- 'It's very little time for taking a life'
- Kennett: 'This is sheer incompetence'
- Ice driving killer verdict 'not adequate'
- Good idea or just rubbish?
- 'It's complex': Mayor defends slow Sydney Rd CCTV installation
- 'Blame the tradie, not contestants'
- Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of welfare'
- Classic or crazy? Cazaly re-made
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Aaaa on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... It doesn't set a good example does it! Just proves how easily anyone can get away with a situation like this. They are ... more
- Lukew on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... What would be enough? more
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
- Jane on Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of ... Well this is one thing i agree with. Tired of tip-toeing on this issue. There are not hundreds of Muslims that support ... more
- Linda on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Christine Milne is as big a threat to our national security as groups like ISIS. Even the tiniest chink in our political ... more
- GIW on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Yes Mylene, that is the aim of Islam to take over the world. As a caller on the Sunday Morning show yesterdays said, there ... more
- mylene on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Don't worry in a couple of years we'll be trading with ISIS and the Taliban and anyone who mentions the war will be shouted ... more
- Jeff on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... As parents of young kids i cannot believe Essendon has put James Hird back in as coach, Hird should have nothing to do with ... more
- Stephen on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... Doesn't know a lot really does he! Including if the Bombers took anything illeagal!AFL Another Fool Leader. more
- Diane on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... How silly to have a coaches meeting when there are finals on and other coaches are having their reviews. more
- Jimbob on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... I wonder what the risk factor is for those other clubs attempting to poach essendong starts caught in this. If the worst ... more
- Mel on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Our neighbours also have a fox terrier & it's one of the most aggressive & unsocialised dogs I have seen! Has prevented us ... more
- Wayne on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... to wendy who wrote "Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this ... more
- Sam Maglitto on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... I heard this report on the radio this afternoon and being a Dog Lover I was horrified to think there are other owners who ... more
- wendy on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this would get peoples ... more
- Stephanie on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Such a tragedy for all involved. more
- Robert on 'PM's popularity between asbestos and ... But when he opposes public transport, his ratings suffer. His being so good at opposing things, particularly public ... more
- jgl Melb on 'If Ashby is right, Pyne should quit' Christopher Pyne;Verbal gymnast extraordinaire...Putting it politely more
- Colin Lacivita on Phone scam targets grieving widow I always get emails promising me money. I don't care who they are I always send a email back warning that their contact ... more
Neil Mitchell: Time to ease up on betting ads
NEIL MITCHELL: Are you getting sick of the sports betting advertisements?
I think it is time to back off. I reckon you can damn near bet now on how a player is going to wear their socks in the next five minutes of the game.
And the ads are irritating. Some say they are dangerous.
Jeff Kennett wants to ban all advertising of all gaming, even Tattslotto. I think that is silly.
But I reckon it’s time for the industry to indulge in a dose of self-regulation here.
Because if they don’t they are opening the door.
I know that Bill Shorten and Joe Hockey are opposed to the level of advertising as well.
Some of the worst offenders in this won’t talk to me.
Tom Waterhouse for example. All those advertisements.... not too much accountability.
YOUR SAY: Should the level of betting advertisments in the media be reduced?
LISTEN HERE: Tabcorp chief executive David Attenborough speaks with Neil Mitchell
The fact that these companies make money off peoples backs, by providing a service that is addictive to some people should mean they forfeit any right to advertise publicly or be allowed to communicate via social media.
You should only be able to seek this service.
It should not be in our face because for some it's handing them a gun.Daniel Friday 8 March, 2013 - 2:09 PM
I reckon its time to ease up on the funeral ads.max Monday 19 November, 2012 - 9:18 PM
jeff kennett you"re a hypocrite!fancy saying that they should ban all gambling ads,yet is was you and your goverment that took a huge gamble and sold our electricity grid to overseas companys.and lost......garry Friday 16 November, 2012 - 7:40 PM
Neil, have you yet lost count of the caravans of "rusted-on" sycophants, who appear to be completely devoid of any coherent, objective and rational discourse about the plethora of these apparently urgent and pressing issues you prosecute with such vehemence and vitriol?Christopher Holdstock Friday 16 November, 2012 - 1:06 PM
How many suicides are attributed to gambling each year? How many divorces are attributed to gambling? Crown Casino was the worst thing ever to happen to Victoria. It has destroyed thousands of peoples lives. It has taken thousands of jobs out of local economies. It has taken over a billion dollars from local economies. It primary food source is problem gamblers. The only people who benefit from Crown are the government and the shareholders. All gambling advertising should be stopped.Vicky Laing Friday 16 November, 2012 - 12:24 PM
It just seems hypocritical that we have a noticeable gambling problem, but then we have so many gambling ads promoting it.
At the end of the day, the gambling companies have the right to advertise their products and promote their business, the responsibility must come back to the person, and not to blame others for their mistakes.adam Friday 16 November, 2012 - 12:18 PM