- No 'specific' requests from US to Australia
- 'Luxury cars can cut the road toll'
- Firefighter's attack: 'I hope you never need us'
- Labor's tough new stance against 'evil'
- Asylum seekers launch legal action
- Boy charged over alleged coward punch
- CFMEU: 'Workers need RDOs'
- Political speech: Where do we draw the line?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mike on Labor's tough new stance against 'evil' So trafficking drugs away from a school is less illegal?And why drug busses? Target pubs/clubs! I hear more and more people ... more
- Eye for an Eye on Labor's tough new stance against 'evil' if you look at the history of the State Labour Government you will notice that they have always been soft on crime thanks to ... more
- elizabeth on Labor's tough new stance against 'evil' Since when has labor been strict with crime. I will never vote Labor. more
- R on Labor's tough new stance against 'evil' The only thing that I would add to this is is that they need to have counseling for the whole of there prison time instead ... more
- dee on Labor's tough new stance against 'evil' I see little point in increasing sentences when we have weak Judges letting people off with a slap on the wrist. more
- David THomas on 'The figures say it all' Statistical evidence mounts that the police often do not recruit the sharpest pencils in the box. Seriously. Turn the ... more
- John on 'The figures say it all' This is not about fairness, it is about deflecting responsibility. The camera system should conform to vehicles operating ... more
- Paul on 'The figures say it all' Have a look at the front of any modern bike and you will quickly see why it is not possible to put a front plate on. There ... more
- CHRIS WATTS on 'The figures say it all' i just cannot believe that a simple e tag cannot be stuck on the front of the bike...its so simple, surely... more
- Samuel J on 'The figures say it all' Motor cycles should have front and rear number plates. The notion that front number plates dissect pedestrians is complete ... more
- Mark on 'The figures say it all' All a bit of a joke, here in Europe, bikes get a much larger rear plate... more than double the size. Aussies often hide the ... more
- Richard on 'The figures say it all' If its such a problem why are the Penisula Link cameras facing the front? The fault is in the camera system. more
- Tom Bysen on 'The figures say it all' Why not ban bikes altogether? We can all sit jammed on the freeway, in our 2tonne suv's being safe. more
- John Karmouche on 'The figures say it all' Everyone is barking up the wrong tree. Its not about putting a number plate on a motorcycle- that's the cover story the ... more
- Lukew on 'The figures say it all' Commissioner Gordon Lewis can huff and puff all he likes but this is about the money. Never mind the doubt, why would we ... more
- poppitt on 'The figures say it all' Against the law to ride a bike that does have number plates back and front. Fine them $500 for each plate that is not ... more
- Time for a career change Neil on 'The figures say it all' Gee, it must be almost the 3rd week of the month. Time for Neil to roll out the anti motorcycle vitriol again. The same ... more
- Otto on 'The figures say it all' Anything to justify the cash cows, how many of these thousands of lethal speeding motorcycles actually result in a fatality ... more
- Gazza on Top cop concerned over pokies gang Multiculturalism at its finest more
- dom on Spot the 'ghost'? Sorry the line for popcorn was long... more
Neil Mitchell: 'The Church needs to be put in the witness box'
Image: Cardinal George Pell (FFX)
NEIL MITCHELL: George Pell is the most senior Catholic in the country and he doesn’t get it on child abuse by the church.
He just doesn’t get it or he is so determined to protect the church he is blind.
He says: 1. The Church is not the only culprit in this.
2. He says victims have already had justice.
3. There is no need for a Royal Commission.
Not for the first time George Pell is totally wrong in my view.
Completely out of touch with the pain and the community outrage about what has happened.
Reports continue today that the church has been covering up child abuse.
I want a Royal Commission.
I want George Pell on the stand, under oath, forensically questioned.
That might get it through to him, rather than standing in a pulpit beyond question.
George Pell and anybody else necessary.
I think a federal royal commission is the only answer.
Victoria’s committee is not up to it and NSW is not showing the determination needed.
The pressure is building on Julia Gillard. She must do something here.
I hope it is a Royal Commission, but if she can find another manner of investigation that is good enough, then so be it.
