- Fuel discount ban will save prices
- Gay couple marry despite expected challenge
- Qantas ads 'political spin'
- Christmas cheer for young Rhyan
- Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl
- Take away Camilleri's privileges
- Racial abuse on the rise
- Why demean Gallipoli?
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- mcallaway on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl This isnt the first time and probably not the last its appalling to see 5 big blokes(thugs in uniform) turn to this type off ... more
- Stephen on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl Slamming a 15 year old girl to the floor is reasonable force. she may have been in wrong but really? Minister sorry no ... more
- John on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl The girls were pretty feral etc and did the wrong thing re: ticket. But I'm not convinced anyone deserves to be treated like ... more
- release the hounds on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl Quick call out the hired thugs. looks like a teen girl is travelling without a ticket. now thats really are isn't it. ... more
- Paul Chandler on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl Read the transport act which states that a fare may be paid before, during or after a journey. Inspectors should offer that ... more
- Mark on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl One of the girls spat in the face of the poor man simply trying to do his job. I put it to any one of the do-gooders ... more
- yvonne on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl If you give no respect you get no recept simple...Oh it's always someone else's fault. Buy a ticket.. Simple... more
- Jan Lannan on Christmas cheer for young Rhyan This person deserves some kindness she has her hands full with her young boy & his problems hope this will make it a ... more
- Steve on Qantas ads 'political spin' The unions have ripped the guts out of Qantas let them prop them up instead of the tax payer>! more
- bc on Qantas ads 'political spin' so much spin and bull tish all they have to do is cancel 1 new aircraft and guess what their level thats how easy it is ti ... more
- Lukew on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl I agree that this is an over reaction, but there has to be some way to deal with this complete lack of respect. The ... more
- Libby on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl Simply buying a ticket will help avoid this response from staff who are charged with the responsibility to put into effect a ... more
- Gazza on Qantas ads 'political spin' Management need to take pay cuts and give workers pay rises to lift productivity........ more
- Mandii on Christmas cheer for young Rhyan Thanks everyone for your support for rhyan Jeremy is donating rhyan a new bike and we are now saving for a shed to lock his ... more
- Alvin on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl I think the ticket inspector shouldn't given an authority to use the force to the customer. If you look at the metro system ... more
- tim on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl These 'Clockwork Orange' thugs are licensed bullies. How about some perspective? Yet again we have a commuter being ... more
- mick on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl No undue force was used and she was assaulting the railway security personal in resisting arrest. Police would have tasered ... more
- Ben on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl To be body slammed over a ticket it's a Joke, in all my years I've never seen a police officer do a body slam on a child ... more
- G. Gaters on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl And on top of all this, remember that any undeducted fares on 31st Dec. will be deducted from your Myki card at the higher ... more
- James on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl Slopping work given how many officers were standing around. She shouldn't have gotten through the unmanned gate in the first ... more
Neil Mitchell: Time to ease up on betting ads
NEIL MITCHELL: Are you getting sick of the sports betting advertisements?
I think it is time to back off. I reckon you can damn near bet now on how a player is going to wear their socks in the next five minutes of the game.
And the ads are irritating. Some say they are dangerous.
Jeff Kennett wants to ban all advertising of all gaming, even Tattslotto. I think that is silly.
But I reckon it’s time for the industry to indulge in a dose of self-regulation here.
Because if they don’t they are opening the door.
I know that Bill Shorten and Joe Hockey are opposed to the level of advertising as well.
Some of the worst offenders in this won’t talk to me.
Tom Waterhouse for example. All those advertisements.... not too much accountability.
YOUR SAY: Should the level of betting advertisments in the media be reduced?
LISTEN HERE: Tabcorp chief executive David Attenborough speaks with Neil Mitchell
The fact that these companies make money off peoples backs, by providing a service that is addictive to some people should mean they forfeit any right to advertise publicly or be allowed to communicate via social media.
You should only be able to seek this service.
It should not be in our face because for some it's handing them a gun.Daniel Friday 8 March, 2013 - 2:09 PM
I reckon its time to ease up on the funeral ads.max Monday 19 November, 2012 - 9:18 PM
jeff kennett you"re a hypocrite!fancy saying that they should ban all gambling ads,yet is was you and your goverment that took a huge gamble and sold our electricity grid to overseas companys.and lost......garry Friday 16 November, 2012 - 7:40 PM
Neil, have you yet lost count of the caravans of "rusted-on" sycophants, who appear to be completely devoid of any coherent, objective and rational discourse about the plethora of these apparently urgent and pressing issues you prosecute with such vehemence and vitriol?Christopher Holdstock Friday 16 November, 2012 - 1:06 PM
How many suicides are attributed to gambling each year? How many divorces are attributed to gambling? Crown Casino was the worst thing ever to happen to Victoria. It has destroyed thousands of peoples lives. It has taken thousands of jobs out of local economies. It has taken over a billion dollars from local economies. It primary food source is problem gamblers. The only people who benefit from Crown are the government and the shareholders. All gambling advertising should be stopped.Vicky Laing Friday 16 November, 2012 - 12:24 PM
It just seems hypocritical that we have a noticeable gambling problem, but then we have so many gambling ads promoting it.
At the end of the day, the gambling companies have the right to advertise their products and promote their business, the responsibility must come back to the person, and not to blame others for their mistakes.adam Friday 16 November, 2012 - 12:18 PM