristiano Thursday 13 December, 2012 - 8:24 PM