- Anger over abortion clinic protest
- 'My dogs didn't do this'
- Playful seal salutes beachgoers
- 'This smells like a Napthine government rort'
- Cruel thieves swipe oxygen trolley
- 'We need to get tough on truckies'
- Hinch freed from jail sans beard
- Woman nearly dies after lack of labelling
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mike on 'My dogs didn't do this' dogs kill domestic animal, put them down, it's that simple more
- Jane on 'My dogs didn't do this' Yes all animals are loved. So what that's not a defence anymore than a thug's mother saying he is always a lovely boy and ... more
- katie on 'My dogs didn't do this' I am an animal lover, both cat and dog, i had a jack russell and CAT, few years ago, my jack russell attacked my cat and ... more
- annie king on 'My dogs didn't do this' these types of dogs should be more secured in anyones yard, she has not done this otherwise the dog would not have got out, ... more
- ian on 'My dogs didn't do this' Pam, If they were my dogs I would have done it at my own expense.?? Oh as if they were "MY DOGS" why should other people ... more
- pam on 'My dogs didn't do this' Ian, read the story.The lady has been at the Dept of Housing who own the property next door to have fences replaced.No funds ... more
- Sarah on 'My dogs didn't do this' My dogs chase and kill rabbits. Is my Council going to put them down or give them a reward. Come on!!! Animals have animal ... more
- Wendy on 'My dogs didn't do this' I am THE ultimate cat lover, however, if cats and dogs are not raised together, they are natural enemies( I also believe ... more
- ian on 'My dogs didn't do this' Why has she not had these dogs or dog registered,as she was told.Also fix the fences up. No excuse.?? more
- Samantha Piercy on 'My dogs didn't do this' I really hope the Frankston Council and Mayor of Frankston offer some kind of support to the family after the council put ... more
- Mark on 'My dogs didn't do this' Councils are siuch heartless animals.THEY are the cruel animals - who's going to punish THEM for the blood on THEIR hands! more
- wayne on Playful seal salutes beachgoers Wildlife officers should have been there to stop people getting to close, the elephant seal that was on a Perth beach ... more
- Mandi on Playful seal salutes beachgoers I couldn't agree more. more
- Angelo on Playful seal salutes beachgoers ^way to kill the mood!Great pics, great fun story more
- Greg on 'This smells like a Napthine government ... It's easy to stop the rort,don't play them. more
- Luke on Playful seal salutes beachgoers People are so clueless to what damage a wild seal can do to someone, particularly a child. But then many people are totally ... more
- ivan tipp on 'We need to get tough on truckies' Truckie bashing is GREAT for a few points Neil. But remember the driver of that small truck was a ratbag. more
- poppitt on Hinch freed from jail sans beard 50 days for $100,000.00 wow why would anyone pay fines. more
- jgl Melb on Hinch freed from jail sans beard A garden variety prison release,or the second coming of Christ? more
- Gloria on Hinch freed from jail sans beard Derryn, please, please, please grow your beard back. more
Neil Mitchell: Politicians are massively failing Australia
It has been a disgraceful week for leadership. This country is in trouble, and so is Victoria.
It is time for some home truths: the federal politicians are failing Australia – they are failing you. They are not government or opposing or analysing.
They are obsessed by trivia, they are massively hypocritical, they are – as a group – failing Australia. They are obsessed by the side show and ignoring the main game.
Yes, what Alan Jones said was appalling, but it did not deserve to obsess our country’s leaders.
Now, a comedian has told a sick, sexist joke about Tony Abbott and his staff at a union function at Parliament House. It’s claimed it was also offensive to his wife, Margie Abbott.
And that is obsessing them.
Wayne Swan is a hypocrite on this because Labor said Liberals should have walked out on Jones. But after the Abbott joke, Swan got up as a guest speaker for heaven’s sake.
Some in the media are failing you too. The Age has been obsessed by the Jones ugliness – they have reported the union ugliness on page nine. That is not even handed.
More home truths in government. Standards have gone. Morality has gone.
