- Victoria gets a sprinkling of the white stuff
- 'I'm angry at the mums for doing this'
- AFL boss's plans to lure fans back
- Why we need to fix the welfare system
- ACGA boss: 'I'm not happy'
- Driver captures unmarked camera car
- 'Banks need to improve their reputation'
- 'I feel like I've earned this'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Aria Judilla on Victoria gets a sprinkling of the white ... PJ, like most uneducated people, you're confusing "Climate Change" with "Global Warming". Do some research. more
- PJ on Victoria gets a sprinkling of the white ... This won't please the Warmists, looking to justify handing large sums of Aussie cash to greedy big bonus European Bankers! more
- David R on Victoria gets a sprinkling of the white ... Monstrous = old.It would have been there before they built the shopping centre and the council probably either wanted them ... more
- Gloss on Victoria gets a sprinkling of the white ... Tanya, perhaps their bloody stupid Council woudn't let them get rid of it. When weather events, like we have been ... more
- Hooksy of the Bush on Victoria gets a sprinkling of the white ... Tanya, don't you mean why on earth did someone build a car park under a monstrous gum tree? more
- heisdeadjim on Victoria gets a sprinkling of the white ... @Tanya. Being my local, there's a chance the tree was there before the car park...m more
- Tanya on Victoria gets a sprinkling of the white ... Re the tree down in Coles - Bayswater.Why on earth did someone plant a monstrous gum tree in a car park?The mind boggles. more
- IBARKER on Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save ... This is not only a man V women it can happen the other way. more
- Milton on Ron Iddles: 'This could actually save ... Why wait for 3 breaches, why not 2 or possibly just 1? more
- Steve on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... How can this man expect anybody to believe such rubbish? Recording a private conversation is legal as long as it is not ... more
- Joe Garra on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Why did they destroy someone else's property?? more
- Eric on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... What a beat up,who cares it is of no importance in the running of the State. Just another example of Neil Mitchell making a ... more
- poppitt on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... It appears Mr Andrews likes to call other politicians out for lying, cheating, stealing, but when it comes to members of his ... more
- Vallipuram on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... so it is ok to vandalise someone elses property As leader of opposition you accept responsibility for vandalism of property ... more
- Dallas on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Peter dalglish forget about tying to find the State Labor website on-line the way you spell you'll end up at a maternity ... more
- Stephen on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Oh and Mr Andrews the property was not yours to destroy!! So theft and criminal damage! The potential charges grow!! more
- Marko on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I'd like to know why no police charges have been laid against Daniel Andrews, Kosmos Samaras, etc? When I was a cop it was ... more
- Bruce on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Mr Andrews still did not take responsibility!He repeatedly stated "It is my responsibility to get to the bottom of it"He ... more
- Bob on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Dead man walking, Mr Andrews. You expect us to believe that all those around you knew about the tape, what was on it, copied ... more
- Kate on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Interesting comment he makes in the second half of the tape at 8.07 - "I first heard this and I am not entirely sure I have ... more
Neil Mitchell: Politicians are massively failing Australia
It has been a disgraceful week for leadership. This country is in trouble, and so is Victoria.
It is time for some home truths: the federal politicians are failing Australia – they are failing you. They are not government or opposing or analysing.
They are obsessed by trivia, they are massively hypocritical, they are – as a group – failing Australia. They are obsessed by the side show and ignoring the main game.
Yes, what Alan Jones said was appalling, but it did not deserve to obsess our country’s leaders.
Now, a comedian has told a sick, sexist joke about Tony Abbott and his staff at a union function at Parliament House. It’s claimed it was also offensive to his wife, Margie Abbott.
And that is obsessing them.
Wayne Swan is a hypocrite on this because Labor said Liberals should have walked out on Jones. But after the Abbott joke, Swan got up as a guest speaker for heaven’s sake.
Some in the media are failing you too. The Age has been obsessed by the Jones ugliness – they have reported the union ugliness on page nine. That is not even handed.
More home truths in government. Standards have gone. Morality has gone.
