- Boy suspended for kissing girl's hand
- 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou a liar'
- Labor deal with Pies is 'ridiculous'
- 'Indian leaders must stand up for Australia'
- Father wants dog put down after attack
- Analogue TV switch-off
- Murdered Moonee Ponds man's possible link to Transfield
- Punting heartbreak: Family 'loses' $400k
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mandy on 'Indian leaders must stand up for ... Australia has been extremely generous to Indians and other nationalitys and has given them every opportunity to enrich their ... more
- Martin Kelly on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... THis is what happens when people step outside the system.ASADA has a very legitimate role to play and the AFL does not.ASADA ... more
- Peggy on Father wants dog put down after attack Typical, people let dogs supervise their kids rather than them having to do it.Why is any child left alone with a dog? How ... more
- Sheldon on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Why pick on Tania? Why not pick on Andrew for lying and misleading us? more
- JamesD on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... What was the AFL supposed to do? Let Essendon continue - play in finals -ignore everything. A negotiated settlement was ... more
- peter on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Lovely stuff the tit for tat continues. All this shows is how incompetent the AFL are in the handling of this matter and ... more
- lawyer verbalising crap on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... Think sideways, even out of the square, JGL. So far all you have done in your mediocre efforts to contribute on a myriad of ... more
- Jester4212 on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade @Roseagain. The SMART Meters communicate using low power RF electrical transmissions. Similar to that of your mobile ... more
- Jake on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... It is perfectly understandable why Tania is speaking out. Poor maligned James undoubtedly reached a soft deal with the AFL ... more
- Clarity on Labor deal with Pies is 'ridiculous' We are looking for a grant to purchase a property for the establishment of a refuge for victims of domestic violence. It is ... more
- colin on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade I wonder what all the real advantages of having a smart meter are. Is there a documented list provided by the electricity ... more
- Gloria on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... If you believe that Hird had nothing to do with the EFC supplement experiment, whether they were banned drugs or not, you ... more
- Willow on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Bulldust, Hird gaGged so the mIssus is now sticking up for him, as of course she would. Hird is complicit in an organised ... more
- Christine on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Hold on Neil, the EFC has been gagged and bullied, good on his wife for speaking out. There are always 2 sides to the story ... more
- Aditya on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... "She is wrong to portray him as the victim"??. No small amount of bias in the above blog. I'd like to see how you and your ... more
- Jester4212 on Father wants dog put down after attack Yeah the dog shouldn't be killed. I can't imagine how shocking it must still be for Trevor's family but putting the dog to ... more
- Toby Bushby on Father wants dog put down after attack Why are most of these comments about the father and his daughter somehow doing the wrong thing? I'm more concerned about ... more
- bernie on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Dear Neil.If Mr Demetriou has indeed been untruthful, and there seems to be some evidence of that, then this would simply ... more
- Shayne on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Good to see Neil sticking up for his mate Andrew. But did he tell porkies? more
- JamesD on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Being smart person has nil to do with it - she is Hird's wife and therefore completely compromised. Herald Sun puts her on ... more
Motorcyclists call for lane filtering, Police remain to be convinced
Motorcyclists are calling for legislation to allow for filtering in order to ease congestion on Victoria’s roads, but Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay says he remains to be convinced that the practice won’t see an increase in road trauma.
Speaking with Neil Mitchell, John Eacott from the Victorian Motorcycle Council said filtering was different to lane splitting, which sees a motorcycle moving through slow-moving or stationary traffic to reduce congestion as opposed to high speed traffic, and was encouraged in many countries throughout the world.
HAVE YOUR SAY: Do you think motorcyclists should be allowed to lane filter?
Mr Eacott said UK Police ran training courses on filtering for motorcyclists, and France was on the precipice of introducing it into their road laws.
"It benefits everyone; I just can't understand why it should be perceived as an issue such that it doesn't get encouraged," he said.
Mr Eacott said a Belgian study showed motorcycles reduced road congestion – if 10 per cent of vehicles on roads were two-wheeled, congestion would be reduced by 40 per cent.
"Filtering is just an adjunct of safe use of motorcycles in order to get them through the traffic, out of the way," he said.
However Police Chief Ken Lay said the vital information on how it will affect road trauma was missing.
"Whilst it's great to make the traffic flow better, and I understand a whole host of reasons why that should occur, show me the data that says this isn't going to kill and seriously injure more people," he said.
"My understanding is the Parliamentary Inquiry is actually recommended that some sort of pilot be run so we can actually get that data.
"Show me the research, let's make sure we're not hurting people and then we can go forward with it."
LISTEN: John Eacott from the Victorian Motorcycle Council speaks with Neil Mitchell:
Most motorcyclists do not have the slow riding skills to competently filter in traffic. The systems for putting riders on the road have not taken this into account. But they certainly believe their skills are far superior than is evidenced. Just another political ploy by activists with no regard to improving rider onus on safety.David Monday 20 May, 2013 - 8:01 PM
If Motorcyclists and Scooter riders has the opportunity to access bike lanes in the City than they could readily lane filtering and move to the front without any risk to road safety.
Te Government should allow lane filtering with the City of Melbourne and then look at the data to see if it compromises road safety. Lane filtering only occurs when cars are stationary or moving slowly (less than 10km a hour) at intersections..Melbcity Thursday 18 April, 2013 - 3:12 PM
Good question jay. Line Filtering, I assume, is allowing the motorbike to go down between lanes to ge to the front at traffic lights or move through jammed traffic. Without being allowed to "line filter' all advantages except fuel economy are extinguished. I rode a bike for five years in jakarta and I didn't ever see an accident caused by 'LF'. There should be actual motorbike-only lanes. A bike only needs a metre.jim morris Wednesday 23 January, 2013 - 9:43 PM
The atitude of drivers in Melb has a lot to do with why lane filtering is not as safe as other countries. In other countries drivers are motorbike / scooter / bicycle and pedestrian aware. In Melb it is none of the above. Teach motorists what drivers in other countries already do. Gia in Port Moresby. PNG.Gia Mann Sunday 23 December, 2012 - 3:49 PM
I am flabbergasted that Ken Lay claimed not to know the difference between splitting and filtering, he has been in the top job and co-ordinating motorcycle counter-measures long enough to know. By the way, I thought the Chief Commissioner's job was to implement, not determine the rules of the State.Dazzler Saturday 15 December, 2012 - 2:34 PM
Motorcyles; are hard to see when they filter on the left side of a moving semi not so long ago one rider was killed doing this near the westgate>..Steve Saturday 15 December, 2012 - 11:03 AM