- What NBN means for the Average Joe
- Triple Zero for all sorts of emergencies
- NBN BS must stop: Turnbull
- 'Who's accountable for this mess?'
- Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake Santa video
- Boy suspended for kissing girl's hand
- 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou a liar'
- Labor deal with Pies is 'ridiculous'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Damian on Red-Light debacle: 'Vicroads have ... I was issued a ticket for red light on Warrigal and North Road on 26 September 2013. Reading through your columns I notice ... more
- senseless on 'Today is a day for victory': ... Unvelievable, buy back solarium beds at the peoples expense to get them off the streets - then mandate the smart meter ... more
- Peggy on Father wants dog put down after attack @smilingjack, you really hate dogs don't you.Dogs are animals and not babysitters, so when a child who is left alone with a ... more
- Gloria on Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake ... Two young people rattling tin for donations to Greenpeace outside Preston Market on Saturday. I asked them if they actually ... more
- PJ on NBN BS must stop: Turnbull Labors NBN- omitted from the normal audit process for Government policy (oh ooh hello)- only 3 years old and 2 years behind- ... more
- smilingjack on Father wants dog put down after attack its amazing how all cartoon dogs and dogs in adas magically have big smiles and no teeth. all dogs are killers. full stop. ... more
- Mark on NBN BS must stop: Turnbull Tim Holding destroyed Victoria's water policies and walked away with no consequences more
- Bostwick on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Without defending James Hird's part in all of this, it seems to me that all through this process the AFL has wanted to have ... more
- Nat on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... Peggy, Its not that cyclists don't want to be identified, ask to see my ID any day of the week on the bike and I'll pass it ... more
- Steve on Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake ... Greepeace; a bunch of losers I bet they won't interfere with Russian ships again>... more
- David T. on Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake ... What else but offensive promotional stunts, can we expect from a bunch of leftist idiots. more
- Solomons' Sword on Analogue TV switch-off 999 channels and still nothing worth watching! more
- CHRIS WATTS on NBN BS must stop: Turnbull i thought turnbulls' boss said that they would not be blaming previous governments for anything, pity he has forgotten what ... more
- bee on 'Who's accountable for this mess?' I am sick and tired of Governments (Labour Especially) getting the country into so much debt and the taxpayers having to ... more
- Christine on Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake ... So ....my impression of this video is this: Greenpeace is holding Santa hostage and forcing him at gunpoint to spew their ... more
- mandy on Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake ... I think its how you perceive it I mean advertising agencies have churned out so many offensive ads over the years on certain ... more
- Samuel J on 'Who's accountable for this mess?' There should be a legal mechanism where politicians such as Rudd and Gillard who have seriously stuffed up our country ... more
- David T. on Greenpeace Grinches: 'Outrageous' fake ... Poor old "Greenpeace". They are finding it increasingly difficult to appear relevant in the "Save The World" movement. Now, ... more
- Aaron on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl There is a difference between reasonable force and excessive force. Head slamming someone into the ground is in my view ... more
- me on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... The cyclist should be arrested and charged with assault and battery and the woman should probably attend traffic school to ... more
Melbourne tanking allegations 'sickening'
This is about emotion. I am a Melbourne supporter and I feel a bit sick this morning because the evidence is growing that there was an official deliberate strategy not to win games, to pick up draft picks.
Now, I like most people had assumed there was a stage when they didn’t care if they lost because it meant better picks.
LISTEN BELOW: Former Melbourne Football Club President Paul Gardner
But I wouldn’t have thought there was a deliberate strategy, orchestrated, discussed and organised. If there was, and it is still an allegation, it disgusts me. It disappoints me. It makes me feel dirty.
Former Melb FC Pres says he walked out in the middle of games because his team was tanking. Incredible admission really. @3aw693— Justin Smith (@JustinSmith3AW) October 30, 2012
Caroline Wilson has a lot of detail in The Age today about meetings: Who was there and what was said. If she is right, people need to be punished and the system needs to change.
I have supported this club all my life and since 1964 they haven't had a premiership. Two grand final appearances is all they have in that time. If they worked to throw games, it undermines everything I have believed in for the club. It makes my support a joke and yours.
People invest emotion in these teams. People cry if they lose. People hand over their $100 membership and actually care. They defend their club and they take a ribbing and they show loyalty, bloody loyalty for heaven’s sake.
And if a club goes out to lose it breaks that trust, it insults every supporter and it takes their money under false pretenses.
Talking of money, people actually bet on games. If they have been thrown, that has huge legal implications.
But it is the emotional investment I care about here. This is a breach of trust by Melbourne if it happened, a massive breach of faith with supporters who have stayed around while we got thrashed.
At least on the basis we had hope, we had a chance and we were trying.
It disgusts me.
What’s left in sport? Cycling has been destroyed the the drug culture. Cricket, not Australia but others, match fixing. Racing, heaven knows what is going on there. In soccer, you even have idiots taking a dive.
And now we have football with serious accusations of playing to lose.
We tell kids sport is healthy. It breeds self respect and a sense of responsibility and accountability. We want our kids to get into sport because it builds a work ethic and a sense of team.
Not any more.
They might be better off playing video games. At least everybody is fair dinkum then.
LISTEN: Former Melbourne Football Club President Paul Gardner
TANKING: The AFL investigation into the Demons tanking scandal is being ramped up. The Age report several key witnesses have come forward with fresh evidence including repeated versions of at least one meeting in 2009.
I want to see Talking Footy Show back on now and hear Caroline Wilson and Garry Lyon debate this out about The Melbourne Football Club tanking. Considering there is nothing on television worth watching lately.Jillian Thursday 1 November, 2012 - 11:05 AM
Charge any individual involved heavily, never allow them to work in the AFL industry again, taking draft picks wouldn't be the right things as mark Neeld and current players had nothing to do with this, and are struggling enough as it is. I'm a Melbourne supporter and all i want is to see anyone who thinks tanking is acceptable out of the AFL without destroying the MFC in the processBen Thursday 1 November, 2012 - 9:50 AM
Niel, you feel "sick" because of the actions of a bunch of meathead footballers? You really need to get a life. There's alot more entertaining and worthwhile ways of spending your time than watching this midnless "sport".Peter Hillster Thursday 1 November, 2012 - 6:24 AM
as a demon member for years I am gutted....I know players were played out of their positions ( once the year was over for them)..but many many clubs do this,. Listen to the likes of Eddie who say no to punishment COS like lots of clubs this is/was common practice. Sort this out now Mr AFL...I have just renewed my MFC membership for 2013 and want to watch and support AFL footy !!!!!TB Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 9:44 PM
im sick of people sooking about cheating in sport.all elite sportsman and elite clubs cheat whenever they think they can get away with it.let them cheat,take drugs or whatever they need to do to compete at the highest leve.stop whinging and let the sportsman get on with it,i want to watch...garry Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 7:41 PM
Take the draft picks off them for the next two 2 yrs and give those picks to the teams that they had beaten or drew with. There is no place in the AFL for cheatsBen Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 2:56 PM