It is all about deals, point scoring, sniping, exaggerating and inventing. It’s not about leadership or what matters to the country.
Both sides are failing and they are playing games with our lives.
At a state level, home truths here, Ted Baillieu is weak. He is known as a decent man of principle, but one of his backbenchers has rorted public money and then arguably lied about it.
That is Geoff Shaw the member for Frankston. As we discussed yesterday, he has used his car and used public money to run his private business.
Staff have given detail of him telling them to use the public fuel card to run the car for private business, and then he denied it and arguably lied about it.
But he faces no action from his leader. Imagine if you rorted the cash till and then lied to the boss; you wouldn’t have a job and nor should you.
Ted Baillieu should have taken this bloke’s head off by now. But if he does, he could lose his majority of one, so he doesn’t.
No principles here, no morality here, no justice here. The whole problem underlying this disgrace in Australia and Victoria: knife-edge government.
It hasn’t led to better argument nor better scrutiny. It hasn’t led to more careful management and more receptive policy.
It has led to deals and made principles and decency irrelevant. It has led to a massive abuse of the process which is failing the voters.
We need elections and the sooner the better. In this sense, it doesn’t matter who wins, as long as they have a majority that lets them govern without this nonsense.
Politicians are failing Australia, that is the basic home truth. They are massively failing Australia.
Nobody stands for anything anymore. Decency and accountability is dead. The theatre is overwhelming the policy, self-interest is overwhelming leadership, and the people – you and , and what matters in our lives have been forgotten.
I would like to give them a list about what does matter in your life and what should they be doing for you. What are the issues that matter to you? What is the most important thing in your life that government should work on?
Is it unemployment after the figures went up yesterday? Is it the cost of living? Is it education? Or hospitals, which are going backwards in Victoria.
What should these people be doing and when do we get an election.
It has been a disgraceful week in Australia, disgusting really. And if we don’t get angry about it, they won’t get any better.
And one thing that should matter: money. The government keeps promising things it can’t pay for.
Former Labor heavy Graham Richardson in The Australian today is tipping a horror mini budget soon. He says the budget is blown out and he says the mini budget will be so tough.
It will make the debate over Gillard’s leadership irrelevant, because nobody will want to lead a party that isn’t finished. That is Graham Richardson, former number cruncher for Bob Hawke and others. He says it’s about to get really ugly.
LISTEN: Senator Stephen Conroy and Joe Hockey MP speak with Neil Mitchell:
Willow # you are too right. Turnbullsh is the best asset the Labor party has.
That guy would do anything really anything. That guy a PM? What! Ask Godwin Grech.Beatrice Wednesday 17 October, 2012 - 11:37 AM
As a female myself, as a young woman I worked in the dept.of air liquide,Melb the women, only 3 in the office were cliquey bitches to me cause I lived in Malvern, all 20 men were kind and decent. I left after 6 months. AUSSIE MEN beat the labour women hollow in niceness.niki Tuesday 16 October, 2012 - 1:06 PM
All you folk baying for the return of Malcolm Turnbull as Opposition Leader seem to have forgotten that he backed Juliar on her Carbon Tax. Malcolm should resign from the Libs, jump the fence and join Labor as his policies are more left than Conservative.Willow Tuesday 16 October, 2012 - 9:04 AM
3AW - the womens station. All those men telling women what they need to know.JamesD Monday 15 October, 2012 - 9:27 AM
@Nicky Davis - How gullible can one be? Gillard is simply using this agenda to divert attention from her own demise. How can one possibly think that her backing of Slipper - one who clearly detests women and Thomson - one who clearly sexually exploits women, to be standing up for women.
The scum bag is Gillard who is deliberately playing the gender card to deceive.
Gillard needs to start telling like it is rather than "keep telling it like it is". She is an habitual liar.
Please give women the respect they deserve rather than the BS that Gillard spins and is utterly contemptuous.Jake Sunday 14 October, 2012 - 8:15 PM
I couldn't agree with you more Neil well said.mandy Sunday 14 October, 2012 - 8:00 PM