- Lambie: 'I'm a normal Aussie girl'
- New party wants seats for cyclists
- Epic walk 'changed our lives'
- 'There’s mortars going off now in Donetsk'
- 'I don't trust them. Watch your bills'
- 'Show some backbone': Napthine's message to UN, Putin
- Vandals target CFA stations
- Cadel Evans launches Geelong race
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Mandi on 'There’s mortars going off now in ... I agree Mylene they have an extremely deranged veiw on this horrific tragedy which is making the situation so much more ... more
- Milton on Epic walk 'changed our lives' Well done guys! more
- mylene on 'There’s mortars going off now in ... Back in the trenches in WWI we all stopped fighting for Xmas dinner and even played a game of soccer with the hun. These ... more
- jgl Melb on 'I don't trust them. Watch your bills' Power companies are slowly overhauling politicians and journalists as the masters of verbal gymnastics more
- Daniel on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' And now you're contributing to the problem Neil. It's not the fact that he just said 'something wrong' it's his mentality. ... more
- Eleanor Steel on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' Get rid of Taylor 3aw doesn't need an idiot big mouth like him!908DPC more
- Richie on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' Hearing Taylor lose his cool tonight on Sports Today when questioned about why some people don't see the apology as being ... more
- Delboy on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' The guy is living in the 80's. You can tell that by the mo. Lost me. more
- bc on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' brian taylor 2m words BIG MOUTH more
- poppitt on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' On 3aw last week you had 'like a girl' I was so pleased, I thought people are realising what they say has meaning. Now this ... more
- Stephen on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' Yet again political correctness gone mad!! Where does it stop I'm short for example as many are can we start demanding what ... more
- Nooky Hayes on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' How do you think Harry's wife feels when BT can say this and everyone say's don't worry about it. more
- Donna Grant on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' His comments were homophobic and unpleasant. Why can't he just behave like a grown up person.I usually listen to 3 AW on the ... more
- Gloria on 'Dumb, stupid, but not homophobic' It's about time homosexuals got over themselves and developed a sense of humour. I have never forgiven them for pinching the ... more
- Jan Widdop on Photos: Neil Mitchell's new puppy Cute puppy, enjoy him! more
- Georgia on Photos: Neil Mitchell's new puppy Lighten up Gloss, it's a happy subject. Don't be such a sourpuss. Cute puppy Neil more
- PJ on Photos: Neil Mitchell's new puppy And there's me thinking he'd been sent away for 'Lefty Training' to compete with Jon.Anyone that loves dogs is fundamentally ... more
- mylene on Thorpe's sexuality 'never an issue' I didn't watch any of those shows. Silent Witness and The Tunnel rule in my house. more
- Gloss on Thorpe's sexuality 'never an issue' None of us are shocked, we all knew long ago. more
- Gloss on Photos: Neil Mitchell's new puppy Don't think this dog is 'cute', he has a very sad eyes. Have to question why so many comments are printed about a dog when ... more
Neil Mitchell: Time to ease up on betting ads
NEIL MITCHELL: Are you getting sick of the sports betting advertisements?
I think it is time to back off. I reckon you can damn near bet now on how a player is going to wear their socks in the next five minutes of the game.
And the ads are irritating. Some say they are dangerous.
Jeff Kennett wants to ban all advertising of all gaming, even Tattslotto. I think that is silly.
But I reckon it’s time for the industry to indulge in a dose of self-regulation here.
Because if they don’t they are opening the door.
I know that Bill Shorten and Joe Hockey are opposed to the level of advertising as well.
Some of the worst offenders in this won’t talk to me.
Tom Waterhouse for example. All those advertisements.... not too much accountability.
YOUR SAY: Should the level of betting advertisments in the media be reduced?
LISTEN HERE: Tabcorp chief executive David Attenborough speaks with Neil Mitchell
The fact that these companies make money off peoples backs, by providing a service that is addictive to some people should mean they forfeit any right to advertise publicly or be allowed to communicate via social media.
You should only be able to seek this service.
It should not be in our face because for some it's handing them a gun.Daniel Friday 8 March, 2013 - 2:09 PM
I reckon its time to ease up on the funeral ads.max Monday 19 November, 2012 - 9:18 PM
jeff kennett you"re a hypocrite!fancy saying that they should ban all gambling ads,yet is was you and your goverment that took a huge gamble and sold our electricity grid to overseas companys.and lost......garry Friday 16 November, 2012 - 7:40 PM
Neil, have you yet lost count of the caravans of "rusted-on" sycophants, who appear to be completely devoid of any coherent, objective and rational discourse about the plethora of these apparently urgent and pressing issues you prosecute with such vehemence and vitriol?Christopher Holdstock Friday 16 November, 2012 - 1:06 PM
How many suicides are attributed to gambling each year? How many divorces are attributed to gambling? Crown Casino was the worst thing ever to happen to Victoria. It has destroyed thousands of peoples lives. It has taken thousands of jobs out of local economies. It has taken over a billion dollars from local economies. It primary food source is problem gamblers. The only people who benefit from Crown are the government and the shareholders. All gambling advertising should be stopped.Vicky Laing Friday 16 November, 2012 - 12:24 PM
It just seems hypocritical that we have a noticeable gambling problem, but then we have so many gambling ads promoting it.
At the end of the day, the gambling companies have the right to advertise their products and promote their business, the responsibility must come back to the person, and not to blame others for their mistakes.adam Friday 16 November, 2012 - 12:18 PM