The Church needs to be put in the witness box, the community is owed the truth.
The followers of the church are owed the truth.
Their victims more than anything are owed that little satisfaction.
Julia Gillard must act on it and I believe she will.
I can tell that most people have a dislike for what the church teaches despite all the good that it does. Yet those same people would be happy to provide the church with advice. I am happy for you to keep your advice . Victims can always go to the police to stop any cover up. We have right to believe want we, hence not only do we choose disagree with you, but your own consicience must makes you unsettled. You have the right to be wrong, and biased , and obivious bigots. Someone has to defend a church too polite to have suicide bombers. The church that is the greatest social service in the world , the church that gives the most help to the poor and needy. The church that donates more aid than most countries do. Get a clue Mitchell.Nogodequalsnomorals Wednesday 21 November, 2012 - 11:14 PM
IF the church gets put on the witness box, watch to see if they swear on the bible or by an affirmation (not on the bible. Heard of recent cases where priests refuse to swear on the bible in these abuse cases. They are lying - disgusting.Tricky Wednesday 21 November, 2012 - 10:59 AM
The scandal in the Catholic Church !.don't they mean the scandal that is the Catholic Church .
the only honest and intelligent thing Mr Pell has ever said during the Richard Dawkins debate..
was that ' the book of Genesis was not to be taken literally ,as it is just a metaphor for good and evil"
no question as to what side Mr Pell is on.
he doesn't even speak for the Australian Bishops..this week alone a retired bishop has called him a 'great embarrassment '.
he speaks for no one but himself and his aptly named pope Ratzinger "the absolute monarchy"!
..as we speak Human Rights lawyers, experts in International law and advocacy groups from various
countries are filing charges and urging the International Criminal Court in The Hague to intervene and prosecute Pope Benedict XV1 and other top Vatican hierarchy for Crimes against Humanity
for the 'systematic and widespread cover-up's of paedophile priests.
"Petty gossip" is how the pope has described irrefutable evidence of serious crimes..
He said 'sorry ' and can't understand why the whole thing hasn't blown over ..
Pell mimicked that sentiment last week.
The Vatican is claiming diplomatic immunity that protects the pope from any responsibility.
Read Geoffrey Roberson QC "A case of the Pope'..
Read the Irish Royal commission into Church sexual abuse findings.
Join 'Project Reason '. to get the pope to The Hague.
Lets not waste time on the Pell's of this world
he is just a silly puppet.Rosemary Friday 16 November, 2012 - 6:31 PM
What did you do Neil "bitchall", that will is going to be reported by other media in the new year..How about the link between you and robert clarke, and the renegade three "JUDAS GOATS" who run with the hare and hunt with hounds ALONG THE EASTERN SEABOARD IN AUSTRALIA...my my you have left yourself wide open...all in the interests of.. I believe public scrutiny..well what do tom cats do at nite...justice coming up and back Friday 16 November, 2012 - 11:16 AM
It's all a big disgrace. Every Catholic who attends any church, paying money and supporting the worlds largest legal pedofile ring should hang their heads in shame. Your organisation is responsible for more deaths than most outlawed terrorist organisations. In my opinion the whole Church should be outlawed in Australia. The destruction, death and hurt that this supposed holier than thou organisation has imposed on it's innocent followers is unacceptable and every day that passes that the government drags it's feet only goes to show how they really don't care. So you think it's still not happening now , thats it's stopped .... then you obviously don't think. George Pell has overseen all this for many years and swept it under the carpet. The evidence has been known widely for so long. How long can they get away with this? OUTLAW THIS FILTHY DESPICABLE GROUP. I'm sorry to say again if you go and support this organization knowing what they have perpetrated then how do you live with yourself.Daniel Thursday 15 November, 2012 - 4:41 AM
To all of you saying other Insitututions should be made accountable too! They will be as this enquiry will encompass ALL acts of paedophilia in Australia not just in the catholic church but it is well known that the majority of abuse was within the catholic church by clergy and is STILL being covered up by the likes of Pell.GIW Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 11:05 AM