- Child attacked by stranger in park
- Teenage pregnancy declining
- Teenage pregnancy declining
- Officers face misconduct hearing
- Offensive graffiti to be removed
- AFLPA fires back at ASADA
- 'I hope I never have to do it again'
- Why your digital TV cuts out
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- jgl Melb on 'Street culture mixed with Islamism' Why?you ask;Because that thing between the ears that allows the overwhelming majority of us to function normally and more ... more
- Christine on 'Street culture mixed with Islamism' Christ, everytime I turn on the TV it's Muslim this, Muslim that. What are they, the centre of the Universe? I don't think ... more
- Peggy on The angry and the bizarre: Radio ... Smells of corruption.What is even more strange is that Reeva's parents are satisfied with the sentence. Which parent would ... more
- King of Footscray on Paid parking approved for Yarraville Only fair and reasonable in my view, especially considering the reliance of paid parking revenue is currently heaped solely ... more
- Mik on Paid parking approved for Yarraville Its about time councils understand that they work for us, not the other way around. I dont actually think that council can ... more
- cChris watts on Paid parking approved for Yarraville why not get rid of all councils and just install an adminastratoerr..saves us all a small fortune more
- greg scott on Paid parking approved for Yarraville Madness.We do not need this 3rd level of government. more
- Peggy on Paid parking approved for Yarraville It's all about revenue raising so they have more money to give themselves payrises and nice trips around the world.Councils ... more
- Ursula Fajerman on 250 animals face death in bank action Wonderful news about the sanctuary. Thank you to the buyers and 3aw. This is the feel good news people need to wake up to. I ... more
- Catherine on Abbott not a 'mainstream world ... Who cares what the Russians says or believed they are morons like there leader and here in Australia they believe a ... more
- Stephen on 'It's a long rant. It's not banter' Oh lets not spend too much time on this he's an educated professor. Lets concentrate on removing Black from Baa Baa Black ... more
- Yank on Abbott not a 'mainstream world ... You should be proud to have a leader with guts. At least Abott's gotta pair we in the US are stuck with Mom Jeans as a ... more
- Andrea on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I bought a puppy from Greg and when it started growing I too doubted the breed of my puppy was what I had purchased. So, I ... more
- Brenda Mentz on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I have owned five miniature poodles and have no doubt this dog is part poodle. But the breed standard for miniature poodles ... more
- Lucy Richards on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' What utter crap this pet shop owner is talking, this dog would have come from a puppy farm. They work as he said on the ... more
- Colin Lacivita on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' How can you expect a dog not to grow and remain small. It's impossible. more
- Fran & Romeo on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I think that was a poorly conducted interview if you invite people to speak on your show don't try to ridicule them I didn't ... more
- Toby Bushby on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' Looks like a Cavoodle to me, with dominant Poodle genes. They can be very small, or grow to larger than this pup is. Ally ... more
- Mandi on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' Get over it and look after the dog it deserves a good life omg humans! more
- Peggy on Police probe school chook killing What is this need to decapitate anything with some people?I guess it might be training for future "tourists" to the middle ... more
Melbourne tanking allegations 'sickening'
This is about emotion. I am a Melbourne supporter and I feel a bit sick this morning because the evidence is growing that there was an official deliberate strategy not to win games, to pick up draft picks.
Now, I like most people had assumed there was a stage when they didn’t care if they lost because it meant better picks.
LISTEN BELOW: Former Melbourne Football Club President Paul Gardner
But I wouldn’t have thought there was a deliberate strategy, orchestrated, discussed and organised. If there was, and it is still an allegation, it disgusts me. It disappoints me. It makes me feel dirty.
Former Melb FC Pres says he walked out in the middle of games because his team was tanking. Incredible admission really. @3aw693— Justin Smith (@JustinSmith3AW) October 30, 2012
Caroline Wilson has a lot of detail in The Age today about meetings: Who was there and what was said. If she is right, people need to be punished and the system needs to change.
I have supported this club all my life and since 1964 they haven't had a premiership. Two grand final appearances is all they have in that time. If they worked to throw games, it undermines everything I have believed in for the club. It makes my support a joke and yours.
People invest emotion in these teams. People cry if they lose. People hand over their $100 membership and actually care. They defend their club and they take a ribbing and they show loyalty, bloody loyalty for heaven’s sake.
And if a club goes out to lose it breaks that trust, it insults every supporter and it takes their money under false pretenses.
Talking of money, people actually bet on games. If they have been thrown, that has huge legal implications.
But it is the emotional investment I care about here. This is a breach of trust by Melbourne if it happened, a massive breach of faith with supporters who have stayed around while we got thrashed.
At least on the basis we had hope, we had a chance and we were trying.
It disgusts me.
What’s left in sport? Cycling has been destroyed the the drug culture. Cricket, not Australia but others, match fixing. Racing, heaven knows what is going on there. In soccer, you even have idiots taking a dive.
And now we have football with serious accusations of playing to lose.
We tell kids sport is healthy. It breeds self respect and a sense of responsibility and accountability. We want our kids to get into sport because it builds a work ethic and a sense of team.
Not any more.
They might be better off playing video games. At least everybody is fair dinkum then.
LISTEN: Former Melbourne Football Club President Paul Gardner
TANKING: The AFL investigation into the Demons tanking scandal is being ramped up. The Age report several key witnesses have come forward with fresh evidence including repeated versions of at least one meeting in 2009.
I want to see Talking Footy Show back on now and hear Caroline Wilson and Garry Lyon debate this out about The Melbourne Football Club tanking. Considering there is nothing on television worth watching lately.Jillian Thursday 1 November, 2012 - 11:05 AM
Charge any individual involved heavily, never allow them to work in the AFL industry again, taking draft picks wouldn't be the right things as mark Neeld and current players had nothing to do with this, and are struggling enough as it is. I'm a Melbourne supporter and all i want is to see anyone who thinks tanking is acceptable out of the AFL without destroying the MFC in the processBen Thursday 1 November, 2012 - 9:50 AM
Niel, you feel "sick" because of the actions of a bunch of meathead footballers? You really need to get a life. There's alot more entertaining and worthwhile ways of spending your time than watching this midnless "sport".Peter Hillster Thursday 1 November, 2012 - 6:24 AM
as a demon member for years I am gutted....I know players were played out of their positions ( once the year was over for them)..but many many clubs do this,. Listen to the likes of Eddie who say no to punishment COS like lots of clubs this is/was common practice. Sort this out now Mr AFL...I have just renewed my MFC membership for 2013 and want to watch and support AFL footy !!!!!TB Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 9:44 PM
im sick of people sooking about cheating in sport.all elite sportsman and elite clubs cheat whenever they think they can get away with it.let them cheat,take drugs or whatever they need to do to compete at the highest leve.stop whinging and let the sportsman get on with it,i want to watch...garry Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 7:41 PM
Take the draft picks off them for the next two 2 yrs and give those picks to the teams that they had beaten or drew with. There is no place in the AFL for cheatsBen Wednesday 31 October, 2012 - 2:56 PM