It is all about deals, point scoring, sniping, exaggerating and inventing. It’s not about leadership or what matters to the country.
Both sides are failing and they are playing games with our lives.
At a state level, home truths here, Ted Baillieu is weak. He is known as a decent man of principle, but one of his backbenchers has rorted public money and then arguably lied about it.
That is Geoff Shaw the member for Frankston. As we discussed yesterday, he has used his car and used public money to run his private business.
Staff have given detail of him telling them to use the public fuel card to run the car for private business, and then he denied it and arguably lied about it.
But he faces no action from his leader. Imagine if you rorted the cash till and then lied to the boss; you wouldn’t have a job and nor should you.
Ted Baillieu should have taken this bloke’s head off by now. But if he does, he could lose his majority of one, so he doesn’t.
No principles here, no morality here, no justice here. The whole problem underlying this disgrace in Australia and Victoria: knife-edge government.
It hasn’t led to better argument nor better scrutiny. It hasn’t led to more careful management and more receptive policy.
It has led to deals and made principles and decency irrelevant. It has led to a massive abuse of the process which is failing the voters.
We need elections and the sooner the better. In this sense, it doesn’t matter who wins, as long as they have a majority that lets them govern without this nonsense.
Politicians are failing Australia, that is the basic home truth. They are massively failing Australia.
Nobody stands for anything anymore. Decency and accountability is dead. The theatre is overwhelming the policy, self-interest is overwhelming leadership, and the people – you and , and what matters in our lives have been forgotten.
I would like to give them a list about what does matter in your life and what should they be doing for you. What are the issues that matter to you? What is the most important thing in your life that government should work on?
Is it unemployment after the figures went up yesterday? Is it the cost of living? Is it education? Or hospitals, which are going backwards in Victoria.
What should these people be doing and when do we get an election.
It has been a disgraceful week in Australia, disgusting really. And if we don’t get angry about it, they won’t get any better.
And one thing that should matter: money. The government keeps promising things it can’t pay for.
Former Labor heavy Graham Richardson in The Australian today is tipping a horror mini budget soon. He says the budget is blown out and he says the mini budget will be so tough.
It will make the debate over Gillard’s leadership irrelevant, because nobody will want to lead a party that isn’t finished. That is Graham Richardson, former number cruncher for Bob Hawke and others. He says it’s about to get really ugly.
LISTEN: Senator Stephen Conroy and Joe Hockey MP speak with Neil Mitchell:
Willow # you are too right. Turnbullsh is the best asset the Labor party has.
That guy would do anything really anything. That guy a PM? What! Ask Godwin Grech.Beatrice Wednesday 17 October, 2012 - 11:37 AM
As a female myself, as a young woman I worked in the dept.of air liquide,Melb the women, only 3 in the office were cliquey bitches to me cause I lived in Malvern, all 20 men were kind and decent. I left after 6 months. AUSSIE MEN beat the labour women hollow in niceness.niki Tuesday 16 October, 2012 - 1:06 PM
All you folk baying for the return of Malcolm Turnbull as Opposition Leader seem to have forgotten that he backed Juliar on her Carbon Tax. Malcolm should resign from the Libs, jump the fence and join Labor as his policies are more left than Conservative.Willow Tuesday 16 October, 2012 - 9:04 AM
3AW - the womens station. All those men telling women what they need to know.JamesD Monday 15 October, 2012 - 9:27 AM
@Nicky Davis - How gullible can one be? Gillard is simply using this agenda to divert attention from her own demise. How can one possibly think that her backing of Slipper - one who clearly detests women and Thomson - one who clearly sexually exploits women, to be standing up for women.
The scum bag is Gillard who is deliberately playing the gender card to deceive.
Gillard needs to start telling like it is rather than "keep telling it like it is". She is an habitual liar.
Please give women the respect they deserve rather than the BS that Gillard spins and is utterly contemptuous.Jake Sunday 14 October, 2012 - 8:15 PM
I couldn't agree with you more Neil well said.mandy Sunday 14 October, 2012 - 8:00 PM