- Shooting star Laetisha Scanlan with Neil Mitchell
- Newsreader gaff: Who am I again?
- Neil Mitchell concedes defeat on speed camera questions
- WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full responsibility for 'dirty mess'
- 'He was left lying in a pool of blood'
- Work for the dole 'unfair' on jobseekers
- Woman disgusted over 'death' plate
- Man dealt outrageous parking fee
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Steve on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... How can this man expect anybody to believe such rubbish? Recording a private conversation is legal as long as it is not ... more
- Joe Garra on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Why did they destroy someone else's property?? more
- Eric on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... What a beat up,who cares it is of no importance in the running of the State. Just another example of Neil Mitchell making a ... more
- poppitt on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... It appears Mr Andrews likes to call other politicians out for lying, cheating, stealing, but when it comes to members of his ... more
- Vallipuram on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... so it is ok to vandalise someone elses property As leader of opposition you accept responsibility for vandalism of property ... more
- Dallas on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Peter dalglish forget about tying to find the State Labor website on-line the way you spell you'll end up at a maternity ... more
- Stephen on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Oh and Mr Andrews the property was not yours to destroy!! So theft and criminal damage! The potential charges grow!! more
- Marko on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I'd like to know why no police charges have been laid against Daniel Andrews, Kosmos Samaras, etc? When I was a cop it was ... more
- Bruce on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Mr Andrews still did not take responsibility!He repeatedly stated "It is my responsibility to get to the bottom of it"He ... more
- Bob on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Dead man walking, Mr Andrews. You expect us to believe that all those around you knew about the tape, what was on it, copied ... more
- Kate on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Interesting comment he makes in the second half of the tape at 8.07 - "I first heard this and I am not entirely sure I have ... more
- Fred on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Someone needs to teach Andrews the definition of theft. Only then will he understand what a 'thief' is. Mealy mouthed ... more
- bc on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... poor baby huey andrews the carnival is over .One thing there are grubs on all sides grubby guy is after napthines job.Fancy ... more
- Peter dalglish on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Daniels Andrews connected with unions federal opposition leader connected with unions, see a pattern happening here.Now to ... more
- Big Al on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I have no faith or respect for any of our politicians. They are all devious and incompetent. Most people I speak to are ... more
- Colin Lacivita on Woman disgusted over 'death' plate This is unforgivable. The driver of this vehicle should be exposed so we can see who he really is. He should not be allowed ... more
- IBARKER on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Poppitt ?? Where are you for out thou. more
- Liz on Work for the dole 'unfair' on jobseekers If they stop sending all our jobs overseas. There would be plenty avail.If they leave call centre jobs in Australia there ... more
- poppitt on Work for the dole 'unfair' on jobseekers I see the unemployed every day where I work. They can afford to work, they can afford to look clean and respectable. The ... more
- colin on Woman disgusted over 'death' plate What a thoughtful reply Sinbad. Who is Amanda?Alzheimer's already? Hmmm. more
Melbourne tanking allegations 'sickening'
This is about emotion. I am a Melbourne supporter and I feel a bit sick this morning because the evidence is growing that there was an official deliberate strategy not to win games, to pick up draft picks.
Now, I like most people had assumed there was a stage when they didn’t care if they lost because it meant better picks.
LISTEN BELOW: Former Melbourne Football Club President Paul Gardner
But I wouldn’t have thought there was a deliberate strategy, orchestrated, discussed and organised. If there was, and it is still an allegation, it disgusts me. It disappoints me. It makes me feel dirty.
Former Melb FC Pres says he walked out in the middle of games because his team was tanking. Incredible admission really. @3aw693— Justin Smith (@JustinSmith3AW) October 30, 2012
Caroline Wilson has a lot of detail in The Age today about meetings: Who was there and what was said. If she is right, people need to be punished and the system needs to change.
I have supported this club all my life and since 1964 they haven't had a premiership. Two grand final appearances is all they have in that time. If they worked to throw games, it undermines everything I have believed in for the club. It makes my support a joke and yours.
People invest emotion in these teams. People cry if they lose. People hand over their $100 membership and actually care. They defend their club and they take a ribbing and they show loyalty, bloody loyalty for heaven’s sake.
And if a club goes out to lose it breaks that trust, it insults every supporter and it takes their money under false pretenses.
Talking of money, people actually bet on games. If they have been thrown, that has huge legal implications.
But it is the emotional investment I care about here. This is a breach of trust by Melbourne if it happened, a massive breach of faith with supporters who have stayed around while we got thrashed.
At least on the basis we had hope, we had a chance and we were trying.
It disgusts me.
What’s left in sport? Cycling has been destroyed the the drug culture. Cricket, not Australia but others, match fixing. Racing, heaven knows what is going on there. In soccer, you even have idiots taking a dive.
And now we have football with serious accusations of playing to lose.
We tell kids sport is healthy. It breeds self respect and a sense of responsibility and accountability. We want our kids to get into sport because it builds a work ethic and a sense of team.
Not any more.
They might be better off playing video games. At least everybody is fair dinkum then.
LISTEN: Former Melbourne Football Club President Paul Gardner
TANKING: The AFL investigation into the Demons tanking scandal is being ramped up. The Age report several key witnesses have come forward with fresh evidence including repeated versions of at least one meeting in 2009.
I want to see Talking Footy Show back on now and hear Caroline Wilson and Garry Lyon debate this out about The Melbourne Football Club tanking. Considering there is nothing on television worth watching lately.Jillian Thursday 1 November, 2012 - 11:05 AM
Charge any individual involved heavily, never allow them to work in the AFL industry again, taking draft picks wouldn't be the right things as mark Neeld and current players had nothing to do with this, and are struggling enough as it is. I'm a Melbourne supporter and all i want is to see anyone who thinks tanking is acceptable out of the AFL without destroying the MFC in the processBen Thursday 1 November, 2012 - 9:50 AM
Niel, you feel "sick" because of the actions of a bunch of meathead footballers? You really need to get a life. There's alot more entertaining and worthwhile ways of spending your time than watching this midnless "sport".Peter Hillster Thursday 1 November, 2012 - 6:24 AM
as a demon member for years I am gutted....I know players were played out of their positions ( once the year was over for them)..but many many clubs do this,. Listen to the likes of Eddie who say no to punishment COS like lots of clubs this is/was common practice. Sort this out now Mr AFL...I have just renewed my MFC membership for 2013 and want to watch and support AFL footy !!!!!TB Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 9:44 PM
im sick of people sooking about cheating in sport.all elite sportsman and elite clubs cheat whenever they think they can get away with it.let them cheat,take drugs or whatever they need to do to compete at the highest leve.stop whinging and let the sportsman get on with it,i want to watch...garry Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 7:41 PM
Take the draft picks off them for the next two 2 yrs and give those picks to the teams that they had beaten or drew with. There is no place in the AFL for cheatsBen Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 2:56 PM