- Child attacked by stranger in park
- Teenage pregnancy declining
- Teenage pregnancy declining
- Officers face misconduct hearing
- Offensive graffiti to be removed
- AFLPA fires back at ASADA
- 'I hope I never have to do it again'
- Why your digital TV cuts out
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- jgl Melb on 'Street culture mixed with Islamism' Why?you ask;Because that thing between the ears that allows the overwhelming majority of us to function normally and more ... more
- Christine on 'Street culture mixed with Islamism' Christ, everytime I turn on the TV it's Muslim this, Muslim that. What are they, the centre of the Universe? I don't think ... more
- Peggy on The angry and the bizarre: Radio ... Smells of corruption.What is even more strange is that Reeva's parents are satisfied with the sentence. Which parent would ... more
- King of Footscray on Paid parking approved for Yarraville Only fair and reasonable in my view, especially considering the reliance of paid parking revenue is currently heaped solely ... more
- Mik on Paid parking approved for Yarraville Its about time councils understand that they work for us, not the other way around. I dont actually think that council can ... more
- cChris watts on Paid parking approved for Yarraville why not get rid of all councils and just install an adminastratoerr..saves us all a small fortune more
- greg scott on Paid parking approved for Yarraville Madness.We do not need this 3rd level of government. more
- Peggy on Paid parking approved for Yarraville It's all about revenue raising so they have more money to give themselves payrises and nice trips around the world.Councils ... more
- Ursula Fajerman on 250 animals face death in bank action Wonderful news about the sanctuary. Thank you to the buyers and 3aw. This is the feel good news people need to wake up to. I ... more
- Catherine on Abbott not a 'mainstream world ... Who cares what the Russians says or believed they are morons like there leader and here in Australia they believe a ... more
- Stephen on 'It's a long rant. It's not banter' Oh lets not spend too much time on this he's an educated professor. Lets concentrate on removing Black from Baa Baa Black ... more
- Yank on Abbott not a 'mainstream world ... You should be proud to have a leader with guts. At least Abott's gotta pair we in the US are stuck with Mom Jeans as a ... more
- Andrea on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I bought a puppy from Greg and when it started growing I too doubted the breed of my puppy was what I had purchased. So, I ... more
- Brenda Mentz on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I have owned five miniature poodles and have no doubt this dog is part poodle. But the breed standard for miniature poodles ... more
- Lucy Richards on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' What utter crap this pet shop owner is talking, this dog would have come from a puppy farm. They work as he said on the ... more
- Colin Lacivita on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' How can you expect a dog not to grow and remain small. It's impossible. more
- Fran & Romeo on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I think that was a poorly conducted interview if you invite people to speak on your show don't try to ridicule them I didn't ... more
- Toby Bushby on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' Looks like a Cavoodle to me, with dominant Poodle genes. They can be very small, or grow to larger than this pup is. Ally ... more
- Mandi on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' Get over it and look after the dog it deserves a good life omg humans! more
- Peggy on Police probe school chook killing What is this need to decapitate anything with some people?I guess it might be training for future "tourists" to the middle ... more
Neil Mitchell: Time to ease up on betting ads
NEIL MITCHELL: Are you getting sick of the sports betting advertisements?
I think it is time to back off. I reckon you can damn near bet now on how a player is going to wear their socks in the next five minutes of the game.
And the ads are irritating. Some say they are dangerous.
Jeff Kennett wants to ban all advertising of all gaming, even Tattslotto. I think that is silly.
But I reckon it’s time for the industry to indulge in a dose of self-regulation here.
Because if they don’t they are opening the door.
I know that Bill Shorten and Joe Hockey are opposed to the level of advertising as well.
Some of the worst offenders in this won’t talk to me.
Tom Waterhouse for example. All those advertisements.... not too much accountability.
YOUR SAY: Should the level of betting advertisments in the media be reduced?
LISTEN HERE: Tabcorp chief executive David Attenborough speaks with Neil Mitchell
The fact that these companies make money off peoples backs, by providing a service that is addictive to some people should mean they forfeit any right to advertise publicly or be allowed to communicate via social media.
You should only be able to seek this service.
It should not be in our face because for some it's handing them a gun.Daniel Friday 8 March, 2013 - 2:09 PM
I reckon its time to ease up on the funeral ads.max Monday 19 November, 2012 - 9:18 PM
jeff kennett you"re a hypocrite!fancy saying that they should ban all gambling ads,yet is was you and your goverment that took a huge gamble and sold our electricity grid to overseas companys.and lost......garry Friday 16 November, 2012 - 7:40 PM
Neil, have you yet lost count of the caravans of "rusted-on" sycophants, who appear to be completely devoid of any coherent, objective and rational discourse about the plethora of these apparently urgent and pressing issues you prosecute with such vehemence and vitriol?Christopher Holdstock Friday 16 November, 2012 - 1:06 PM
How many suicides are attributed to gambling each year? How many divorces are attributed to gambling? Crown Casino was the worst thing ever to happen to Victoria. It has destroyed thousands of peoples lives. It has taken thousands of jobs out of local economies. It has taken over a billion dollars from local economies. It primary food source is problem gamblers. The only people who benefit from Crown are the government and the shareholders. All gambling advertising should be stopped.Vicky Laing Friday 16 November, 2012 - 12:24 PM
It just seems hypocritical that we have a noticeable gambling problem, but then we have so many gambling ads promoting it.
At the end of the day, the gambling companies have the right to advertise their products and promote their business, the responsibility must come back to the person, and not to blame others for their mistakes.adam Friday 16 November, 2012 - 12:18 PM