- 'It's very little time for taking a life'
- Kennett: 'This is sheer incompetence'
- Ice driving killer verdict 'not adequate'
- Good idea or just rubbish?
- 'It's complex': Mayor defends slow Sydney Rd CCTV installation
- 'Blame the tradie, not contestants'
- Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of welfare'
- Classic or crazy? Cazaly re-made
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Aaaa on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... It doesn't set a good example does it! Just proves how easily anyone can get away with a situation like this. They are ... more
- Lukew on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... What would be enough? more
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
- Jane on Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of ... Well this is one thing i agree with. Tired of tip-toeing on this issue. There are not hundreds of Muslims that support ... more
- Linda on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Christine Milne is as big a threat to our national security as groups like ISIS. Even the tiniest chink in our political ... more
- GIW on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Yes Mylene, that is the aim of Islam to take over the world. As a caller on the Sunday Morning show yesterdays said, there ... more
- mylene on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Don't worry in a couple of years we'll be trading with ISIS and the Taliban and anyone who mentions the war will be shouted ... more
- Jeff on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... As parents of young kids i cannot believe Essendon has put James Hird back in as coach, Hird should have nothing to do with ... more
- Stephen on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... Doesn't know a lot really does he! Including if the Bombers took anything illeagal!AFL Another Fool Leader. more
- Diane on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... How silly to have a coaches meeting when there are finals on and other coaches are having their reviews. more
- Jimbob on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... I wonder what the risk factor is for those other clubs attempting to poach essendong starts caught in this. If the worst ... more
- Mel on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Our neighbours also have a fox terrier & it's one of the most aggressive & unsocialised dogs I have seen! Has prevented us ... more
- Wayne on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... to wendy who wrote "Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this ... more
- Sam Maglitto on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... I heard this report on the radio this afternoon and being a Dog Lover I was horrified to think there are other owners who ... more
- wendy on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this would get peoples ... more
- Stephanie on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Such a tragedy for all involved. more
- Robert on 'PM's popularity between asbestos and ... But when he opposes public transport, his ratings suffer. His being so good at opposing things, particularly public ... more
- jgl Melb on 'If Ashby is right, Pyne should quit' Christopher Pyne;Verbal gymnast extraordinaire...Putting it politely more
- Colin Lacivita on Phone scam targets grieving widow I always get emails promising me money. I don't care who they are I always send a email back warning that their contact ... more
Mick & Christi Malthouse: When football and family intersects
Christi Malthouse joined her famous football father Mick in studio with Neil Mitchell to speak openly about how her surname impacted her and her siblings’ upbringing, and the falling out with Collingwood president Eddie McGuire.
The newly-appointed Carlton coach said he always thought he had the Magpie president’s great friendship, but it was ‘put on the table’ during a contract negotiation on one occasion during McGuire’s tenure as Channel 9 chief executive.
"I’m Collingwood first, you’re second," Malthouse told Neil Mitchell McGuire said.
"I work the other way where it’s people first, the organisation second.
"The organisation is made up of people; People first."
VIDEO: Mick and Christi Malthouse with Neil Mitchell
Malthouse said while he doesn’t hold any resentment towards McGuire, he hasn’t spoken to McGuire his former friend in nearly a year and "won’t be going out of his way" to do so.
"I don’t hold grudges, but I do remember things."
Christi Malthouse spoke frankly of how the family was against Mick signing the succession deal, which led to Nathan Buckley taking over the Magpie helm.
"What we thought at the time was...are you going to be ready to stop coaching in two years? And he said, I don’t think I will be," she said.
"And we said well, that’s the main point for us. When you sign this contract, you’re going to have to stop coaching."
Mick’s family were immersed in the football culture from the outset. Christi described how football brought the family closer and gained them wonderful friends which they refer to as their ‘football family’. But with their involvement in high-profile footballing life can pitfalls.
"We all faced quite a lot of bullying. (For) my sister and I, it would be more abusive. For my brothers it was physical at times," she said.
"I do worry about my own children when they go to school."
Christi Malthouse's book 'Malthouse: A Football Life' will be released on 1st November.
Eddie offered Mick a cushy job so he could spend more time with his family.
Eddie ensured a much loved son of the club Nathan Buckley was given an opportunity to flourish in a coaching career. Not tossed in like Tony Shaw, Tim Watson, Spud Frawley etc who all failed.
The fans finally got a premiership once the rocket was lit under Micks behind.
Well done Eddie, pity Mick cant see the forest for his own wooden mind.Wayne Friday 26 October, 2012 - 9:28 AM
Good on you Eddie because your legacy to our club is that you always put Collingwood first.matt mumme Thursday 25 October, 2012 - 7:17 PM
Malthouse is the text book Egomaniac. It will NEVER be he who is the problem. He will sacrifice his friends, colleagues and other dispensables to achieve what HE wants. Carlton it is your turn.........he has arrived!Roy F Thursday 25 October, 2012 - 8:02 AM
Spot on David - well said. I am always confused that Mick signed a contract that he didnt want to sign. He appears to be very strong minded - I just cant see him being bullied into doing something he didnt want to do. This book release is turning into a circus. Who would buy it, we've heard all the stories a hundred times already - now they are just coming from his daughter - that must be accurate - no bias there.Kathy Wednesday 24 October, 2012 - 9:49 PM
Malthouse gets too much air-time on 3AW. Hey Neil, can you chat with someone else for a change?
Having said that, I fully agree with Mick's sentiments towards McGuire. People first and don't shaft your mates.
I am sure Mick will make a big difference to Carlton.Jake Wednesday 24 October, 2012 - 5:57 PM
"Iâ??m Collingwood first, youâ??re second," Malthouse told Neil Mitchell
McGuire said. "I work the other way where itâ??s people first, the organisation second.
Good on ya Mick! That statement just confirms everything that has been written about you - a self serving, selfish and conflicted individual who thought himself to be bigger than the Collingwood Football Club.
How dare McGuire think that he should put the interests of the Collingwood Football Club before the interests of Mick Malthouse!!
And that's right Mick, of course you should "remember" how you were treated by McGuire and not speak to him as a result. After all, here was a bloke who extended your tenure year-after-year despite 10 winless years. Probably ensured that you were delivered an additional $ 5M - $ 6M in the process. Why should you show McGuire any respect or gratitude Mick? It's just not in your nature!!
Your delusions of grandeur and sense of entitlement, just leaves me shaking my head in amazement!David Wednesday 24 October, 2012 - 4:01 PM